· · · 》𝙈𝙄𝙎𝙁𝙄𝙏𝙎 𝙊𝙁 𝙈𝘼𝙉𝙃𝘼𝙏𝙏𝘼𝙉

For roleplayers who want to write longer detailed posts using advanced language and grammar. Anyone can create a topic here, but joining these RPs is by application-only so that RP owners can control the literacy level they're comfortable with. All content must remain child-friendly at all times.

───[ Z I G G Y 002

Postby ꜱᴀʟᴇᴍ. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:50 am

ϟ 𝚉 𝙸 𝙶 𝙶 𝚈
{zak wolfe}
newbie I location; warehouse I mentions; fox I tags; jasper I w.c; 712
────────────────────────────────────────────────────

ziggy let out a bit of a laugh, listening to everything jasper was saying to him. "i'm always one for learning." he said in reply to jasper saying he'd let him know a poisonous plant from a safe one. ziggy was a big nature lover. must've been due to all of the times he'd set up camp in the clearings of any woods near wherever he was living at that time. he knew basics on plant life, he would never consider himself a green thumb that's for sure. things like hunting, shelters, fires.. things like that he was all set for in life. or at least that's what he had hoped. he survived this long, what's a few more years? "i could cook a mean steak on a good fire." he said, half dreamily.

when jasper spoke on ziggy's carving, a glint of happiness in his eye shimmered. zig took great pride in the things he created. carving wood was something of a passion of his growing up. he loved getting his hands dirty. even though he would cut himself on the dull knives every now and then, it still brought him joy. in his mind, gaining cuts and bruises was a way of showing that what he was doing was either going the right way, or a way of showing that he was learning the right way to do it. zig brought the knife back to the stick and began chipping away at it once more, listening to all the words that came from jasper after the brief moment of silence.

an orphanage. he thought to himself, thinking back to the foster system. orphanages never seemed to be an option for him. people saw what a troubled child he was and refused to take him in unless they received money in return. when jasper spoke about how he got around on the streets, ziggy was almost in awe. he didn't really have the brains to work for actual employers, the most he did was collection rounds for the gangs he was involved with. ziggy wasn't sure whether to be thankful for those guys or be angry with them. without them, he would be dead. or.. if he found the right people, maybe he'd be better off than he is now. it was always a hot and cold topic for him to think about. what he could be doing now if it weren't for his deadbeat, careless birth parents or the stupid kids who managed to convince him that their way of doing things was the right way. when jasper began to talk about the machine's he had experience with, ziggy's attention was swayed away from his own thoughts and instead lay locked on the other boy's hands. scars were scattered all over them. zig dropped the stick in his lap and brought his hands up, showing the other his own scars. the machines do bite back. the words echoed in zig's mind, and he laughed at the thought of jasper fighting a wild animal.

"bear's great," he said simply, "got a few screws loose in the logical thinking side of his brain but, at least he kinda knows what he's doin'." he said, giving jasper a small smile. after a couple awkward moments of silence, jasper finally spoke again. what did make me join? zig thought. he rubbed the back of his neck while thinking what his response would be. "well," he began with a sniff, "i was out one day, i won't tell you what i was up to you might faint. but uh, i walked through a market, and saw a boy near me getting in trouble for stealing. it was a lot, so i assumed he had other people. so, considering i had nothing to lose, i told him to run and i took the blame. security came, then cops and.. well i landed myself in a cell overnight," zig let out a chuckle as he remembered the events. "couple days later, that same boy saw me. introduced himself to me as fox. said he had a group of people just like me, and offered me a home." ziggy was looking down, chipping at the stick once again.

"he says we're even, but. i owe him my life."
ꜱᴀʟᴇᴍ.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

· · · 》maisie 006

Postby senna_ » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:02 am

𝐌𝐀𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐄 𝐕𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐍
[ ❝𝐌𝐀𝐄❞ ]
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
rank. city's journalistxxage. 20xxpronouns. she/herxxlocation. paddockxxment.|tags. jo|bear, roman, drew --> drew, kimmy

Maisie didn’t necessarily feel uncomfortable around the two Trinkets, although she wouldn’t be too surprised if the change in her posture evidently shifted the moment Drew had popped up beside her. She was thankful that their relationship fell back into the normal swing of things so easily. They had parted ways abruptly, paths dividing, one leading to the gates of heaven, the other to those in hell. Given where they ended up, it was easy enough to figure out whose path took them where. But despite landing a spot in a run-down place like this, Drew was still the same boyish person with a fiery yet naïve energy to him. He was no stranger – not in his face, not in the way he carried himself. He felt like home, as much as she could get from being here. Did he feel the same way about her? Perhaps she was just a bit homesick. She wouldn’t admit it, though. Not to these people, anyway. She knew she could easily argue her feelings with a confident amount of backup statements, but why bother? Homesickness felt different to everyone. She was sure they had all experienced it ─ first at the school they ended up in, then here, out on the streets. You did this to yourself. A hand went to the necklace she wore, tugging the small pendant against the chain. An awkward silence draped over the blonde, blending her figure into the wash of colours in the background. From the way her blue-eyed gaze wandered aimlessly, surely it looked like she had found a sudden fascination over the natural design in the wooden post.

x'xMaisie’s body jolted as Drew spoke, as if his words physically pricked her. Her gaze shot towards him, cheeks flushing for probably the tenth time that morning when he bluntly called her out on her axiomatic staring. “I don’t know what you mean,” she shot back stupidly. Her blazing red cheeks and hissed tone were enough evidence to counter her words; she didn’t have to say anything further. She’d just be digging herself into a deeper hole at that point. “She just has a familiar face, that’s all.” That was true enough. Drew knew about Jo, though, even if they hadn’t met before. Or had they, as City Jo and former City Drew? Mae knew he wasn’t her biggest fan, but she had never actually asked if any of this had to do with a leaked story of her heart-stabbing history. Even if Drew didn’t know, she wasn’t about to expose her whole ridiculous sob story to these two men here. Maisie was here to create a new version of herself ─ she didn’t need either of them to look at her as the longing hopeless romantic, or the fragile city girl too comfortable in a servant-run house. They let go of their maid many years before, but surely the misfits out in the wilderness clutched onto dramatic stereotypes of what it meant to be wealthy. Besides, there were no more feelings towards Jo, and she was almost sure she meant that. Drew just had a knack for stirring up drama. Most of the time she enjoyed it, engaged in it, even. But this was different. It was a tender spot and one downcast look was hopefully enough for her friend to take the hint.

