requiem of the firefly // kalon tryout

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

requiem of the firefly // kalon tryout

Postby deerbroken » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 pm

π“‡π‘’π“†π“Šπ’Ύπ‘’π“‚ π‘œπ’» 𝓉𝒽𝑒 π’»π’Ύπ“‡π‘’π’»π“π“Ž

|original competition.|

reusing for a main adopt, please dn post!
ty ;v; /

─────────────────────────────────
Last edited by deerbroken on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 am, edited 10 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deerbroken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 pm

birth of the firefly
mages of the village wrote:Hush, little firefly
wait for all the lights to die
Wring your paws with dark intent
following a path hellbent

Stop and think, firefly
Don’t you know you made us cry?
You know what you do is wrong
yet you never stop for long

Each day, a new spell is cast
You really think that this will last?
Please, little firefly
we don’t want to see you die
You’re one of us, can’t you see?
Think of the coming tragedy

Last edited by deerbroken on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

i have woken up

Postby deerbroken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:51 pm

The paper read β€œneed apprentice; must have prior work experience and knowledge on forest flora and fauna.” It had deterred Hotaru at first, knowing how little experience he had working with magic, but he managed to drag himself to the worn old cabin just at the end of the village, paralyzed with fear in front of the door. One knock, and it would change his fate. One knock, and the head mage would know who he was. She would know his face, and she would steal his heart if he wasn’t to her liking.

…At least, that’s what the kids say. He’s not sure how much of that he can really believe…

The hairs on his neck bristle with his nerves. Just one knock…

He shifts to put his arm out, determined to get this over with. He can do it. He just has toβ€” knock.

He curls his hand into a fist, feeling a bead of sweat drip down his neck. Just oneβ€”

β€œAre you going to come in, or not?”

He jumps at the sudden voice, recoiling from the door and grasping his paw as if he’d thought he would somehow lose it.

A tense silence fills the air. The voice behind the door clears her throat, and Hotaru takes it as a signal to step inside.

───

The cabin is much nicer on the inside; warm lights flicker from the candles scattered here and there, a massive, ancient carpet in the center of the floor. At the edge of it, a woman sits in her chair, her eyes suspicious and directly on the young mage. He feels a pit in his stomach as he’s stared down.

β€œWell, why have you come here, boy? I’m a very busy woman.”

β€œI-I,” he stutters, clenching his fists around the paper he’d brought with him as he tries to draw courage out from the crevices of his body. β€œI’m here because I want to be your apprentice.”

The woman’s brow raises, and she gives him another look over before nonchalantly returning to the book that lay in her lap.

β€œYou start tomorrow,” she said, her voice finally soft and free of the hard edge she’d previously held in it.

β€œWh-what? Aren’t you going to ask me questions, orβ€”β€œ

β€œYou start tomorrow,” she repeats, turning the page of her novel.

β€œOkay, uhβ€”β€œ

β€œMadame Keomi. You will address me as such.”

β€œOh, uh, right, okay. Madame Keomi. Nice to meet you. I’m Hotaru.”

β€œThe little firefly?” Her eyes shoot up to look at the young kalon, his face immediately flushing with frustration.

β€œThat nickname is immature and I’ve long outgrown it,” he mutters, staring somewhere else in the room while the mage has her eyes on him once again.

β€œI only kid with you, Hotaru. Be here in the morning. We’ll start your training right away.”

Last edited by deerbroken on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:34 am, edited 15 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

quite sloshed

Postby deerbroken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:58 pm

β€œMadame?”

β€œYou heard me the first time. I’ll be going out tomorrow night for a secret mission.” She gave the young man a devious smile, putting a single finger to her lips. β€œYou are not to tell anyone.”

β€œBut you’ll be back by morning, won’t you?” Her playful demeanor fades as she folds her arms.

β€œI can’t say for sure. It may be a few days time before I return. But I assure you I will return a better woman than before.”

Hotaru’s eyes showed his worry in stead of his words, staring helplessly at the head mage.

