Seall's Short Stories

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Seall's Short Stories

Postby Seall » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:52 am

INTRODUCTION

Welcome! I'll be updating this thread with the latest of my short stories collection. I work on them sporadically when I'm inspired. From poems to heartfelt fiction, you'll find it here!

CONTENTS

My Greatest Fear
Last edited by Seall on Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

My Greatest Fear [Fiction]

Postby Seall » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:55 am

It might sound silly, but my greatest fear is social interaction. I guess that’s what doctors call “social anxiety”, but that takes away from the immense awkwardness and disordered social interactions I find myself in.

I pulled off my headset and blinked at the sudden adjustment my eyes had to make. It had been days before I last took it off. Being essentially bald underneath my metallic hair meant that I no longer had to shower so often. I was happier than I ever had been with my appearance. I did not regret removing my hair.

That day, I was to dress as “normal” as possible. I recalled my mother saying “why can’t you just be normal for once?” and “this isn’t what normal people wear”. For once, her advice was useful: I was wearing a white button down shirt with black fabric trousers, a juxtaposition of my usual reflective foil-like clothing. I rolled down my left sleeve in an effort to conceal my implanted screen.

Living in solitude for a while, you’d think I’d forgotten how to take care of myself, but my teeth beamed as bright white as the headset I had left lying on my bed. It was time to leave it all.

In one swift movement, my hand swivelled the lock anti-clockwise and my other latched onto the handle. I inhaled deeply and closed my eyes as I pushed down. The door creaked open and the noise of cars driving past flooded in. Instantaneously, I pulled the door handle towards myself, my heart beating fast.

I tried not to think of all the neighbours that would’ve been startled by my door even opening. I didn’t even think they were aware I existed. I wouldn’t have been surprised if I were to wake up one day to my house being toured by an estate agent and a couple with two children.

Alas, I was getting carried away again. I once again gripped onto the handle, but this time I made sure to open it slowly. Peering outside, none of my neighbours seemed to be there, with all their drives being empty. ‘Oh, right… people actually go to work’ I sheepishly thought. My shoulders relaxed slightly as I realised that maybe society hadn’t moved on completely in the span of a few months.

I edged out onto the concrete, my legs barely pulling apart from each other. When I looked up, I was almost at the pavement. Suddenly, a surge of adrenaline travelled along my spine and into my brain. Startled, I gripped my fence until I felt steady again. My chin lifted as my eyes travelled to the clouds in the sky. Was this the beginning of a new, open life?
Seall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me