x'xShe shook her head as he continued to chatter onward, reaching over to give his upper shoulder a light flick with her fingers. “I didn’t realize Fox had replaced me on your friend list,” she retorted lightly. “I’m hurt.” Just as Drew had caught onto Maisie’s occasional gawking, Maisie was no stranger to the way Drew eyeballed the Trinkets’ leader. Mae wasn’t upset by this, though – amused, more than anything. The two of them were at a point in their lives where she didn’t feel the need to cling to that foolish fear of being left behind. Drew was loyal ─ running back into her arms after years of zero communication proved that. She shot him a side-eyed look when he oh-so cheerily chirped on about the pepper spray, then glanced at her bag to ensure the can was still safely tucked away. “Let’s not and say we did, hm?” She spoke in that mom voice Drew had once titled, even though she caught on to the fact that he was speaking more towards his Trinket friends than herself. Drew had a way of getting into the strangest situations, and he never seemed to have great luck on his side. Jokes aside, though, Mae was struggling to shrug off the horror in the Trinkets’ eyes when she raised the pepper spray. Whatever trauma they had was not something she wanted Drew ─ or anyone else for that matter – to experience, even though she had very little information regarding the situation. She didn’t have to read a whole chapter on the incident to know there had been no positivity in their last encounter with the spray. Two spooked men leaping away from a girl uninformed about their side of the world with a (formerly) sealed can of pepper spray spoke louder than any verbal words could.

x'xShe let her gaze come to rest on Roman, since he stood directly across from her. There was so much mystery lurking around. For being around a group that seemed eager to be so open, it was a strange sensation to work around. She desperately wanted to sit each and every one down and interview them until they were out of breath. She wanted to know everything. The way Roman and Bear lunged at the idea of tackling whomever even looked at her the wrong way without hesitation was practically enough for her to understand that whatever they underwent here was nothing a small blonde girl like herself could wrap her head around. Maisie didn’t want to be cradled, but she had already suspected there were certain things the Trinkets were going to remain tight-lipped about when around any newcomer who emerged from enemy territory. She was going to have to take matters into her own hands, then. She was going to have to tap into the mind of a participant observer. Her gaze switched over to Bear, and just as it had done with Roman, she allowed it to linger. The brunette seemed like he could crack if she played the right cards. She just had to figure out his weak spots. If even that. His pride towards the group was as clear as day; the treasure chest of secrets was left wide open. How would someone like me knock down the walls of someone like himself? That bonfire he mentioned seemed like a great gateway for that. A pang of guilt squeezed her heart, and she looked away. Maisie didn’t want to start treating those around her as no more than research participants. The reason for the fire was what, to show off his adoration for those sunset-orange flames? To get to know her? Did people want that? She almost wanted to seriously take that into consideration until the words “prissy city folk” fell from his lips. Maisie snorted a laugh. “I won’t take that personally,” she shot back quickly, a ghost of a smile lingering long enough to ensure she was not seriously offended by his choice of words.

x'xHer eyes rolled playfully as Drew waved his flag of surrender high for both Bear and Roman to see. “Thanks, Drew,” Maisie jested. “I’m glad your precious belongings are here to save the day.” At the mention of a hose fight, her free hand went back up to run along the dampened fabric of her shirt. It would dry soon enough. She was nowhere near as drenched as Roman was. Feeling as though a door opened for her when the conversation shot back and forth like a boomerang between the three men, Maisie inched closer to her book bag, leaning down to sweep it off the ground. Apart from a few bits of grass clippings the fabric had attracted, it was in fine condition. She hugged it close to her chest to protect it from any harm, even though there was no hose within reach. The few objects inside meant a lot more to her than anyone surely understood. Except for Kimmy. Kimmy was always the first person to know about something new in regard to Maisie.

x'xHer chin tilted upward as Bear turned back to acknowledge her, a bit startled by how quickly her mind was starting to wander. “Clean yourself up first, then we’ll talk,” she countered. “It’ll look like I was the perpetrator if you’re caught stained in blood near an open fire.” She was unable to bite back a smile, as much as she wanted to. Inside, Mae was feeling quite giddy at this point. This was her first real chance at feeling like she was part of the group! She had been anxious about the near future upon her arrival. The what-ifs were an endless cycle, with such power that even Maisie herself was beginning to question her acts. Her passion for writing could have easily scared the Trinkets off ─ and she was sure some were indeed hesitant. Surely nobody knew that she adopted a pseudonym when it came to her work, but it wasn’t difficult to connect the dots between a smart person from the city and active writer to craft up something of great skepticism. As much as the truth hurt, Maisie really couldn’t blame them. She had already come to terms with it. In fact, things were actually going far better than she had prepared herself for.

x'xMaisie let her eyes settle on the two as they started up elsewhere. Curiosity tickled her as she watched them cheerily stroll onto a new route, and she tilted her head like a nosy young pup. “What’s that about?” she questioned Drew, nodding towards Bear. Without context, his words of excitement shared with Roman meant nothing to Maisie, but his chipper energy was enough to hook her interest. The further they walked away, the slower the thoughts in her head buzzed about. Removing herself from the headspace of that former conversation, she allowed herself to acknowledge that desired feeling of rejoining with that younger version of herself, back in the days when she and Drew shared exciting gossip in her bedroom. She scooped her arm through his, linking them together. Koala?” she echoed his earlier statement. “Are you still…” She motioned with her free hand, as if that was the best way to get her point across. “You and Fox? Drew, I want to hear everything!”

x'xFrom where the two were now positioned, it was easy to catch sight of any motion that activated nearby. Just up ahead, Maisie laid eyes on Kimmy, walking at such a pace that it was as if she was hurrying to put out a fire. “Kimmy?” While she spoke the girl’s name, it wasn’t a direct shout towards her dear friend. She gave Drew a little tug on the arm. “Talk and walk,” she instructed, taking off towards Kimmy. Kimmy was evidently a bit out of it, given the way her head drooped toward the ground. Within seconds, she had flattened herself against the ground, forming a deeper connection with the Earth itself. Letting go of Drew’s arm, Maisie propped herself up and over the same fence Kimmy had pushed herself over a few seconds earlier. “Drew, this is Kimmy. Kimmy, Drew.” Truthfully, at that moment, Maisie couldn’t remember if she had ever introduced themselves, even though realistically, she probably did every single time she saw them together. Without hesitation, Maisie set down her bag, then dropped to the ground, mirroring the position Kimmy had placed herself in. The grass was itchy against her bare skin, but Maisie pushed past that. Her head rolled towards her friend, one side of her face practically pressed against the grass now. “Hi,” she greeted in a softer voice, reaching over to quickly brush away a perfect curl that cheekily rested just by Kimmy’s brow. Maisie had always admired Kimmy’s hair, even though she knew her good friend despised it when people tried to touch it. “How’re you doing? I feel like I haven’t seen you in so long. So much has been going on.” She let out a sigh, allowing her head to rest in its natural position again, blue eyes cast up at the sky. “Come join, Drew,” she added, patting the ground beside her.