β€œI know you worry, my star protege, but I will be back soon enough.”

β€œAre youβ€”β€œ

β€œYes, I’m sure. In the mean time, however, I’d like to ask something of you.”

He raises a brow.

β€œI want you to watch over the village for me as the stand-in head mage.”

β€œYou want me toβ€” to do your job?” His eyes widen, disbelief and excitement muddled together in his expression.

β€œIt’s only temporary. Besides, I’ve taught you nearly everything I know. I have little to be concerned about leaving you here by yourself.”

β€œAlright. If you think so, Madame Keomi…” She nods.

β€œI do. I have one more request to make before I begin preparing for my leave.” She carefully pulls the massive dark hat that had been resting on her head, dusting it off briefly before she sets it down on Hotaru’s.

β€œMiss, I couldn’tβ€”β€œ

β€œI want you to have it.”

He smiles sincerely, the two of them sharing a rare moment of emotion.

β€œThank you, Madame Keomi. I’ll take good care of it.” She returns a soft laugh.

β€œI know you will. Now, off you go. I have work to do.” She shoos him off with her paws, and he turns as he’s commanded, walking to the door as his paw rests on the brim of the madame’s hat. His hand wavers as he reaches for the door handle, fearing that he’d forgotten something. He turns his head back, looking to his mentor with worry in his eyes again.

β€œMadame Keomi?”

β€œYes, child?” She raises a brow, her hands holding a closed book as she looks to the apprentice.

β€œβ€¦Please be safe.” She snorts, an amused smile on her muzzle.

β€œI will. Go home, little firefly.”

He rolls his eyes, his grin returning as he opens the door and begins his walk down the beaten path to the village.

Last edited by deerbroken on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 am, edited 15 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

from night-mingled rains

Postby deerbroken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 pm

name: Hotaru Kiyoshi
    nicknames: little firefly, taro
    species: kalon
    religious belief: Paganism
    height: 5’3 anthro or human
    about the size of a lynx in feral form

scars/birthmarks: none
    abilities and powers: magical abilities,
    advanced spell casting
    Restrictions: doesn’t often let himself
    get too close to others, never stays in
    one place for long, keeps his conversation
    to a minimum

favorite music genre: flute and
    percussion instrumentals
    favorite book genre: horror
    favorite quote:
    β€œwhat doesn't kill you
    makes you weird at parties."
    - unknown
                        sins: wrath / gluttony / sloth / greed / pride / lust / envy

virtues: chastity / charity / diligence / humility / kindness / patience / justice

primary goals in life: his ultimate goal is to find out what happened to his mentor, as he believes she is still alive. He would also like to better his spell practice, learn all of the arcane arts, and get in touch with the higher levels of the warlock world.

languages known: english, japanese, latin.
                        secrets: immortal, apathetic, banished from his home village for eternity
                        quirks: twitches his right ear, fiddles with his thumbs, plays with the hair at the end of his tail.

likes bad puns: hates them. Will smirk a little when he hears them, though.
                        morality: chaotic neutral.
                        mbti: istp.
                        build: thin.
                        favorite foods: fried rice, chicken,
                        mushrooms, chocolate truffles
                        theme song: x
                        [ooc extra art]

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by deerbroken on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

a little drugged, by mountain fogs

Postby deerbroken » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:26 pm

lord alastor wrote:
November 1st, XX72

Greetings, Mage Hotaru. I have been informed that your mentor, one Keomi Fukuhara, has gone missing for several months now. I previously inquired with her to assimilate her into my court as my head mage. Her passing has taken its toll on all of us here, just as it has in your village.

While tragedy has befallen your mentor, an opportunity arrises for you, young Hotaru. I would like to see a study of a new form of magic. Think of it as your trial run. Should you impress me, I will allow you to take your master's place in my palace. Food, gold, and luxuries that do not fall upon your small home town will all be yours should you succeed.

