Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Postby AstroCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Stories from the Clan of the Woods
Level: 4 Cats: 12/15

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Timeline

-A former housecat named Kaiser settles the woods outside of the city.

-Kaiser dies in a battle, leaving the Clan to his daughter. She decides to take the name Kaiser, honoring her father and beginning the tradition of leaders being known as the Kaiser.
-Smokefur becomes Smokestar, the new Kaiser.

-Badgerkit and Bearkit are born

-Badgerpaw runs away from the Clan and meets Wolf

-Mudkit is born

-Adderkit is born

-Mudkit becomes Mudpaw, the Bishop's apprentice

-Adderkit becomes Adderpaw, is apprenticed to Webstripe

-The Great Sickness begins

-The majority of the Clan dies from an unknown illness

-Badgerpaw is given the name Monoheart from Wolf, who then passes away from old age

-Monoheart returns to the Clan

-Mudpaw dies while retrieving an herb for a sick elder

-Adderpaw is given his warrior name, Adderstripe

-Smokestar steps down and appoints Monoheart as the Kaiser, returning to his warrior name Smokefur

-Monoheart becomes Monostar

Last edited by AstroCat on Fri May 24, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Postby AstroCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm

res for monostar's history
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

promises (adderstripe/mudpaw)

Postby AstroCat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Adderstripe and Mudpaw(NPC)
Adderpaw settled down in his new nest, thrilled that he was finally an apprentice. His paws ached after exploring the territory with his mentor, but he still felt full of energy. He forced his eyes closed, hoping sleep would come to him soon. Just before he drifted off, the entrance to the den rustled, startling Adderpaw awake.

"Hey, Adderkit!"

Adderpaw looked up to see Mudpaw standing above him. The Bishop's apprentice had been Adderpaw's best friend ever since he had to spend a moon in the healer's den after a bout of sickness when he was younger.

"You know I'm Adderpaw now!" he said, playfully rolling on his back and batting at the older apprentice.

"Are you sure? You're acting a lot like a kit right now," Mudpaw teased, halfheartedly swiping back at him.

"You say that like you didn't cheer my name the loudest," Adderpaw retorted, sitting up in his nest.

"Whatever," Mudpaw rolled his eyes. "So, are you going to tell me about your day or what?"

****four moons later****

Adderpaw padded beside Mudpaw as the two followed Adderpaw's mentor, Webstripe, toward Hawk's Point, the towering rock formation that was home to an herb that the Bishop desperately needed. They were looking for a certain type of red flower that would cure the sickness one of the elders, Daisyfur, had come down with. The sun had already disappeared under the horizon before the rain had stopped. Clouds still lurked in the sky, covering the moon and the stars.

"Remember to be very careful, the rocks will be slick after all the rain." Webstripe meowed, glancing back at the two apprentices to be sure they were listening.

"Yeah, we get it," Adderpaw muttered under his breath. "You've only said that five times now."

"What was that?" Webstripe asked, angling his ears towards the apprentices. The older warrior seemed to have trouble hearing many things nowadays, much to Adderpaw's advantage.

"Be nice!" Mudpaw whispered as he bumped his shoulder into Adderpaw's, whiskers twitching in amusement. "He said we'll be extra careful, Webstripe."

Webstripe nodded, continuing on. Soon the small patrol reached Hawk's Point and slowly climbed up the side of the rock. Mudpaw stopped them when they were about halfway up, glancing around. "There should be a patch growing on the ledge over here," he said, signaling with his tail for the other two to wait where they were. Mudpaw crept forward slowly along a narrow pathway towards the ledge, then lashed his tail in frustration. "The rain must have washed the red flowers away." Mudpaw returned to the group, glancing up at the peak of Hawk's Point. "We'll have to go up there. It's the only other place the flowers grow."

Webstripe anxiously watched the two apprentices climb up to the top of Hawk's Point. The older warrior had begun to struggle to catch his breath while climbing and had been ordered by Mudpaw to stay put before he overexerted himself. The two apprentices disappeared from sight as they climbed up to the top of the rock.

