We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby Marbles » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 am

shurikenfox wrote:
Fellefan wrote:in my opinion the main "problem" with the pound is that we can see what pets will be available in the next opening. when people spot a high value pet in the upcoming opening alerts are sent out and a lot of people show up making the pound incredibly slow, making it almost impossible for us with slow internet to catch anything good. I don't think increasing the size is going to change this, but making adjustments so NO pets in the pound are visible until it opens would at least do something.

Apparently, confirmed by other people, pound pets can be visible before opening? How is that fair in the slightest? It definitely explains how, multiple times before now, I’ve gotten to the pound and waited until the exact time it opens, and rare pets go immediately within the first 10 seconds.

I agree with this too, I never realized you could preview what was going to be available but it certainly would make it easy for people hunting down the list pets or extremely rare ones. I like that you can't see what rarity the pets are on the pound page and always though it was random chance or noticing what may be rare etc. I agree that not allowing this previewing may make a big difference.
Marbles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Radiowlet » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 am

more openings is better i think. it's super annoying to look at the page at 10 pm and see the pound is gonna open at 3 am when im gonna be asleep. it'd be even moreso if the openings were less frequent, knowing that my potentially Only chance for that day was in the middle of the night.
there's lots of time zones and fewer openings per day just limits who can get to the pound in the first place, a hope to get ~1 pound pet a day could turn into 2 or 3 pound pets in a week if you're in the wrong timezone. like someone else said, it doesnt help me if the pound stays open for a few minutes longer at 3 AM.

also, im seeing people say the pound has 800k pets in it, where/how are we getting this info? i didnt know you could look at how many pets were in the pound overall, when there were like 6 l&f openings in a row a few days ago my partner had theorized that the pound ran out lol.

but if the pound really does have that many pets i dont see why the amt of pets couldnt be increased regardless. maybe not to 1800, but someone else brought up 1500 which seems like a good compromise. with 1500 pets and 2.4 openings per day it'd be ~3600 pets released from the pound per day, in which case it'd take almost an entire year (calc gave 222.222repeating) for an 800k pet pound to run out, and that's not taking into account how many pets are added to the pound in any given day/week/whatever (which is. not a statistic im aware of otherwise i Would be taking it into account.)

this is all just the thoughts of a recently returned old player, i don't know much abt the logistics of this stuff, but this is my thought process n i thought i'd put it out there thumbsup emoji
call me radio !! she/it pronouns, queer furry artist. i'm a returning old player who's gotten pulled back into the game. i'm always open for trades!

formerly XxnightpeltTFM. i've done a lot of flight rising/chickensmoothie crosstrading, any references to that username are referring to me! my flight rising username is finchsplash.
Radiowlet

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LunaLate » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 am

I’m kind of bummed so many people are against the 1800 pets in the pound one. Do you really think the pound opening 0.7 times less a day would make such a difference that you would never catch the pound?
I guess my thinking was it was really nice during Easter when there were 2,000 pets in the pound every opening and it actually let more users get good pets. Because then there are more options. More people get good pets on average because, on average, the people with super fast clicking get less of the really good pets because the pets are spread out more. If the same people are getting really good pets every time somehow, they get a chance of a really good pet 1 out of every 1300 pets. But if we lower there odds by having them only get a really good pet every 1 out of every 1800 pets, everyone else could have a better chance.
That’s just how I think about it and it makes sense to me but I know not everyone could understand my reasoning and I’m not sure I explained it right. This isn’t an attack on anyone else’s posts, I just wanted to share my thoughts.
LunaLate

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaloafe » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:24 am

shurikenfox wrote:
Fellefan wrote:in my opinion the main "problem" with the pound is that we can see what pets will be available in the next opening. when people spot a high value pet in the upcoming opening alerts are sent out and a lot of people show up making the pound incredibly slow, making it almost impossible for us with slow internet to catch anything good. I don't think increasing the size is going to change this, but making adjustments so NO pets in the pound are visible until it opens would at least do something.