I await your decision.

l໐rΰ»“ ΰΈ„lΰΈ„Εžt໐r ΰΉ–ΰΈ„lthΰΈ„ΰΊŠΰΈ„r.

hotaru wrote:
November 10th, year XX71

Hello, Sire Alastor. Thank you for contacting me about my mentor's prior work. Days here have been slow for quite some time, however today I discovered a book in my mentor’s abandoned home. She’s been gone for a year now. No one knows what happened to her. We’re not allowed to speak of it, but I don’t agree with this. We should have looked for her. She could still be out there. She was the most important mage in this village, yet she still remains lost? This is unacceptable to me.

The book is old and worn. It looks like it came from a time before our village even existed… I will read the pages and report back, as I believe this tome will hold magic that is worth experimenting with. I appreciate this opportunity you’ve offered me, and if you so choose to hire me as your court warlock, I will work ambitiously.

Best,

π»π‘œπ“‰π’Άπ“‡π“Š π’¦π’Ύπ“Žπ‘œπ“ˆπ’½π’Ύ

hotaru wrote:
November 24th, Year XX71

The book’s spells have been quite interesting up to this point, Sire Alastor. Wounds and pain that previously could not be healed are now things of the past. Not just physical wounds, but trauma of the mind and soul can be cured with the spells of this book. The repercussions seem to be minimal, as well. There is only one small drawback, and it hardly worries me: it requires the use of blood and viscera for the ceremonies. I am surely not a squeamish sorcerer, so I have no trouble acquiring ingredients for these spells.

Many of our villagers now fair better because of these spells. While some of the older mages don’t approve of this magic, I’ve helped our citizens overcome great tragedies. I was able to bring back an old man’s memory, after nearly seeing him lost into his own mind. He now speaks clearly, and can remember his wife, his children, and even his grandchildren. He has taken up painting and has a renewed love for life. The woman who has been mute since her childhood can now speak. Her speech is still somewhat warbled, but she is learning to talk with us and grows more confident each day. A mourning widow asked me to remove her memory of her husband. I did so, and she has never been happier. This was done after the funeral arrangements were carried out, of course. I continue to study this magic as I write, your highness. I will report back again as soon as I am able. If you would be so inclined, I would appreciate any thoughts on how my research is going, and whether or not you are close to reaching a verdict on my employment.

Best regards,

hotaru wrote:
December 2nd, XX71

I hope that this letter finds you well, Sire Alastor. I have discovered a spell that will grant immortality. It is conditional, but it will grant the user many privileges with their lengthened lifespan. I have reviewed the ingredients and, at your discretion, would be more than willing to perform this spell on myself as a trial run. Should it be successful, I could lengthen your life or others in your court.

The book’s other spells have been of quite some use. I have found incantations that strengthen magic abilities, increase intelligence, and even bring back those who have passed. The former two have been tested in real time, and I can confidently say that they work quite well. I am able to comprehend information at a much faster rate, and the spells I cast seem strengthened. I feel more connected to the earth and the magic flowing within my body.

I await your response eagerly.

Sincerely,

hotaru wrote:
January 23rd, XX72

Sire Alastor, I write bearing good news, as well as bad news. The spell I mentioned that you and I are curious of must be performed in the spring. I await the warmer months with baited breath, and in preparation I have begun to collect the needed items for the spell. I will admit that it has not been entirely easy. I offered gold to our village’s butcher to leave out a deer’s heart for me after the next rounds are brought back. I have been out in the wilderness searching for the herbs and fungi that accompany the spell. The death cap has been incredibly illusive to me as of late, and it is one of the most important parts of the spell. I may have to travel some distance to acquire this rarity. I have saved gold for this occasion, however.

More of our townsfolk come to me in time of need. I dare say that I am the most popular mage in the village. However, I fear that the elder mages have caught wind of my coming plans and may try to stop me. I understand their concerns, Sire, but I will show them the letter you wrote giving me your permission to perform the ceremony. Surely they will not disobey the lord that oversees our economy and trade. That would be foolish. If you would be so inclined, a letter to our mages may help them settle their squabbles about my upcoming spell.

I thank you for your continued patronage.

Sincerely,

hotaru wrote:
March 30th, XX72

Greetings, Lord Alastor. Your letter to our mages has helped greatly with my business. I would like to thank you, first and foremost, for your generous advance. It has made the last few purchases before the spell much easier, and with the spring equinox past us, I can begin the process of the spell we have been waiting to see in action.

With the day I have planned to begin approaching rapidly, I would like to detail the spell to you. I cannot write the words of the spell (the book has stated that doing so can cause great harm to the user, though it does not say in what ways) but I will let you know of the ingredients and some of the process.

I have collected in the past months many items:

Β» the heart of a wild beast
Β» the taloned foot of a falcon
Β» feathers from a mourning raven
Β» the wood of an infected cottonwood tree
Β» the eye of a beloved
Β» three mushrooms
xxxxx- one of death (the death cap)
xxxxx- deliriousness (destroying angel)
xxxxx- divinity (angel wings)
Β» sage

I also had to take a small amount of my own blood for the spell. I have these ingredients stored away properly. These were not terribly difficult to obtain, surprisingly. The hunters and foreign merchants were more than willing to help my will with a small payment. The sage I collected on my own, and the blood was no difficulty, either. To ask my friend for their eye is terribly strange, however, and terribly preposterous. For this I had to speak with our village doctor. He wasn’t easy to convince, and in the end I have spent nearly my entire life savings on this endeavor to convince him to aid me. I am ready now, though, and the reward will be more than worth it.

The process is relatively simple. I must combine the mushrooms, a small amount of my blood, the eye and the ashes of sage into a paste. I have already made a brush of sorts from the crow’s feathers and wood. I must create a specific pattern to begin the spell, and offer the heart and hands of beasts as patronage. After the incantation, I am asked to meditate for approximately an hour, and then I must wait. Results will show within 48 hours. Aside from immortality, the spell is said to grant fast healing, nimbleness, and heightened senses. I will inform you of the results soon, my lord.

I trust that you have made your decision on my employment, and await your approval eagerly. As soon as the spell is complete, I will write you and begin packing my worldly possessions.

May your life be as long and prosperous as mine will be.

Best regards,

hotaru wrote:
April 6th, XX72

Hello, Lord Alastor. I have completed the spell and have waited one week before writing you. The results have been quite incredible, I must say. I have never felt so alive in my life. I require little sleep to feel rested, I can run at twice the speed I could before, and every sound and sight is joyous. My sense of taste is quite strong, and with some practice I have been able to deliberate on every ingredient in a few of our town’s many dishes. The head chef was kind enough to humor me.

I cut my finger by accident while preparing my food last evening, and within mere seconds the wound was healed and gone. No scar remains. I am frighteningly surprised by the results. Strangely enough, I have been more drawn to the outdoors. I feel somehow at home in the forest that surrounds our village.

My thoughts float back to my former master. A wonderful mage and a close friend, I miss her dearly. I believe that she would be proud to see my progress today. I have strongly considered taking an apprentice, especially now with my new abilities and somewhat controversial spells. Though they are still frowned upon by the elder mages, some of the witches and wizards from surrounding cities have visited to inquire about my magical abilities. This book has brought untold fortunes that I never would have expected.

I have gathered my things and am prepared to leave as soon as you inform me you are ready to house me. I will not be able to cast the spell for some time, according to the book, as it has drained most of my magic for the time being. It will most likely be a few months before I can cast the spell again. However, that will allow us much time to prepare, as well as time to get acquainted in the flesh.

