A "How to lock your groups!" Banner

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes!
57%
No!
29%
Maybe. (Leave a comment!)
14%

Total votes : 14

A "How to lock your groups!" Banner

Postby Ziel » Wed May 04, 2011 9:29 am

I've noticed, more than once, that people do not know how to lock their groups. I am aware that there is a post/announcement somewhere that has a tutorial on how to do this. However, it doesn't seem a lot of people see this, or pay attention to this.

My suggestion: To have a "How to lock your groups!" banner at the top or bottom of the Trade Settings/Trading Center so that people see it, and can click it and follow it to the tutorial. It doesn't even have to be a banner! Perhaps it could simply be large, bolded text, so that people can see and learn how to lock their pet groups.

It would help a lot of people, and hopefully reduce confusion and frustration with people who don't lock their groups, but still don't want to trade their pets. (We all know people ignore Trading Rules or Group/Pet Names! :lol: ) I mentioned this on the "Trade Rant Thread", and many people thought it would be a good idea. What do you think?
I AM LEAVING CHICKEN SMOOTHIE!
I am giving away free pets HERE!
I am trading the rest of my pets for Artwork or Character Designs/Closed Species!
You must READ AND FOLLOW MY RULES! If you break them twice, I will BLOCK YOU!
Ziel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: A "How to lock your groups!" Banner

Postby Optimistic Kitten » Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Hm... that would be nice for newbies who don't know anything about trading
I went crazy trying to figure out how to write trade rules :P
Optimistic Kitten

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ziel » Thu May 05, 2011 5:35 am

rightear123 wrote:Hm... that would be nice for newbies who don't know anything about trading
I went crazy trying to figure out how to write trade rules :P

Well, it's not so much the "Trade Settings" tutorial (You just have to click that and write there like you would in a post), this is for people who don't know how to lock their groups. But yes, newbies should learn both. ;)
I am trading the rest of my pets for Artwork or Character Designs/Closed Species!
Ziel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ziel » Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 am

Bump. Need more feedback!
Ziel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icarusAbstracted » Sat May 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Hm, seems a bit pointless to me. But that is because I am ver adaptable and just explore until i figure everything out, so it would be entirely useless for me. And annoying because it would take up space.
╭───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╮
icky they/them or xey/xem adult

old player trying to be more active tons of old rares to trade
╰───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ───── ⋅⋅⋅ ★ ⋅⋅⋅ ───── ⋅ ✩ ⋅ ─────╯
icarusAbstracted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby | Aloy | » Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 am

There is already info on this under "Help" if anyone wants to learn.
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/help/trading#blockpets
| Aloy |

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ziel » Sun May 15, 2011 7:20 am

Kandihar wrote:There is already info on this under "Help" if anyone wants to learn.
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/help/trading#blockpets

Yes, but people don't go use the Help section as far as I can tell. Or they don't know how to find it, and even if they do, they may not understand it in text.

I don't think it would be annoying for it to be there. You don't have to click on it if you don't want to, and it's not like it's going to take up your entire page! :lol:

CS could probably even adapt it so that even though it's there, the trade section won't change that much... I mean, don't you have to scroll down to see all of your trade history anyways?
Ziel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icarusAbstracted » Sun May 15, 2011 7:28 am

It would still bug me. It would feel out of place and like I said, it would be pointless for me. But maybe a link to the help page thingy would suffice. Just a banner could get annoying, you only need to see it once, so why have it the whole time? And since it's an image it would have to load, and that can get annoying.
Oh and just a comment, the mods really hate those messages in people signatures like the one you have. They remove them when they see them. You should probably take it out.

icarusAbstracted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ziel » Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 am

Ananda Regalia wrote:It would still bug me. It would feel out of place and like I said, it would be pointless for me. But maybe a link to the help page thingy would suffice. Just a banner could get annoying, you only need to see it once, so why have it the whole time? And since it's an image it would have to load, and that can get annoying.
Oh and just a comment, the mods really hate those messages in people signatures like the one you have. They remove them when they see them. You should probably take it out.

I'm sure CS could code it so that people who click on it at least once don't see it anymore, or people that have locked their groups don't see it. :3

And what comment? The one about me and Sam being friends? It's true, and I keep getting the "STOP! It's against the rules to have multiple accounts!" thing popping up when I trade with her. That's the only reason it's there. Otherwise, I wouldn't have put it on my siggy.
Ziel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby icarusAbstracted » Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 am

That would be hard work for Nick, I mean, he already has tons of things to do as it is. And like I said, I just wouldn't find it very useful, it is pretty obvious how to lock your groups. The only thing is that maybe 'enabled' & 'disabled' are too advanced for some users. Other than that I don't really see anyone having an issue with it. I have never come across anyone who doesn't know how to lock their groups, or at least not that I've been aware. It just doesn't seem a big enough problem to warrant a banner.

Everyone who is trading with the same IP address gets that. If you read the whole thing, it says that if you are actually 2 people just sharing a computer then to ignore the message. The mods have said more than once that the messages don't make a difference. If you are cheating then the message won't do anything, and if you aren't cheating they won't suspect you. They look at your trades, if there are a lot of trades just sending pets to the other person, then you will be accused of cheating, the message makes no difference. THe mods d not ike the messages and remove them when they see them like I said.

icarusAbstracted

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me