We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Postby OriginalStar » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:31 pm

After reading almost everything people have said I have gathered my own thoughts and opinions

For the main question, Bigger or smaller openings, more or less?
At first I wanted bigger and less, but after reading, smaller and more feels like a better outcome for everyone. Different users are on all the time and being able to hit all the different timezones as much as possible feels the most fair, even if the pound is drained in 3 minutes, there are other methods to combating that.
If it were me, I think it should depend mostly on the circumstances. How to break even? I don't know how the pound functions and don't know the stats on if or not the pound has stayed at a steady 780k pets for the past 5 years or has been on a constant increase or a contestant decrease. Imo 750k is absurd for a hoard. What CS crisis are we preparing for? While I dont think we need to drain it completely, narrowing it down to a 250k or something and trying to remain a steady flow around those numbers is ideal. Pound has reached 300k pets? Make more/bigger openings. Pound has dropped under 200k? Make less/smaller openings. Though again, I don't really know how often the pound is pumped full of more pets and if or not it is possible and safe to decrease its hoard and try to remain around a much smaller number.
If all else fails and the pound has 500k VCs and below, whats stopping a release of a second, larger if not more frequent pound that only has Cs and below or something, something to try and make the numbers more even if that is a problem. Just food for thought,

About the Pound pet group.

I gathered some pros and cons

Pros for seeing the current pound options
You can see if there is a super rare pet and be able to laser focus on it, you can decide if you want to stay up that extra hour or sneak on for a chance of a pet you want, or see that theres nothing super interesting and move on. You can discuss the options and get excited.
Cons
Trade/message bombing. You get a super rare pet and instantly harassed with people trying to trade you for it, as myself has indeed experienced it. Super rare pets are screamed to the world meaning the pound will be drained insanely fast as more than usual people try to snag that OMGSR and miss out. That and the overall disappointment and frustration one could get upon seeing many rare options but their first page selection offers next to near none
Pros for seeing nothing at all
You cannot be harassed for getting a rare pet unless you shared it, that or the chances are reduced drastically. The pound is a true surprise as you never truly know if there's an OMGSR or not, there is no sudden huge lag spike or drastic increase in users in a single pound because nobody knows if there is a raven dog in there or not. Everyone is blind going in, nobody is at an advantage. Nobody can complain since they never really knew what was in there to begin with and only a fraction of it will be shared in the thread. (Though ofc fustration will exist, I believe it wont be as bad)
Cons
You cannot get excited as before, no OMGSR hype. You cant decide if or not you want to try the pound because you cannot see it. You cant look just to see the options and wish people luck, its all gone. Its pretty much a small part of CS has been removed.
Pros to opening up the entire pound
It's a mix of both above, you can see the options, but you are blind to which ones are going to be picked. You can still discuss if not moreso on what could be released this hour, or if a pet has been sitting for years and maybe its time is coming soon to be dropped off at its new home. Nobody is at an advantage for knowing whats being dropped cause you still dont know, but you can still see and explore the options. There should still be no huge lag spikes since nobody knows if that OMGSR is dropping this hour or not.
Cons
Still a mix of both, people can still harass you for your OMGSR and people can no longer decide if or not they want to try for the pound cause they dont know the options. The huge spike in users and the hype when a super rare pet is going to drop is gone cause nobody knows still.

Im on the fence, but believe all or nothing are the better options. Sure it's fun to know what's coming, but not everyone will know and being blind puts everyone on the same page. Nobody is at an advantage for knowing as for most new people (and still many older players) know not of the existence of see the upcoming pound drop and know not of what to expect or click.

Pet randomization

I love this idea, cause it takes putting fairness onto a new level. You cant just bot click the first pet or super speed your internet to it, you have to take a moment to look. Everyone does, it might even make the pound last a little longer cause not everyone is snagging the first pet in second 1 and making the pound go from 1.2k to 700 in the first 15 seconds. Does it make the pound a little more challenging? Sure, but it does so for everyone, nobody is at a huge advantage and its no longer who can click the first pet the fastest, its luck. You cant always get a rare old pet every time.
That being said, I can see why it hasn't been implemented and may never be. When it comes to direct pet organization that does anything other than sort by date, I see nothing. I know everyone here would ADORE the option to sort your pets by name or rarity or even species AND rarity. Maybe even organize it manually. Something like Xanje's sorting if you know that game. I know people probably asked for it, and I personally don't see it to be that hard- it must be. Cause I don't see it implemented. I don't know why, there must be a reason cause it's such an amazing idea to help so many people with huge 1k+ pet groups who are drained to click each and every small box to move them page by page (Heck, an option to see more pets on the screen would be awesome)
So I can see randomizing it being a challenge and to not be considered, I could be eating my words later, but considering the lack of any sorting that isnt dates, I hold no hope. Even if I would love a randomized pound group to give everyone fair chances.