Best regards,

hotaru wrote:
April 8th, XX72

How I long to escape this small-minded village. My lord, the elderly mages have brought me into close quarters and are banishing me from my home, having the audacity to call me β€œlittle firefly” while doing so. They have failed to inform me that the spell I cast on myself is forbidden in our history, and that the one other who cast said spell far in time’s past was similarly cast out. They cannot give me more information, and now refuse to speak to me. My dwelling has been boarded up, and the village will burn it to the ground tonight. The people of the village avoid my stare and look away from me with discomfort. I am enraged by their treachery and I have no remorse leaving these grounds for the rest of eternity.

They do not understand what they are losing by casting me out. I will see to it that they suffer once I am your personal mage, should you command me to do so. I am sorry to have to inform you of such tragedy, but I will be waiting at the inn this letter has been sent from for your reply.

Best,

lord alastor wrote:
September 1st, XX72

Greetings, Mage Hotaru. I hope that your condition has improved since you last wrote me. I apologize for the delay. I have been informed that my enemies are keeping close watch on me, and await my first mistake to pounce. They eagerly aim to ruin my relationship with my kingdom and sway my people from me. As I suspect there is a war on the verge of becoming a reality, I must take precautions at every turn.

Your research has been fascinating. The unending devotion you hold towards my kingdom warms my heart in this time of need. I am sure that your studies will similarly catch the interest of other mages and warlocks across the lands. I am deeply sorrowful that the mages of your town did not inform you of such rules. I will contact them soon about making their orders more clear to those who remain, as to assure that this does not happen again.

Due to the close eye on my activities, and the nature of your spells which are oft referred to as β€œcontroversial,” I cannot hire you at this time. I wish you well with your career, and you are more than welcome to write me again should you find another strain of magic you wish to study. I recommend you publish work on your findings, as this information should be shared with those in your community of spell casters.

Your undivided patronage has been much appreciated.

l໐rΰ»“ ΰΈ„lΰΈ„Εžt໐r ΰΉ–ΰΈ„lthΰΈ„ΰΊŠΰΈ„r.

Last edited by deerbroken on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:11 am, edited 11 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

i have been kidnapped

Postby deerbroken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 pm

β€œWhat can I do for you?” The shorter kalon smiled wide, his grin somewhat mangled by his teeth sticking through his lips, but still welcoming. Hotaru remained stoic, a blank expression plastered on his face. The statement β€œdon’t make that face, or it’ll get stuck like that” rang true for him, as more often than not this was the way he looked upon others. He took a soft breath before speaking.

β€œI’d like a room for the next month.” He set a bag of coin on the counter, brow raised soon after as if he expected the man to hand him his key without counting it. The inn keeper made a surprised expression at the sudden harshness of his gaze, but cheerfully laughed it off, pulling the bag closer as he dumped its contents onto the counter.

β€œForty two, forty three… Five hundred and forty three! How’d you know my prices? I can’t say I’ve seen you before.” Hotaru gave a small amused huff, his lips twitching into a smile.

β€œI have my ways.” His "ways" weren't anything terribly cryptid, as his statement seemed to imply; he'd asked the townsfolk before collecting the gold to head inside, and had thrown the coin into the small purse in hopes of avoiding long conversation or awkward shuffling through his belongings to find all of the necessary payment. He left his response at that, however, and once the inn keeper slid him his key, he took it with no hesitation.

β€œThanks for choosing to stay with us! I’m Myris, by the way. We have a dining room down the hall with meals served at 5, 12, and 6. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you!”

Hotaru gave a soft nod as he began to walk to the staircase. The inn was rustic in aesthetic; the walls and floor were wooden, candles strung on shelves and chandeliers. The soft light against the grain of the planks gave off a calm, homey feel, and as he climbed the stairs and stood before his door, the weight of his tiredness fell upon his shoulders. He was exhausted. He’d been traveling for days now; he did not stop unless the weather was foul, and had made the long trek to the small inn much faster than intended. He had been desperate to escape the last town he had used as a hiding place. The townsfolk became weary of him, and pushed him to reveal more about himself despite his obvious disdain on the topic. It always happened eventually; he could stay for quite some time, minding his own business and doing little favors for the community, but sooner or later people would want to get to know him, to know his past, and to know himself. He couldn’t share that with simple folk. It would ruin the peace of their community. And it would put him in the place of an outcast, a fate he would never allow himself to experience again.