Apparently, confirmed by other people, pound pets can be visible before opening? How is that fair in the slightest? It definitely explains how, multiple times before now, I’ve gotten to the pound and waited until the exact time it opens, and rare pets go immediately within the first 10 seconds.

how is it not fair that we can see what pets will be released? it’s not like we can bookmark that page and adopt it from there. we still have to adopt it the same way everyone else can. the same randomization. there’s no added bonus to it besides just having a general idea on what’s coming out. why is it such a bad thing? because not everyone knows about it?

LunaLate wrote:I’m kind of bummed so many people are against the 1800 pets in the pound one. Do you really think the pound opening 0.7 times less a day would make such a difference that you would never catch the pound?
I guess my thinking was it was really nice during Easter when there were 2,000 pets in the pound every opening and it actually let more users get good pets. Because then there are more options. More people get good pets on average because, on average, the people with super fast clicking get less of the really good pets because the pets are spread out more. If the same people are getting really good pets every time somehow, they get a chance of a really good pet 1 out of every 1300 pets. But if we lower there odds by having them only get a really good pet every 1 out of every 1800 pets, everyone else could have a better chance.
That’s just how I think about it and it makes sense to me but I know not everyone could understand my reasoning and I’m not sure I explained it right. This isn’t an attack on anyone else’s posts, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

i also liked that. i liked the opportunity of having more pets to choose and not having to rush. there’s also been times when there’s like, NO pound opening during the day. every time i checked it was a L&F opening. if there was a pound opening, it would be a 3am EST or some ungodly hour…
      no signature for u
avaloafe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tattoo'ed » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 am

I'm not sure I see the big issue with being able to view the pets before the pound opens that has been sparked here (despite not being the original question).

It isn't a special perk that only some players have, everyone can go to the pound's CS page and find them for themselves. I know I, due to my time zone, look to find '3-5 hours' left when it's midnight in my time zone just about every pound open. I am able to preview what is in the pound and I can make an educated decision to stay up/set an alarm/or skip out depending on if there's a pet I want to try for.

But that's it, I just know what pets I have a SMALL percentage of even seeing it on my page, let alone being the person that snags it.
There's no other perk other than extra hope to get something you saw/wanted.

H e l l o I'm T a t t o o ' e d.
she/her

adult player | artist and entrepreneur |
| equestrian | cat-lover | mmo-player |
| tattoo collector |

always open to talk
'Happiness is not constant; it is cyclical. Happiness is broad and resilient, and the happiest people still experience negative feelings.'
Robert Gill Jr
tattoo'ed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaloafe » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 am

Radiowlet wrote:also, im seeing people say the pound has 800k pets in it, where/how are we getting this info? i didnt know you could look at how many pets were in the pound overall, when there were like 6 l&f openings in a row a few days ago my partner had theorized that the pound ran out lol.

784,268 not including the next opening pets. that’s exactly how many are left. just got to a pet you got from the pound, click the pounds name and it’ll take out to the pounds profile like a regular player. then you can click my pets and be brought to the opening list. you can also click the dropdown box to “change” groups and you can see how many pets are in the pound. you can’t see those ones anymore though. here’s the list though.
      no signature for u
avaloafe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lytala » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 am

Seconding all the folks who prefer frequent pound openings to help combat timezone problems and the like.

Another point that's been brought up is whether or not pets in the pound account should be visible. Personally I find having them visible is very useful for strategizing: if there are recent wishlist pets in the pound I stalk those, if not or someone else got the wishlists first then I just do a quick fodder grab. My Internet and reaction speeds are not that great so I rarely get the oldest pets but knowing when to be patient has netted me many more wishlists than I would have otherwise gotten.
Lytala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LunaLate » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 am

Looking thru the pet group for the next pound opening, I realized that there are many more recent pets than normal. I almost every day check the upcoming pound pet group, for about the last 6 months, and I’ve noticed a change in the last week or so. There are normally more new pets in there after events but this is so different now I actually think they changed the ratios somehow. HALF of the upcoming pound is fulled with pets from the last 2 1/2 years. Only 400 or so are from before 2018. I don’t have any numbers for how many used to be in there from before, but it has never been this lopsided before.
LunaLate

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stupid idiot » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

I think we should get rid of the pound

hit me up if you ever want some pictures of my pet rats <3