Ashfur's Judgment

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Ashfur's Judgment

Postby Cradily » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:52 am

Cover made with the official Warriors Mini Cat Maker, edited with GIMP
Warriors logo recreated by Tachyon-Siber

To any other cat, waking up in StarClan would be a joyous moment. But not to Ashfur. He still had unfinished business, and dying before he finished it simply wouldn't do.

Thank you for coming to read Ashfur's Judgment! This is my original Warriors fan-novella about what happened to Ashfur after he died and how he is judged by StarClan. It can also be found on my AO3 account here, where I have over half the chapters finished already. However, I decided I'd start posting it on CS as well for any who would like to read it here! I hope you enjoy, and feel free to post any comments or thoughts you have after each chapter!
Cradily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Ashfur's Judgment - Prologue

Postby Cradily » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:52 am

Prologue

Ashfur could feel water lapping at his fur, tugging and pulling on it from every which way. Blood roared in his ears, so loudly that he could barely hear, and his vision was as blurry as it had been when he was just a kit, opening his eyes for the very first time. He could just barely make out the dark figure standing over him, its piercing green eyes staring down at him with pure, undisguised hatred. He tried to open his mouth to speak, but only blood came out, leaving a sharp tang in his mouth. It was only then that he noticed the pain searing in his throat, red and hot like a forest fire, and the discoloration in the water. Terror took hold of him as he realized that he was bleeding out, unable to speak or move. His heart pounded in his chest, fast and hard at first, but gradually grew slower and slower, until it came to a complete stop. The dark figure before him had melted into the ever-growing blackness that now threatened to envelop him as well, and he realized that there was no use in fighting it. He felt his last breath escape him...and gave way to the darkness.
Cradily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Ashfur's Judgment - Chapter 1: The Leader's Judgment

Postby Cradily » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:39 am

Chapter 1: The Leader's Judgment

Ashfur awoke in a star-lit forest, although he never recalled falling asleep. There had been what felt like a split second of darkness between when he'd been sitting by the stream in the forest he knew so well and the one he was in now, which seemed faintly familiar and yet new and strange all at the same time.

He remembered a sudden weight on his back, knocking the breath out of him; a flash of pitch-black, save for the bright green eyes that he'd just barely managed to twist around to see; claws digging into his shoulders and teeth sinking effortlessly into his neck, as if he were nothing more than prey to a hungry predator; and finally, the rush of cold water as he was thrown into the stream, mixed with the warmth of his own blood pooling from his neck.

And then, the darkness.

Now, Ashfur stood beneath the blue-black night sky, but the more he looked around, the harder it was to tell where the sky ended and the ground began, if it did at all. The grass and trees seemed to grow out of clouds, and flowers and leaves looked as if they were made of thousands of tiny stars. Everything around Ashfur shimmered and shone and twinkled and sparkled with brilliance, far more brilliantly, he thought, than even the sun or the moon, despite not being nearly as bright. No, the light here was far from blinding, but rather a soft, comforting glow that seemed to emanate from everywhere and illuminate everything all at once, so that nothing was hidden from view.

"Ashfur."

The sudden voice behind him jerked Ashfur out of his thoughts and he spun around to see who was there, his eyes widening as he recognized the cat that stared back at him.

"Bluestar?"

The last time he had seen her, back when he was just an apprentice, she had been skinny, unhealthily so; her ribs could have been seen through her dull, matted fur, and her eyes had somehow looked even grayer than her pelt. The time following Tigerstar's betrayal and exile had been a tough one for every cat in ThunderClan that was old enough to remember it, but Bluestar had taken it especially hard, and that had only made things harder for the rest of the Clan. It was a time that most cats who remembered it tried to forget.

But as he looked at her now, all of those memories came flooding back, and Ashfur couldn't help but stand in awe of how regal the once-battered ThunderClan leader now looked in comparison. She was tall and slender, no longer underweight, and she had regained her color. Her blue-gray fur was smooth and neatly groomed, and her eyes were brighter than he'd ever seen them before, although there was a certain gravity in them that unsettled him.

"Ashfur," she said again, her voice calm and clear, yet authoritative and, like her gaze, with a grave seriousness to it. "It has been many moons."

Ashfur nodded. "It has," he replied, too shocked and confused to speak. Bluestar was dead, and yet there she was, standing in front of him. Surely that didn't mean...

But before he could finish his thoughts, the former ThunderClan leader interrupted them again. "Follow me," was all she said, before turning and padding off, deeper into the star-speckled woods. As he followed her, he noticed for the first time the lack of a heartbeat in his chest. I can't be dead, he told himself silently. I can't be. But it was hard to deny what was right in front of him. Here he was in an otherworldly forest, with a cat who had died moons ago, and where every physical sensation that told him he was alive was gone. When he looked closer at Bluestar as she strode calmly ahead of him, he could even make out stars in her pelt.

To any other cat, waking up in StarClan would be a joyous moment. It was the moment where loyal warriors who had spent their whole lives fighting and hunting and caring for their Clan would be greeted by their ancestors, welcomed into their ranks, and get to live the rest of their days in peace, free from the harsh pains of the living world. No more freezing leaf-bares or scorching greenleafs; no more hunger or thirst, sickness or injury, or pain of losing a loved one. On the contrary, StarClan was the place where cats got to reunite with their lost loved ones after moons of separation. To any other cat, StarClan was paradise.

But not to Ashfur. He still had unfinished business, and dying before he finished it simply wouldn't do.

That wretched Hollyleaf, he thought, remembering once again the merciless green gaze of his murderer just before everything went black. She might think she's won, but she hasn't. He was once again pulled out of his thoughts when he noticed Bluestar had stopped, and jerked to a stop to avoid bumping into her. The former ThunderClan leader already didn't seem ecstatic to see him, but then again she had always been stoic, even before Tigerstar's betrayal. Perhaps he had simply read her wrong. Still, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was...off.

"Are...we here?" he asked tentatively, wherever "here" might be. He figured from the absence of cats that he had woken up on the outskirts of StarClan's territory, and that Bluestar had come to lead him to the rest of their ancestors.

"We are," she responded, as emotionlessly as before, and finally turned to face him. "Welcome to your trial, Ashfur."

"Thank--Wait, what?" Ashfur gaped at her. "Trial? For what?" He had been expecting her to welcome him straight into StarClan. Was this something every cat had to face before they entered the realm of their ancestors? He once again felt that burning absence in his chest, where his heart should've skipped a beat.

"You will be judged by myself and several other cats to determine whether or not you are worthy to enter StarClan's hunting grounds," Bluestar elaborated, holding his gaze steadily. He suddenly felt very small in her presence, not unlike how he did on the day of his apprentice ceremony. But the nervous excitement he had felt back then was nothing compared to the fear he felt now. "Are you ready?" she asked.

Ashfur gulped, despite there being nothing to swallow. "Yes," he forced out. He wasn't, but he knew he didn't have a choice in the matter.

Just as the word left his mouth, he became aware of dozens of starry eyes looking directly at him, peeking through the grass and from high in the treetops and behind rocks and bushes. He suddenly felt very exposed, like a mouse out in the open with no where to hide from the watchful gazes of hungry hunters. This was supposed to be a safe place, a place where all good warriors went when they died to rest in peace. So why did he feel so uneasy?

"Very well." Bluestar sat down in front of Ashfur and curled her tail neatly around her paws, but even sitting down, she still seemed to tower over him. "Tell me, then, Ashfur...Why did you do it?"

The question caught Ashfur off guard. Perhaps it was because it was so vague and yet so uncomfortably straightforward at the same time. "Do...what?" His voice was little more than an innocent whisper as he cast confused glances to either side, as if looking for someone to tell him what he'd done. But however hard he may have wanted to convince himself and others that he was innocent, he knew all too well what he was being accused of.

"All of it," Bluestar meowed, tail tip twitching. She was obviously annoyed at having to spell it out for him. "You attempted to kill four of your Clanmates, innocent cats who had done nothing to you, in cold blood, all in an act of petty revenge."

Petty?! Ashfur thought indignantly, but he kept silent.