The key slid into the lock with ease, Hotaru turning the handle and getting a good look at his new home for the next month. The room was simple; a bed with white sheets and a red comforter, a hand-made nightstand and lamp, and a dining table with two chairs and a carpet beneath it. This would do. He shrugged his pack off of his shoulders, setting it by the door as he pushed it closed. He hung his cloak on the hooks that were nailed on the wall, and finally allowed himself to fall onto the bed, the cushions easing his weary bones almost immediately. Typically he had a hard time falling asleep, but he could feel that tonight would not be one of those nights. As he pulled himself under the covers, his breathing softened and he began to drift.

Last edited by deerbroken on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

for years

Postby deerbroken » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 pm

[the dream]
[colorless version]

An endless darkness consumed him as he slept. The world outside shut away, Hotaru let his weary mind rest. Passing thoughts visualized as he lay still; images of his mentor, his village, the strangers he’d met on the road, and many others flew past him as he tried to comprehend a meaning from all of it. Before he could grasp any of the words and ideas that flew by him in his dreams, he felt a harsh weight on his chest, rousing him from his slumber. He swatted his paw irritably, brows furrowing as he managed a low growl.

β€œStop… I’m awake.”

β€œOh thank god!” The shrieking voice caused him to cringe, ears twitching as he shifted to sit.

β€œWhat’s the problem?”

As his eyes focused on the forms before him, he saw the inn keeper and a tiny kalon that strongly resembled him.

β€œMy apologies, sir. Arturo here,” he motioned to the young kit, β€œwanted to get you up for breakfast since it’s your first day here. It didn’t look like you were breathing, so we thought you were… well, dead.”

He sighed, flopping back against the mattress.

β€œI’m a heavy sleeper. I’d appreciate it if you not bother me in my private time.”

β€œSo sorry, sir. We’ll be sure to give you your privacy.”

The young kit piped up, his small paws held together. β€œDoes that mean he doesn’t want breakfast?”

His father laughed, ruffling the kit’s hair. β€œI’m sure he’ll be down when he’s ready.”

β€œOf course.” Hotaru gave a soft, irritated sigh. Though he despised being disrupted during his sleep, he couldn’t hold his anger towards a child. β€œI’ll be down in a minute.”

β€œThank you, sir. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with our meal options this morning.” With that, the two kalons left his room, closing the door behind him. Hotaru put his pawpads to his temples, briefly rubbing them as he allowed himself another moment to fully wake up.

It’s going to be a long month.

Last edited by deerbroken on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

by a mere kiss

Postby deerbroken » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm

finale of the firefly
mages of the village wrote:oh, little firefly

we know that you like to try
fate is yours to change today
even though we’ve parted ways

speak, little firefly
let us know where you will fly
Never can you come back home
but we know you like to roam

never knowing where you’re going
but your light will keep on glowing
never give in, little firefly
we know that you'll never die
though you’re gone we keep our pride
knowing that you’re on our side

Last edited by deerbroken on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

those who helped along the way

Postby deerbroken » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:51 pm

thanks 2 nΓ©ktar bc their coding is a++.
only used the line dividers but shoutout to them !

i did the little kalon pixel. the reference for the
website i used is down below.
the digital art pieces and drawn piece of
kalon 1413 was done by me.

kalons:
Alastor is my kalon, made by ΘΆigressa.
Myris is also one of my kals, made by Trollish.
Arturo is from an ooc breeding, made by Kyar.

poem in subjects:
β€œI have woken up…quite sloshed
from night-mingled rains
a little drugged, by mountain fogs
I have been kidnapped
for years....by a mere kiss.”
- Sanober Khan, A Thousand Flamingos

image credits:
x x x x x x x x x x

other quotes:
x x x x x

website resources: