Pet Organization: Groups vs Tags

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

What do you think of this idea?

Strongly support
42%
Support
33%
No opinion
No votes
Dislike
No votes
Strongly dislike
25%
I have my own ideas to post on the subject
No votes

Total votes : 12

Pet Organization: Groups vs Tags

Postby cakeandqpm1138 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:12 am

I would like to suggest that Chicken Smoothie switch from the current “group” system to a “tag” system.

This would allow a single pet to belong to multiple groups without a player needing to acquire more than one of the same pet. I feel like this would give us a lot more freedom when it comes to collecting, organizing, trading and displaying our beloved pets.
For example, I could tag the blue stained glass dog in my signature as "Stained Glass" and "Favorites" and have him show up when I look at all of the pets with either tag. Right now I have to choose whether to keep him with the other stained glass dogs or with my favorite pets when I believe he belongs equally in both groups. Then later when I'm trying to find him I would not have to try and remember in which group I decided to put him. I could find him by looking under "Stained Glass" OR "Favorites" rather than trying one group and then the other.

Things that could stay the same:
-Click the links under "manage groups (or tags, in this case)" to create, rename, delete or change trade status for a tag
-Check the boxes under a pet then select the desired tag from the pulldown menu at the bottom of the page to add those pets to that tag
-Select the desired tag from the pulldown menu at the top of the page to view all pets with that tag
-Current group settings could carry over into the tag system to save people the trouble of having to reorganize once the tag system is in place
-The number of pets with a particular tag is listed next to the tag name in the pull down menu

Things that could be added or changed:
-Have an option to view all pets in the pulldown navigation menu
-Have an option to view pets by adoption year/month in the pulldown navigation menu
-Display all the tags a pet has on its pet page
-When viewing a tag, have the option to remove pets from that tag by selecting them with the check boxes (Similar to the way you can move pets to “Pets without a group” now but you wouldn’t have to remove all the tags from those pets)
-Have the option to add/remove tags on each pet on its pet page
-Have the option to select more than one tag in the pulldown menu so you can tag the pets you've selected with several tags at once
-Rather than just saying "You own this pet" on the archives page, it could say "you own X of this pet”

FAQs
(Feel free to ask more questions either by posting below or sending me a PM)

Won't this system take up too much time and be too complicated?
People who prefer the group system would only need to place pets under a single tag just the exact same way the group system works. People who prefer to use multiple tags per pet could do just that. Using the same check box system we use now, it would take no more or less time to organize new pets as it does now. The tag system is only as complicated and time consuming as each individual user chooses to make it, just like the group system is already but with more flexibility.

How will I know how many of a pet I have if a single pet is in multiple groups?
A few of the new features I suggest above would make it easy to keep track of how many of a pet you have. A counter (“you own X of this pet”) on the archives page –or even on the pet’s page too- would help. Additionally, since pets are automatically displayed in order of adoption date you could view all pets, view pets by year/month etc. and be able to tell quickly and easily how many of a pet you have.

What if I trade away a pet I only have one of because I mistake a single pet in multiple groups for multiple copies of that pet?
Trading pets is always a risky pastime and it’s already up to each of us to make our own decisions about which trades we offer and which ones we accept. A tag system would not change the fact that it is each user’s responsibility to keep track of their pets if they’re going to trade them. People already make trade groups and NFT groups; they could make trade and NFT tags just as easily. People already have the option to enable/disable trades for each individual group; they could enable/disable trades for each individual tag just as easily. People already give pets names and items to distinguish between them; tags would not interfere with those methods at all.

(Edited from the original post 1/4/2012)
Last edited by cakeandqpm1138 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cakeandqpm1138

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pet Organization: Groups vs Tags

Postby icarusAbstracted » Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 pm

You know, I actually really like this idea. It would be very useful to me. I always have issues, I have an Advent group and a Favorites group. Some of my favorites are Advents. Which group overrides the other? I think this would be very useful.
And it would work well with trading I think too. Instead of it being sorted by groups it would be sorted by Tags. I don't know how simple it would be to code, but I would absolutely LOVE this!
╭───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╮
icky they/them or xey/xem adult

old player trying to be more active tons of old rares to trade
╰───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╯
icarusAbstracted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Orbitsy » Sat May 14, 2011 3:04 am