senna_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

───[ I A N 006

Postby ꜱᴀʟᴇᴍ. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:07 am

𝙸 𝙰 𝙽xx𝙲 𝙰 𝚁 𝙻 𝙸 𝚂 𝙻 𝙴
intern I location; warehouse I mentions; I tags; aleko+brielle I w.c; 525
────────────────────────────────────────────────

ian shrugged at the brunette's sarcasm. was she trying to get under his skin? he wasn't sure. luckily, he was difficult to bother. he did, however, widen his eyes slightly at the comment about his truck. his keys. shiloh had his keys. surely she'd look after them? wouldn't let anyone take them? it was stupid that the only thing that got to him was a little remark concerning his truck, of all things. in his defence, he didn't have much, that truck was everything to him. and kaine. wonder how the pup's doin'. he thought as the name of his companion fluttered into his mind. "that truck seems to be just about the only thing here that runs, little miss fire. i doubt y'all would do anything that'd hurt your one mode of transport?" he retorted, letting his hands drop down to the sides of his body again.

when aleko said he was glad that ian wasn't a 'spy', he simply chuckled lightly. "nah, i'm too darn beautiful to be a spy." he said, a hint of sarcasm tugging at his tone. then, the girl - bri, was that her name? - spoke once more. "self defence? yeah, i know a bit. gotta tackle the riled up patients at the hospital." ian shrugged after he spoke, shoving his hands into his pockets like he did before. the girl was staring at him now, making him shuffle on his feet. then, when she looked up at the sky, ian followed her gaze. oh, dandy. won't this be fun! he thought to himself, eventually looking back down to the two people around him. he watched aleko slowly move away towards the inside of the warehouse, and took his hands out of his pockets, taking one to his head and scratching it and stretching the other out in front of him so that he might feel rain. nothing. yet.

"doc? dang, not even gonna call me by my first name? that's cold for a firebug such as yourself." he laughed at himself lightly, turning around and strolling back into the building. after looking around at everyone flocking together inside, ian looked back over his shoulder at bri to see if she was following both him and aleko, snorted slightly to himself and shook his head. "wow there's a lot of people here." he muttered under his breath, stepping over to the side of the door and leaning against the wall.

ian paid close attention to everyone walking around the warehouse, taking in everyone's appearance. it was clear to him who lived here and who didn't, for the most part. not because of the way they looked, but more because of the way they walked around. most were comfortable, their steps had a knowing air around them, they knew where they were going and how they'd get there. others seemed a little more hesitant. as if they had no idea on what was what, what was where. "well. this certainly is a popular place to be right now," he murmured to himself as his eyes continued to scan the room. "no wonder some people are so on edge at the moment."
ꜱᴀʟᴇᴍ.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

shiloh [6]

Postby avicularia » Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:36 am

𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐇
med. enthusiast || 21 years old || tagged; red // bear, fox & aleko [mentioned]
▂ ▂ ▂ ▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ ▂ ▂ ▂

xxxAs Shiloh was beginning to clear things away, a rumble of thunder sent the hair along her neck prickling up while her heart skipped a beat. It was distant, yet this didn’t calm her. Rain, lightning, and thunder would soon be over their decrepit warehouse. Already, her mind was racing to locate the buckets throughout their home, adding up how many there were and comparing to the amount of holes in their roof. With every storm, everyone agreed that the roof needed to be repaired, but by the next one, nothing had been done. Shiloh would try to remember this and coerce someone to climb up on the roof with her to at least fix the bad ones. Not paying attention, she dropped a few paints directly after Red said they should hurry and quickly went to pick them up, spilling a few more from her arms. Finally, she was situated and glanced back at her companion.

xxxRed was displaying everything Shiloh felt. Forcing the alarm out of her eyes, she gave the warmest smile she could muster. “Yes, let’s hurry,” she agreed. This wasn’t a great situation. Red was already anxious, now worsened by the oncoming storm, and Shiloh felt less than capable of calming her. Too bad Aleko wasn’t here. He was the only person among the trinkets who knew of her fear of storms and exactly what they meant to her. Leaky roofs and lightning strikes didn’t bother her; these things were a common part of life. But with every lightning strike, she saw her step father’s empty eyes, and every beat of thunder brought back the memory of his last, raspy breaths and her mother’s screams while he died in her arms. These were the nights she would remind herself over and over again that what she did was best for her family, even if her mother hadn’t realized it at the time. Immense guilt settled on her shoulder. Surely it was a dark omen that her entrance into healing others began with a single murder. For the second time, she had the distinct desire to reach out and hug Red, but she once again refrained. It might disturb the young woman even more, and Shiloh would feel no better about this whole situation. Instead, she followed closely at her heels, so intent on keeping the paints in her arms that her knuckles were turning white and the corners of the bottle were beginning to leave imprints in her skin.

xxxAt last, she dropped the various bottles and brushes onto the spot Red indicated. Her hands were stained with various colors of paint now. This was the first time in a decade she’d touched paint, the last being in her fifth grade class, where they’d worked on self portraits and Shiloh learned that none of her skills existed in art. Though she’d done her best, at the end of the day the face that stared back at her looked like an alien creature combined with a potato. Of course, the teacher said nothing and gave her an easy A, and her mother had proudly hung it on the refrigerator. That was back before three of her siblings existed, and so there was still room to hang the unworthy artwork. Now, there were archaic layers on the surface, only the best staying on display. She was sure that if Red had been a part of her family, hers would be front and center, as she had a talent Shiloh couldn’t possibly comprehend.

xxxTaking a look around, she found the warehouse had collected more people than she’d ever seen in its four walls. This brought her comfort, as Shiloh was used to living with seven people in a two bedroom apartment. The noise of living allowed her to settle into herself, now no longer able to hear the distant rumbling of thunder. Normally, Shiloh would have made her way back up into what Fox called her office, but was more of a series of drawers tucked in a corner of their loft. She’d absorb herself in some giant medical tome until someone needed her, which eventually happened on most days. The trinkets kept her busier than an emergency room, with all their broken noses and burns, but she wouldn't want it any other way.

