Maple Island Ponies - Genetics

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Maple Island Ponies - Genetics

Postby The Royal Mirage » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 am

Maple Island Ponies (equus cornutus) are a subspecies of equine found on the 70 000 square kilometre expanse of the Maple Islands. The ponies have been largely isolated from humans and other equines for hundreds of thousands of years, and as such have adapted to suit their specific environment.

The ponies are generally small, measuring around 10-12.2hh most of the time, though some individuals can be as small as 9hh or as tall as 14.3hh at the withers. They have small, tough hooves with a small amount of feathering, short legs and somewhat pudgy bodies. Males tend to display brighter colouration and flashier patterns, and have longer hairs over the chest, whereas mares tend to have sleeker coats with more neutral colouring. The manes and tails of females can grow quite a bit longer than those on males, which tend to be shorter and mostly upright. Many are very sure-footed, and have excellent stamina and agility. A most peculiar trait, and the species greatest identifier, are the horns that have developed on their heads. Maple Island Ponies have developed horns which usually grow from just behind the ears, though some are formed elsewhere on the skull, many of which mimic horns of other species. It is extremely rare to find a Maple Island Pony without horns, though it is possible. Maple Island Ponies are very long-lived, and can live up to their mid-thirties even in the wild; in captivity, some have been known to survive and even breed into their forties.

Maple Island Ponies come in all regular horse colours, as well as a few special ones, and will come with a nifty little code called a genotype. The genotype of a horse shows what genes they possess and have the ability to pass onto their offspring. I won't be explaining existing horse colour genetics, but will answer questions if needed. If you're interested in learning about basic colour genetics, or are interested in finding out what a possible foal will look like, the links below can be very useful! However, you don't need knowledge of genetics to enjoy owning your very own Maple Island Pony.

An Interactive Introduction to Horse Colour Genetics
Coat Colour Calculator
Punnet Square Calculator (useful to show the possible genotypes of foals, can calculate up to 5 traits at a time)
the above links in no way belong to me, and are only to be used for educational purposes

Because all breeding of MIPs is regulated, any breedings that could result in a lethal foal will not go through.

Disclaimer:
The links above only cover so much, because there is only so much we know about equine colour genetics so far. As such, I've filled in some blanks below that will apply only to Maple Island Ponies. The traits described may (or may not) be real traits, but because I have been unable to find an explanation for them which would allow me to regulate how they are passed on to offspring, I've created our own explanation.
Last edited by The Royal Mirage on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deviantart, Flight Rising, Divided We Stand, WME Challenge
I'm not the babysitter...
I'm SPIDERMAN!
The Royal Mirage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Special Markings and Patterns~

Postby The Royal Mirage » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 am

The list below details certain markings and patterns which can occur in Maple Island Ponies. Keep in mind that males and females will display colours and patterns differently due to a modifier transferred on the Y chromosome. This modifier will usually cause base colours and patterns to show brighter or flashier on males than on females, and certain patterns will only show in bright colours on males.

Dominant:
Bend or Spots (Bo)– partial dominant (more spots in homozygous)
Birdcatcher Spots (Bi)– partial dominant (more spots in homozygous)
Bloody Shoulder (Bl)– dominant dependant (acts only on greys)
Badger Face (Bf)– dominant dependent (needs white marking on face to show)
Pangare (Pn)– dominant dependent (needs red pigment to show)

Recessive:
Brindle (bd)– recessive
Lacing (lc)– recessive
Gulastra Plume (gp)- recessive dependent (needs black tail hair to act on)
Mushroom (ms)– recessive dependent (acts only in the absence of extension *black pigment*)
Calico (c)- recessive dependent (acts only in presence of tobiano in combination with cream and/or pearl genes)

Themes (will add as they appear):
Peacock Appaloosa (Pa)– partial dominant; heterozygous will show white spotting in peacock feather patterns (white outline, faint white inlaid with a white spot inside), homozygous will also show facial markings and colourful roaning over the neck, back, and sometimes the rump, with the roan being more extensive on males. Facial roaning is extremely rare.

I will add examples for each of the above when they become available through adoption
Last edited by The Royal Mirage on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm SPIDERMAN!
The Royal Mirage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Horn Colouration~

Postby The Royal Mirage » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:15 am

The colouration of a Maple Island Pony's horns is the result of several different genes interacting. These genes show base colours and their genotypes, as well as dominant, partial dominant, and recessive modifiers. Keep in mind that the eye colour of ponies will generally match their base horn colour, and in males the hooves may also show as the horn base colour.

