Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

• Rowki Adopts • Open! by videlicet

Based on Click to view
Artist videlicet [gallery]
Time spent 1 hour
Drawing sessions 4
18 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

• Rowki Adopts • Open!

Postby videlicet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:22 pm

• pronounced row-kai •

Deep in the rainforests of Borneo, there lives an elusive species of feline, of the genus Panthera, and the common name of Rowki. Our world harbours many secrets, and this is one of the more startling ones. The Rowki is what has been referred to as a 'scientific anomaly', in that it possesses both feline and avian characteristics. The physical features that have marked it so are a ridge of feathers extending along the back of its neck, and a large feather sprouting from its tail-tip. It is something new, something special. Scientists have been at an utter and complete loss as how to explain this 'mixing' of avian and feline DNA. Extensive research has been done on it (though with little result), and many an unfortunate party of biologists have forayed into the rainforest in the attempt to procure a specimen for study. They're hard to catch, though, are the Rowki. They are incredibly light on their paws, and naturally shy. It takes a lot of time and effort to gain their trust -but when you have it, the bond nigh on unbreakable.
The Rowki is still a 'new' species, in terms of discovery, and many aspects of their natures are still uncertain. But, what we do know is expounded on below, so if you want to learn more about the Rowki, by all means, read on.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Felidae
Genus: Panthera
Species: P. pluma

Lifespan: 25 years
Habitat: Borneo

Birth
After 4 months of pregnancy

Eyes Open
Two weeks of age

Weaned
Seven to eight weeks of age

Leaving the Den
At two to four months of age

Learning to Hunt
As soon as they begin to leave
the den, they will begin to
follow their mother around
and learn from her

Leaving their Mother
Though they can most likely fend
for themselves at about two years
most Rowki stay with their
mothers for three to four years

Able to Mate
Female Rowki are able to mate
at four years of age, males
at five

Death
If they are lucky and healthy,
they can live up to 25 years

Viszla7
Creator | Artist | Mod
The Last Raven
Artist
~Just.Peachy~
Artist
[ s k r i l l e x ]

h u r r i c a n e.

Currently not
searching for any more mods
or artists!

If you fail to heed these rules, you
will first be warned, the, if you
continue to disregard them,
suspended, and, lastly,
banned. But, the moderators
and myself also have the right
to suspend or ban you outright,
depending on the seriousness
of your breach.

•Please respect artists, moderators,
and fellow CS users.
•Don't copy line-art/designs/species.
•Don't take off CS without
permission.
•Do not use/take adoptables that
don't belong to you.
•Please don't whine, beg, or bribe.
It doesn't work.
•This is not a first-come,
first-serve adoption agency. I will
choose who recieves which Rowki
based on the quality of the form.
•If you have an unanswered question,
please PM me! I'll be happy to help!
•You can adopt up to 4 Rowki.

None, yet!
The Rowki are an extremely large species -in fact, they are the largest of all of the big cats, almost reaching the shoulders of a 6-foot human whilst standing on all four paws. (View sizing chart below)

As well, they are extremely well-muscled, having a very high muscle to mass ratio on average. Much of this muscle is based in their legs, making them extraordinarily fast sprinters. It also lends them jumping power, and a Rowki has been observed leaping an obstacle twice its height. But, this strength also has its cons -one of them being the fact that they have poor stamina (in comparison to other, leaner big cats), and cannot run well for extended periods of time. As well, they require much food to sustain them.
Another feature that could be remarked upon would be the size of their jaw -very useful for the hunting of larger prey. They have 30 teeth -comparatively fewer than most other carnivores, though all of these teeth are lethally sharp. Rowki have retractable claws that, when extended, reach a length of 4 -5 inches.
Their pelts come in a wide variety of colours -from the lightest beige, to the darkest brown. Their markings seem to have an endless variety -stripes, spots, bands, speckles... You name it. There have also been reports of melanistic and albino Rowki, but these are unconfirmed. Their eyes seem to come in all colours of the rainbow, as do the feathers adorning their necks and tails. Male Rowki are known to have brighter plumage; a device believed to be for attracting mates.
One other characteristic of the Rowki would be the bone horns projecting from their foreheads, which seem to be exclusive to males. Their exact purpose has not yet been determined, but it has been speculated that they are for fighting for mating rights, and marking territory.
There is also not a very large size difference between male and female Rowki. Males are, at most, only 20 pounds heavier than their female counterparts.
And, now, onto that most bizarre of the Rowki's features -the one that earned them their binomial name (Panthera pluma, 'pluma' being Latin for 'feather'). They have been mentioned previously regarding colouration, but only briefly. The purpose of these feathers, aside from show, is still a mystery to scientists. No one seems to know exactly why or how they developed them. But, as to what they are -well, that is a little more certain. They are most definitely legitimate feathers, that is for certain. The shafts of the feathers on the neck are implanted in sockets, and seem to have a limited range of movement. When a Rowki is agitated, the feathers on their neck will ruffle, and they seem to have the ability to smooth them down again. If a feather is lost, it will regrow. The tail-feather, on the other hand, is a much stranger thing. It seems to have sprouted from the tail itself, with no sign of a shaft, or any connection. It is seamless -a part of the tail. This feather is much stiffer than the ones on the neck, more like a remige (flight feather). It's purpose and existance is even more enigmatic.

"Adoption?", you may ask, taken-aback. Who would want to adopt so formidable a creature as this? Before leaping to conclusions, I must remind you to 'never judge a book by its cover'. Whilst the Rowki are a large, carnivorous feline species, they have some unique behavioural characteristics as well as physical ones.
I mentioned earlier that gaining a Rowki's trust was an extremely difficult task -but once you accomplished it, just about nothing could break that bond. I must emphasize this, for this loyalty exceeds even that of a canine to their master. It is a bond for life, so if you are not certain about wanting a Rowki companion, then do not adopt one. They will follow you to the end of the Earth, and risk their life for you. And, if they, somehow, manage to oulive you, they will pine for you until they, too, waste away. This strange bond is weaker in the wild, where the Rowki cannot get so attached to something, because of the fact that it is 'survival of the fittest' out there, and trust could lose you your life. But, that bond is the reason why Rowki cubs prolong their stay with their mother -because they don't want to leave. It is only the aggression of the mother to her cubs as they age that finally pushes them out. As well, it is the reason why Rowki are among those few animal species that mate for life. But, in captivity, where there is no danger, the strength of the Rowki's trust is amplified tenfold.
But, of course, there is always the matter of gaining that trust. Believe me when I say that it is a very difficult (and very rewarding) thing to accomplish. So, make sure you aren't lacking in perseverence before you set out.
There is no 'formula' for adopting a Rowki. Each individual is looking for different things from their owner (they will all have unique forms). But, I will give you one, small hint: I'm looking for effort in these forms. If you don't try, odds are, you won't get the Rowki. As well, it's quality over quantity!
Good luck.

If you wish to be affiliates, PM me!

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1312860#p38626608][img]http://www.iaza.com/work/120729C/iaza17475053342100.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1312860#p38626608][img]http://www.iaza.com/work/120729C/iaza17475088150200.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1312860#p38626608][img]http://www.iaza.com/work/120813C/iaza13016314062100.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by videlicet on Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 am, edited 22 times in total.
videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: • Rowki Adopts • Still a Work in Progress!

Postby videlicet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Reserved for future use.
videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: • Rowki Adopts • Open!

Postby videlicet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Rowki Adopts is now open for posting!
I shall have a few Rowki up for adoption by tomorrow (oh, wait it's 3 in the morning. Later today, I mean). xD
on semi-permanent hiatus
(unable to fill any art requests as my tablet is very broken, apologies!)
ImageImage
┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
meanwhile the world goes on. / meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes, / over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers. --wild geese, by mary oliver

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
hey, viz here! eternally busy, stressed university student. lover of books, space, autumn, mint chocolate, cats. gay.
my previous username was vizàviz

tracks » deviantart » loc » rp with me
videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flowerdust » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Ohh this looks like a really great species! I can't wait to adopt one :D
Flowerdust

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Last Raven » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:06 am

Username: The Last Raven
Design Samples: Some of these are not the style that I would use for this pretty breed. viewtopic.php?t=973000
viewtopic.php?t=1055400
viewtopic.php?t=1117479
viewtopic.php?t=958904
viewtopic.php?t=948632
Why You Want to be an Artist: I absolutely ADORE this species. I would really really love to be a part of it. I enjoy designing and to be able to design some of these guys would be absolutely awesome!
Thank you for concidering. :)
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
The Last Raven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby videlicet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:54 am

The Last Raven wrote:Username: The Last Raven
Design Samples: Some of these are not the style that I would use for this pretty breed. viewtopic.php?t=973000
viewtopic.php?t=1055400
viewtopic.php?t=1117479
viewtopic.php?t=958904
viewtopic.php?t=948632
Why You Want to be an Artist: I absolutely ADORE this species. I would really really love to be a part of it. I enjoy designing and to be able to design some of these guys would be absolutely awesome!

Wow, those are some absolutely stunning designs! I would be overjoyed if you became an artist here! So, with much enthusiasm, I welcome you to the team (though, it isn't really much of a team yet. :p)! I'll add your name to the colour-in list promptly, and you can feel free to begin designing! Thank you very, very much! C:
-Viz
(By the way, you won the naming 'contest'. Would you like to design your own custom, or would you like me to?)
on semi-permanent hiatus
ImageImage
meanwhile the world goes on. / meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain

hey, viz here! eternally busy, stressed university student. lover of books, space, autumn, mint chocolate, cats. gay.

videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Last Raven » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:04 am

Viszla7 wrote:
The Last Raven wrote:Username: The Last Raven
viewtopic.php?t=1055400
viewtopic.php?t=1117479
viewtopic.php?t=958904
viewtopic.php?t=948632

Wow, those are some absolutely stunning designs! I would be overjoyed if you became an artist here! So, with much enthusiasm, I welcome you to the team (though, it isn't really much of a team yet. :p)! I'll add your name to the colour-in list promptly, and you can feel free to begin designing! Thank you very, very much! C:
-Viz
(By the way, you won the naming 'contest'. Would you like to design your own custom, or would you like me to?)

Really???? YAY! Oh my gosh I'm so happy! Do you mind if I design my own? I have an idea in mind...
──-────────────────────
raven|she|adult
────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████████ █
──-────────────────────
hi! i’m a long time player
who loves to hoard chameleons
and anything else that tickles my fancy.
i am a huge nerd and love to cosplay!

────────────────────-──
███░█████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
coding credit pascal
collection dream

ImageImageImage
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
───────────────-──
███░█████████████ █
The Last Raven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby videlicet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:12 am

Of course! Go right ahead! C:
on semi-permanent hiatus
ImageImage

videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sodafarts » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:04 pm

Username: ~Just.Peachy~
Design Samples:
viewtopic.php?t=1310648
viewtopic.php?t=1310797 Designed only the raccoon and bunny, drew the whole thing ^^ It's a JBD entry X3
viewtopic.php?t=1309653 Adoptables, the second one is what I normally come up with :T
viewtopic.php?t=1291957 Armor concept for WoI <3
viewtopic.php?t=1266232 Random char xD
viewtopic.php?t=1266648
viewtopic.php?t=1308320 Entries for an artist contest ^^ And the one above ^
viewtopic.php?t=1264017 'Nother random charrie xD
More in my gallery if you really feel like looking ^^
Why You Want to be an Artist: I love this species <3 You see a TON of wolves, and of course I have nothing against them, but cats are a wonderful change <3 The feathers are a unique idea that is incorperated very well, as are the horns. Somehow two of my favorite animals, big cats and birds, have come together in an amazing new species <333 I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I would love to be a part of spreading them all over CS ^^
hi i am soda/eli :-)

mostly inactive these days </333 but hanging around to draw occasionally

she/they idc - intp - capricorn ☼ aries ☾ libra ⇡ - adult - usa

main interests: MY CATS, dorohedoro, chainsaw man, soul eater, tbhk, adventure time, kingdom hearts, OFF, genshin impact, okami, devilman crybaby, berserk, welcome to night vale, atla, studio ghibli, vocaloid, wacky music, gross stuff, cooking, learning languages

https://kevan.org/johari?name=sodafarts <-- hi everyone how would u describe me :')
sodafarts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby videlicet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:39 pm

~Just.Peachy~ wrote:Username: ~Just.Peachy~
Design Samples:
viewtopic.php?t=1310648
viewtopic.php?t=1310797 Designed only the raccoon and bunny, drew the whole thing ^^ It's a JBD entry X3
viewtopic.php?t=1309653 Adoptables, the second one is what I normally come up with :T
viewtopic.php?t=1291957 Armor concept for WoI <3
viewtopic.php?t=1266232 Random char xD
viewtopic.php?t=1266648
viewtopic.php?t=1308320 Entries for an artist contest ^^ And the one above ^
viewtopic.php?t=1264017 'Nother random charrie xD
More in my gallery if you really feel like looking ^^
Why You Want to be an Artist: I love this species <3 You see a TON of wolves, and of course I have nothing against them, but cats are a wonderful change <3 The feathers are a unique idea that is incorperated very well, as are the horns. Somehow two of my favorite animals, big cats and birds, have come together in an amazing new species <333 I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I would love to be a part of spreading them all over CS ^^

Thank you very much for applying! Those are some very pretty designs -I will be more than happy to have you as an artist here! I'm very glad you like the species, and even more so that you'd like to contribute! C: I'll add your name to the colour-in list, so you can begin designing as soon as you'd like.
Thanks again,
Viz
on semi-permanent hiatus
ImageImage

videlicet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me