xxxIn fact, she was almost hoping for some sort of emergency to get her mind off of the coming storm, which is why she instead agreed with the woman beside her. “Yeah, we should keep an eye on the newbies,” she stated, eyes darting around the open space to see who might be nearby (and what kind of injuries they might be harboring). "Where do you think they all came from?" she asked her companion, curious at why people were sudden cropping up into their space. "I think we're becoming famous... or infamous." Too bad she couldn't see Bear in the vicinity, as he was always hiding some troubling wound tinged in infection. Of course, she'd have had a time talking him into getting her to look at it, but it was a challenge she was willing to take on at the moment.
avicularia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: · · · 》𝙈𝙄𝙎𝙁𝙄𝙏𝙎 𝙊𝙁 𝙈𝘼𝙉𝙃𝘼𝙏𝙏𝘼𝙉

Postby tawneypelt0504 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:54 pm

𝐂𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐚 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬☾
𝐎𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫|𝟐𝟐 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐥𝐝|𝐋𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧:𝐎𝐮𝐭𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞|𝐌𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬:𝐌𝐚𝐞,𝐁𝐞𝐚𝐫,𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧,𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐰|𝐓𝐚𝐠𝐬: 𝐎𝐩𝐞𝐧

Cass had tried to help bear, but he'd gone and screwed things up for himself. Cass sighed, went off to the side, and started leaning on an old fencepost. She was completely unfazed by the current standoff between Bear and Roman. Their "fights" had become a normal occurrence, they would tussle and then go right back to being friends until Bear did something to piss Roman off again. Although this time she wished they could have had their fight somewhere else, "All I wanted to do was feed my crows, and be alone, but nooo" Cass muttered quietly to herself. She rubbed her eyes feeling the aftereffects of her poor sleep schedule. She glanced over to observe what was happening between Bear, Roman, and Masie.

Cass' tired expression quickly turned to one of shock once she saw Masie pull out a bottle of pepper spray. Despite being surprised at the appearance of such a dangerous self-defense weapon Cass couldn't help but have some respect for Mae. "Looks like the fancy city girl has some guts" Cass murmured watching the standoff between the three with more interest than earlier. Her interest was brief as Cass returned her attention back to her crows who had now decided to return. They settled down at her feet once more begging to be fed, and give her more gifts they had found.

After a few minutes the Crows had received their fill and had moved on, as Cass watched them leave she figured she would do the same, since it seemed more people had made an appearance to the area, and Cass was not keen on anymore unwanted socializing this morning. Taking quick inventory of all her new gift, $25, a few plastic beads, and some screws, she slipped them into her pocket ,and made her way back into the warehouse, and back to her bed. She had taken a quick glance around and it seemed even more new arrivals had made an appearance.

Cass let out a sigh, and flopped down on her mattress again, staring at the ceiling although it was good there were others who were joining their cause Cass couldn't help but feel suspicious that there were just all of these new people showing up wanting to help. Part of her did want to trust them but she couldn't. Cass had dealt with too many people treating her nicely, and promising her good things only to turn around, and leave her behind with empty broken promises. Cass curled in a ball on her mattress and let out a sigh, staring straight ahead into the brick wall in front of her. Cass thought of the dream she'd had and felt it plant a seed of worry in her mind. Would she lose the Trinket's too? Would the only semblance of a family that she'd had in years be taken away from her. Would she be11 year old girl being pulled out from her mother's apartment? Utterly alone.
tawneypelt0504

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

[ elias - fox and the hound ] ix

Postby chase. » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:15 am

𝐄𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐬 xxxx
    ─────────────────────────────────────────
    [ mayor’s son ] [ he/him ] [ location - outside warehouse —> inside warehouse ] [ mood - reserved ] [ 2,512 words ]

Elias was confident in his ability to predict people. He could usually work out what they’d do, read them like a book. It had taken moments for him to latch onto Layne’s inability to read well. However, what he did not foresee was Fox going red in the face and yelling at him. The boy’s eyebrows creased slightly. It seemed the infection that he and Layne had caught, the one that caused them both to have their own separate outbursts, had spread to Fox. Elias barely managed to catch the paper, not expecting to have it slammed into his chest. It was only fair really, he had done the exact same thing to Layne earlier that morning after all. The newspaper was forgotten now though, Fox himself drew closer to Elias and it took everything the shorter man had to stand his ground. He’d already been toyed with too much for his liking, he couldn’t tuck his tail and run, not again. Not after what Layne had seen anyways.

The leader of the trinkets seemed to almost vibrate with seething anger, his breaths impossibly hot against Elias’ own face. Fox’s speech was fast, his words red-hot and venomous. For a brief moment, it reminded Elias of his own father - although Fox was definitely more skilled at the snarkier remarks. Elias didn’t falter, he stared back at Fox silently - choosing to observe the outburst rather than lash out. He wanted to bite back, poke holes in some of his statements, but it was childish defensiveness. Elias had already tarnished his reputation enough, it was about time he actually made an intelligent decision. Green eyes flicked between Fox’s two brown ones; although at this point Fox’s pupils were so blown in rage that they were pretty much just an inky black. Elias kept his face almost completely blank, offering a slight crease in his forehead and parted lips to make sure he didn’t look nonchalant. The last thing he wanted to do was to provoke Fox into getting physical, he took pride in his self-defence ability, but if Layne was anything to go by - Fox would have him on his back faster than he could blink.

The one statement that almost made Elias’ expression falter was when Fox spat out the fact they had no ‘adult supervisor’. Elias narrowed his eyes ever so slightly, frowning as he processed the idea. As far as he had been told, everyone in the trinkets were adults - Elias was an adult. Fox himself even looked like he had a couple of years on him, The man from the previous night certainly looked like he did - from what he could remember of the previous night anyways. Did they want some middle aged man or woman to watch over them? Scrutinise their living habits? Elias swallowed, he was overthinking it. Fox was angry, livid even. Vexed people said things faster than they could think. Elias was about to challenge the comment, a juvenile jab at the leader - but Fox’s last few sentences of his outburst made Elias snap his mouth shut. This time his expression did start to splinter, his frown becoming deeper, and his eyes boring into Fox’s. ’I know the feeling’. What did that mean? Elias was unbothered by the accusation of him lacking in common sense, still too focused on the previous sentences. The outburst seemed to run deeper than a simple hatred for a man who constantly put hurdles in their way. It seemed personal in a sense. Or perhaps Fox had just reached his breaking point with the influx of rich kids, and the easiest target to snap at was the city’s prince. Elias wasn’t sure, his mind went to his journal - maybe he’d have to risk it and write notes after all.

His eyes continued to search Fox’s face, looking for clues that weren’t there. Then, to Elias’ surprise, Fox apologised. First in English, and then French. Elias stopped frowning, his eyes softening slightly. Je suis désolé aussi. The words were said in his mind, but he dared not say them aloud. An apology for the past, the present and the future. The mayor had ruined this man and his adopted family in the past, he was still causing them grief - and Elias was here to ruin their future. Fox’s outburst left him unexpectedly conflicted. On one hand he wanted to scoff, judge Fox for loosing his composure so carelessly - but on the other hand, as a boy who had just been subject to one of the worst days of his life, he felt a twinge of guilt. That was ridiculous. He was here on a job, for his family. Fox was nobody to him, nobody to his family - one sad and spontaneous outburst wasn’t going to change that. They were two sides to the same coin, both of them putting their family first. Although from Fox’s words, his family actually had his back. Elias’ jaw ticked. It’d be fine, they could cushion Fox’s fall. This wasn’t personal, it was unfortunately just life for Elias right now.

Have you really done okay on your own? Elias wanted to ask, but with the idea of setting Fox off again, he chose to keep the comment to himself. They were alive, he could give them credit for that. But was just surviving ‘more than okay’?. They were so scared of the law and the council that Fox had to check with Layne that there was no traces of Elias’ clothes back in town - and they hadn’t done the most fantastic job at keeping a low profile judging by the amount of new recruits they seemed to have. Fox opened his eyes again, and Elias nodded as Fox asked to start over. “That we can, Todd, Fox.” He confirmed, not being able to stop himself from parroting a nickname back. “I don’t not like you, we’ve just come from two very different lives. I don’t blame you for hating my family, I won’t take it personally. I’ll do what I can to help you and your.. family.” He finished, voice soft but confident.

Elias’ heartbeat settled as Fox mentioned a person by the name of Red. That meant he had the green light to stay for now. How long that was, Elias wasn’t sure - but it was something. Beggars can’t be choosers. The phrase was ironic, never in his life had Elias considered himself a beggar, but here he was. His name had always been a privilege, something he could wear like a crown. If there was something others around him had to work for, all he had to do was throw his name around a bit and he’d be handed it on a silver platter. Most of the time Elias made the effort, and he worked hard for what he had, but if something even seemed to tilt in the wrong direction - a direction unfavourable to Elias - he’d use it to his full advantage. It was a dog eat dog world after all, if he’d been born with a better hand of cards than other people - that wasn’t his fault. Maybe his moral compass was cracked slightly. Though who could blame him, he was raised around politicians after all. Here though? His name was a hindrance. The crown that sat atop his head had slipped down to his neck, choking him. It was like a dog collar, one that singled him out and just screamed ‘do not touch, it’ll bite.’ One big red warning flag, ‘this one isn’t to be trusted, it’s pedigree is too unpredictable’. Elias sighed to himself, this was going to be a rough ride.

Layne finally spoke up, his words causing Elias to look over at the sky. He’d been outside with Layne for most of the morning, so the subtle change from blue to a dim grey had gone unnoticed. He could hear Layne speaking about it, but he was too preoccupied with looking towards the dark storm clouds approaching on the horizon. The boy loved storms, adored them even. He’d sit on his windowsill and watch the flashes of lightning, reading his books accompanied by the sound of rain and thunder. They were a source of comfort to him, and he’d always make the time to clear his schedule for the night if one was ever predicted in the weather forecast. Elias continued to admire the sky for a few more moments, before reality started to catch up to him. He wasn’t privileged enough to be in his boarding room back in England, nor was he in his father’s well-built and sturdy house. He was on the streets in a warehouse so rundown it would likely fail a safety audit before the surveyor even stepped through the doors. He wasn’t in England either, the country where the storms were rarely a cause for concern. They caused havoc occasionally, but for the most part they were ornamental - especially to someone in a position like Elias’. But he was back in America, where the storms had a reputation for being unforgiving and ruthless. The clouds seemed more threatening than they did ten seconds ago, and Elias regarded them more carefully. He had no idea what a bad storm looked like, the weather forecast always did the job of giving it a severity, that was never Elias’ concern. Things were different here, he was so hopelessly out of his depth.

What did a bad storm mean? The warehouse would hold up, right? His white shirt rustled in the breeze, but Elias still hadn’t taken his eyes off the storm clouds. Would they betray him? It was a stupid idea, storms had no loyalty. Mother Nature was brutal, and the idea of ‘natural selection’ had been overshadowed by mankind’s innovation. People got to make the rules on who would be affected by a storm like this, the rich stayed comfortable in structurally sound, heated houses whilst the poor ran around trying to make sure they didn’t lose what little they had left. Elias breathed, still unsure of what exactly the afternoon and night would entail. He wanted desperately to stay outside and admire the storm, take solace in its presence - but he didn’t have the same privilege he normally did. Finally he turned his head, swallowing his pride enough to ask the two men what it meant for them. Only Fox and Layne weren’t there, and Elias groaned as he realised he hadn’t even noticed the fact they’d left. His observational skills were lacking, and he scolded himself. Of course they didn’t have the time to just sit and blatantly admire the threat, what a naive mistake on his part.

Eventually he turned on his heel, shoving the poor excuse for a newspaper back into his satchel - he was tempted to feed it to the storm, but the vendor had given it to him for free, it felt wrong to use it for litter. Elias pushed through the doors, it was darker in the warehouse than it was earlier - so, the lights had failed. It was as if they were scared of the storm, not even bothering to wait until they were in the thick of it to hide. There was enough natural light for Elias to immediately notice a thick head of red hair. Red. That had been the name Fox mentioned. It was a shot in the dark, but Elias didn’t see another choice; he didn’t want to look completely incapable of handling himself by asking around. He paused for a second - it would be embarrassing if he got it wrong. No, he couldn’t just keep being so hesitant around these people, it’d only serve to make them watch him more closely. With newfound determination he quietly walked over to the redhead.

