This is Not a Diary, It is a Lychee!

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Sequel?

No, better as a standalone
19%
No, this was terrible
19%
Yes, idea #1
13%
Yes, idea #2
19%
Yes, either are good
31%

Total votes : 16

This is Not a Diary, It is a Lychee!

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:02 am

Once, I decided I would try to write a story with every annoying stereotype I could think of, but add some traits that actually make them seem less two-dimensional. Here's the result. I know some of the main character's decisions aren't well-thought at all, and sentence structures are awkward at times, but that was intended, to show that he's not really bright.

This will mainly have Apollo's entries throughout the story, though the others may show up a few times. whenever I think they wpuld provide the best POV. Criticism is welcomed as long as you're polite about it.

NOTE: These characters don't always reflect my own beliefs - meaning that, say, Lucy saying classical music is boring doesn't mean I feel the same way. (I really like it anyway...)

DOUBLE-NOTE: Accepting new character submissions now! :D Link! By the way, this is how you fill the form:

Name:
    (Aunt) Amelia
Group:
    Not in school
Personality:
    Charming, cheerful, and compassionate - Amelia in a nutshell. Brash, brutal, and biased - her in another nutshell. (Why are two needed? Nobody knows.) For all her faults, though, Amelia is generally liked by her family and children alike. She strives for justice and peace, though she certainly doesn't know how to achieve it.
_____
Soo, diary.

I just got you as a Christmas present from my aunt. Only she would make someone write as a gift... This thing has "diary" literally written on the front really darned large, so I don't think I can use it - um, you - for anything else.

Journal does sound better, though. If I'm just giving you a completely random name, I might as well call you a food. Heh. Lychee sounds nice.

Actually, that sounds like a pretty good idea.

Anyway, I don't own a camera, or a phone, so I don't have many pictures, but here are some introductions anyway! Just in case I get amnesia or something and need to know... ?

Me, Apollo. I think I'd know my own personality... I live on a farm and help out with whatever I can.

Reef, my seriously distant (about tenth) cousin. She's a little uptight - a little warning, amnesia-infected self! But really, she's nice-ish and you can probably make her laugh if you try hard enough.

Anyway, I don't have any other printed images lying around, so if I can get anything else I'll add it in.

A/N: Last sentence should be read as:

"Anyway, I don'thave any dressups lying around, so if I can actually get off my butt and make them, I'll add them in."

Next post
Last edited by Piefan on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:05 am, edited 16 times in total.
I'm socially awkward and sometimes terse - don't mind me.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

So They Met

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 am

______

The school year is beginning... I should have mentioned I live next door to Reef, that girl I showed you earlier. My mom thought it would be a good idea to go with someone else, so I wouldn't be alone for the "harsh, harsh world of school!" She is outrageously dramatic... Even more so than Lucy.

Oh, wait, I haven't gotten to that part yet.

So, Reef and I went to school today. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, we talked on the way, by the end of the conversation we had punched (or hit in any other way) each other about ten times.

I'd say we got along pretty well.

But I'm getting off-point. We reached school together, and met in the multi-purpose hall, sorted by new students and old. On the stage was a light brown dog. They added a picture of her in the school handbook, I'll just cut it out...

I need to go do my chores, so I'm not going to add all those dialogue tags or whatever they're called. Colours are cool, so I'll use those instead.

"Hey, guys!~ My name's Lucy!" -Girl on stage

Her tone was cheery and I decided I liked her. Reef didn't exactly think the same. She was just staring up coldly.

"Who exactly is she?" -Reef

A boy behind us overheard and answered.

"As you probably guessed, she's Lucy. The principal was once found with files of everybody categorised under certain groups: Fashionable fools, people nobody likes-"

"Can you cut to the parts that are actually relevant?"

He grunted, but did so.

"Nobody really liked that, so she basically declared 'Screw this!' and let the students sort their own groups, separate everyone based on that, and then he put his most hated person in charge. When he graduated, the honor was passed on to the next person he hated, and-"

I coughed. He seemed to take the hint, even if I had never seen any expression as annoyed as his.

"So, they resorted everyone and renamed the groups. "Popular idiots" became just popular people and so on. The purpose of this was to get them to admit the groups he made weren't that bad. They never did. That's ir. Need me to simplify it for your tiny brain?"