Altering the pound as a whole

Example, Dec 18th.
I have no idea how I should feel about that option. On one hand, I like to see and pick the pet I want on screen. I like to be able to just click the one that says its on my WL and go on with my day. But on the other, I like the randomness of the box, there is no competition.
But there is no choice. And as someone whos been active for at least 5 Dec 18ths, the rarest thing I have snagged so far was a single T7 ex-list dog. And my friends have been pulling ex-list nons worth. It's very disheartening but still nobody's fault. (And some people are probably even more unlucky than me)
I don't think if we were to completely make the pound random grabs for everyone will be a good thing, even if it does allow people with slower internet a chance to get a VR+
If it were to be implemented still, having it be infrequent if not designated "random pound days" would be a better option. Like instead of completely rewriting the pound, you still have it as is, but some days its replaced with random pound or random pound is added (If there is too many pets in the pound and it is decided to reduce it from near 800k to 200k or something)
Just add different options, idk, just a thought.

Best case, make some polls lol. Its easier for people to click to buttons and have their voice heard rather than making a huge post like me
Check out the Ransolite cave if you want a cute little fella to watch grown and later go on adventures with!!
ImageImage
OriginalStar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby Juliamon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:42 pm

Cryptic6914 wrote:Since when have people been able to view what pets are in the pound? I've never heard of this nor known how to do it myself?

You know how when you get a pet from the Pound it'll show up in your trade history? That's because the Pound is an account! accounts/viewgroup.php?userid=2887 All the pets in there waiting for their turn are kept in Pets Without a Group (we can only see the total number of pets because the contents are hidden, though in the past it wasn't), and the pets that will be given out at the next opening are moved into its Adoptions group (which is NOT hidden) when it's next to open!

As to the pros and cons in the post above, I would like to add a con to a fully-hidden Pound account: having to trust that the Pound batches we are given are all roughly equal as far as objective qualities are concerned (demand, being subjective, can't really be accounted for). This is the primary reason the pound rarity odds thread exists, not to contribute to hype when there's a coveted pet up for grabs. Without being able to see the Adoptions group we would have to rely purely on data from the Pound Pets You Got thread, which is *extremely* skewed, and if Nick changed something in the backend to shake up the percentages or something we'd have no way to know (or to prove that it had happened).
she/they, adult
Juliamon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Buster2918 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:59 pm

OriginalStar wrote:
After reading almost everything people have said I have gathered my own thoughts and opinions...

I read your whole post and I strongly agree AND relate to the pro of being able to see the pets. If I don't see anything worth me staying up that extra hour later, especially at night, I have peace of mind knowing I won't be missing out on anything of value to me personally. No one being able to see the pets does make it more fair overall, but as you said, it highly decreases the hype. If I couldn't see the pet group, I'd honestly probably not visit the pound that much. The odds are much higher of me getting a potato rarity pet that I likely already have by default, and I'd automatically be less motivated to visit for this reason. Of course, I'd still see the pets as the pound opened, but nothing has hyped me up to even get to that point in the event that we cannot see the pets. This is why I think it is best to randomize the placement of pets or use a different algorithm of sorting on the page. Of course, we both don't know why this hasn't been implemented, like you said, and I'm sure that's for a reason. On a far off note, I would also potentially like to see a poll or something of the sort to receive data from the community on what time people are usually available to visit the pound openings (to reduce disappointment of not being able to log on in the event of school, work, etc.) and open at the most available times.

edit: I forgot about Xanje holy moly I haven't touched that site in years
x
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
╔═════╗
xxxxxx𝚜𝚑𝚎/𝚑𝚎𝚛
Imagexxxxx𝚊𝚍𝚞𝚕𝚝xxxxImage
xxxxxx𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊
╚═════╝x

x
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxx.𝙷𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘! 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐
xx𝚌𝚢𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚢𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚊
xxxx𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂.𝙾. 💜

x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxxxxxxxxImagexx©xxImage
Buster2918

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby foxcloud19 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 pm

Ok yeah, I am definitely with others that there should be more frequent openings with fewer pets! That honestly seems like a better option. I hope they add that to the poll.
foxcloud19

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WisteriaDragon » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:16 pm

I'm going to add my thoughts too (albeit this a little tangential to the more/less frequent openings topic). For a very long time, I have not liked how the pets are in date order. I see a couple people have mentioned this, but I think it would genuinely help if pets were ordered randomly and also maybe didn't have date shown as well. People who know what older and more valuable pets look like will click on them anyway, but it'll take a few seconds longer than people just immediately clicking the top left pet (and then of course it's taken by someone milliseconds faster than you haha). If this is something that could be considered, I think it would be very beneficial in allowing a more "fair" adoption process.

