Rarity issues with Very Rare Rarity Tag

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Rarity issues with Very Rare Rarity Tag

Postby Atwood » Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

There's no point PMing anyone about it - it's already posted here where we can see it fine. ;3

There probably won't be new rarity tags added for quite a while, as we already had one big rarity shift when the OMG so common rarity tag was introduced and currently the system is working reasonably well with the ones we currently have. People will always want more rarity tags to narrow things down further and further - we could have a thousand listed rarity levels and there would still be a wish for more. However, the rarity tags aren't meant to be precise markers of exactly which pet is worth what, especially since demand features so heavily in trading, and are more just for very general assessment of value.

List pets aren't necessarily rarer than non-list pets - they're just valued higher because there are fewer of them in circulation, which makes them functionally rarer even though there may be just as many of them as a less popular pet. The Black Advent and BMD are good examples of this, as they're no rarer than any other Advent but are vastly more popular and harder to find than most of their 'siblings'. The reverse is also true, as there are some pets that by rarity alone should be high on the list and yet aren't even on it due to low demand. Really, any pet that's a VR should probably be a list pet, and the only thing that keeps that from being true is availability, which is partly due to demand and partly due to age, as older pets are more likely to be in permanent homes instead of up for trade. There's no way to measure availability, and so listed rarity and functional rarity will almost always be different no matter how many rarity levels there are visible, and adding more levels might just make it more confusing. For example:

Person 1: "My dog has a rarity level of 80, so it must be equal to your 80-rarity dog, right?"
Person 2: "NO!!!!! My 80-rarity is equal to a 150-rarity because it's got a popular line edit. Yours is only worth a 50-rarity because everyone got tons of that dog during its event, and that was the common one of its litter, too."
Person 1: "But... they're both 80s?"
Person 2: "Rarity number doesn't factor in demand - go look at the rares list."

See my point? Adding more rarity tags when value is so heavily influenced by other factors wouldn't really fix the issue, and might just cause more confusion and irritation because it would look more accurate and yet you still couldn't trade 'VR for VR' or '80 for 80' because rarity isn't the same thing as value.
Atwood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Azuri » Mon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm

I think it would show tess and nick we are considering all angles if we get the bad stuff dug out
━━━ PLEASE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ON THESE ━━━
Hello, I am Azuri.
I pretty much just run the FR Chat.

Image Image
Image Image

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
LINKS
━━━━━━━
My FlightRising
Buying art
FR Sales
━━━━━━━
▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒
▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒
━━━━━━━

HOPE
━━━━━━━
Azuri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fat Unicorn » Mon May 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Personally I don't support. ^^; The way the trading is now is perfectly understandable to me - it's simple enough, and the List is only a rough guide to pet values anyway - and like Atwood said, there could be a thousand rarity tags and everyone would still want more. It's a good suggestion, but I don't think it's necessary at this point.
Fat Unicorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Azuri » Mon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

My reason for wanting one is that the i dont see any VR ever becoming OMGSR in the near future

I think a CS statistic showed only 30 when there was 300+ VR and about a 1000 rares

it really seems like OMGSR is resurved for UR pets and specific '08 pets like the sunjewel

to me a Speckeled rat, Blue Tox, most mainlists are inbetween the OMGSR and the VR, while more common list pets like a raven are VR

with the rarity change, everything will eventually become VR given enough time, but only a select few will be OMGSR
━━━ PLEASE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ON THESE ━━━
Hello, I am Azuri.
I pretty much just run the FR Chat.

Image Image
Image Image

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
LINKS
━━━━━━━
My FlightRising
Buying art
FR Sales
━━━━━━━
▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒
▒▒ ▒▒▒▒ ▒▒
━━━━━━━

HOPE
━━━━━━━
Azuri

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jinx** » Mon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm

I guess there are still people in here who do not understand for what exactly this step should be done... We do not want this step in order to kill lists, but we want to add the new rarity tag for better understanding of rarities. It's nice if there are a couple of very list-experienced people, who understands everything and think that this is all fine, but as you can see there are a lot of people, who have a problem with using just those lists... Currently the lists should show people the difference in rarity in the VR/OMGSR tags... By splitting this up, you stop any discussion why some pet of the upper half of the VR tag is not on any list, etc..

Remember that this is really only for giving a trading preference, like current rarity is giving too... There will still be trades, that does not fit any rarity (like there exist currently as well).

Adding a OMGSC rarity tag is good, but does not help if you want to determine the value of a high-valued pet - These pets are the more important pets because there you could have a very big loss in case you trade the wrong pets away..

Another pretty good example of how good people understand the list is the "Is this a fair trade Thread". Have you ever tried to get information about a trade, which contains a pretty rare pet? You will get four or five different answers... Answers, which are really highly different... My girlfriend had one of those trades for example in the past with absolutely different answers...

I really would like to know if there is someone, who could point Tess or Nick to this thread here... I really want to know what they are thinking about this issue. As you all can see we have lots of supporters (even on the old thread), but as long as noone of those officials tells us how they are thinking about this issue, we will never know if the splitting of the VR rarity tag could ever happen or not..
Last edited by Atwood on Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merging double posts - please edit your earlier post instead of posting twice in a row
jinx**

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Fat Unicorn » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Jinx, if you have something to add to your post and no one has posted yet, you should edit your previous post. ^^

Anyway, Tess & Nick do visit this board fairly often, so they'll see this topic. If you really wanted to, you could send a help ticket, but that'd be unnecessary.
Fat Unicorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jinx** » Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Fat Unicorn wrote:Jinx, if you have something to add to your post and no one has posted yet, you should edit your previous post. ^^

Anyway, Tess & Nick do visit this board fairly often, so they'll see this topic. If you really wanted to, you could send a help ticket, but that'd be unnecessary.

Ok thanks for the information :)

Sorry about the new post, I already noticed that I pushed the wrong button, but I was kind of in a hurry ;)
jinx**

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Eternal. » Mon May 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Have you ever considered going the other way? Like a Pretty Rare or Kind of Rare, below VR
Also, there's the store pet issue, you could make a seperate store pet value.
Eternal.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm

becca1100 wrote:Have you ever considered going the other way? Like a Pretty Rare or Kind of Rare, below VR
Also, there's the store pet issue, you could make a seperate store pet value.

But store pets are calculated in the same way as regular pets

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1666786&p=51014920&hilit=Store+pets#p51014920
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ricorn » Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 am

If there would be a new rarity tag added to the pets, it would most likely go to the largest group... which would most likely be the uncommons. I agree with Atwood, a new tag will not help out much when trading since fairness is subjective. If we only stuck to the rarity tags, the July '08 rats would be traded for what they are actually worth and not Septembers and below.

Also, adding a new tag also brings out the problem of choosing its name. What is the difference between "Super", "Deluxe", "Considerably", and "Uber"? Adding more synonyms will only confuse younger users and those that do not have English as their first language. Think of it as trying to talk colors to a child. The do not know the difference between salmon and coral or irovy and beige (most adults do not know either), but at least they can look it up seeking out a color chart where it shows them the different hues. How can you expect them to know the difference between the words "Considerably" and "Super" who have no imagery to help?
    Super - An article or a product of superior size, quality, or grade
    Deluxe - Particularly elegant and luxurious; sumptuous
    Considerably - Large in amount, extent, or degree
    Uber - It is a cognate of both Latin super and Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), as well as English over and above
How is one suppose to know if those go before Rare, after Rare, or after Very Rare?

Image Image Image Image
Clowns to the left of me.
Jokers to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
Image Image Image Image

Tumblr || Flight Rising
Ricorn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me