"Ugh, it's really muddy up here," Adderpaw complained as they reached the top. "You must feel right at home, Mudpaw."

"Shut up!" Mudpaw laughed, then shook his head. "Okay, focus on the mission. There!" Mudpaw flicked his tail towards a small patch of red flowers barely visible under the mud, ominously close to the edge of the peak. "Wait here, I'll get them."

Before Adderpaw could stop him, Mudpaw began to make his way forward. "Mudpaw, wait-"

Adderpaw's heart stopped as he watched Mudpaw lose his grip and slip towards the edge of the rock. The apprentice struggled to regain his footing, but only managed to slip further away.

"Stop, don't move!" Adderpaw shouted. Terror was etched on Mudpaw's face as he stopped moving and looked over at Adderpaw.

"No, I have to get the flowers, Daisyfur will die without them!"

"Mudpaw, please! It's too dangerous, just come back to me," Adderpaw pleaded as Mudpaw steadied himself and stubbornly made his way towards the flowers.

"It's okay, I-"
Adderpaw could only watch as Mudpaw slipped and disappeared over the edge of the peak. Adderpaw remained frozen for a few heartbeats, staring at the spot where Mudpaw had fallen. Webstripe's voice brought him back to reality as the warrior shouted up to him. "Did you find the flowers?"

"Mudpaw, he fell! We have to find him!" Adderpaw raced back to his mentor recklessly, slipping and crashing into the old tom and knocking him down.

"Oh Spirits, no," Webstripe whispered a small prayer under his breath. "Let's check the ledge, he could have landed down there."

Adderpaw raced down, ignoring Webstripe shouting after him to be careful. He reached the side and braced himself. His heart pounding, Adderpaw looked down, hoping to see his friend's bright eyes peering back up at him, but there was nothing in the darkness. He inhaled a shaky breath as he stepped back, his mind trying to process what had happened. Mudpaw was gone, there was no way he could have survived the fall.

"Adderpaw! Did you see him?" Webstripe had finally caught up to him; the old tom gasped for breath as he approached.

Adderpaw could only shake his head before pushing past Webstripe and making his way down the rock face. Small raindrops began to fall from the clouds that covered the moon and stars, as though they were weeping along with Adderpaw.

***three moons later***

"Adderstripe!" "Adderstripe!"

Adderstripe glanced up at the sky as the Clan cheered his new warrior name. He wondered if Mudpaw was up there among the stars, cheering for him as well.

The next day, Adderstripe curled into his next, exhausted after keeping vigil that night. He closed his eyes, letting sleep overtake him. When he opened his eyes, he seemed to be in the middle of the forest, but as he looked closer, the ground and the trees shimmered with stardust.

"Hey, Adderpaw!"

Adderstripe froze as he heard Mudpaw's voice behind him. He turned to see his old friend, looking as cheerful and bright as Adderstripe remembered. Mudpaw padded up to him, smiling brightly. Adderstripe couldn't help the grin that spread across his muzzle.

"You know I'm Adderstripe now."

"I know. I cheered for you the loudest." Mudpaw said, then looked down, the joy vanishing from his expression. "Adderstripe, please don’t be mad about what I'm going to say."

"What are you talking about?"

"The Bishop, Willowfur, she...isn't well. I’m afraid she only has a few moons before she joins the Spirits." Mudpaw said sadly. "And since I died, she has no replacement. The Clan is in danger of having no healer."

"But why are you telling me?" Adderstripe asked, though in the back of his mind he had already figured out what Mudpaw was going to say.

"I know you always wanted to be a warrior, and someday even a leader," Mudpaw began timidly. "So I know you're going to be upset when I say this. Adderstripe, I want you to become the Bishop when Willowfur dies."

"But why me?" Adderstripe challenged, the fur on his back bristling in anger. "Why not any of the other cats? I want to be a warrior!"