Base Colour Genes:
Rouge, Jaune, and Bleu
- These are the basic horn colour alleles, and will determine the base colour of your Maple Island Pony's horns
- The rouge allele controls red pigmentation, and is represented by a capital R
- The jaune allele controls yellow pigmentation, and is represented by a capital J
- The bleu allele controls blue pigmentation, and is represented by a capital B
- Rouge, Jaune, and Bleu are all mutations of a single gene, and as such each parent can pass on only one of its two copies
- Foals can express one of six colours, depending on the alleles inherited from each parent: red (two R alleles, RR), orange (RJ), yellow (JJ), green (JB), blue (BB), or purple (BR)

Dominant:
Ivory
- The ivory allele produces a bone-hued pigmentation which covers the base horn colour, and is represented by a capital I
- Ivory is dominant over rouge, jaune, and bleu
- The 'stripe' and 'mottle' modifiers are able to bypass ivory's colouration, which can reveal the horn's base colour in interesting patterns
Stripe
- The stripe allele causes darker or lighter stripes of the base horn colour to appear along the horn's length, and is represented by St
- Stripe is a dominant allele, and expresses itself the same way when homozygous (StSt) or heterozygous (Stst)
- The stripe pattern can bypass ivory pigmentation, and will show as stripes of the base colour over the ivory colouration
Mottle
- The mottle allele causes darker or lighter speckling of the base horn colour to appear along the horn's length, and is represented by a capital M
- Mottle is a dominant allele, and expresses itself the same way when homozygous (MM) or heterozygous (Mm)
- The mottle pattern can bypass ivory pigmentation, and will show as mottling of the base colour over the ivory colouration

Partial Dominant:
Pale
- The pale allele causes a lightening of the base horn colour, and is represented by a capital P
- Pale is a partial dominant allele, and will express itself differently in its heterozygous (Pp) and homozygous (PP) forms. Heterozygous will lighten the base colour slightly, while homozygous will lighten the base colour drastically
- The pale and shade genes cancel each other out when combined
Shade
- The shade allele causes a darkening of the base horn colour, and is represented by Sh
- Shade is a partial dominant allele, and will express itself differently in its heterozygous (Shsh) and homozygous (ShSh) forms. Heterozygous will darken the base colour slightly, while homozygous will darken the base colour drastically
- The pale and shade genes cancel each other out when combined

Recessive:
Fade
- The fade allele causes a separation of certain traits when heterozygous, and is represented by a lower case f
- Fade is a dependant recessive allele, and is expressed when base colours that blend two different genes (Ex. JB) are present. In the example of green horns, with the fade allele the horn would instead appear to be blue fading into yellow
- Fade is known to affect the base colour genes (when not homozygous), as well as the 'pale' and 'shade' genes

I will add examples for each of the above when they become available through adoption
Last edited by The Royal Mirage on Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm SPIDERMAN!
The Royal Mirage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Horn Types~

Postby The Royal Mirage » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:15 am

All horn alleles are mutations of the same gene, and as such each parent can pass on only one of its two copies. The allele which is passed on from each parent is random between the two that they posses, except in the case of sex-linked genes (male-only)
The list below details the possible types of horns your Maple Island Pony can have.

Dominant:
Equine (Eq)– displayed in both males and females, smaller and slimmer in females. Typical of Maple Island Ponies, horns which curve back from the head with wave-like patterning; male horns will always end up curving downwards, while females will curve upwards. Dominant gene, will overlap all other genes

Pronghorn (Ph)– displayed in both males and females, smaller and only slightly branching in females. A pair of short, singly branched horns. Dominant gene, is overlapped by Equine, will overlap Chamois, Dall, recessive genes, and theme genes

Chamois (Ch)- displayed in both males and females, thicker in males. A pair of short, upright horns which curve back at the tips. Dominant gene, is overlapped by Equine, will overlap Dall, recessive genes, and theme genes

Dall (Dl)– displayed in both males and females, longer, thicker and more curved in males. Backward facing horns which curve towards the front of the body and out. Dominant gene, is overlapped by Equine, Pronghorn, and Chamois, will overlap recessive genes and theme genes

Recessive:
Ibex (ix)– displayed in both males and females, larger and longer in males. Ridged horns which curve back and down from the head. Recessive gene, will overlap all other recessive genes and theme genes

Scimitar (sr)– displayed in both males and females, horns are more slender in females. Horns are long and spiralling, curving backwards and slightly down. Recessive gene, rare, is overlapped by Ibex, will overlap Eland and theme genes

Eland (el)– displayed in both males and females, longer and thicker in males. Horns are tightly spiralling near the base, becoming more relaxed as the spiral nears the tips. Recessive gene, rare, is overlapped by Scimitar, and Ibex, will overlap theme genes

Male Only:
Kudu (Ku)– displayed in males only, carried on the Y chromosome. Large horns which curve back from the skull in twists. Dominant, but can only be passed on from father to son. Is overlapped by Equine, will overlap all other dominant, recessive, or theme genes in males.

Roe (R)- displayed in males only, carried on the Y chromosome. 4-pronged antlers which shed and grow back annually. Dominant, but can only be passed on from father to son. Is overlapped by all dominant genes, will overlap all recessive and theme genes in males.

Theme Horn Genes (will add as they appear):
Reindeer (rd) – displayed in both males and females, no difference present. Antlers which shed and grow back annually, not technically horns - any damages to antlers is not permanent. Recessive gene, can only be obtained through theme distribution or breeding. Is currently overlapped by all other genes.

Last edited by The Royal Mirage on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm SPIDERMAN!
The Royal Mirage

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Maple Island Ponies - Genetics