[ `` northreach ─ ] [ archives - dnp ]

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Postby solyn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:58 pm

███████████████████████████████████████████████████
create a clan ; groveclan | create a kennel ; the last sentinels

this is the archive for my pack, northreach, for the forum game create a pack.
          please do not post here as it is for my use only, however if you have questions
          about the game or my pack feel free to message me! c:
solyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

[ `` northreach ─ ] [ introduction ]

Postby solyn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:00 pm

𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇
      the wind howls and whips around ears aching with cold, snow settles on muzzles and drowns out the calls. in the north, the land stretches forward to touch the ocean, to touch the sky, to touch the lights that dance across it with hushed laughter. the wolves that live here know life is not easy, but it is worth it: worth it to see their ancestors sprint across star-lit skies, worth it to see the way they reflect in the bright stones lining cave walls and worth it in the way that snow flies as they run in formation. the wolves here are isolated: far away from almost everything and everyone else, but as long as they have each other, the pack knows it will be okay.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐒
      the wolves of northreach tend to be quite large and stocky, with thicker coats to help them survive in a brutal environment. due to the fact that the terrain is snowy year round, grey and white pelts are more common, while black pelts are a little rarer to find among the pack. these wolves are friendly and excitable, very willing to make friends and to share their knowledge. they believe in harmony and balance, and can become quickly estranged from those that they feel are trying to upset the natural order of the world. northreach wolves have a natural curiosity and a lot of energy, however they tend to have closer and more intimate bonds than a lot of other packs, and can come off as having a disregard for personal space. these wolves are deeply in touch with their emotions and they feel very strongly. loyalty and friendship is very important to them, although some could say that they are too quick to trust.

the pack of northreach is structured relatively simply. the only high ranks are that of the alpha and the beta pair. these ranks are not succeeded by bloodline. when the alpha steps down, the beta will take their place. a new beta will then be elected, as per northreach tradition. the pack also has a healer, and then two subordinate divisions: hunters and protectors. hunters are primarily in charge of collecting food for the pack, while protectors are in charge of making sure the pack stays safe from harm. northreach wolves are trained in both skills and sometimes cross disciplines if numbers are low or if there is more need for one as opposed to the other. mothers are referred to as life-bringers, and any wolf who is too old for duties retires to become a consul, a council of elders who give their opinion on any decisions that the alpha and beta need to make.

𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘
      northreach's territory is notoriously harsh. a lot of it is open, flat ground, with a mountain range flanking the territory in the north and west, and taiga (coniferous, snowy forest) toward the south. the east border is a strait that freezes over in the winter time, creating a land bridge that make caribou frequent in the territory during colder months as they try to cross the frozen strait. the pack's camp is in a basin in the north-west of the territory, accessible only by a series of caves on the cliff face next to a waterfall that leads into the sheltered area. on patrols, the wolves may not return for several days or weeks, however the camp is a permanent and safe home to life-bringers and their pups, as well as consuls who cannot make such long and arduous journeys anymore. over the west mountains is a human town, and occasionally the wolves of northreach come into contact with humans and their dogs as a pass in the mountain allows for dog sled teams to cut through northreach territory to reach another human town beyond the south.

while northreach wolves are not inherently antagonistic toward humans, they still face threat from them if they get too close while they are passing through the territory. mostly, they need to be more careful of the bears that occasionally appear in the taiga, and more commonly the wolverines who do not take well to competition. northreach wolves primarily hunt caribou, elk and deer who are plentiful in their territory year round, however they also have access to fish in the many rivers throughout the territory, as well as hares and the occasional beaver if they head far enough south.

𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒
      the wolves of northreach democratically elect their beta. when the old beta dies, retires or is promoted, a new one must be appointed before the next full moon rises. the alpha will select the three candidates that they believe are best, and will promote their choices to the rest of the pack. the pack will then take a pebble each, and place them in one pile of three depending on which candidate they felt the most compelled by. the one who has the most pebbles will become the new beta.

to become a fully realized member of the pack, trainees must pass a physical assessment, wherein they must travel to the cave of bright-stones, beyond the north border of the pack, where they will convene with the spirits and return in a week's time with a crystal that the ancestors will have pointed them to. the old spirits will bless the alpha with the knowledge to confirm whether the trainee's path has been true, and if they are found to have completed their journey properly, they will be accepted into their rank of choice.

