Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should the message change?

Keep the message how it is.
5%
Change it to something a bit less upsetting, but keep it a little bit sad.
16%
Change it to something neutral, like "hey, remember me? I'm a pound pet! It's ok if you wanna trade me though."
34%
Change it to literally just "this trade you made contains a pet you got from the pound, are you sure?"
25%
Get rid of the message entirely.
20%

Total votes : 398

Re: Pound message needs changing

Postby *~Pantherleaf~* » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:48 pm

Agreed.
I still have not been able to trade away a pound pet because of this.
✹ тнe qυιeтeѕт people ✹

textextextextextextextext

Links;;

LeafClanPineClanFleaf AdoptsCharries

✹ нave тнe loυdeѕт мιndѕ. ✹
*~Pantherleaf~*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby enokimoon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Betta132 wrote:
Awwwww, I'll never forget that day when you adopted me from the pound :( . They were going to put me to sleep because nobody wanted me, but then you came and stroked me softly through the bars of my cage and took me home with you. And now you're sending me away and I won't be able to be with you any more :(. I hope my new owner will be as kind as you were to me.

View the trade that is sending me away! I don't wanna go!

What kind of nastiness is this implying the pound is? It's kind of messed up that this implies the pets (which evidently can talk and are therefore sapient) are going to be killed if they spend too long in the pound. And that the pets (again, sapient) are in cages.

How about something like

"Do you remember when you adopted me from the pound? You saw me through the crowd, and you wanted me! I was so excited! So I' m a bit confused now why you're sending me away. Do you not want me any more?"

instead? A bit less upsetting, especially for younger players.

I love the message you made instead! :D
It's still quite saddening to read, but it's much more subtle than the original one, honestly O _ O
It's only now that you've pointed it out that I can say the message you receive from pound pets you're trading away is quite unsettling :<

Have a pleasant day, all! •w•
wwoof!
previously s-smolbean
less active // college o<--<
x
do you know i could break beneath the weight
smol/enoki \\ they/them \\ filo 🇵🇭 art hobbyist
PMs + DMs are openwangxian. [disc ^^]
of the goodness, love, i still carry for you

ImageImageImage
studying to be a veterinarian :4 !!
commissions : closed
semi-active : (( // GMT+8
enokimoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:Whimsical.Ghosts:. » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:54 pm

When I first got the message, I actually almost started crying, like, I get that they're reminding you that it's a pound pet, but is the message even really necessary? I've made people trade back with me the first few times I got it. I really don't think that the message is all that appropriate for a children's site. I wasn't even that young when I read it, and it still got to me. Imagine younger players getting it, ahh not that good. Even if you can block the message, not very many people know how to, especially, again, the younger players. I definitely think that it should be changed or removed entirely.
𝒫𝓊𝓇𝓅𝑜𝓈𝑒 fєυℓѕ 𝓟𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Hi, I'm Whimsy! I love birds, art, and roleplaying. Feel free to invite to or request a 1x1 and I'll join if I can! I also love talking to people in general, so don't hesitate to message me if you need a friend, I don't bite <3

ImageImageImage
𝐼 ℓσνє 𝓨𝓸𝓾
.:Whimsical.Ghosts:.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby recklessgod » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:56 pm

.:Whimsical.Ghosts:. wrote:When I first got the message, I actually almost started crying, like, I get that they're reminding you that it's a pound pet, but is the message even really necessary? I've made people trade back with me the first few times I got it. I really don't think that the message is all that appropriate for a children's site. I wasn't even that young when I read it, and it still got to me. Imagine younger players getting it, ahh not that good. Even if you can block the message, not very many people know how to, especially, again, the younger players. I definitely think that it should be changed or removed entirely.

I like the idea of the message being removed entirely, truthfully. Maybe a small reminder, like "are you sure you want to trade this pet? It was a pound pet!" But aside from that.. eh.
recklessgod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Postby Betta132 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Alright, the poll's up.
Betta132

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby douceur » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm

I personally have no problems with the pound message, but if its causing this much people distress, then it should be changed.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
douceur|she/her|introvert
like snow beautiful but cold / about||©

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
douceur

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Plushie666 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm

recklessgod wrote:God this message gives me such bad anxiety and and every time i see it. I know it was probably supposed to mean well, but it just destroyed me. I actually cried when I saw it for the very first time when I started playing. All my dogs at home are rescues and it just,, kills me.

same, i just ignore the message so i don't start crying
Howdy there~!

I'm a gay nerd who honestly hates herself! *confetti flies everywhere* Yaaaaay!
No but seriously- What's self-esteem? I've never had it. Sounds like fun.
Pet's name: Ruby
Adopt an EPIC fat bird!
Image N o r u n n i n g i n t h e h a l l s
Plushie666

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby N.SYU » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:01 pm

Me too. I'm traded a black chameleon with someone. And then I got a message. Surprised me alot, and upsets me too. I don't want to see the same message again, so I take every pound pets from my adoption group.
CS is giving us feels. ;-;
16th May 2022 - Leaving Chicken Smoothie
N.SYU

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .:Whimsical.Ghosts:. » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:02 pm

recklessgod wrote:
.:Whimsical.Ghosts:. wrote:When I first got the message, I actually almost started crying, like, I get that they're reminding you that it's a pound pet, but is the message even really necessary? I've made people trade back with me the first few times I got it. I really don't think that the message is all that appropriate for a children's site. I wasn't even that young when I read it, and it still got to me. Imagine younger players getting it, ahh not that good. Even if you can block the message, not very many people know how to, especially, again, the younger players. I definitely think that it should be changed or removed entirely.

I like the idea of the message being removed entirely, truthfully. Maybe a small reminder, like "are you sure you want to trade this pet? It was a pound pet!" But aside from that.. eh.

I honestly don't think it serves much of a purpose either. It really bothers me how it tries to make you feel bad for trading, which is one of the main purposes of the site! I definitely think changing it to something of that degree is a good compromise if the staff really do want to keep it.
𝒫𝓊𝓇𝓅𝑜𝓈𝑒 fєυℓѕ 𝓟𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷

Hi, I'm Whimsy! I love birds, art, and roleplaying. Feel free to invite to or request a 1x1 and I'll join if I can! I also love talking to people in general, so don't hesitate to message me if you need a friend, I don't bite <3

ImageImageImage
𝐼 ℓσνє 𝓨𝓸𝓾
.:Whimsical.Ghosts:.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby foxico ! » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Every time, it never fails, I see the pound message, even if I may not have even remembered it was a poundie, I suddenly grow extremely anxious and upset. I have to force myself to realize it's an inanimate thing and it's just a game. But when a trade is accepted with a pound pet in it, I regret it immediately and sometimes I feel the overly compelling urge to ask them to do a trade back. It honestly breaks me. I can never read it, I don't even click on the message. I don't remember it being quoted as harshly as actually implying the dog is being put down and "deleted". I almost didn't believe it was that. It's disgusting in game and in real life. No animal's life deserves to be destroyed, real or fake (at least morally in game). I dislike this incredibly and I genuinely hope it gets changed.
╒═══════════════════════╕
Image fox // she/her // bi Image
»»————- Image ————-««

helo ! i'm foxico or fox ૮ ・ ﻌ・აฅ
i'm currently obsessed with
deltarune, squid game, and yb.
i'm not super active here lately,
but i plan to start participating
in this silly website again soon !

twitter | commissions | toyhouse
╘═══════════════════════╛
foxico !