Bluestar continued. "You conspired with an enemy warrior to kill your leader, and succeeded in taking one of his lives. As for the other three, you trapped them in a fire and were all too eager to let them burn to death before your very eyes, and before their mother's, just because you wanted to see her hurt. You only let them go when you thought of a better way to hurt her." She paused, as if to let her words sink in, before continuing. "When you became a warrior, you promised to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life. Instead you have broken the code, perhaps the most important part of it, and endangered the lives of your Clanmates. What do you have to say for yourself?"

Bluestar's gaze burned deep into Ashfur as she waited for an answer, making his pelt prickle uncomfortably. "I...I..." He knew that everything the former ThunderClan leader said was true; he had done all of those things. But he had always expected StarClan to understand why he did them, and that everything he did was completely justified. If anyone could read the hearts and minds of the living, it had to be the spirits of the dead. It had never even occurred to him that he might one day have to defend his actions to the all-knowing, especially actions that were so obviously born out of heartbreak and betrayal.

"Why did you do it?" Bluestar hissed again suddenly, jolting Ashfur back to the present moment. By the look in the she-cat's eye, she was clearly already growing impatient with the tom's struggle to answer such a simple question, and Ashfur realized that he was overthinking it. Bluestar had made him second-guess himself and his motivations, as if they weren't enough to justify his actions in life, and for a moment he had wracked his brain in an attempt to come up with a new reason, one that would satisfy her--one that would satisfy StarClan. But Ashfur was an honest cat, true to himself and his heart till the very end, and that wasn't about to change now. It didn't matter what others thought. Besides, if he had to lie to get into StarClan, then did he really want to be there at all? He was sure that if he poured his heart out to his warrior ancestors, they would have to understand. If they didn't, then that would mean StarClan was founded on lies.

"Well?" Bluestar lashed her tail.

"Isn't it obvious?" Ashfur finally looked up from his paws, meeting Bluestar's gaze unflinchingly. There was only one reason why he could've ever done the things he did. And that reason...was her.

"I loved Squirrelflight. I loved her more than anything, more than I could stand." He paused, his eyes clouding as he relived the pain his love had caused him all over again. He had, for the first time in many moons, forgotten about Squirrelflight for just a moment--or perhaps not forgotten, but rather pushed her to the back of his mind as he tried to come to terms with his own death. It was strange, as she had always been at the forefront of his mind for what he only now realized was the better part of his life, and he had grown used to her being there, despite knowing she didn't deserve to be. Such a selfish, two-faced, dishonest she-cat didn't deserve to be thought about at all, much less the object of another's affection. She should be forgotten by everyone, never thought of, never spoken of again, Ashfur thought bitterly. That's what she deserves. And yet, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't deny the part of his heart that loved Squirrelflight--no, that revolved around her to the point of cracking and breaking.

"I loved her too much."

For a moment, Bluestar said nothing. She looked somewhat incredulous as she gazed back at Ashfur, as if she couldn't quite believe what she'd just heard, and he knew by her prolonged silence and the quizzical flick of her ears that she was silently questioning him...judging him. She was giving him a chance to reflect on his words, perhaps retract them and change them if he wanted. But he didn't. He held her gaze unblinkingly, as if daring her to challenge him aloud. She seemed to take the hint.

"Do you truly believe that?" she asked him at last.

Ashfur nodded solemnly. "With my whole heart."

"I see." Bluestar's voice was calm, but Ashfur saw loathing in her eyes. "Then you are even more deluded than I thought."

Those words sent a wave of fresh anger over Ashfur. It was all he could do not to lunge at the blue-gray she-cat. As if you're in any place to talk! You were the most deluded cat in ThunderClan when I was an apprentice! Your delusions caused about as much pain and suffering to the Clan as Squirrelflight did to me! These were the words he wanted to say, but he clamped his mouth shut. He had to tread carefully; where he spent the rest of his afterlife depended on it. "I can see how it might look that way," he conceded instead, trying to sound neutral. "But if you could only see what was inside my heart, who I really am..." He trailed off, trying to find words that would convince the she-cat.

"I'd see a cruel, jealous traitor," Bluestar finished for him, "a tom who felt so entitled to a she-cat's affections that when he didn't receive them, he betrayed his Clan and the warrior code to try and cause as much pain to that she-cat as possible, no matter the cost."

Ashfur could feel fury rising up in him, threatening to spill over.

