Growing WL pets/Removing pet from list

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Growing WL pets/Removing pet from list

Postby soratly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am

Its partly a problem, partly a suggestion.

There is missing something when it comes to how to Wish list works when you get a pet on it. When you get a wish list pet in a trade, it will be on the top of the wish list when you view it, easy it remove once its gained.
This however doesn't apply for wish list pets that you get from a growing pet.
Since you can get an new edition of an old pet in the december advents gifts, its possible to get a wish list pet before its grown. But if it grows up to be one of your wish list pets, it doesn't show in the top of the wish list. You have to go find it manually (and that can be difficult if the list is long!)
soratly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Growing WL pets/Removing pet from list

Postby tuna » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:06 pm

I usually don't look at my WL, and i go right to the date. It's way faster owo

hi i'm tuna and contr
ary to popular belief i
am not actually a fish.
(◐ o ◑ )

♀ ♥ ♋ ♦ tumblr

where am i?
it is a mystery...

did u know that tuna is called "chicken of the sea" so it would sell better in stores
fun fact
tuna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Let's say you trade for an ungrown pet.
This means either A, the server detects it automatically (and tells you exactly what outcome you get-something that would have to be coded for all pets, not just trades meaning you'd know at all times what outcomes you have in a litter- no point in watching them grow because you know what it is at all times)
or B, it's supposed to know that you received this pet in a trade and after an undetermined amount of time... mark it as 'just got' on your wishlist despite the fact you didn't just get it.

I'm not following how either solution would work. The whole fun of newborns/pups. is not knowing what they grow into Also, the second solution is confusing and sounds like it would be both hard to code and annoying for those that have pets seemingly randomly popping up in that list.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soratly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 am

-Firestar- wrote:Let's say you trade for an ungrown pet.
This means either A, the server detects it automatically (and tells you exactly what outcome you get-something that would have to be coded for all pets, not just trades meaning you'd know at all times what outcomes you have in a litter- no point in watching them grow because you know what it is at all times)
or B, it's supposed to know that you received this pet in a trade and after an undetermined amount of time... mark it as 'just got' on your wishlist despite the fact you didn't just get it.

I'm not following how either solution would work. The whole fun of newborns/pups. is not knowing what they grow into Also, the second solution is confusing and sounds like it would be both hard to code and annoying for those that have pets seemingly randomly popping up in that list.

I'm talking about grown pets. Once the pet grow up to be a pet that you have on your wish list, it should be listed in the top of the wish liste as if you just got it in a trade.
I don't know if the pets that you just got from the wishlist doesn't stay on top of the list for more than a few day, but I don't see any reason why it should drop down even when the trade is old.
So it shouldn't really matter if you just got the pet in the trade, or you got it a month ago and now its grown.

ShadowedNight wrote:I usually don't look at my WL, and i go right to the date. It's way faster owo

How exactly can it be faster to browse for the date, rather than just looking at the top of the Wish list page?
You do know that I'm talking about when you remove pets from the wish list, right?
soratly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:07 am

Giesji wrote:
ShadowedNight wrote:I usually don't look at my WL, and i go right to the date. It's way faster owo

How exactly can it be faster to browse for the date, rather than just looking at the top of the Wish list page?
You do know that I'm talking about when you remove pets from the wish list, right?

This method is faster for me too. Hoard pets are on my wishlist so the list at the top is usually longer than just going to the date of the pet that just grew. The list at the top is too full of wishlist pets that I don't want to take off my WL.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soratly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 am

-Firestar- wrote:
Giesji wrote:

This method is faster for me too. Hoard pets are on my wishlist so the list at the top is usually longer than just going to the date of the pet that just grew. The list at the top is too full of wishlist pets that I don't want to take off my WL.

But if you do however remove all the WL pets you get, anything other than just checking the top of the list wouldn't be easier :)

Now that I know that old achieved WL pets still is in the top of the list, then the point about just getting a pet you got a month ago isn't really relevant, is it?

The point in the main thread is that a pet that grow up to (and only when its grown) turns out to be a WL pet, it should be on the top of the WL just like when you get it from a trade. No matter how long ago you adopted it, it isn't really relevant actually..
soratly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Desmond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:40 am

Firestar has a point, though - the coding for that could be quite difficult, and it probably won't happen because of that.
Characters /2/ PikakeClan /4/ F3 Pod
Part of the journey is the end.

ImageImageImage
Desmond
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soratly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:09 am

-3B- wrote:Firestar has a point, though - the coding for that could be quite difficult, and it probably won't happen because of that.

Sorry to ask, but what exactly do you know about coding to know this? Don't be afraid to be technical.
If its possible to code it the way it works now, it shouldn't be any problem to adjust it so that adopted pets also get counted as traded pets when it comes to the wishlist. It's not really that complicated.
If I'm not mistaken, every type of pet (not individual pet) has an ID, that enables you to see on the WL weather or not you have the pet on the list or not. It works no matter if you adopt a pet, or trade it. Its still the same type of ID.
The only thing missing, is a feature to make an adopted pet show exactly how a traded pet is shown in the top of the list (once its grown). Its a very minor thing to make an adopted pet show as a traded in the top of the WL.

I assume that the problem lies with how the pet is registered when you get it into your collection. As it is now, the WL only register WL pets that have been won in a trade, so obviously the coding is looking for a specific action when it updates the WL. Asking it also to look for another action (As in a pet gotten via adoption that afterwards grew up into the WL pet) can hardly be that complicated.
soratly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Desmond » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 am

I've been working with code for a very long time, though I'm not as familiar with PHP as I should be, though I've studied Nick's tutorial as well as looked at a few other sites.

I can't really imagine how this would work - rereleases aside for the moment, late adopts aren't sent to the top of the list, either. I don't think the code is triggered by that event. I could be wrong (and I blame inexperience for that), but it just seems like it'd be difficult to try and code what you want, because of how the pets grow on here.
Characters /2/ PikakeClan /4/ F3 Pod
Part of the journey is the end.

ImageImageImage
Desmond
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby soratly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 am

I've noticed that even though you have a still growing pet that is visible on the list of all the pets, it still doesn't say that you have it until its fully grown.
I would believe that that somehow means that once a pet is fully grown, it changes its status. If the list of pets can register when the pet you have is fully grown, I can't imagine it would be much more difficult for the WL to register the same.
soratly

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me