Support. This would make stuff a lot easier :D
SUBETA
sign up to Subeta, another virtual pets website, please by clicking the above link!! <3
Orbitsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chachi » Sat May 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Support.
This would make things alot easier , such as when I get Staff Birthday Dogs I dont know if I should put them in Staff Birthday or Dogs. When they belong in both.
Chachi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wickedwolfgirl » Sat May 14, 2011 3:50 pm

This would be amazing for trades I think. You can tag estimated value and things like that, or you can just use it to mark trade groups and giveaway pets. (I do an advent giveaway, and this would be awesome for that.)
This is a G I F T, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb and who is the knife?
M I D A S is king and he hold me so tight
He turned me to
gold in the sunlight

ImageImageImage
"You say roleplay addict like it's a bad thing..."
I am on a quest! A quest to improve my trade group! All trades are appreciated.
Call me Wicked. Or WWG is fine too.
Over 115 pets in my hoard! Want to help? Send a trade on over!
wickedwolfgirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NocturnAlice66 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:07 pm

I agree! This would make things awesome, and so much easier. I often have trouble deciding which group to put a pet in since I have special groups/ collections in addition to monthly groups.
✨She/ Her ✨ Artist ✨ Sword Fighter ✨ Spooky Nerd✨

12/16/2011 RIP my little Andy. You will forever be loved, and will always be missed.
NocturnAlice66

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Disgustedorite » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:04 am

I like the idea, but it seems Nick doesn't know about it yet.....
Disgustedorite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby salinity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 am

Tag? As in all the pets in one huge mess but they're "tagged" with a name to them? Or did you mean something else? I'm not too keen on having my pets in a bundle since I think groups are neater and much more organized. I the group function right now since I just have to remember which group the pet is in and voila, I find it. Tagging would make it much harder to find things in my opinion. Sorry to disagree ^^;
| call me lok | they/it |

---

getting back into this site! please feel free to send me trades for things on my wishlist (pleading emoji here)

---

toyhouse - twitter
aur | fringe & wit | comps
salinity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icarusAbstracted » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am

Lokette wrote:Tag? As in all the pets in one huge mess but they're "tagged" with a name to them? Or did you mean something else? I'm not too keen on having my pets in a bundle since I think groups are neater and much more organized. I the group function right now since I just have to remember which group the pet is in and voila, I find it. Tagging would make it much harder to find things in my opinion. Sorry to disagree ^^;

How I understood it is like, under the pet, would be the name of the Tags. Like, one tag could be Dog. But then if the dog is an advent it could also be under the tag, Advent, at the same time. And it could also be a pet that is NTF, so another tag could show up under it, NFT. Make sense?

How I would think it works best it to have like, a big lump group, with every pet you own. But then the tags would be links, so you click on a tag under a pet, and it would show you only pets under that tag. Make sense?
Or it could be set up like groups. The little drop-down menu shows the lump group, and a little Tag Group, for every different Tag. SO you can go to the Group Tag advent, and see the advent dog, you could go to the Group Tag Dog and see the dog, or you could go to the Group Tag NFT and see the dog. Or you could see the dog in the lump group.

And if space is an issue, instead of listing tags under pets, it could just have the menu for mavigating, and the tags that the pet is under on the pet page. Make sense? And even there it could be the tags link to the Group Tag. That way you can get to it easily if you, say, saw the dog in the dog section and were like "Oh hey, let's go look at my pretty advents!"

Did that make any sense to anyone besides myself? Is this what you meant, original poster whom I forgot the name of?
I think I will draw a picture of how I mean, just so you can understand bwetter if this didn't make any sense.
╭───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╮
icky they/them or xey/xem adult

old player trying to be more active tons of old rares to trade
╰───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╯
icarusAbstracted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aeire » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:23 am

Ananda Regalia wrote:Or it could be set up like groups. The little drop-down menu shows the lump group, and a little Tag Group, for every different Tag. SO you can go to the Group Tag advent, and see the advent dog, you could go to the Group Tag Dog and see the dog, or you could go to the Group Tag NFT and see the dog. Or you could see the dog in the lump group.

I think the tag idea is excellent, along with the organization that Ananda proposed :3
I could be wrong, though.
Aeire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me