A Guide to COPPA - UPDATE 14th Jun. 2018

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: What Is COPPA - A Guide {UPDATE}

Postby Eiluned » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:35 am

So if
Fat Unicorn wrote:
Warrior Cat Lover wrote:So are you only a COPPA if you live in the US? :?:

Yes, if you're under the age of 13. :)

Thanks this helped a lot
Eiluned

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Horologium » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am

I don't know if this could be counted as necrobumping or something but I'll dismiss it as a guide.

This helps a lot, but to my opinion COPPA is unconstitutional since it attacks children's rights to freedom of speech, and self-expression. Regardless of my opinion, CS has to follow it or else they get in trouble.
Horologium

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:25 am

The Oshawott wrote:I don't know if this could be counted as necrobumping or something but I'll dismiss it as a guide.

This helps a lot, but to my opinion COPPA is unconstitutional since it attacks children's rights to freedom of speech, and self-expression. Regardless of my opinion, CS has to follow it or else they get in trouble.

I think the idea behind it was to prevent younger kids from giving out personal information (a surprising number of people, adults included, think that things on the Internet are different from things in real life--which easily means that although kids might know not to go with a stranger who offers candy in their car, they might not know that giving out personal info online could endanger them)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Elorwin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 am

Hi I have a question that I hope is ok to post here. Would it be possible to send a COPPA user a link to a piece of art on a hosting site i.e. photobucket. As I really want to gift a COPPA user with a drawing but I want to know if this is possible :)
Elorwin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DrinaLestrange » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am

Elorwin wrote:Hi I have a question that I hope is ok to post here. Would it be possible to send a COPPA user a link to a piece of art on a hosting site i.e. photobucket. As I really want to gift a COPPA user with a drawing but I want to know if this is possible :)

Coppa'd users don't have inboxes, so you'd have to send it in a trade message
Chloe born June 2nd 2015!
Anastasia born April 23 2019!
Monroe born September 28 2023!
Beckett due November 30th 2024!
My birthday is Feb 9th!
DrinaLestrange

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 am

I don't think it's true that you can't see the names of COPPA's pes in trades.... I once recieved a trade from a COPPA with a pet on their side but nothing I mine. I sent it back asking if it was a gift. They sent the trade to me again with the pet named "For you".
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 am

Cookie Jar wrote:I don't think it's true that you can't see the names of COPPA's pes in trades.... I once recieved a trade from a COPPA with a pet on their side but nothing I mine. I sent it back asking if it was a gift. They sent the trade to me again with the pet named "For you".

Did you have to click on the pet to see its name, or did you see it right in the trade?
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:07 am

nickjr wrote:
Cookie Jar wrote:I don't think it's true that you can't see the names of COPPA's pes in trades.... I once recieved a trade from a COPPA with a pet on their side but nothing I mine. I sent it back asking if it was a gift. They sent the trade to me again with the pet named "For you".

Did you have to click on the pet to see its name, or did you see it right in the trade?

In the trade.

And I have another question: What if a COPPA's parents tell the admins the kid can post on the forums? Is it Ok then?
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:21 am

Cookie Jar wrote:
nickjr wrote:

In the trade.

And I have another question: What if a COPPA's parents tell the admins the kid can post on the forums? Is it Ok then?

are you sure it was a COPPA member, or was it just a user in the group "Newly registered users"?

And if the parents send in a permission slip, then yes, the child will become unCOPPA'd.

Twilight Sparkle wrote:
[snip]

What Can COPPA's Do?

On below are the list of things COPPA's can and can't do on CS. NOTE: COPPA's are able to do everything once their parents sign and mail/fax a special permission slip to Tess and Nick. This permission slip makes them unCOPPA'd.

[snip]

nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:45 am

[quote]are you sure it was a COPPA member, or was it just a user in the group "Newly registered users"?[quote]
I checked, it was a COPPA.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me