From the angle he approached, he didn’t notice the other woman until he was a few paces away. Oh he really hoped this was Red. If he was wrong then they had a witness now. The dark haired person seemed more ‘put together’ than the other, though as Elias got closer he noticed the paint that stained her hands. That caught him by suprise; he hadn’t expected these people to paint. Artistry seemed like a luxury they wouldn’t be able to afford. Brushing the idea aside, he looked between the pair. “Forgive me, Fox mentioned I should find someone called Red?” He started, nodding politely at her. “I’m going to take a guess and assume that’s you?” He looked between both of them. “I’m Elias.” He introduced softly. Habitually Elias held his hand out to the darker haired woman, in the gesture of a handshake. He internally groaned as he caught himself - stopping halfway and pulling his hand up to his neck bashfully, handshakes were obviously not a common practice here. He’d been raised around an entirely different crowd of people. Here he was, surrounded by the city’s stray animals and he was trying to shake their hand? Layne had made sure he looked like a trinket with his stained jeans, tatty converse and torn shirt - but his mannerisms had been left untouched. Well if he hadn’t embarrassed himself by assuming Red’s name based on her hair colour, he’d definitely done so now by going to shake the other woman’s hand. Brilliant.

I’m new here - if you couldn’t tell.” He chuckled, rubbing his nape with his hand. He had to be friendly. If he wanted to fit in, he had to make connections - the best way to do that was to make friends. He wouldn’t make friends by being uptight and expressionless, he’d only be alienated. Elias could be charming, he’d worked politicians before, surely he could do a similar thing with the trinkets? He didn’t bring up his surname or who he was. If they knew, then that was that - word would probably get around soon enough if they didn’t. He’d learnt his lesson from earlier, mentioning his heritage just landed him in murky waters with people for one reason or another. “The storm clouds outside are mesmerising, but I have to say I’ve never experienced one like this before.” He murmured, glancing around the warehouse. It took him a good couple of seconds to realise what he had said, and he looked back at the two women. “Apologies, I didn’t mean it like that. I know it’s hard out here. I’m still adjusting. I didn’t mean to be so ignorant.” Elias apologised, afraid he was just digging himself a hole at this point. His face contorted into a wince - and he felt the dried mud on his cheek cracking as it was stretched. “Sorry for interrupting you two. I’ve only met Layne and Fox, a taller guy brought me here last night. A bit muscly, had piercings, around 6’2 I think? I was too out of it to catch his name unfortunately.” Elias adjusted his necklace, eyes still flickering between the two.

[ inventory : satchel, books, lighter, cologne, pens, newspaper ]

[ tags ; fox, layne —> red, shiloh ] [ mentions ; aleko ]
chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

kimmy [5]

Postby avicularia » Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:52 am

𝐊𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐘
photographer || 19 years old || tagged; maisie, drew // fox, jo, red, shiloh [mentioned]

xxxCheerless thoughts swirled within Kimmy’s mind. Fox had said he’d wanted her to meet other artists. Would he think less of her for running away? Would they themselves be offended, thinking she had snubbed their artwork to run off to some field? She was ignorant for thinking she could fit in here, even without many of her belongings. This wasn’t the life she’d been raised in, and she stuck out like an elephant in antarctica. Unthinking, she reached down to an empty pocket and searched for something that wasn’t there. She’d left even her phone at home, though that one had not been on purpose. It was most likely sitting atop her messy pillow, buried under a pile of discarded papers, or set unwittingly in the fridge after a frantic search for food, unable to do its plethora of jobs until she returned. Yet she only wanted to use it for one thing. Maisie kept a busy life, but always seemed to have time to shoot a text back to an anxious Kimmy, chasing her fears away in an instant. She always knew just what to say.

xxxAs if the universe had read her mind, she instantly heard shuffling footsteps close to where she’d dropped. With it, when the sound drew nearer, came the familiar scent of vanilla, barely able to be recognized among the grass and dirt. The pine that followed caught her off guard, and she turned one cheek toward the two approaching, seeing Maisie with an arm linked in another man’s. She introduced them for what must have been the dozenth time, as she recognized the face, though as always, Maisie was quick with the gentle reminder, knowing her friend had trouble with names. Especially in this confusing place. Before she knew it, Mae was lying on the ground beside her, warm blue eyes taking in her own. When Mae reached up to push a rogue hair out of her face, Kimmy’s own hand ascended, seeking out the familiar. She interlaced her fingers with her friend’s and felt immense comfort in this one small action. Squeezing briefly as a sign of thanks, she allowed their entwined hands to sink back into the grass. For half a moment, she allowed her eyes to shut, exhaling a large breath that had been stuck in her throat since her premature departure.

xxx“Hi Drew,” she spoke softly, finally able to conjure her voice from the place it ran away when panic overtook her. Unfortunately, with him so close, she didn’t feel like she was able to speak her mind about the turmoil wreaking havoc on her thoughts. She wasn’t sure what Drew might do with the information. Instead, she grinned tiredly at the two. “There’s not much to do here,” she admitted. “I met, er…” She racked her brain attempting to come up with the names of all the people she met. As an added problem, half of the city kids were pretending to be someone else, and she was having even more trouble keeping that straight. “Red, Jo, and another woman whose name I can’t remember.” After a mild pause, she added, “and Fox.” Her voice softened, and she studied Maisie closely, expecting some sort of reaction at the name. She valued Maisie’s opinion over anyone else’s. If she knew something about the head of the trinkets, Kimmy wanted to find out before her heart outweighed her head. Already, she assumed it was a terrible idea to form any sort of bond with the young man, even if she did trust the people who lived here.

xxx“Are there ticks out here?” Even the thought sent a shiver down her spine. The gathering storm clouds worried her less than potential parasites hidden in the grass, lying in wait to catch hold of her unprotected legs. She’d come out here on a whim, clad in shorts and t-shirt, leaving her legs exposed to anything that wanted to hitch a ride. This included stickers, several of which she was now working on removing from one leg, fingers adeptly finding them and leaving them behind in the dirt. Normally, her mother would have been following close behind as she exited their mansion, reminding her for the thousandth time to put on bug spray and tall socks, neither of which she’d brought on her journey into the unknown. Despite her desire to lay here while the rain cascaded down around her, she sat up, her weary eyes turning to the other two. “Should we go inside?”

xxxNot waiting for an answer, she stood, pulling Maisie with her. Immediately, she wrapped two thin arms around her best friend, setting her chin on the shorter woman’s shoulder so her lips rested just beside her ear. “We should talk later,” she spoke in a whisper as the reverberating thunder crashed around them. With Maisie’s hand still in her own, she made her way back out of the comforting field, nearly tripping over the battered fence in true Kimmy fashion. As soon as she stepped over, she also grabbed Drew’s hand, not wanting him to feel left out, despite not knowing him well. If Maisie had brought him, he couldn’t be bad. Heading back to the warehouse with friends, Kimmy produced a genuine smile, finally feeling the relief of acceptance. “Let's take a group picture!”

