Reviewing Blacklist issue

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Reviewing Blacklist issue

Postby Shian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:36 am

Spurred from this thead and piggybacking off of this thread, I'd like to bring up a point and hopefully make it so public blacklists themselves are against the rules.

I don't agree with the reasoning behind blacklists. Apparently they are allowed because it is to 'send a clear message to leave someone alone', right?

Foeing someone is a private matter. The person being foed often doesn't even know they are on the list, so the solution is to... enable users to make it public instead of informing that one individual? o.O

Tess wrote:Public blacklists already have restrictions - they shouldn't be posted in places where they are unnecessary (such as in a signature) and they cannot display 'reasons' for blacklisting people. That kind of behavior is viewed as unnecessary bullying and slander, and is reportable.

The reason we allow people to display a blacklist (names only) in certain places (e.g. trade rules or art shops) is that it provides some protection for the person with the list. If the blacklisted person continues to send trades/messages/etc, they can point to that list and say no, I've told you clearly to leave me alone. If someone has been asked to stop PMing/trading/etc with another player, but continues to do so, their behavior is considered to be harassment and is a reportable offence. It's much harder to report someone for harassment if you've never given them a clear message to leave you alone. Blacklists are not the most mature way of going about it, but it does work.

However, this still functions as slander. No one wants to deal with someone who is on a blacklist, no matter the cause. It's still seen as taboo and someone to be avoided.
Its like hearing someone you know went to jail. It doesn't matter that it was for a parking ticket or some crazy minor offense. When people hear the phrase "Oh, he's in jail" I'm guaranteeing people are thinking worst-case scenario. "Who did he kill/steal/rape?"
Blacklists function the same way and is slander no matter if reasons are put or not.

There should be a way to set up a blacklist that is only viewable by that person if indeed the only reason they are allowed is to send a clear message. Otherwise make it so someone can see if they are on a person's foe list and make these kinds of things a private matter. It is of no one else's business that so and so was put in jail even if it was just for a few hours. Reputation is kind of a big deal for everyone.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Reviewing Blacklist issue

Postby | Aloy | » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 am

I agree with this completely.
| Aloy |

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NSJT » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:43 am

I would agree to this. People already have a way of keeping a blacklist for their eyes only, it's called WordPad (or whatever basic word program you have on your computer). It's kinda stupid to make a public list.

But I also see the other side of the coin. A public list gives others a warning of doing business with a user. The lists work fine when they are used properly and not as a smite list that's only for users that have only annoyed you for a second. I think lists like that should only be for off-site trading or artwork:
  • If you see someone is on another user's lists in the off-site trading forum, PM the user and find out that someone does not following through in an off-site trade, then you can avoid trading with them and getting scammed.
  • If you see someone on another artist's list, PM that artist and ask why they are on that list and they give the reason (doesn't pay for their artwork or steals art) then you know not to risk doing art for them.
That's how those lists are suppose to work. If you don't like another user, just foe them and be done with it.
~ Seek out your dreams and stay true ~
~ I believe I believe I believe ~
NSJT

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BassNectar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm

I agree with this completely ^^
Blacklists are childish, there are better ways to deal with people.
BassNectar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 am

This has now been fixed :).
Nick