Also yeah maybe closing the upcoming adoption group to not be visible would also help with this. I know for me personally if I see something super valuable I'll do my best to make that opening and then it's a huge disappointment to not get or even see that pet. If you don't know it's there, the disappointment doesn't hit as hard. As they say, ignorance is bliss.
WisteriaDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby whirlybird » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:20 pm

avaloafe wrote:TLDR: SCATTER all the pets. don’t keep them in year order.

i can honestly say i’m not the biggest fan of this update. i honestly wish that the pets were COMPLETELY randomized. aka, there could be a 2008 pet in the middle of the page while a new monthly pet is at the top. that way it would make users stop and LOOK at what they’re getting instead of clicking one of the first pets on the page and “winning” due to internet speed.

and yes, i can see how this can cause a problem for newer users not knowing what old pet designs look like but that’s why cs has TRADING. they can trade up their pets and get lucky with the pound. it’s still a race in who’s ping is better.

don’t get me started on how slow and irritating the mobile version is. >n< that’s just my two cents on this. i seem to have gotten more luck with the old pound than the new one.

side note: anyone remember back when you could see ALLLL the pets in the pound? i LOVED that. honestly made me excited to see what valuable and rare pets could be in each pound opening.

This
randomness, not competition, makes a fun pound imo
x
bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio bio
x
██████████████
x
FR Aywas credit
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
whirlybird

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Merp.com » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:45 pm

People from around the world play this game. Having basically one pound opening a day would make it a lot more difficult for people to at get one chance to adopt a pet per day. I don't see why people are saying 1,300 pets is a small number. People from around the world play this game. Having basically one pound opening a day would make it a lot more difficult for people to at get one chance to adopt a pet per day.

Personally I think during events the amount of pets should go up since many more players log in, but during the normal time, I'd prefer lesser pets and have it more frequently.

I really don't like the idea of dates not being shown. I have a really small wishlist and I've never really scrolled through the archives to remember every single rare pet. A lot of users use their wishlist just for pound purposes. Adding all rares to their wl so they know which pets are rare in the pound. Seeing the dates allow me and others to hopefully catch a rare pet to add to my trade bin to eventually trade away to get something I do want. Not seeing the dates would make it hard to find a rare pet if it's not on the wishlist.

Mixing the dates throughout the page would be great. There'd be a few more seconds to find where the pet you want is.
Last edited by Merp.com on Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pet's name Gizmo
Gizmo believes in
BLM, Womens Rights, LGBTQ Rights, Equality for All!

99% of people in the world enjoy skittles. .99% of people in the world do NOT enjoy skittles. Post this to your signature if you are part of the .01% who stand in the street throwing skittles at small children while screaming, "Taste the Freaking RAINBOW!"
Merp.com

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby duckblind » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Personally, I understand why having more pound openings would be better for different time zones and schedules, but having less pets available usually makes things more stressful for me. I like feeling like I don’t have to immediately grab something off the first page and it’s also nice to have extra time to potentially grab something even if you miss the opening. I do agree that having the pets completely randomized on the page would help. Maybe drawing out the distribution times between pages would work too? If there is a way to compromise with slightly more pets or drawn out distribution and a couple openings that would be great.

Also, while I do like being able to see the pound odds, I think maybe it should be open to view for a briefer period of time or maybe only show the number of each rarity available in a folder or something if it’s possible- I feel like the way it is now makes things way too competitive or laggy at times. I prefer to just miss a pound if it’s open while I’m asleep rather than worry about it anyway.
duckblind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryomen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:08 pm

considering i don't think i got 1 pet with a pre-2018 date on any of my pages in the last 2 openings and there were 500 pets left within 3 minutes, i'm really not seeing the appeal of these smaller openings like everybody else. it is next to impossible to get anything at all.

left with nothing twice today and i'm definitely more unhappy than if it had only opened once with a better chance at a good grab. i understand people don't want to let go of frequent pound openings but personally not understanding how multiple openings with higher chances of leaving unhappy is favorable.
something really has to give with pages of exclusively newer pets as well. have never had it happen on this scale before
the disgraced one.

mostly inactive. trading for monthly outcomes only.
ryomen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tindraake » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:41 pm

One thing I have to add now that I've been reading more messages is that, genuinely, some of ya'll need to stop seeing the pound as nothing but an opportunity to get free WL rares+. It's not made purposely for that, it isn't a December 18th gift box.
It's meant to redistribute unwanted pets (and items) as well as ones from banned accounts. That's it.
I don't remember when I've last gotten something super valuable from the pound, think it might have been months ago. Sure, it's a little disappointing, but even a less rare/more frequent WL pet is still something. Less to trade for. Not everything has to revolve around rares, rares, rares, y'know? /gen

"i Amn just........... a litle creacher. Thatse It . I Canot change this"

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Dividers by me. Do not use without permission!
Tindraake

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me