xxxNot waiting for an answer, she pulled up her reliable camera. The lens cap was removed as she lifted it in front of them, snapping her finger down on the shutter button, which would immortalize them forever. Only then did she begin to pull the weeds from Maisie’s hair as they went, laughing to herself. “I’m not sure that was the brightest idea.” Without a true shower, she decided the grass would be stuck in their hair for the next week. It didn’t bother Kimmy. She’d forget about it as soon as the next event occurred, which seemed to be the coming storm. As they stepped back into the warehouse, she felt at peace, holding on to Mae’s hand and glancing around at the dimly lit room. Everything would be okay.
avicularia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

sparrow [1]

Postby avicularia » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:50 am

𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐎𝐖
newbie|| 18 years old || tagged; cass, fox, layne

xxx“Thank you so much,” Sparrow grinned. The man across from her was looking less than pleased, most likely figuring something was off about the young woman in front of him. Fortunately, she’d had the receipt for the return of the stolen clothes. He didn’t need to know the receipt had been stolen, too. She’d taken it off some unsuspecting lady intent on getting home. Bumping into a passerby was a minor concern, except that she’d managed to finagle the receipt out of the woman’s hands and then enter the store, collecting the various items on the list before approaching the counter and requesting a return. He’d been none the wiser, though was cautious, since eighteen-year-olds rarely came in and purchased hundreds of dollars worth of clothes at once. It wasn’t unheard of, however, and the return was processed without a hitch. Soon, he was handing her a stack of money, which she slipped into her pocket before exiting.

xxxIt was a short trip to the warehouse. She entered without much thought to the crowd gathering within the familiar walls. The more the merrier, in Sparrow’s eyes. Growing up in the foster system, she was used to strangers coming and going, so this was nothing new. In fact, it meant she would disappear into the woodwork easier, allowed to watch and wait until some poor soul made it known they were gullible. For now, she set the heavy backpack down on the cot she called her own. Unzipping it, she pulled a myriad of objects from it. Most had been picked out of pockets, storefronts, or trash cans. Sparrow didn’t mind stealing from any of the above, and despite getting caught once for the deed, she was quite skilled at getting away. Putting half a Snickers bar in her mouth at once, she pulled the money from her pocket and quickly counted it. Five hundred and twenty two dollars. Quickly glancing around the warehouse, she stored two hundred of it in her pack, deciding to give the rest to Fox. The trinkets needed it.

xxxImmediately following this, she dug out half a dozen packs of cigarettes from the very bottom of the bag. She’d quickly learned while living here that most of the trinkets smoked, including herself on occasion. There was an endless need for nicotine, and she often delivered, knowing the spots that they could easily be obtained. Sparrow rehoused one pack back into her bag, but took the rest to line up on a nearby table, knowing they would be found by whoever wanted or needed them. Beside that, she put a jar of pickles, a sleeve of oreos, and a cake that said Happy anniversary, all of which she’d taken from the grocery store several streets away.

xxxHumming happily to herself as she worked, she caught sight of Cass out of the corner of her eye. She gave her the same smile she’d given the store clerk, filled with charm and lacking any sign of deceit. Sparrow watched as she settled onto her mattress and decided not to bother her, as she usually might. Cass seemed like her social meter had already been expended. Instead, she slid the bag between a table and her own inflatable mattress, hoping no one would rifle through it. And if they did, they’d be in for a surprise if they got to the third largest pocket, which contained a device that would set fire to everything inside.

xxxThe creaking of the front door caught her attention. She turned just in time to see Fox entering with Layne. The two were inseparable, like brothers, something Sparrow envied. Of course, she enjoyed Fox’s company in the few moments he had to spare on something other than keeping this place afloat. They would joke and laugh with one another, yet it felt like another con to her, something he would take away in a moment’s notice. She would be ready for that. She always was, having been forced to comply with packing her things in a garbage bag over and over again and moved to a house with people who cared nothing about her. Despite this, she knew better than to interrupt. There were more important things than money (right?). Another man entered behind them - one she hadn't seen before. She studied him briefly, eyeing him skeptically as he approached Shiloh and Red, before deciding he was also none of her business.

xxxInstead, she sat heavily on the lumpy mattress, following him silently with her tired eyes. She put the other half of the candy bar in her mouth and chewed slowly, savoring the chocolate and caramel that coated her teeth and tongue. “Want one?” she grinned to Cass, remembering the other tired woman. She threw a chocolate bar over to her bed, landing it a few inches from the side. She didn’t know a whole lot about any of the people she resided with, having been there only a little more than a month, but who didn’t love Snickers?
avicularia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

-

Postby huskybaer. » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:15 pm

-
Last edited by huskybaer. on Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huskybaer.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

layne 》009

Postby nikbowie » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:03 pm

████ 𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐍𝐄
████ 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐇
x
xx
• he-him • 19 • right-hand man • location: warehouse • mentions: elias • tags: fox

Layne’s could feel goosebumps spreading down his bare arms, raising uncontrollably across the exposed skin. The wind was still soft, at this point, but in his mind, a storm was already upon them. His head swam, torrents of mental wind pushing at his temples; Fox’s angry words, the look on his brother’s face, Elias’ stilted figure askew with shock—it all swirled together into one dark gust. It was like the events were coursing through his veins, racing throughout his body. He kept his face completely still, his stare forwards and empty, but he felt as if he might erupt upwards at any second. What was this day? Never, never did he see Fox in that state. His mind flashed images of Fox’s posture, the way his brother’s whole body seemed to tense, like he was on the brink of exploding. Layne replayed the moment in his mind again and again. He should have seen it coming, should have done something to stop it. Layne had opened his mouth to answer his brother’s question about clothing, but closed it, only then realizing what Fox was in the process of undergoing. It was as if some other force overtook him, some part of his dark-haired brother that lay dormant in the shadows of his mind and emerged only when pinned into an awful corner. It was a part that Layne had never encountered fully; he had seen hints of it at times, but never in its true and outright form. And yet now, he had watched it overtake his brother’s body, spreading from his curled fists to his heaving chest, the shadowy force of anger filled Fox’s body and bore out through his eyes, and it was like seeing another person. Fox was a lot of things: Fox was kind, Fox was creative, Fox found the light where others saw only darkness. Fox was the Trinkets’ rock, he pulled them through each day, and somehow often managed to do it with a smile on his face. Never—or at least, not in Layne’s memory—had Fox broken into a true rage. But watching him release that rage, watching it consume his body and spill out through his words, watching it take him over so completely: that set every instinct of Layne’s being into action. His arms wanted to reach forward, neutralize the threat, take whatever it was that brought out this animal anger in Fox, and drag it far, far away from the warehouse, trample it into dust. He wanted to launch, to pounce upon whatever was hurting Fox this deeply, whatever it was that unleashed Fox’s pain—he wanted to pound it a state of non-existence and never see his brother go through this again.