"They would say the same thing!" Mudpaw replied in exasperation. "Don't you think they all want to be warriors too?"

"Of course they do!" Adderstripe shot back. "Why should any of us be forced to be something we don't want to be?"

"Not all of us get to choose our fate," Mudpaw said bitterly, casting his gaze aside for a moment. "Do you think I wanted to die?"

"No! I'm sorry, Mudpaw, you didn't deserve that."

"I know that. I also know that you were my best friend, Adderstripe. I'm asking you to do this for me. Please." Mudpaw met Adderstripe's gaze, his eyes clouded with emotion. "Please become the Bishop's apprentice."

Adderstripe took a deep breath, knowing that his life would never be the same. He would never be a warrior or a leader like he always dreamed of. He had to do this, for the Clan. And for his best friend. "Okay. Fine, I'll do it. For you."

"Thank you, Adderstripe, you have no idea how much this means to me," Mudpaw breathed a sigh of relief. "I'll be with you, every pawstep of the way."

"Promise?"

"Promise."
Last edited by AstroCat on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Monoheart's Return

Postby AstroCat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 am

(Monoheart(star), Smokestar (NPC), Adderpaw(stripe))

Monoheart sat near the entrance to the Kaiser's den, his heart pounding with anxiety. Smokestar had let him rejoin the Clan, but would his clanmates accept him after he had run away all those moons ago? He glanced around the camp with a pang of sadness. It used to be so busy and bustling with life, but now it was nearly empty and deafeningly silent. The Great Sickness had claimed the life of almost every cat he had ever known. His father, his mentor, and almost all the cats he grew up with were gone.

"Are you ready, Badger- er, Monoheart?" Smokestar emerged from his den, his Second trailing behind him and eyeing Monoheart warily.

"Yes, Smokestar, I'm ready," Monoheart replied as he rose to his paws to follow Smokestar to the top of his den, where he would stand to address the Clan. Doubt was still gnawing at his mind as Smokestar called a clan meeting. He shook his head, trying to calm the racing thoughts in his mind. There's no going back now, this is where I belong. I have to be strong and face the consequences of my actions. Monoheart took a deep breath and raised his head as he watched the remaining cats slowly spill out of their dens and into the center of camp.

There were a few cats Monostar was able to recognize, but most seemed unfamiliar to him. He noticed the some of the warriors were just tiny kits when he last saw them, and most of the younger cats were born after he left. I'm a stranger in my own Clan, Monoheart realized as the Clan gazed at him suspiciously. No one seems to recognize me.

"Cats of the Clan," Smokestar began, his loud, confident voice booming through the clamp. "Throughout our lives, we will all make many mistakes, some bigger than others, some will have consequences and some will not. But in order to grow and learn from these mistakes, they must be forgiven. Today, I have decided to give an old clanmate a second chance." Smokestar beckoned for Monoheart to stand beside him to face the Clan.

"My name is Monoheart. You may remember me as Badgerpaw." Monoheart spoke, his voice quivering a bit as he addressed the Clan. "A long time ago, I made a mistake and decided to run away. Since then, I've learned a lot and I believe that I've changed for the better. I don't expect any of you to accept me right away," he added. "I promise I will work hard and prove my loyalty to the Clan, and hopefully earn my place as a warrior of the Clan."

"This meeting is now over, you are dismissed." Smokestar jumped down from the top of his den, followed by Monoheart.

"What shall I do now?" Monoheart asked.

"Go find a nest in the warrior's den," Smokestar meowed, letting out a sigh. "There are many empty ones to choose from. You'll be on your paws from sun-up to sundown tomorrow. We've got a Clan to rebuild, and you'll need to work twice as hard as everyone else since you seem to be in better shape than any of us." He paused, taking to moment to look up at the night sky, the stars flickering above them.

"I visited the Spirit Stones countless times these past few moons, begging them to send something, anything, that would save the Clan. But none of the Spirits would answer my cries for help." Smokestar unsheathed his claws, digging them into the soft earth beneath his paws. "I had to stand by and watch helplessly as my clanmates dropped like flies around me! I had to beg the spirits to let me give my lives to the cats that hadn't died yet. All eight of my lives, gone! Just so I could stop the Clan from completely dying out!"

Monoheart took a step back from the Kaiser as the tom raged about the Spirits. The stress of nearly losing the Clan seemed to have taken its toll on the Kaiser's mental state, Monoheart noticed. "Smokestar, I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say," he meowed nervously, not wanted to upset the Kaiser any further.

Smokestar whipped around to face Monoheart, fury blazing in his eyes. Then he froze, eyes widening as he noticed the slight fear on Monoheart's face. The tom took a deep breath to calm himself, lowering his head in shame. "I'm sorry, Monoheart. This is my burden to bear, not yours. Go now, get some rest. I'll see you in the morning."

Monoheart padded through the camp's exit, his limbs aching with exhaustion. He hadn't had a chance to rest all day, between checking the borders and hunting for his weaker clanmates. His stomach growled as he realized he hadn't even eaten that day. He made his way towards the hills, hoping to find some prey out and about. Soon enough, he located a mouse foraging in the undergrowth. Monoheart stalked forward, preparing to pounce when a blur of dark brown whizzed past him, tossing the mouse into the air and slamming it back to the ground to kill it.

"Ha, beat you!" The younger tom puffed out his chest, obviously proud of himself. "You're lucky I'm not hungry, so you can have it."

Monoheart twitched his whiskers in amusement, the tom reminding him of himself when he was younger. He crouched down and dug into the mouse. It was too small to fill him up, but it was better than nothing. "So, you're Adderkit, right? Are kits allowed out of camp now?"

The tom let out an indignant huff at Monoheart's words. "I'm an apprentice, not a kit! My name's Adderpaw."

"Ah, my bad," Monoheart said, finishing the last of his meal. "I remember the Bishop's apprentice calling you Adderkit a few days ago."

"Mudpaw!" Adderpaw swore under his breath. "Annoying furball!"

Monoheart chuckled at the antics of the apprentices, rising to his paws to scrape some dirt over the carcass of the mouse. "So, what are you doing out here without your mentor?"

"Ugh," Adderpaw let out an exasperated sigh. "Webstripe's asleep again, and I was getting bored, so I decided to follow you."

"You shouldn't leave camp with letting someone know where you're going." Monoheart scolded the apprentice, who merely rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I know," Adderpaw said, shuffling his paws. "But Webstripe said..." he paused, trying to choose his words carefully. "He said he was surprised you came back-"

"And you want to know why I left in the first place," Monoheart finished his sentence for him, taking a deep breath. "Alright, I'll tell you what happened."

"What, really?"

"Yes. It's something I regret, but it's not something I want to hide. You may want to get comfortable, it's a long story."
Last edited by AstroCat on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Spring Cleaning

Postby AstroCat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Spring Cleaning
(adderstripe, hazelflame, monostar)

Adderstripe sat perched on a low hanging branch on the Lone Pine. His eyelids were heavy with exhaustion, but he forced himself to keep them open. It was his turn to guard the camp that night, so of course, it would be one of the few nights where he was actually tired. Trying to take his mind off his sleepiness, his gaze swept over the Clan's camp. It had become overgrown and unkempt after the Great Sickness, a depressing reminder of the plague that almost caused the Clan's extinction.

There had been attempts to rebuild, but removing the old nests and the belongings of the deceased cats became overwhelming each time they began to clean. Adderstripe sighed, he knew that he had to do something to keep himself awake, so he might as well do some cleaning up. He leaped down from the branch, landing lightly on his feet as he padded into the camp. His first stop was the Kaiser's den at the back of the camp, figuring he would work his way to the front.

As Adderstripe passed the entrance of the Kaiser's den, he heard Monostar's loud snoring. He let out a small chuckle. Monostar always denied that he snored, and would always act so offended whenever anyone accused him of it. He felt a rush of affection for Monostar, the cat that had taken him under his wing and had always been there for him. He sniffed around until he located what he was looking for- a small dandelion growing near the den. He carefully picked it up in his mouth and quietly made his way into Monostar's den, placing the dandelion on the pile of flowers that Monostar kept in one of the corners of his den. Many Clan cats liked to collect things, and Monostar loved flowers.

Adderstripe plucked the weeds from around the dens and tossed the pile out of camp. Then, he went about the task of cleaning out the warrior's den. Each nest still had the faint scent of his clanmates that had passed away. Adderstripe's heart fell as he realized he couldn't bring himself to just throw them out with all their belongings. Instead, he dragged the pile of nests out of camp, leaving them beside the entrance until he figured out what to do with them. He returned to the warrior's den and glanced around.

"Adderstripe? What are you doing, dear?" Hazelflame peered over at him from her nest in the back of the den, her bright eyes shining in the darkness.

"Sorry," Adderstripe muttered, ducking his head in apology. "Didn't mean to wake you."

"Oh! You've been doing some spring cleaning, it looks so much better in here!" The she-cat exclaimed, rising from her nest to admire the den.

"Spring cleaning? It's the middle of summer?"

"Just a figure of speech," Hazelflame replied, wrapping her tail around his shoulders. "I know it must have been hard, but you know what they say, 'out with the old, in with the new'."

"Yeah, I guess," Adderstripe said, shaking her tail off his shoulders. "I didn't know what to do with all their stuff. It didn't feel right to just throw it out."

Hazelflame hummed thoughtfully. "You know, dear, when I lived in the city, there was a place I passed by when I strolled down the road. It was where humans buried their deceased. Their graves were marked with large rocks, and sometimes people would visit the rocks and place gifts on them. Perhaps we could take their belongings to their graves?"

"That's actually a really good idea," Adderstripe was pleasantly surprised at the she-cat's suggestion, and a bit frustrated he didn't think of it himself. "I'll get to it, you go back to sleep."

"Nonsense! You know that's too big of a task to carry out on your own. I shall go and wake Monostar, this is something we should all do together." Hazelflame pushed past him and headed to the Kaiser's den.

"Wait!" He called after her. "Shouldn't we wait until morning?"

"Of course not! The stars are shining and the Spirits are watching over us!" She called back, disappearing into Monostar's den. Adderstripe knew it was useless to try and change her mind, so he exited the camp and waited for the two to join him.

The three Clan cats carried the nests of the fallen cats, along with any of their belongings, and placed them as gravemarkers where they were all buried underneath Bishop's Watch. The stars twinkled above them in delight. When they were finished the Clan cats returned to camp, their paws heavy but their hearts light.

"It looks so different," Adderstripe said as he examined the camp in the daylight, realizing how empty it was. "It really is just us now."

"For now," Monostar said, pressing up against Adderstripe. "Different isn't always a bad thing. For us, it's a new beginning."

Hazelflame pressed up against his other side and let out a soothing purr. The three stood like that for a few moments, gaining strength from the others' presence. They had a long, difficult task ahead of them if they were to return the Clan to its full glory. But together they could do anything, one step at a time.
Last edited by AstroCat on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Disenchanted

Postby AstroCat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Disenchanted
(Hazelflame, Mudpaw (NPC))
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hazel struggled to free herself from the human's grip as it ran a brush through her long, silky fur. However, the more she squirmed, the tighter the grip on her became. Hazel eventually settled down with a hiss of annoyance. Oh, how she hated the way the humans pampered her! The constant grooming, the vet check-ups, and the fact that she hardly had time to just be a cat. As soon as she grew old enough to be entered in shows, she almost never had a spare moment to just be herself. At first, she had adored the constant attention and pampering, but after some time she had become disenchanted with the show cat way of life.

"What's with you, Hazel? Usually you never give the human a hard time," Summer, her mother, glanced over at Hazel from her resting place on the chair.