northreach wolves often have 'godparents' to their pups, who are asked to choose the name of their second born. if anything happens to the parents, these godparents have created a tie to the pups, and will be responsible for their care. godparents are usually close friends or possibly family members of the pup's parents. if a family has only one pup, this pup may have two names so that the bond may still be created.

northreach wolves are very in tune with their ancestors, and with the world around them. when alphas and healers wish to convene with the spirits, they can go to either light-touch, or the cave of bright-stones. both places have strong spiritual connections to their ancestors, although the cave of bright-stones is used more often by healers as they like to collect crystals to help healing energies within the pack. hunters often befriend birds in the area, and enlist their help with searching for prey.

solyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby solyn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm

[ updated: 17 december 2018 ] [ 01 females & 00 males ] [ 01 wolves total ]

` alpha pair
      metieta | 37 moons | ♀ |

` beta pair
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` healer
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` hunters
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` protectors
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` trainees
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` life-bringers & pups
      name | age | ♂/♀ |

` consuls
      name | age | ♂/♀ |
relationships wrote:to be added

mentors & trainees wrote:to be added

former packs wrote:to be added

𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐄𝐃 𝐏𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐒
    • name | age | ♂/♀ | cause of death | residence |
solyn

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

[ `` northreach ─ ] [ 001 ]

Postby solyn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:03 am

𝐍𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐇.
population: 01 wolves [ 01 fem : 00 male ]
servings required: 02
moderator: noctem

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐠𝐨.
    Follow the lights. Metieta's paws burned and her lungs ached as she surged forward, tired body crossing the barren snowy land, toward the looming mountain in front of her. She dared not look back, dared not search frantically for the eyes that had followed her, the guttural snarls and the foaming mouths that had turned the wolves she had once called friends. She was beyond that now, her only safe haven a place from stories.
    Long ago, her mother said to her with a lilting laugh, there were wolves in the far-off, beyond the mountains where the light of the heavens reached down to kiss the earth and dance across the mountaintops with dainty steps. It is here and only here that you can feel at peace, for it is a homeland: a piece of you that never leaves. I have it, my mother had it, and her mother before her, as far back as it goes until our ancestor who left the North. If you are ever lost, Metieta, the homeland will show you the way.
    Rocks cut and sliced at her paws as she hauled herself up through the craggy rocks, grunting with the effort that it took on her tired and strained muscles. Around her, the wind howled, buffeting her fur and pressing her closer to the rocky sheers that rose around either side of her. And then, a saving grace. Metieta spotted a passage, and she dove toward it, curling up between the cliffs as the storm raged around her. Snow blanketed her grey pelt, burying her amongst the landscape as she fell into a deep and restless sleep.

When she awoke, things were quiet. Carefully, she dug her way out of the snow, shaking the last of it out of her pelt as she surged to her feet. The sun shone overhead. The mountains were silent. Metieta's ears swiveled, searching for sound, before she heaved a sigh, and took the first step forward.
    It took the better part of the day to reach the other end of the path. Metieta's stomach growled insistently, but she shoved away any consideration of it. She had better things to do than lament her hunger right now. She needed to know she was safe and far away from the faces that chased her. She had run fast and she had tried to cover her tracks, but she got the gnawing feeling in the pit of her stomach that it somehow wasn't enough. Then again, perhaps that was just the hunger.
    Metieta gazed out over the territory in front of her. Somewhere in the distance, she heard the chirp of birds. There was a lush boreal forest, water and somewhere far below she could see a basin, almost easy to miss, half-sheltered by a large underhang. Metieta took a step forward, cautious with the ground underfoot. The snow obscured the safe places to step on the rocky crags, and almost instantly, she drew her paw back, frowning at the ground. It would be impossible to get down.
    "You made it after all," a voice said to her right, startling her so horridly that she jumped with a yelp, swinging her head to spot only a raven, perched higher up the rock than she herself. She blinked, shaking her head, before she turned back to the problem at hand. Her paw reached out, and she heard the voice again, this time with an amused lilt. "For a while there, it seemed like you wouldn't." She paused, turning to glare at the raven again. The bird watched her, expression imperceptible.
    "Are you daft, or have you just never heard a bird speak before?" Metieta balked, staring in wide-eyed shock as the bird let out a cackling laugh, preening its feathers. "Oh, so it's the latter then."
    "I'm seeing things," Metieta muttered to herself, shaking her head. She placed her paws down, one at a time, to take the first tentative steps toward the basin she had spotted. There it would be sheltered, and there she could return to after she'd caught something to eat. She heard the bird's cackling laughter continue, the bright voice ringing out around the mountains as it called after her retreating form:
    "Welcome home, Metieta of Northreach."

𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧.
    The territory was bright in the spring. Metieta sniffed at a dandelion, sneezing as the fairy-like seeds sprung away from the core, drifting around her in a cloud. A flutter of wings overhead alerted her to the ever-present raven that had followed her around for the last moon. Metieta rolled her eyes, ignoring the black bird as it hopped around the branch of a fir tree high over her head. At least it had stopped trying to speak to her, although Metieta wasn't fully convinced that the words she'd heard weren't the subject of a hallucination.
    She continued on through the territory, through the meadow of buttercups and down to the stream, where she lapped at the water languidly. Something snapped on the other side of the river, and she looked up, seeing a herd of deer come to the bank. They watched her with large eyes, before they deemed her inconsequential. As the stag lowered his head, so to did Metieta, the herd and the wolf drinking in silent solidarity. They passed soon after, leaving her alone again.
    "It comes off you like waves, you know," said the bird overhead. Metieta gritted her teeth.
    "You're not real," she snapped, mostly to convince herself more than to convince anyone else. The bird cackled in that way it was so prone to, and she shook her head. She wasn't hungry- small prey had been easy to catch and there was plenty of water. It was stress, she reasoned, stress that made her hear these things.
    "It would be easier for you to adjust if you would just accept," the bird said, "after all, you seemed fine accepting stories about a far-off homeland that would act as your North Star." Metieta whipped around, turning to face the bird where it perched on a large rock, seemingly unbothered by being the target of her ire. The she-wolf tamped her burning fury at the mention of such a sentimental memory, forcing herself to think logically.
    "How do you know about that?" She asked.
    "Because I am your guide," the raven said, "and I've been waiting for you to start asking the right questions."
    "Guide? What guide?" The bird huffed, seemingly annoyed with Metieta's apparent density. The she-wolf approached the rock, gaze purely curious now. Perhaps it was madness to give into a hallucination, to entertain these wild thoughts. Surely the bird could not actually speak, but something about their tone seemed... genuine. Metieta was sure that not even her stress-frazzled mind could make up something this bizarre.
    "If you hadn't noticed, Metieta of Northreach, you made it to the homeland," the raven swung its wing, encompassing the territory, "it has been a long time since wolves have been here, but the rest of us have not forgotten, much like you have not. We pass stories from beak to beak, from maw to maw, whispering of the time that beckons where things will be as they once were. And in those times, wolves and ravens were friends, and sometimes the crows too. We're carrion birds, you see, and so it was beneficial of us to guide you to prey-"
    "You're here to help me hunt?" The glare of the raven made Metieta shut her jaw again.
    "Some of us are, yes. But I have a much more important journey, revealed to me by the lights that kiss the earth," the raven turned to gesture to the tallest peak in the range, which Metieta noted from this angle seemed to have a flat top among the jagged stones, pointing skyward like they intended to impale the belly of the sky-god. Metieta turned to face the raven, curiosity glittering brightly behind her eyes.
    "And what journey would that be?"
    "I'm supposed to guide you toward restoring Northreach," the bird answered, "our souls were linked from birth, and my purpose is to see you build this pack to what it once was, to create the homeland your mother told you of, to guide you on the path your paws should take to ensure greatness."
    "And what is your name?"
    "Hugin," said the bird, the word hitting Metieta like a burst damn. Memories seemed to flood over her then, memories that weren't her own: wolves long ago howling from the mountains, eyes turned upward to the sky to see a black shape leading them on, pups laughing and playing in the basin that Metieta had been camping in, caribou crossing the sea to the north. Metieta snapped back, stumbling, as the bird shook their head.
    "That's never happened before," they muttered, glancing at Metieta, "I suppose that's what they call a connection."
    "Maybe," the she-wolf panted, suddenly exhausted by her palpable confusion, "I think we have some things to figure out, Hugin."
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

` servings consumed
0/2 - stockpiling
` pack events
metieta patrols the borders
metieta hunts

` alpha pair
    metieta | 37 moons | ♀ |

` beta pair
    name | age | ♂/♀ |

` healer
    name | age | ♂/♀ |