He shook his head and brought himself to the present. That “thing”, whatever it was that was hurting Fox was standing right in front of him. Elias. The little prince. Those green eyes. It was as if two forces were grappling in his mind, an evenly matched fight that wouldn't end: his instincts, his body’s desperate desire to eliminate whatever was hurting Fox immediately, and then something else, something he couldn’t put his finger on, other than simply his eyes. His eyes seeing Elias, remembering the boy in the alleyway, all of it—that conflicted with his instinct. It told him not to launch. He watched Elias carefully. The boy’s eyes were glued to the horizon, to the approaching storm. His face was cast in shadow and shrouded by his brown curls; Layne couldn’t make out his expression. What was it about Elias that so vehemently fought his instinct? The boy’s white shirt rippled in the breeze, dancing back and forth and pressing against his ribs. Only minutes before, Elias had looked like he was hardly containing an explosive comeback. Now, it seemed as if he had slipped into another world, his eyes locked on the sky, lost somewhere that Layne could only imagine. Elias didn’t look back down as Layne turned and began towards the warehouse door. Before he entered fully, Layne let himself have one last glance at Elias. His eyes were still fixed on the coming storm, like a waltz between two dangerous forces. The boy’s jawline seemed to cut through the thick air, a knife in the haze of this thick and confusing morning. Layne forced his eyes back into the warehouse. This wasn’t the time to think about Elias. There was a storm coming. Still, as his mind flashed images of the morning, he couldn’t help but feel that there were more than storm on the Trinkets’ horizon…

Layne leaned against the wall of the warehouse and ran a hand through his hair, combing his mind and twitchily awaiting Fox’s entrance. Everything would be okay, now that they were together. Fox was his compass; his brother had the uncanny ability to sift through Layne’s words and tunnel straight into what he truly meant, even if sometimes Layne was unsure of what he meant himself. He hoped feverishly that Fox would decode him easily now, but Layne felt that today he was more lost of an opinion than he ever had been in Fox’s presence. Living on the streets, you had to be able to form opinions in a split second—it was life or death, sometimes. Layne was very confident in his ability to do so, he was a sharpened tool, a defense for the Trinkets that threw punches with its mind instead of its fist. But the weapon had somehow been scratched or dented today, not unlike the multitool he had sent flying to the ground; his mind was unable to slice through the layers of Elias and form his opinion of the boy, and he had never found himself incapable of doing this before. Layne felt neck untense as soon as Fox walked through the door frame. It would be okay. Fox was here, now. It was just the two of them.

He listened carefully to his brother’s first questions. Fox’s deep brown curls bounced as he talked. They weren’t unsimilar from Elias’, and yet somehow, so different. Elias’ drooped, scattered across his face, downtrodden, shielding his eyes and protecting him; Fox’s seemed to have a life of their own, twisting through space and air, reaching for the sky, often the stars, like Fox himself. How was Elias? Three words that would take infinitely more syllables to answer. Layne instinctively reached for the back of his neck, rubbing it as he carefully chose his words. He looked deeply into Fox’s eyes and began. “He was…a lot of things. He started out trying to get a read on me, to win me over, that was pretty easy to tell. He offered me a multitool.” Layne pulled the small but heavy object out of his pocket, holding it out for Fox to see, running his finger over the engraving of the boy’s initials and the fresh scratch. “He talked a ton at first, witty and lively, all that. When he realized that wasn’t working, he changed tactics a bit. Got quieter.” Layne paused. How much of the news stand episode to divulge? If Fox knew half the things Elias had said about his illiteracy, the boy would be out on the street before he could blink. “The news stand… wasn’t simple. But his reaction to the paper…it seemed honest to me, Fox.” He pictured Elias’ face, the circles below his eyes. “He’s dangerous. Really smart. Quick on his feet. Reads people well, guesses things a lot of people wouldn’t. But he’s also weak. He’s out of his element here. I think he’s scared, and looking for somewhere to feel safe again. He won't find what he’s used to here, but other than that, in some ways he’s not too different from the rest of us.” Layne let his eyes drift to the ceiling, trying to figure out a way to finalize his thoughts. “I don’t trust him, but I don’t think he’s lying, either.” Layne listened carefully to Fox’s concerns about police. They were more than valid, and the thought had lingered acridly in Layne’s mind too. The police were no friend to those on the street—the opposite, really. “This is just an instinct, and we should keep a close eye on the papers—” He stopped for a second, and stared at Fox, offering a silent thank you for the way he had brought up the newspaper without voicing what lay under the surface. “—but it doesn’t seem like his family is going to make any effort to look for him. Honestly, it doesn’t seem like he has family who care, or friends, even.” He thought for a moment, wondering if he should bring up Elias’ episode in the alley way. It felt wrong. The words wouldn’t form in his mouth, as if it was thick with cotton. He cleared his throat. “If you decide to kick him out, I’d understand. He might be more trouble than he’s worth. But whatever we do, I think we should let him wait out the storm here. He knows nothing about being out in a storm, I’m sure. The little prince isn’t weather-proof.” Layne allowed a half smile to rise and fall across his face. He thought for a moment, and then reached out and let his hand rest on Fox’s arm. He didn’t say a word, but with his eyes, he asked his brother: Are you okay? That wasn’t normal for you. Please tell me you’re alright.

Letting his arm fall to his side, Layne took a step backwards. Now, it was time to switch modes, to turn off thoughts of the curly haired pedigree boy and focus on the structural integrity of their warehouse. “We'll find more time to talk.” The issue of Elias aside, there was a storm on the way. That meant holes in the walls needed checking, heads needed to be counted, buckets needed to be strategically placed, bedding carefully moved to avoid leaky areas. “I’ll get started checking on the patches we put up last fall in the loft? If the blankets get too moldy again, they’ll be a nightmare to replace.” Layne let a gentle but determined gaze fall onto his brother. “We’ll get through this.”

We have to.
nikbowie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me