"I'm tired of it!" Hazel snapped, lashing her tail in annoyance. "I just want to be a normal cat!"

Summer let out a sigh as she shook her head. "Stop fussing, dear. You were born and bred to be a show cat. You should consider yourself lucky to be spoiled as much as you are."

The human finally released its grip on Hazel, who darted away to join her mother on the chair. She shook her pelt, trying to rid herself of the feeling of the human's hand on her. Summer narrowed her eyes in annoyance at her daughter's attitude.

"Now, Hazel, stop being so ungrateful. You have a wonderful life here, so what if you have to be groomed and shown? I'd say it's a small price to pay for the life of luxury we've been given."

"I know that," Hazel replied in exasperation. "I just don't like it one bit! Do you know Charlie, the cat that lives next door? His owners never bother him, he gets to go wherever he wants whenever he wants!"

"Hazel! I told you not to talk to the neighborhood cats, those ruffians are practically strays!" Summer growled, raising to her paws to leave. "Stop sneaking outside, and learn to mind your manners around the humans!"

Hazel watched Summer leave the room with a sigh. Her mother would never understand how she felt, she would just have to accept it. These days, it seemed like she had no one. She was almost always at odds with her mother, and was only able to speak with other cats when she snuck outside at night. As she curled up in the chair to sleep, a feeling of bitter loneliness overcame her.

Images of suffering, sickness, and death haunted Hazel's dreams. As soon as she closed her eyes, she was transported to a small clearing, surrounded by trees. Fog would roll in on the ground, shifting to the shapes of cats. They would crawl around, yowling in pain and fear until death finally claimed them. Hazel could only watch in horror as it happened until she would wake up to her heart pounding and her bed nearly shredded. Of course, she couldn't tell anyone about her dreams. Who would believe her?

One night, however, her dream was different. Hazel stood in the foggy clearing, bracing herself for the wailing of the dying cats. But it never came. Instead, a small brown cat emerged from the trees, its pelt glowing with stardust. Hazel tried to approach the strange cat, but her paws seemed rooted in place.

"Hello?" She called to the cat as it padded over to her. It was a young tom, barely half her size. He stopped in front of her, extending his neck to touch his nose to hers. As he did, an image flashed in Hazel's mind. She was standing on a ledge, higher than the tops of the trees that surrounded it. Then, her paws slipped, and she fell, down, down, down...

Just before she hit the ground, she found herself back in the clearing with the strange tom. His eyes glittered with sadness as he looked up at her. Suddenly, Hazel understood what the vision meant.

"That's how you died," she whispered, a shudder running down her spine. "What happened to the other cats?"

"I couldn't save them. There was no one to save them." The tom spoke, his voice was strained and weary. "I tried to save one cat, and ended up killing them all."

"But I'm sure you didn't mean to-"

"It was my fault." The tom cut her off, his voice shaking in anger at himself. "They all died because of my mistake. And now, I have to try and fix everything that I caused to happen."

"Who are you? Why did you come to me?"

"My name is Mudpaw. I used to live in the woods, with my Clan before my death. I'm here because you can help them. I can tell that you're not content with the life of a housecat. Listen to me carefully, and help me to right all the wrongs I have caused..."

Hazel stood underneath the tree that marked the edge of the Clan border. She had wandered all day, trying to find the tree that Mudpaw had described until kind loner showed her to the border. Her paws itched with anticipation. This was where she belonged, she was sure of it. Now all she had to do was wait for the Clan cats to come. She waited until the sun had begun to set, then she picked up the scent of another cat in the breeze.

A gray and white tom appeared, calling out a friendly greeting as he approached. Hazel took a liking to him and his warm demeanor immediately.

"Hello there, stranger! Do you know where you are?"

"My name is Hazel," she lifted her head to meet the large tom's eyes. "And I'm home."
Last edited by AstroCat on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Postby AstroCat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 pm

res. for leveling
AstroCat