A Starless Path {1x1 w/ joji}

If you only want to roleplay with one other person, or only with certain people, then you can do so here (any genre).
Forum rules
Remember, all content must remain child-friendly at all times!
Users breaking this rule by using foul language, roleplaying explicit sexual scenes, excessive violence/torture, non-consensual 'romance', or other adult themes may be banned.

Re: A Starless Path {1x1 w/ joji}

Postby joji » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:08 pm

Gentleheart's expression shifted as the she-cat expressed her sentiments. She seemed genuinely remorseful for asking, but he didn't mind her curiosity much. He twitched his whiskers and contemplated reassuring her but didn't speak. Although the subject was a tad sensitive, it wasn't something he considered too personal to share. As far as this point, no cat he had come across inquired about his past so bluntly. Most merely wanted to get on their way, rushing to conclude their brief, uncomfortable encounters. Many were skeptical, reasonably, to accept help from a stranger. Once or twice, a cat would catch him a meal in exchange for his assistance. This would be the first time any cat had helped him, let alone without wanting something in return. They lingered in thoughtful silence for a moment until Rainshadow glanced over her shoulder and ended their short acquaintance with quick regards, absconding in a flash before he could even respond. Thanks for teaching me how to hunt...! His body lurched slightly forward as if he was going to follow her, but then he sat back. He wondered if it was something he said. Does she know Briarfang...? The thought crossed his mind, and he paused. The idea vaguely disgruntled him, but it was distracted from a feeling of somewhat dissatisfaction. Rainshadow lingered in his mind as he realized he felt very fond of her company, and the disappointment he was feeling now was due to the lack of it. He turned around padded off into the glistening obscure woods. His breath billowed in a cold breeze as he attempted to find somewhere to sleep for the rest of the night. Another cat was the last thing I expected find... It's hard enough finding a mouse. He did feel grateful that she hadn't attacked him for ruining her meal, and even shared her catch with him. He settled on using a scant frosted bush for shelter, and curled up on the tiny patch of dead grass underneath it. His ears went numb as he drifted into a delicate slumber.
joji

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Koráki » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:05 am

Night turned to dawn, and dawn turned into day. Sunlight filtered into the sheltered hollow Rainshadow was curled up in, falling across her face. She let out a mrrow of displeasure at the brightness of it, stirring from her slumber. Her joints were slightly stiff from how she had been folded up into a little ball to conserve body heat. She stood from her bed and stretched, shaking out her thick fur so that it would fluff out to keep away the chill.

Her mind was...not troubled, exactly. It was more like she was confused, or puzzled. She had dreamed vividly during the night, far more so than she had in moons. She'd dreamed of running alongside a cat with a fluffy, light colored coat. They'd been separated, she recalled - she could only see them through the trees - but then they'd converged on a path together. For reasons she couldn't explain, the dream felt...significant.

The morning was chilly, but despite this, Rainshadow felt warmer, deep inside. Perhaps she had been rejuvenated from that meal. She wondered if Gentleheart had found a place to rest. Then she wondered why she cared so much - it wasn't like she was responsible for his wellbeing, after all.

Rainshadow's thoughts kept returning to the tom, even as she caught a rabbit-scent (rare for this season) and started to track it. Maybe it was because she hadn't had contact with anything to do with the clans in so long. Did she really miss her old life that much? It could be simpler, she thought as she tip-toed along the rabbit's trail, It's been a while since I've had company that wasn't trying to kill or steal from me.

She was distracted, so much so that she didn't notice the wind change, wafting away most of the rabbit scent, which had started to mingle with the scent of blood. Rainshadow simply kept on the trail as best she could. She came around the bend, stepped over a fallen log - and nearly retched as the stench of fox rolled over her.

She didn't have time to react, because a heartbeat later there was a snarl, and a flash of russet fur flew out from beneath a bush. She yowled in alarm as the fox bowled her over, yapping and snarling. Rabbit blood coated its muzzle, which snapped close just as she reared back. Rainshadow turned to run, knowing she couldn't take on a full grown fox like this. But she was just a hair too slow in her turn, and the fox's teeth closed around her back leg. She hissed and let out a cry of pain. Acting on pure instinct, Rainshadow whipped around and lashed out blindly with her claws. There was a yelp, and she felt fur and skin tear. The fox wrenched itself away and took off, howling as it went.

Shaking, Rainshadow hobbled over to a bush, where she crouched, breaths coming in gasps. Her leg burned, and when she turned to look at it, she cursed at the ragged gash that had torn through fur and skin. Just what I needed! She thought crossly, ears flat against her head. An injury - especially one that was bleeding like this - could prove to be an issue. Her mind, sluggish from pain, reeled as she tried to figure out what to do. What did Hawkwing do for bleeding? She tried to remember what the old medicine cat would do. Was it moss? Cobwebs? She didn't know if she could find anything like that in the middle of leaf-bare...

Rainshadow closed her eyes, wracking her brain for something. She wondered if she could use some leaves to at least slow the bleeding. Heaving herself up, trying to ignore the pain, Rainshadow limped into the undergrowth to try and find some.
Koráki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby joji » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:07 pm

Gentleheart routinely stirred awake right before sunrise, which used to be when he would get fed along with Song. He stretched out stiffly under the bush, causing it to quiver slightly. He was eager to soothe the returning aching emptiness in his belly. He dreaded the thought of hunting, but felt slightly compelled to test out the new technique he picked up from Rainshadow. The chilly morning air nipped at his muzzle as his breath formed wispy clouds. His whiskers felt frozen in place as he emerged from the meek shelter, and his eyes adjusted to the dim light of dawn. Letting his paws lead the way in a vaguely familiar direction into the trees, he remembered a patch of ragweed he had previously collected from, located on the bank of a large pond which was on the way he had already been. That might help keep my hunger at bay until I can catch something, he mulled. The sun appeared beyond the horizon, beginning to light up the sky. The tom's thoughts drifted to the cat he'd met during the night encounter. She was excellent at hunting. If only I didn't scare her off. His ears flattened in disdain for himself. Just like I scared off that mouse, huh? A sardonic expression tugged at the side of his lip. The frosty grass twinkled in the sunlight and cold dew stuck to his paws as he made his way through the woods. A faint, far-off yelp pricked his ears, but he brushed it off, determining the direction it came from inconclusive. Once he had crossed an extensive amount of the forest, his nose wrinkled as a faint danger-scent wafted through his pallet. It took him a moment to discern it as the smell of fox, specifically. His blood ran cold as the feeling of alarm made his pulse race, and he remembered the distant yelp he heard earlier. His pace increased in an attempt to distance himself from it's scent trail. As it faded, a new odor stuck out to him, permeating the air. It was blood, but not prey scented, this was an injured cat. Someone that might need my help! The scent started to smell somewhat recognizable as he eagerly searched for it's source. Please don't let it be... His mined raced as he thought about the extent of the damage a fox was capable of. Worst case scenario being death, obviously, but this cat seemed to have put in a fair amount of effort to escape the predator. He considered any cat who made it out alive against the odds would be especially lucky to get away from a hungry fox during the middle of leaf-bare. Considering he smelled no more trace of fox, he only hoped that it wouldn't double back to get both of them. Locating a stronger trace of it at last, he discovered a trail of blood and finally picked out Rainshadow's scent. He quickly stumbled upon the she-cat after following the scarlet droplets that were soaked into the thin layer of snow blanketing the ground. She was limping, with thick red blood trickling down her hind leg. She needed to sit still while he stopped the bleeding immediately. He called out to her before placing himself at her side, pressing his pelt against her bad side. "Rainshadow! It's me, Gentleheart. What happened? Did you try to catch a fox for breakfast?" He placed his tail on her flank, guiding her gently to sit. "Here, let me help you." He started to lick her wounds clean, planning to find her some poppy seed to help with the pain and shock she must be experiencing once she settles down. The names of herbs used to treat open wounds and fend off infection raced in his mind. Chervil, goldenrod, horsetail, broom, oak leaf, marigold, comfrey...
joji

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me