A Guide to COPPA - UPDATE 14th Jun. 2018

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: What Is COPPA - A Guide {UPDATE}

Postby nickjr » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 am

For that one day, yes
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rebel Faery » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 am

If someone from another country went to America for a holiday, would they still be able to post? I'm going on holiday next year (by then I'll be 13+, so I don't really need to worry) and I was wondering if my sis would be COPPA'd while she's there.
My Tumblr
I've decided it's time to move on, and so I've quit CS. It's been a good three years, but, well, as of May 2014, I don't think I'll be coming back. I'd like to say thank you, to all of you. Thank you for encouraging me, inspiring me, and being my friends. I've had so much fun, but this is the end. Seeing as this is my last visit, I've changed my username back to the original, Rebel Faery. It's a name that I no longer go by, but a name I'll always remember. I'm so sorry to every fan of TIAJNAD, to everyone that read my writing, to, well, everyone. But it's time to move on. To make like Elsa and let it go. (I was still on CS when Frozen came out. It feels like so long ago.)
let it go, let it go, and I'll rise like the break of dawn
let it go, let it go, that perfect girl is gone
here I'll stand, and here I'll stay
let the storm rage on
the cold never bothered me anyway
Rebel Faery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:10 am

Rebel Faery wrote:If someone from another country went to America for a holiday, would they still be able to post? I'm going on holiday next year (by then I'll be 13+, so I don't really need to worry) and I was wondering if my sis would be COPPA'd while she's there.

No. The law applies to US residents. Even being in a different country, the law still only applies to US residents.

Us residents won't lose their COPPA if they are visiting another country. Other members won't become COPPAed if they visit.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rebel Faery » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 am

Shian wrote:
Rebel Faery wrote:If someone from another country went to America for a holiday, would they still be able to post? I'm going on holiday next year (by then I'll be 13+, so I don't really need to worry) and I was wondering if my sis would be COPPA'd while she's there.

No. The law applies to US residents. Even being in a different country, the law still only applies to US residents.

Us residents won't lose their COPPA if they are visiting another country. Other members won't become COPPAed if they visit.

But if we came on holiday to the US, what about then?
My Tumblr
I've decided it's time to move on, and so I've quit CS. It's been a good three years, but, well, as of May 2014, I don't think I'll be coming back. I'd like to say thank you, to all of you. Thank you for encouraging me, inspiring me, and being my friends. I've had so much fun, but this is the end. Seeing as this is my last visit, I've changed my username back to the original, Rebel Faery. It's a name that I no longer go by, but a name I'll always remember. I'm so sorry to every fan of TIAJNAD, to everyone that read my writing, to, well, everyone. But it's time to move on. To make like Elsa and let it go. (I was still on CS when Frozen came out. It feels like so long ago.)
let the storm rage on
Rebel Faery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby twilight sparkle » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 am

ju8lia wrote:what if you join a day before you turn 13 are you still COPPA

Yes, you are still a COPPA until you are 13, no matter how close to your 13th birthday you join.
Everything you want
❝is on the other side of fear❞

╔═══════════════════════════════════════╗
★ ★ ★
lover of;; running, parks & rec, & sweet potato fries
art;; taking color-ins of <-- and commissions, pm me
ImageImageImage
★ ★ ★
╚═══════════════════════════════════════╝
twilight sparkle

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 am

Rebel Faery wrote:
Shian wrote:

If you are not a resident of the US, then the law does not apply to you.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby | Aloy | » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:42 am

Rebel Faery wrote:
Shian wrote:

You may be prompted for your age since your IP will be showing up in the US. I am almost positive you can just ignore it until you get home though. If not, just send in a ticket so you will not be COPPA.
| Aloy |

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rebel Faery » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am

Okay, thank you :)
My Tumblr
let the storm rage on
Rebel Faery

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cats,Love&Chocolate » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 pm

I have a question... I saw someone who was a "Registered COPPA User" and they couldn't send trade messages, but they had a signature, interests, trade rules, and had made posts outside the oekaki. While the posts weren't recent, the earliest were from August. How can this be?

"There are two means of refuge from
                  the miseries of life: music and cats."
                  XXXXXXX
                  Hi, I'm Cats,Love&Chocolate, or CLC for short. In terms

of CS, I'm not a very interesting player. I'm trying to (eventually)`
                  get a Nonjewel. I don't roleplay, though I would like to try one
                  day. And . . . that's pretty much it.

Also, if you need help on CS, I'm probably not the person to turn
                  to, as I'm not that experienced myself, but you can ask in this board
                  or send in a help ticket here.
Cats,Love&Chocolate

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fat Unicorn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Cats,Love&Chocolate wrote:I have a question... I saw someone who was a "Registered COPPA User" and they couldn't send trade messages, but they had a signature, interests, trade rules, and had made posts outside the oekaki. While the posts weren't recent, the earliest were from August. How can this be?

Their parents will have sent in a permission slip to Nick & Tess letting the user use some or all areas of Chickensmoothie. :3
Fat Unicorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me