Rule Questions - Ask Admin and AA

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Rule Questions - Ask Admin and AA

Postby Wolfiedog3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:35 am

2. Your contest must offer a CS pet/item/currency prize. Contests that only offer prizes from other sites are not allowed, as CS staff cannot help/provide a prize if the contest is not judged by the host. You may not offer real money/USD as a contest prize if it is hosted on CS. (New rule as of August 23, 2020)

This is more about the new added part, but how would you all change this when some are already going on? Would this mean the people would just have to change their prizes even when the contests are almost over? Also what about people who don’t want CS prizes? I know I don’t usually use pets anymore unless it’s around the holidays, and yes you could offer c$ but some people have a surplus of it, like I can understand it, but I also don’t understand it, just because people are giving out their own real life money to give out as a prize so I’m quite confused by it.
Wolfiedog3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lacuna » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:21 am

Wolfiedog3 wrote:
    2. Your contest must offer a CS pet/item/currency prize. Contests that only offer prizes from other sites are not allowed, as CS staff cannot help/provide a prize if the contest is not judged by the host. You may not offer real money/USD as a contest prize if it is hosted on CS. (New rule as of August 23, 2020)

This is more about the new added part, but how would you all change this when some are already going on? Would this mean the people would just have to change their prizes even when the contests are almost over? Also what about people who don’t want CS prizes? I know I don’t usually use pets anymore unless it’s around the holidays, and yes you could offer c$ but some people have a surplus of it, like I can understand it, but I also don’t understand it, just because people are giving out their own real life money to give out as a prize so I’m quite confused by it.

Contests currently occurring with only real money prizes can continue and should wrap up at their current end date. If a contest with a real money prize has not received entries yet the prizes should be changed or the contest cancelled. If there is an alternate prize to the money, be it CS or other site things, that should be used instead. We made this rule because we had multiple real money contests where the user didn’t receive a prize, and we couldn’t help them. If you do not want to offer/win CS things then your contest belongs on a different site, because topics on CS need to be relevant to CS and we want to protect our users from being scammed.
Lacuna
Roleplay Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby In The Darke » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:00 am

So, I have 2 (not so) small questions that I'd really love clarification on;

#1 - I've had my avatar since like when I joined, randomly found it through google and have no clue what the link is or how to obtain it as I no longer have it saved, I can't get the link from the edit avatar section and therefor I can't reverse image search. As you can see it has no credit/watermark so I can't search for it that way. I never have and never will claim credit for it, but I also have never given credit for it and I'm uncertain if I should be (which I can't figure out a way to do). I'd love to know if I'm technically breaching copyright and should find a new avatar (I really don't want to, I love Mr Skele Legs) or if I could even get away with a note on my account page saying I don't claim credit or something?

#2 - The image and quote in my signature is from the Novel/Film Cloud Atlas, I haven't stated direct credit for either but I was always under the assumption that images/quotes/references to films/tv shows/books were fine as long as you were not claiming to be the creator?

Honestly copyright is just so complicated to me, if I was more tech savvy I'd make my own images for everything xD
αιи'т иσ вℓα∂є ¢αи ρяσтє¢т уσυ fяσм тнє тяυє тяυє

Lornsome night,
babbits bawlin',
wind bitin' the bone.
Wind like this,
full of voices.
Ancestry howlin' at you;
Now, find you devil,
Old Georgie himself.
Now you hear up close
and I'll yarn you about
the first time we met
eye to eye.
'you bring the stories'.
All their voices
tied up into one.
One voice different,
one voice whispering
out there,
spying from the dark.

In The Darke

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:57 am

In The Darke wrote:So, I have 2 (not so) small questions that I'd really love clarification on;

#1 - I've had my avatar since like when I joined, randomly found it through google and have no clue what the link is or how to obtain it as I no longer have it saved, I can't get the link from the edit avatar section and therefor I can't reverse image search. As you can see it has no credit/watermark so I can't search for it that way. I never have and never will claim credit for it, but I also have never given credit for it and I'm uncertain if I should be (which I can't figure out a way to do). I'd love to know if I'm technically breaching copyright and should find a new avatar (I really don't want to, I love Mr Skele Legs) or if I could even get away with a note on my account page saying I don't claim credit or something?