"What exactly does attempting to kill four innocent cats have to do with love at all?" Bluestar continued. "Your Clanmates, one of whom was your leader. Even if you hadn't gone to the lengths you did, trying to punish someone for not reciprocating your feelings isn't love. In fact, Ashfur, I don't believe you even know what love is."

Ashfur had to sink his claws into the ground to prevent himself from raking them across Bluestar's face. He knew that even if he did, they most likely wouldn't have the same effect as they would have in the living world. What would you know about love? he wanted to ask. As far as he knew, Bluestar had never loved anybody, at least not as long as he was alive. Well, except for maybe Firestar. Every cat under Bluestar's leadership remembered the preferential treatment Firestar had received from her, especially following Tigerstar's exile, when he was one of the only cats in ThunderClan the leader trusted. The blue-gray she-cat had always had a soft spot for the flame-colored tom, and Ashfur doubted that had ever changed, even after she'd entered StarClan. Even so, Ashfur wouldn't have called that love. More like favoritism, or an obsession. He realized it was most likely this affinity Bluestar had for Firestar that made her so unforgiving towards his actions. Ashfur had, after all, only targeted members of the ThunderClan leader's family, as well as the ginger tom himself. It only made sense that Bluestar would hate Ashfur for ever laying a claw on her precious successor or his kin, no matter the reason. If it was any other cat, she wouldn't have given a rat's tail.

"That is my judgment," Bluestar declared at last when Ashfur remained silent. "Have you anything else to say to me in your defense?"

Oh, he had plenty to say, but he could see that trying to convince Bluestar, who was clearly just as crazy as she had been when she'd led ThunderClan all those moons ago, was a lost cause. He wondered why a cat who had hardly gotten to know him in life was now meant to judge him in death. She had been too preoccupied with Firestar and her delusions to form any sort of lasting bond with her other Clanmates, at least the ones born around the time of Firestar's arrival as Ashfur had been. She could never understand.

"No." The word was just short of a growl. "Not to you."

Bluestar nodded. "Very well. Perhaps your next judge will be more sympathetic." And with that, she walked away, blending back into the stars as seamlessly as she had arrived.

Author's notes:

In the canon books, Bluestar is, at best, indifferent to Ashfur's place in StarClan, and at worst, supportive of it. She tells Jayfeather that since Ashfur found his way to StarClan, that must be where he belongs, insinuating that the cats of StarClan themselves have no real say in who joins them and who doesn't (a bit odd considering Bluestar was rumored to have chased Thistleclaw out of StarClan and into the Dark Forest). This always seemed off to me, as Ashfur was not only a traitor to ThunderClan, but specifically targeted Firestar and his kin. Given Bluestar's past experiences with traitors and her vehemency towards them, as well as her love for Firestar, it made no sense to me that she would seemingly have no qualms about Ashfur being in StarClan. However, in Squirrelflight's Hope we are introduced to something we've never seen in a Warriors book before: StarClan trials! The cats of StarClan are seen judging the dead for their actions during life and deciding where they'll spend the rest of their afterlife, and furthermore, they seem to be rather harsh (and sometimes hypocritical) judges. It only made sense that Bluestar would be one of Ashfur's harshest judges. With all of that said, I have structured StarClan trials differently than how they are presented in canon. Instead of several StarClan warriors judging one cat at the same time, they each take turns talking to the cat in question. These trials are structured much more similarly to a leader's nine lives ceremony, and just as in the leadership ceremony, there will be nine cats in total forming their own judgments of Ashfur before ultimately deciding where he goes.
Cradily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Ashfur's Judgment - Chapter 2: The Mother's Judgment

Postby Cradily » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:43 am

Chapter 2: The Mother's Judgment

Ashfur felt relief wash over him as the former ThunderClan leader left, but annoyance still prickled beneath his pelt. This is a waste of my time, he thought, tail lashing impatiently behind him as he waited for his next "judge." If Bluestar's opinions reflected those of StarClan as a whole, then he could forget about ever making it into the starry grounds. The fact that she had been the first to greet him and start his trial seemed to indicate she had some sort of authority within StarClan, which made no sense to Ashfur given how she had misused and abused her gift of authority in life. If these were the kinds of cats that StarClan held in high esteem, then who would ever want to join them anyway? Tigerstar might as well judge me/

"Hello, Ashfur."

The soft, familiar voice caught Ashfur's attention, and all of his anger suddenly disappeared as he looked up.

"Brindle...face?" The name caught in his throat like an unchewed bit of prey.

There she was, the only she-cat he had ever loved more than Squirrelflight, standing right in front of him. She looked exactly as he remembered, yet so much more beautiful at the same time. Her pale gray fur, speckled with darker flecks, was now equally speckled with starlight; her emerald-green eyes were the brightest, most beautiful shade of green he'd ever seen, and he suddenly wondered if perhaps he had initially been drawn to Squirrelflight because her eyes had been so like his mother's. But in spite of how brilliantly they shone, they were clouded with an emotion that Ashfur couldn't quite pinpoint. Was it sadness? Disappointment? Love? Regret? Perhaps a combination of them all. Ashfur felt a sudden urge to run up to his mother; he longed to press his muzzle against hers, to let her lick the top of his head and comfort him the way she had all those moons ago when he was just a kit, but he stayed rooted to the spot. Something in Brindleface's eyes told him she wasn't as happy to see him as he was her.

"Oh, my son..." The pretty gray she-cat's voice was laced with sorrow. "What have you done?"

The words stung Ashfur like a wasp. Mothers always had a way of making their kits feel guilty, no matter how old they were, no matter how sure they were that they had done nothing wrong. For the first time, Ashfur was tempted to break down and beg for forgiveness, although for what, he wasn't sure. I did nothing wrong, he reminded himself. He had to stand his ground, even in front of his mother. "I told Bluestar already," he whispered back, hoping that Brindleface would hear the emotion in his tone and know he was sincere. "I loved too much." A cold-hearted she-cat like Bluestar could never understand the sensitive heart of a tom, but he was sure if any cat could, it would be his mother.

But to his horror, Brindleface shook her head. "If that is how I taught you to love, then I have failed you as a mother."

"No!" Ashfur argued immediately. "You ha--" But Brindleface raised her tail to silence him before continuing.

"Ashfur, when I woke up in Starclan, I mourned. Not because of the loss of my own life, but because I could no longer be in yours, Fernpaw's, and Cloudpaw's. I never regretted leaving my own life behind, as much as I did leaving yours. I wanted to be there with you every step of the way, to guide you." She took a deep breath, as if to to compose herself. "But I was grateful, at least, that you had all gone on living. Now, I'm not so sure you should have."

The words cut straight through Ashfur, like Hollyleaf's fangs through his throat all over again. Was Brindleface really saying he would have been better off dead? "Why would you..." He trailed off.

"I love you, Ashfur, and I always have," Brindleface went on, her tone softening ever so slightly. "I never stopped loving you, even as I watched you go down a darker and darker path. I always hoped that one day, you would remember me, remember my love for you, remember what real love is, and turn back from that path...but you never did."

Ashfur's ears lay flat against his head. "That's not true!" he replied indignantly, sounding like a kit on the verge of tears. "How can you tell me I don't know what love is, when it's the very thing that ruined my life?"

"Then tell me, my son, what is love?" Brindleface wrapped her tail around her paws and looked expectantly at her son.

Ashfur froze up. What is love? The questioned echoed in his mind. How could he be asked to define such a thing?

Brindleface tilted her head, calmly waiting for an answer.

"It's...too complex for words," Ashfur forced out at last. "I think love is different for everyone. My idea of love might be different from yours." He could've sworn he saw sad amusement flicker in Brindleface's eyes, just for a brief second, before she responded.

"Well, you're right about one thing. Your idea of love is very different." She suddenly sounded very tired. "Love is not as complicated as you make it out to be, Ashfur. It's patient and kind; selfless. It's not jealous or proud, hateful or vengeful. Love, real love, wills the good of the other, no matter what." Her gaze burned into his pelt. "Can you say that you did that for Squirrelflight?"

Ashfur stared back at his mother, at a loss for words. It was clear that Brindleface had a very simplified, innocent view of love. Ashfur himself had once held a similar view, when he was young and naive. It was only after Squirrelflight had broken his heart that he began to truly understand just how complex, nuanced, and painful love really was, how it could drive one to do things they might never even think to do otherwise. How could he hope to explain such a thing to someone who had never experienced it?

As if she had read his mind, Brindleface added, "Every cat, at one point or another, will experience pain when they love. That's just a part of life. It's what they do what that pain that determines what kind of cat they are." She glanced away, a wistful look in her eyes. "Haven't you ever wondered about your father?"

The question took Ashfur by surprise. He and Ferncloud had never known who their father was, although he remembered his Clanmates gossiping and guessing who it might be when they were kits. Some thought it was Whitestorm; others Runningwind; still others a cat from another Clan or outside the Clans completely. Brindleface had never talked about him, and it had never occurred to Ashfur to ask when she was alive. Now, he felt embarrassed as he realized that Brindleface had most likely experienced heartbreak as well, and was gently chastising him for assuming that she hadn't.

"I'm sorry," he murmured at last, unsure what else to say.

But Brindleface shook her head, as if rejecting his words. "I'm not the one you owe an apology to," she pointed out. "You say sorry because you have let me down, and indeed you have--but are you sorry for what you've done? Are you sorry to the cats you've hurt?" She fixed him with that stern, motherly gaze he hadn't seen in so long. "Are you sorry to Squirrelflight?"

Ashfur opened his mouth to remind Brindleface that Squirrelflight was the one who had hurt him first, but the tabby she-cat held up her tail to silence him. "You don't have to answer right now," she told him. "But I want you to think about what I've said, and what you've done. Can you do that for me?" Her emerald-green eyes almost looked pleading.

Ashfur stared back at her for a moment, then nodded.

"Good," his mother meowed, and then turned to walk away without another word.

"Wait!" Ashfur called after her. But she was already gone, having faded away just as Bluestar had.

Author's notes:

I always thought it a shame how, in the canon Warriors books, we hardly ever get to see how parents react to their children becoming villains. We never see Quince's reaction to Scourge, or Leopardfoot's reaction to Tigerstar, or Brindleface's reaction to Ashfur. In my opinion, Brindleface is one of the only cats who could ever even make Ashfur consider the idea that he did something wrong. Why she never appeared in The Broken Code, I have no idea, as that would have been a great opportunity for lots of interesting conversations between her and her son, as well as to see how undoubtedly disappointed she was in him. But I suppose that's where fanfictions come in, to take advantage of those missed opportunities. As Ashfur's mother, Brindleface has a bigger role than most to play in this story, so this won't be the last we see of her!
Cradily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Ashfur's Judgment - Chapter 3: The Warrior's Judgment

Postby Cradily » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:21 am

Chapter 3: The Warrior's Judgment

Ashfur felt a pang in his heart as he watched his mother walk away and fade back into the stars. There was so much more he wanted to talk to her about--just not around the other StarClan cats, whose gazes he could feel burning into his pelt. It was hard to tell which specks of light coming from the bushes and treetops were stars and which ones were eyes, watching him as closely as they would prey that they meant to catch.

Now more aware of his surroundings, Ashfur was hardly surprised when he made out a pair of pale amber eyes gleaming at him from a shrub up ahead. What did surprise him was how quickly he recognized who the eyes belonged to, long before the black-and-white tom stepped out of the undergrowth.

"Hey, Ashfur," the tom greeted him nonchalantly, as if he had seen him only yesterday.

"Hey, Swiftpaw," Ashfur responded, trying to sound as casual as his former denmate, although secretly he was shocked by how...young Swiftpaw looked. He hadn't remembered him looking that young the last time he'd seen him.

"It's Swiftfoot, actually," the tom corrected him. "I'm a warrior now."

"Oh." Ashfur nodded, silently berating himself for not knowing better. Of course StarClan would've given Swiftpaw his warrior name. "Swiftfoot. That suits you." It was the name the black-and-white tom should've been given during life, Ashfur thought, but it was only in saying the name out loud that he realized why his old friend looked so young to him. Everyone seemed to look a bit younger in StarClan than they had in life, true, but Swiftfoot hadn't died old. Just old for an apprentice. It was the apprentice name on the clearly grown tom, he realized, that had made Swiftpaw seem older than he was. Now, Swiftfoot looked like the bright young warrior he was always meant to be, and would've been had it not been for Bluestar holding him and the others back. Ashfur found himself growing angry at the thought of the blue-gray she-cat all over again. How could she judge him when her own actions had caused more death than his?

"Yeah, it does," Swiftfoot agreed, bringing Ashfur back to the present. He shuffled his paws, as if unsure how to continue, before he spoke again. "Look, I'd love to catch up, but you know that's not why I'm here. You did some pretty messed up things."

By this point, Ashfur was beginning to lose hope that any StarClan judge would be on his side. If his own mother wasn't, then who would be? Then again, Swiftfoot was a tom like Ashfur; perhaps there was a more understanding side to him, and Ashfur just had to find it.

"Maybe I did," he conceded. "But it was all out of love...heartbreak. I don't expect you to understand, but--"

"Make no mistake, Ashfur," Swiftfoot interrupted. "I may have died young, but that doesn't mean I never loved." His pale amber eyes looked cloudy for a moment. "Or that I never felt pain because of it."

Ashfur's ears pricked with interest. He must be talking about Brightheart. The two apprentices had always seemed closer than others, but after Swiftfoot's death, Brightheart, cruelly named Lostface by Bluestar, had grown closer to another tom: Cloudtail, the only cat that Bluestar had made a warrior at the time and the cat that Swiftfoot had resented so much during life because of it.

"I'm sorry." He blinked sympathetically at the black-and-white tom. "I know it must be hard, watching another tom steal the cat you love right out from under you. Especially him." Even though Cloudtail was Ashfur's adoptive brother, he understood why Swiftfoot would be angry at him. Cloudtail had gotten everything that Swiftfoot ever wanted.

But Swiftfoot gave him a confused look. "What are you talking about?" he asked.

"You were in love with Brightheart, weren't you?" Ashfur didn't wait for a reply before continuing. "But she became mates with Cloudtail after you joined StarClan. First he gets the rank you want, then the she-cat you love. It can't have been easy for you."

But to Ashfur's surprise, Swiftfoot let out a mrrow of laughter, catching him off guard. "No, Ashfur, you've got it all wrong."

Ashfur's ears flattened in embarrassment. Perhaps he didn't know Swiftfoot as well as he once had, or at least as much as he thought he did. "So...you never loved Brightheart, then?"

"I didn't say that," Swiftfoot mewed. "But there's more than one type of love, you know. I loved Brightheart dearly as a friend, and if I had lived longer...well, who knows what would have happened?" He looked off into the distance, as if imagining a future that would never be. "But I got her hurt," he continued, his voice little more than a whisper. "She was my best friend, and because of my rash decision, she was scarred for life--inside and out. It's bad enough that she was injured so terribly. But then she had to watch me die, and live with the guilt of having survived when I didn't; she relived that day every time she closed her eyes--" He cut off, then, with gritted teeth, corrected himself. "Her eye. Can you imagine the nightmares she suffered? How traumatized she must have been?"

Even if Ashfur knew what to say in that moment, Swiftfoot wouldn't have let him get a word in edgewise. "And she's not the only one I hurt. My mother had to bury her son. My mentor had to bury his apprentice. They were already going through enough after Tigerstar betrayed us."

Ashfur nodded in understanding. Tigerstar's betrayal had shaken all of ThunderClan, but in particular he had been Goldenflower's mate and Longtail's friend and role model. It couldn't have been easy for the two cats to handle Swiftfoot's death so soon after the former ThunderClan deputy's treachery--and as a result of it.

"That is why I feel pain, Ashfur," Swiftfoot continued. "Because I hurt my loved ones, not because they hurt me. And for what? All because I was angry and envious and didn't get what I wanted. Kind of like you."

Ashfur flinched under Swiftfoot's disapproving glare. He doubted that any cat's words would hurt as much as his mother's, but even so, Swiftfoot had been his friend; they had grown up together, even if they hadn't been able to become warriors together. Ashfur had expected the amber-eyed warrior to be more understanding of his friend's plight.

"But you had every right to be angry," Ashfur argued. "You worked just as hard as Cloudtail to become a warrior."

"We all did," Swiftfoot agreed. "But we all knew that working hard wasn't what it was about at that time."

"It should've been," Ashfur snorted.

"But it wasn't," Swiftfoot responded sternly, with a lash of his tail as if to silence Ashfur. "And I knew that back then as well as I do now. ThunderClan fell on hard times."

And Bluestar decided to only think about herself and make things harder for everyone else, Ashfur added in his mind, but held his tongue.

"You, the other apprentices, and I were all in the same soggy nest," Swiftfoot went on. "But I took things personally. I may have had reason to be angry, but I let that anger cloud my judgment. I told myself that what I was doing was for the good of my Clan--out of love for them, even. But it wasn't love, Ashfur. It was a sense of entitlement. It was a need to prove myself. It was pride and envy that consumed me, and because of that I made a terrible decision that ended my life and scarred my best friend's." He took a deep breath, and Ashfur took this opportunity to speak at last.

"I think you're being too hard on yourself, Swiftfoot," he started softly. Even though this was his trial, he felt as if Swiftfoot was judging his own actions--rather harshly at that--more than he was Ashfur's. And Ashfur welcomed the distraction. "Sure, you made a mistake. But even if part of what you did was to prove yourself, I think you really did have the Clan's best interests at heart. And you felt entitled to your warrior name because you were entitled to it. We all were. We all worked hard, like you said, and we did nothing to be held back. It was Bluestar who stole what was rightfully ours, what we had spent moons working up towards. She treated us like traitors when we had only ever trained to protect and provide for ThunderClan. Any cat's judgment would've been clouded at being treated so unfairly."

Swiftfoot lowered his gaze and was silent for a moment, and Ashfur held his breath as he awaited the StarClan warrior's response. He expected to see some sort of conflict of emotions in the black-and-white tom's face, but when the starry warrior looked back up, Ashfur saw only clarity in the amber eyes that met his own. It was so clear, in fact, that Ashfur could've sworn he saw his reflection staring back at him.

"I appreciate you trying to defend my actions," Swiftfoot meowed solemnly. "But I'm afraid I can't do the same for yours."

Ashfur felt a sinking feeling deep in his chest.

"Perhaps I judge myself so harshly because I still think highly of myself, in part. I guess I'm still prideful, even in death, huh?" Swiftfoot chuckled to himself. "But don't think for a second that I would judge you any less harshly than I judge myself."

Ashfur's claws sank into the earth. He had been a fool to think that Swiftfoot would understand.

"I compared our actions in life to prove a point," the black-and-white tom explained. "To make you see that you will always have to face the consequences of your actions, sooner or later. And when you finally do face them, you will be forced to live with them for the rest of your life. It doesn't matter why you acted the way you did, how upset or angry you were, or whether you meant harm or not--but for that matter, you did mean harm, Ashfur. And for that, rest assured that you will be judged far more severely than even I judge myself."

Ashfur had closed his eyes, refusing to meet Swiftfoot's gaze as his former friend tore into him, as mercilessly as the dogs that had killed him. It was only when he heard the sound of pawsteps, fading farther and farther away until they stopped altogether, that he knew Swiftfoot was gone.

Author's notes:

I'm still waiting for the day when Swiftpaw receives his warrior name from StarClan in the canon books. Maybe in a future novella? I can only hope. We've seen cats who died before receiving their warrior names in life be given them in StarClan (or, in Ravenpaw's case, at least offered them), but for some reason poor Swiftpaw seemed entirely forgotten about! I think that there are several names that would have been a good fit for him, but I decided to go with Swiftfoot because I imagined he must have been quite fast in order to last as long as he did in his fight with the dogs. Despite initially urging the other apprentices (Ashpaw included) to go along with him and Brightpaw to find the dogs, I know Swiftfoot--then Swiftpaw--would have been grateful that the others didn't join in once he realized the true danger of the situation. At least his former denmates would get to go on living. But seeing Ashfur go down such a dark path and waste his life away, a life that Swiftfoot never got to have, must have been incredibly saddening and frustrating for the StarClan warrior to see. This is why I believe Swiftfoot would have little leniency when it comes to judging Ashfur.
Cradily

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me