PSA about copying code?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

PSA about copying code?

Postby nickjr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Just like how people don't treat art the same way as words, so do they also not treat code the same. We all know that plagiarism with words is a big no-no, but art and code seem to be "okay" to redistribute to a lot of people. It's understandable that people think this way, but it doesn't make it any less wrong.

Code copyright is a very real thing in the real world, both for programming languages (of course) and markup languages (pretty sure BBCode falls under this heading, along with HTML/CSS of course). It's obviously harder to define the edges of the gray area when it comes to code copyright, but I think we can at least send out the general message that code should be treated the same way as words and art.

"But nickjr, it's not like it matters on a site like CS!"
You can apply that same argument to words and art on CS lol may as well toss "code is not exempt from the moral laws of copying" into the bucket of life lessons :P

I'm not thinking of anything super detailed; just some brief overview or summary or something that says that code isn't exempt from the moral laws of copying just because it's code (and a little bit saying that you can't really copyright simple applications of BBCode or else we'll all get reported for using the bold tag), because sometimes there are instances where someone blatantly copies someone's entire complex code and I think this may help to reduce the number of those instances

I poked my head in a few forums but didn't see a code PSA already while I did see several topics about art theft; please ship me a new pair of glasses if I missed such a PSA lol

Thoughts?
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: PSA about copying code?

Postby ede » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:56 pm

I know that the roleplay forum has a thing about this:

Tess wrote:Special formatting for reference sheets and roleplay topics, common names and images
We sometimes get reports complaining that someone has stolen their layout or "form". Unfortunately you cannot copyright your particular layout of bb code and font colors. We encourage everyone to design their own roleplay layouts, but there's nothing we can do if someone else's font color, alignment, size and placement of images looks suspiciously similar to the formatting of your own posts. It's quite possible that the same design may have been thought of independently and it's not worth getting upset about it.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1947371
I guess this goes for all code on CS?
ede

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: PSA about copying code?

Postby nickjr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Haha oops, I missed that. Thanks for posting it ^^ Guess that's it then
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me