I scowled at him, but he took no notice. My brain isn't that small - I only failed two subjects last year out of five.

"By the way, my name is Henry."

Apparently Lucy had been giving a long speech while we spoke. Huh. I was really the only one listening to him; Reef had stopped halfway through and paid attention to her.

Well, back to chores I go!

Next post
Last edited by Piefan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Reef in her own eyes/Shock

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:25 am

15/01/2013
Hello, diary. I am Reef. Writing has always been a hobby of mine, so I shall attempt to describe myself in a slightly pretentious view.

I was born to a businessman and a businesswoman. What is the plural of those two words? I shall check... Businesspeople. So, these businesspeople had a professional, strict, atittude. Not quite the best environment to raise a child. But it did work out well enough in the end, if I do say so myself. Though I do have decent natural strength, I do not often have the opportunity to exercise it. Most of my hours are spent at home, where I cannot mess anything lest there be some abrupt visit.

I will not try to say what I am like personality-wise. What I seem to be personality-wise to myself can be different to how others view me.

Signing off,
Reef

So Lychee! I'm going to punch something very, very hard. Today was the second day of school, and it was already terrible.

It started out normally. The groups Henry had mentioned were these: Populars, outcasts, nerds, and jocks. They're kinda self-explanatory - Populars are... yeah, popular with some, hated by others. Most are rude, though I have no idea why. Outcasts are... yeah, outcasts. Obviously Nerds are intelligent and antisocial, though depending on whether some popular guy wants them to do the "honors" of doing their homework, they're usually unpopular. Jocks are equivalent to Populars except sporty.

Lucy called up everyone individually (that's the word, right? I wish I had a dictionary with me...) to ask them questions and then sort them. Reef and I were, luckily, in different groups.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I do know how a few other people were sorted. I still remember tne conversations, so I might as well write them down. Apparently Lucy was the "one the principal hated."

When Reef was called up, she walked up to the stage with grace that I would appreciate if not for the fact I don't care, and turned to Lucy. Her voice was slightly accented with something I couldn't put my paw on.
"Hey. What are your interests?"
"Not many. Reading, I suppose? I enjoy writing as well."
"Whyever are you speaking like that?"

Lucy copied her tone and voice to say the last line, and in response Reef gritted her teeth.

"Hey, like, why are you speaking like that?"

I know it was rude, but I ended up laughing loudly. Lucy glared at me before turning back to my cousin.

"You sure as heck belong in outcasts."

It's not hard to guess that I hated her. And Henry. And Reef. I know I just said I liked Lucy, but I'm complicated, alright? Can't expect me to permenantly like her.

So, next conversation! Henry just walked up, more quickly than the purple girl, and before anything was said:
"I enjoy reading, experimenting, and science."
"How'd you know what I was going to ask?"

Lucy seemed genuinely surprised, while Henry's face was even more annoyed than when I talked to him.

"You've been asking it for the past thirty minutes!"
"Well, you're smart. Nerds!"

He gritted his teeth as he walked away.

And then there's me.

"Interests?"
"Sports, eating, all that stuff."
"Jock, I guess."

As soon as I walked to the groups gathered (they even had little signs to sort us!), the lights went out, and I sensed the principal stumble in and mumble something, confused. Lucy herself was just all 'okay, what happened?' while I was running on the spot in terror. (I'm kinda afraid of the dark, alright?) They went on again soon, and I blinked as I realised two things:

1) I'd managed to get myself on a table at the side, still running on the spot
2) Some black-coated guy was standing next to Lucy, who looked surprised.

The dark guy was standing on twos, making her - and she's taller than me - seem short by comparison. He had red eyes, though I thought those were contacts.

"Who are you?"
"I am Enigma, and I am an Enigma! I am the antithesis and the void! I am--- wait, what do you mean you don't know what an antithesis is?"
"... Um, right. Nerds?"
"Nerds? What, no. I bought these red contacts just to look scarier on the first day. Come on! Outcasts, please?"
"... Um, okay. Outcasts then. What's your name again?"
"I just said it. Enigma."
"So your name is an igma? What's an igma?"
"What? No, my name's just Enigma. En-ig-ma."
"Yeah, I get it, your name's an igma. Just tell me your actual name! Heck, write it down if you want."