#2 - The image and quote in my signature is from the Novel/Film Cloud Atlas, I haven't stated direct credit for either but I was always under the assumption that images/quotes/references to films/tv shows/books were fine as long as you were not claiming to be the creator?

Honestly copyright is just so complicated to me, if I was more tech savvy I'd make my own images for everything xD

Unfortunately this would be considered art theft. You should never use artwork that does not explicitly belong to you unless the artist has stated that their art can be used in this way. If you are unable to find the original artwork then you cannot assume that the artist would be okay with their artwork being used by someone else, even if you found it on Google.

Everything in your signature looks fine to me! We don't have an issue with people using gifs or quotes from movies. If you are using long specific quotes from a novel, though, you should credit the novel.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
about - characters - trades
need to contact CS staff?
submit a help ticket here!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝
Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 pm

In The Darke wrote:#1 - I've had my avatar since like when I joined, randomly found it through google and have no clue what the link is or how to obtain it as I no longer have it saved, I can't get the link from the edit avatar section and therefor I can't reverse image search. As you can see it has no credit/watermark so I can't search for it that way. I never have and never will claim credit for it, but I also have never given credit for it and I'm uncertain if I should be (which I can't figure out a way to do). I'd love to know if I'm technically breaching copyright and should find a new avatar (I really don't want to, I love Mr Skele Legs) or if I could even get away with a note on my account page saying I don't claim credit or something?

Some info for you and anyone else who reads this who is in a similar situation:

Since your avatar is already on CS as an image, you can still do a reverse image search by either re-saving the image from CS to your computer/device or by copying the URL of your avatar (here's a guide to getting image URLs, but generally, right click and select something like "Copy image location"). (If you're using a device like a computer where you can copy whole images and a reverse image search site that lets you paste whole images, then you can also do that.)

In your particular case, I just did two reverse image searches on your avatar and I have no idea where it came from because it looks like a lot of people have used it and are using it as an avatar all over the web. Unfortunately, I would not be surprised if it turns out that your avatar is one of those old-school avatar GIFs from the 2000's that was widely distributed but whose source can no longer be found...
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Site Rules Overhaul and Consolidation

Postby The New Number 2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:21 pm

I don't know how to link you to my forum avatar source without breaking the privacy rules. My forum avatar is a drawing that I drew irl and uploaded to this site. The source of the image is myself and/or my personal Facebook, which I was previously spoken to about having linked to on my profile (I have since removed the link from my profile)
Love is love
"Who are you?"
"The new Number Two."
"Who is Number One?"
"You are, Number Six."

"Look alive, sunshine
109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit
You're here with me, Dr. Death Defying
I'll be your surgeon, your proctor, your helicopter
Pumping out the slaughtermatic sounds to keep you alive
A system failure for the masses
Anti-matter for the master plan
Louder than God's revolver and twice as shiny
This one's for all you rock 'n' rollers
All you crash queens and motor babies
Listen up"

"And Shepherds we shall be
For Thee my Lord for Thee
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
That we may swiftly carry out Thy command
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
I love möths & Mothman
The New Number 2

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby grey matter » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:27 pm

The New Number 2 wrote:I don't know how to link you to my forum avatar source without breaking the privacy rules. My forum avatar is a drawing that I drew irl and uploaded to this site. The source of the image is myself and/or my personal Facebook, which I was previously spoken to about having linked to on my profile (I have since removed the link from my profile)

Oh! If you made it yourself you needn't credit anyone, I think? You can just STATE you made it yourself if you really wanna.
jade from internet (inactive account)
he/him
grey matter

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm

That's correct, if you made the art then there's no need to credit yourself if you don't want to!

Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Seasonal wrote:That's correct, if you own the art then there's no need to credit yourself if you don't want to!

does this also include art of your characters or fanart that you commissioned from other people?

Re:

Postby Seasonal » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 pm

roheil wrote:
Seasonal wrote:That's correct, if you own the art then there's no need to credit yourself if you don't want to!

does this also include art of your characters or fanart that you commissioned from other people?

No, if someone else created the artwork then you need to credit them, even if the character belongs to you. I should have said if you made the art rather than if you own it; I see how that wording came across as confusing.

Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes