The edge of the woods.... [Final Results Up!]

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Re: The edge of the woods.... [OPEN!]

Postby .paris. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: .paris.
Link to roll call post: here!
Word Count: 500 words

_____

As Akane scrawled her name on the list, the pink ink so bright it almost matched her hair, she found herself writing as fast as she could. She tapped her foot, taking glances over at the woods she had come from, listening carefully for the voices of the two counselors she’d met to waft over on the summer breeze.

To just about any onlooker, Akane would look more nervous than anything else—in fact, she didn’t look like she was built for the outdoors at all. She had come from another country, apparently subsidized by a wealthy family and money she’d made off silks dancing, brught here by her trainer after they finished a competition in the nearby city.

She looked very out of place in the messy, rugged environment of Kamp: her hair was always perfectly curled, her makeup precisely applied, her clothes always higher quality than the rest. Many campers talked amongst themselves, unsure of why she was even there. Surely she must have better things to do with her time?

However, what they didn’t know is that, although Akane’s family was wealthy—or, rather, had been at one time, before the rise of the emperor—she had left that world completely behind after the untimely death of her father. She was not dressed by wealth but by necessity, because back home, she was not just a dancer, but a trained assassin. Her clothes were handpicked by her trainer, Athena, designed to help her fit in, hiding her true motive behind attending. She was attending Kamp to refinine some more unique skills. It’s not often you find a place with archery, canoeing, and rock climbing all in one place, so, when her and Athena found out about it, they all but jumped on the chance.

Akane was not anxious at all—in fact, her seemingly ‘nervous’ tics were nothing more than excitement. She had faced far scarier events back home—a simple walk in the dark woods would most likely be relaxing to her, a return to something familiar in this otherwise unfamiliar world of bright colors and casual fun.

Her heart twisted slightly as she walked away from the sheet, gazing down at her bright yellow t-shirt, feeling very lonely in Kamp. Everyone else was here to have fun, and to make friends, but Akane was here on a mission. And, although she was glad for the opportunity, it could get rather lonely at times.

Just as she was reached the main section of Kamp again, she caught the voices of the two counselors before on the wind. They were laughing together, and she couldn’t help but smile softly to herself.

Maybe she could take a break from her training, just for that one evening. Go on the hike, let herself go, make some friends as most she could in the privacy of the deep, dark woods.

Yeah, she thought to herself. I’d like that. I’d like that very much.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsig art by bloodiath! <3

i'm not a person, i'm a chicken who escaped the slaughterhouse and stole a wig from party city and is just trying to get by

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
flameclan
my kals

.paris.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kyar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 am

Sign-up Time!
    Username: Kyar
    Link to roll call post: [here]
    Prompt response:
      Click. Click. Click. Fake nails dropped to the ground, one by one. Safiya absently watched them fall, her eyes glazed over with a thick layer of thought. No need for these here, teddy bear. The sad little pile sitting idly in the dust, her boot pressed down, crushing, crunching, snapping. Shards of plastic pounded into the dirt. Turning upward, then, she watched a few other campers sign up, fighting over whose turn it was, wasting time picking the color they wanted, putting down three at once and jamming the pen for a few seconds, until their less-rowdy friend arrived and fixed it again. She watched them go by, her eyes locked on the little white sneakers already covered with dirt and mud. Mom should've known better, huh?

Sliding down from her place on the fallen tree, bits of bark clinging to the backs of her thighs, Safiya strolled over only when the coast was clear.

Safiya

The pen dropped back and she turned on her heels immediately, her heart rate rising steadily as she quickened her pace and ducked back into her alcove, her little place in the forest. She didn't look back. A test of courage. Was she courageous? Her eyes darted back towards the body of the camp, where friend groups were already forming. She pulled out her phone, snapping a few pictures of the nails in the dirt. Just gotta get a few good angles... Desperately, fruitlessly, she tried to pull up Instagram once more. As her phone reached out for any scrap of service it might get out here, she leaned back against the tree once more.

What made someone courageous? Was it in their spirit, or in their actions? She clenched her fists. No nails to stop her now. Her eyes turned around the forest, taking in the flickering lights of wavering leaves, whispers of winds making their way from top branches down through the canopy. A stillness. How far were they going to go? Was this hike actually dangerous?