He did so.

"Ugh, this writing's terrible... I can't even read it. Look, I'll just call you Unknown, alright?"

At this point, I was once again laughing.

Now, on to the explanation why it was a terrible day. I was in maths class, just doing fantastically (okay, not understanding most of it, but still), when I heard an announcement from the principal. The principal was now, "in an effort to connect everyone together", forcing a person from each group to get together and form a team, rescheduling the lessons so each team had to go together, sit together, work together on every group task, sit together at lunch, and watching us intently to make sure we worked well. These teams would be decided on tomorrow.

Obssessive much?

If you ask me she purposely wanted us to complain about this and say that the groups were pointless anyway.

But, eh, hopefully I'll team up with... um... tolarebale tolerable people.
____

A/N: I wanted to call this post "Disbereef" - see the pun? - but yeah.

Next post
Last edited by Piefan on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: This is Not a Diary, It is a Lychee!

Postby Snowflakette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:39 am

Nice! :D
Thumbs up for this Lychee! :thumbup:
Snowflakette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks!~

By the way, this post shall be used for poll results.

Romance?
      Yes: 2
      No: 1

Whose entries do you want to read most?
      Reef: 2
      Apollo: 2
      Lucy: 1

Best character?
    Principal: 1
    Apollo: 4
    Reef: 3
    Henry: 1
Last edited by Piefan on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowflakette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:53 am

Alright! I can't wait until the next post! I think you should make some posts explaining this Lychee. Just a friendly suggestion .3.
Snowflakette

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:59 am

Yeah, I plan on having Henry research the history of the school, along with adding a diary entry of each character included, describing themselves and displaying what they think of the others.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Henry in his own eyes/How Dare You?

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:04 pm

You are not a diary; you are a journal. Got that?

An introduction is in order, I guess? I'm Henry. I like studying. Knowledge is important, atfer all. Though I suppose it's not studying itself I enjoy, but the result of it. If I could become a genius without learning, I would be happy. But unfortunately, that's impossible, for me at least. Anyway, I'm kind of serious, I dislike luck-based games, and I've been told I overanalyse things.

I don't have much else to say. Well, leaving now!

Lychee, I am going to punch something very, very, very hard.

I know I started the last entry with literally the same thing. But it fits.

Remember when I innocently said I hoped I got teamed with decent people? I didn't. Big surprise. Instead, the pets I hate most were chosen.

Lucy, Henry, and Reef.

We all sat together quietly, giving each other annoyed glares, throughout the first three periods, but after a teacher mentioned that we would have to discuss things together to get good grades, Henry and Reef immediately began chatting their mouths off whenever they had the chance.

Well, I have a bunch of free time - no homework - so I might as well write down the conversation at lunch. Before Reef broke the ice, we'd been basically sitting around eating in silence, not doing much.

"So, how have your days been?"
"Reef, we were sitting together all the while. How could you not know?"
"Well, I apologise sincerely for trying to be polite!"

This was sarcastic, obviously.

"This is going to be a really pointlessly dragged-out argument, isn't it?"
"Yep, probably. Weird, I guess."
"Yes, quite so. Why are you wearnig that terrible hat indoors anyway?"

I frowned at him as he innocently ate his food.

"What did you just say about my hat?"
"It's terrible. I understand that maybe you may want to block the sunlight if you're outdoors, but we're in school, there is no excuse."
"How dare you?"

And then we had an argument about my hat as Reef and Lucy fought over whether or not it should be common courtesy to ask how people's days went.

That sounds like something people do every day. Totally reasonable. Of course, Lucy did kind of give up halfway through, but who cares? She went off to talk to her friends, the losers, and I just don't care. I'm willing to forgo a little worse marks if it means she isn't annoying us.

I watched the Populars and her interact for a while, and it seemed kinda strained. Like they really hated her, or she hated them, but reputation or manners or whatever other stuff forced them to be friends.

Next post
Last edited by Piefan on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CookieCat000 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Love this! :)
Stalking~
I don't really come here anymore
CookieCat000

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Piefan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks! The next post should be up pretty soon, I'm halfway done with writing it. New poll, by the way! If I do add romance, it'll definitely not be the main plot point, just a side thing.
Piefan

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me