Redwood Valley Equestrian Centre || Discussion

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

Are you planning on entering the Mustang Million?

Yes, with one character/one horse.
10%
Yes, with two characters/two horses.
20%
Yes, with three characters/three horses.
15%
Yes, with four or more characters/horses.
5%
No, I do not plan on entering the Mustang Million.
5%
Maybe, but I can't guarantee having enough time/motivation to say for sure right now.
45%

Total votes : 20

Re: Redwood Valley Equestrian Centre || Discussion

Postby SydneyandStorm » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:06 am

Soul Of Winter wrote:Could we have some standardbreds maybe for the around the world? I own a standie named Ace and they are amazing! Do we have any standies in the sim yet?

I don't believe we do, but I'd be happy to make some! I would, however, recommend that you suggest things on the suggestion thread rather than on the discussion thread because things tend to get buried pretty quickly here and I don't want to miss any suggestions when I go back through there c:

Going to quote my earlier page so it makes it on the next page and I can get some more opinions on this!

SydneyandStorm wrote:
Hi all,

I've been thinking on what to do about this for a while, and I think it's a problem that needs to be addressed but that no one has quite brought up yet. I'm talking about the general clutter brought on by the nature of RVEC's functioning mechanism; in other words, the fact that anyone who attempts to adopt a horse will see that horse's page brought up indefinitely on their recent posts. This makes it incredibly difficult for people to keep track of their own horses, I think, as well as just being a general nuisance for those who would like to pay more attention to other topics. I consider this part of the reason why adoptions may be decreasing; if someone doesn't think their chances are very high, they'll refrain from applying so that they don't have to deal with that post coming up again and again on their board.

I may be completely off here, but it's still something I'd like us to consider. If it isn't a problem at all, that's fantastic, because it's less work for me! ^^' However, I want to do what I can to keep things organized for you guys, so if this is a problem or an annoyance for you guys, we'll do what we can to fix it. What I propose is this: Since there is no unsubscribe button (I know there technically is, but I've never had it actually function as an unsubscribe button, so I'm not entirely certain that it's still functional), we can have all training and aging take place on the horse's tack page. This means that training will only apply for the discipline it is done under (so if you request training under a horse's jumpers equipment, that training will only apply during jumpers competitions; this is also technically the way it works now, as a horse will only receive training for the discipline it is marked as competing in) and that during shows, the page linked to must be the horse's tack page for that particular discipline, not the horse's main page. For aging, I'll just have to remember to go back to the horse's main page and adjust the age there. This will make everything a little harder on you guys too, I'm sure, because you'll have to remember to keep training spread out a week apart, even if your horse shows in more than one discipline (for example, if you train your horse in hunters one week, you have to remember to wait a week before you can train it in jumpers); however, this should also make it fairer and more realistic if a horse competes in more than one discipline, as well as making it easier to enter them in multiple disciplines because you don't have to choose just one discipline for the horse's main page. Additionally, the end goal of this is to eliminate the problem of RVEC clutter; hopefully, the only times a horse's main page will pop up on your posts again will be few and far between, such as general discussion of the horse or other matters that are far less intrusive, and not just a barrage of training requests like I worry they do now ^^

So what do you guys think? Is it a problem even worth addressing, or should I just leave it as it is?

Glad to hear it, Sandy Hoofprints! ^^
SydneyandStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:26 pm

i've been thinking about this a lot, because while i definitely appreciate the interface of training being done on the horse's page i can understand how it would be an issue for players with particularly busy activity pages. personally, i prefer training done on the horse's page and benefiting all disciplines, as i have a rather large farm and thus need to keep all training scheduled, meaning having to train for certain disciplines on different weeks could get complex.
personally, i entertain the idea of having another page just for the horse's training (perhaps a transparent image? so all the players could have transparent images of their horses easily?), though i know that might get tedious. i suppose it would be alright to have training done on the tack pages, though it seems that might put event and combined driving horses at a slight disadvantage to their more specialized peers. plus, training in one discipline often leaks over into other disciplines (i.e. hunter and barrel horses often do well in cross-country and jumpers when transferred over, and fundamental dressage training benefits all disciplines).
none of this is really a flat opinion so much as me rambling, so take what you will from this. i will definitely go along with what the majority prefers, but thought i'd drop in my own two cents.
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SydneyandStorm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 am

You certainly make some good points there, caf. ^^ I will mention that as it currently stands, training does only benefit the discipline the horse has been assigned to, so although you can enter your horse in any disciplines you'd like, training only counts for the one on their page ^^ This makes it more realistic, as a horse trained specifically in western pleasure will not be able to make an easy switch to jumpers in a competition without having been specifically trained in that as well, but I can see how this would make things more complicated for three day eventing. If we did make the switch, that would allow you to opt for strategic training, as a horse weak in dressage would need extra training in dressage to be competitive but wouldn't need as much training in jumpers if he or she is strong there. This would also allow horses to be more competitive in the individual events of 3DE, as training would then apply to the individual disciplines too, and on the whole, it would allow horses to have training apply to multiple disciplines so that horses with strong stats in both could do well in either discipline, presuming they're trained up appropriately. I would consider transparent images, but I could see that getting tedious quite quickly, so I can't promise anything there, hahaha ^^'

At the end of the day, nothing is set in stone; however, I do want to make sure that people winning horses are able to see that they've won the horses and that people training horses don't lose them in the sea of others' horses. If it really isn't an issue, I don't mind keeping it as it is, but I want to make sure people aren't leery of trying for a horse if they don't want the rest of their actions to continually come up on their recent posts and that everyone is able to keep track easily of the horses they own c:
SydneyandStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OutFoxed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:29 am

When you first acquire a new horse - not bought from another user - does the first training also age the horse or does the second training session age the horse for the first time?
OutFoxed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby iStarz & Everly » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:30 am

OutFoxed wrote:When you first acquire a new horse - not bought from another user - does the first training also age the horse or does the second training session age the horse for the first time?

The first one ages and trains i believe.
iStarz & Everly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby SydneyandStorm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:23 pm

OutFoxed wrote:When you first acquire a new horse - not bought from another user - does the first training also age the horse or does the second training session age the horse for the first time?

Second training ages the horse unless a week has passed since the horse was adopted and then trained ^^
SydneyandStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OutFoxed » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank you both!
OutFoxed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:58 pm

i've been really lazy this month but finally got it in me to finish touching up my eventing association - should have that topic coded and posted within the week! i'm super excited to unveil this association since RVFHA has taken a backseat until the Mustang Million.
with this said, do discipline associations have the option of requesting adoptable horses? i'd like to get more eventers into the game but due to the fact that most of my eventers are related and don't have much variance in skill set, so i hope this association will create a more prominent event community in-game. perhaps an event like hunter week could even crop up around Rolex season (or even around Burghley and Badminton as well)? gah, i love Rolex cx
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SydneyandStorm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:00 am

caf. wrote:i've been really lazy this month but finally got it in me to finish touching up my eventing association - should have that topic coded and posted within the week! i'm super excited to unveil this association since RVFHA has taken a backseat until the Mustang Million.
with this said, do discipline associations have the option of requesting adoptable horses? i'd like to get more eventers into the game but due to the fact that most of my eventers are related and don't have much variance in skill set, so i hope this association will create a more prominent event community in-game. perhaps an event like hunter week could even crop up around Rolex season (or even around Burghley and Badminton as well)? gah, i love Rolex cx

Yes, they most certainly can! And that sounds like an excellent idea <3 I'd love any events you guys suggest, especially if it helps bolster an association, so pleas don't hesitate to suggest them! c:
SydneyandStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me