Her name was on the list now. It was time to prove her mettle, one way or another.
Last edited by Kyar on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a good day y'all.
Please contact me here or on TH - I will no longer be using Discord!
Kyar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 【Wildfire】 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:09 am

-snip-

[deleting all my old posts]
Last edited by 【Wildfire】 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer active on this website.
【Wildfire】

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Finnegan's Sign-up

Postby AboveAspen » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:24 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: AboveAspen
Link to roll call post: Here!
Prompt response:

Finnegan hummed as he watched several other kamper's running up to the pinned clipboard on one of the councilors cabins. As he approached the clipboard, Fin listened in to the chatter going on around him; some people were excited while others were skeptical of what this 'Test of Courage' was exactly. What did he think of it? Well...what a cool experience this would be to get to know some more of his fellow kampers! It was only a nighttime hike. It couldn't be that bad could it? Besides, they'd have group leaders and everyone would be in one big group! What could go wrong? With that in mind, Fin happily accepted the colourful pen from another kamper before signing his name in orange and adding a small heart to the end [Finnegan ❤]. Nodding in approval of his little name, Fin handed off the pen to another kamper behind him, whose expression was a little less cheery than his own.

"Oh come on guys, this will be fun!"

And it would be. Fin would make the best out of whatever this 'Test of Courage' really was.
AboveAspen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepid » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: DoubleInfiniti
Link to roll call post: wink wonk
Prompt response:

Lepid - She/her & They/them - INFJ - Adult

Mainly here to lurk and adopt pets.

Credits: Wolfboy (th), palelibrarian (dA)
Lepid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Takk » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:31 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: Takk
Link to roll call post: Boop!
Prompt response
Ah yes, a hike! Nala loved the idea of being out in nature and enjoying time with the weirdo counselors; but the word 'hike' was quite a turn off. Sitting on the dock with her feet in the water, she ponders the idea. Adventure or a sweaty walk? Catching snakes or getting bitten by mosquitos?
Lots of pros, lots of cons but she didn't want to miss out on anything. Reluctant to exercise, she decided to pass on this one.
Getting up, she walks to see who'd signed up just for the fun of it. The paper sure was full! Finnegan, Teagan, Safiya, Elantra, Harper, Vega... Mostly kalons she didn't know but had high hopes to meet during the week of Kamp. Running her finger over the names as she read them, her heart nearly stopped when she saw his name there in green ink. "A-Ajax!" She gasps, thinking about the good looking wizard who was also a little too energetic and party ready like she was. Her fingers flex as if she had a stress ball, her face flushing red.
This could be her chance to prove herself..! He hadn't noticed her yet, but he would if she did awesome on this hike! Maybe he'd even talk to her. Even if he didn't notice her, perhaps someone else would? She'd been single a long time, hooking up at Kamp was cheap but it sounded fun too! Campfire stories with her tail tangled with someone else, swimming with a boyfriend who would start a chicken fight! Clicking out the purple ink, she scribbles 'Nala' on the next open line. After all, how hard could it be?
Takk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cyrevan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: BreezeParadox
Link to roll call post: here
Prompt response:
A night time walk? Salem paused to think about it.
That didn’t sound too bad.
She clicked down the red tab on the pen and attempted to write on the signup sheet. No ink came out, however, causing her to press harder into the paper. Suddenly, pop! The pen made a hole in the paper. Frustrated, Salem chose a new color, orange, and tried again, forming her name in perfect cursive.
After the task of signing up was complete, Salem sat down on an old tree stump and began to contemplate her choice. A test of courage? That was bound to be pretty lame. Salem’s home planet had a civil war, for goodness sakes. There was nothing she had to be afraid of. The walk would probably just involve some other counselors in masks attempting to sneak up on them in the dark.
Salem didn’t care though. A night in the forest was like a whole new world, she was willing to take the risk of facing a little secondhand embarrassment. Salem smiled confidently as she looked out at the variety of campers scattered around the area. Whatever this strange new world wanted to throw at her, she was ready.

200 words
Last edited by cyrevan on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
cyrus // they/it // artist & fursuit maker // kalons
credit my toyhouse for art and designs!
fullbody + headshot credit

Trade me for free pets!
cyrevan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby beeqlass » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:53 am

sign-up time!
      username: caspian,
      link to roll call post: xxx
      prompt response:

he took the pen and eyed it carefully. this was the kind of pen that was extremely popular so many years ago, that everyone wanted. and someone, one of these two managed to get their hands on one of these pens. and on pink tape...

he turned the pen in his hands and flicked on the “blue” setting, writing his name down in small, neat handwriting— paris.

the signup sheet read “test of courage,” which made paris laugh. test of courage? he’s gone on other hikes through “dark, spooky woods” before, at various summer camps from previous years, surely kamp won’t be any different?

it won’t be that dark or spooky. the counselors just makes the forest seem that way. it’s probably going to be a cliché boring scavenger hunt hike which is just like ‘find bark from a birch tree’ or ‘find a frog,’ or something among those lines.

except, something about kamp seems...different. it gives off a different vibe from other camps.

maybe paris should be scared for the upcoming hike. just a little.

he even thought about stealing the pen for himself, he never had one of these. he always borrowed them from others, but glancing back to the line behind him, stealing the pen was a bad idea. he couldn’t do it when everyone around. so instead, he turned around and gave the kamper behind him the pen.

“here’s the pen! are you brave enough for the ‘test of courage?’ because i know i am~” he smirked as the other took the pen, knowing that the hike won’t be that much fun. or...will it?
beeqlass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Stephaaa » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: Stephaaa
Link to roll call post: here
Prompt response: [ 228 words ]

It was official. The green ink seeped into the paper, changing the frightening mood of the forest to spine-chilling. I didn't know what I was thinking. Why in the world did I sign up for this? Who knows, there could be anything out there! My mind generates the awful sight of the Kamp counselor gritting his teeth at me. That was probably just some stupid thing to scare me right? But as I look back at the sign up sheet I really don't know whether I should do it. I suck in some air and glance up at a content group of Kampers a few metres away. Were they willing to sign up too? Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if there were many Kampers with me. A tiny pang of excitement hit me. I'm going to show the Kampers what I can do. I shouldn't sit around like some dirt. I'm sure the counselors will be impressed. I can show some Kals for once what I can actually achieve. Plus, I have to shed off some of those silly fears of mine. You'd think I'm joking, but I better get over those fluttering butterflies before someone catches me screaming and squirming into some rocks. I bounce off to my cabin feeling a bit uncertain, but mostly confident about the strenuous and hard-working challenge I must take on.
███
███
▬▬▬
░░░░
███
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
▬▬▬

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

▬▬▬
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
░░░░
███
░░░░

███
███
███
▬▬▬
──── H O M E !! ────
➤ i cherish my love for doggos and puppers
and I hope you do too. have a joyful day.

──────── () ────────
Stephaaa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Peppermint mist » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:57 am

Sign-up Time!
Username: Peppermint Mist
Link to roll call post: here!
Prompt response:

“What’s this?” Lilac murmured, as she silently crept towards the piece of paper and started to read it. “Hmm, test of courage.” Lilac then gasped, realising that it was linked to her previous encounter with two the Kamp counsellors.
She paused for a moment and then grinned, she grabbed the pen and scribbled down her name at once. It sounded like a challenge, and Lilac loved challenges. As she skipped away from the sign-up board she began to think about the letter that she could write to her siblings at home, bragging about the cool activities at Kamp. Needless to say, Lilac was still overly bitter about her siblings not wanting to go with her.

“Hmph! If they were here they’d be too scared to sign up for it!” she muttered to no one in particular. Lilac knew she was the bravest in her family, she just knew it, and she wasn’t scared of many things like her siblings were. When they watched horror movies (which was always her idea, her siblings wanted to watch boring movies, why not mix the genres up a bit?) she hardly had to hide her head behind the blankets in the scary bits, and when she did it was only to talk to her scaredy-cat siblings, it wasn’t because she was scared. At. All.

Lilac stopped for a minute to stare at a tree with a mixture of anger and bitterness, but then she focused back on the hike she was going on. I bet it will be so much fun! Lilac silently squealed to herself as she started to skip again. Beni and Iphis seem so cool, and the hike is at night! I love the night-time! She quickly forgot about her siblings. For now, at least, and she began to think of all the challenges that the test might bring.
Peppermint mist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me