Quail Incubation

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: Quail Incubation

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:33 am

The Worst Username wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:I would. Both nests have been abandoned now, and incubating the second clutch myself is the only damn chance the eggs have, but my parents are too freaking blind to see that. I always listen when they say 'you've done all you can just leave them now blablahblahblah bullcrap continues etc.', even when I know there's more I could be doing, and guess what? The birds always die! Woah! Who could have guessed that?!
Me.
If they gave me one bloody chance and I turned out to be wrong, then who cares! The bird was gonna die anyway! But they never give me that chance! It's always nooo, we're not going to try something that might work! We're going to keep going with the thing that fails every. single. time. because that's obviously the best bet they have!!
BULLCRAP ARE YOU FOR REAL
      No, no, it's not childish at all! I'm so sorry your parents think the eggs are replaceable. I'm guessing you guys don't have an incubator, but you could probably make one from a cardboard box and a heat lamp--I hope you can convince them to at least try and save the eggs. Maybe go to quail-care sites about what to do if nests are abandoned, and show them? I wish I could give you a hug, but we live in different hemispheres. Good luck!
No, we don't, but I'm sure we've warmed eggs on the hot-water-cylinder before? But box + heat-lamp doesn't sound like a bad idea, actually! Thanks; what with your ideas and Wren's, I think I've got more of a battle-plan now, hehe. Aw, thank you man <33
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:06 pm

^^ first of all, that really sucks and I hope you find a way to save the eggs and/or convince your parents to try!
also I have had friends who raised chicken eggs in a box with a heat lamp and they hatched and all are doing well to this day so if possible I think that'd be worth a shot!

sending you my best wishes <3
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 pm

WalkingContradiction wrote:^^ first of all, that really sucks and I hope you find a way to save the eggs and/or convince your parents to try!
also I have had friends who raised chicken eggs in a box with a heat lamp and they hatched and all are doing well to this day so if possible I think that'd be worth a shot!

sending you my best wishes <3
Oh wow, that's really cool!
I managed to have a proper conversation with Mum, and got some actual answers, thank goodness. She told me she feels we don't have enough room at the moment for an incubator, or sufficient resources to care for chicks. I mentioned something about putting one in the sleep-out when it's been cleared, though, and she didn't mind the idea! It won't happen soon enough to save these eggs, unfortunately, but the fact that she agreed sounds promising for further clutchs; hopefully one day I'll be able to share a successful story with you guys!
It's still disappointing that after twenty eggs we only got one chick, but knowing that Mum and Dad have legitimate reasons for not doing anything with the eggs (because they were implying 'nah, I can't be bothered' really well) removes a lot of my frustration. Hopefully the chick makes it through to adulthood!

Aw, thanks man; 'preciate it <33
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 22tabby » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Keep us updated with the chick still!
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
being a sheep leads to boredom, being a wolf leads to loneliness. one must choose their fate carefully.
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
No one will change the person
I am. The person I've become.
And none should try to. Ever.

──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
Coding by косатка.
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

"what i do is temporary, but what i leave behind is forever." - Markiplier
22tabby

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Tuesday, October seventeenth, 2017

Late afternoon:

So... Baby's dying. He or she's been going downhill for awhile, and now it's sprawled on its back, eyes shut, beak doing that gaspy-thing that sick birds do; kicks ineffectually when touched. Um. I'll try give you a coherent list of what actually went down today, but yeah... Does anyone want one last photo, or...?
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Oh:( I'm sorry Ranger. That must be rough.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Pyjaks wrote:Oh:( I'm sorry Ranger. That must be rough.
Yeah, it is pretty stink ): These guys are a tragedy worthy of Shakespeare, gosh XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 am

Man that sucks I'm really sorry for you it must be rough... it is nice though that there's hope for future clutches <3
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AuraDragoness » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 am

Ranger of the North wrote:I would. Both nests have been abandoned now, and incubating the second clutch myself is the only damn chance the eggs have, but my parents are too freaking blind to see that. I always listen when they say 'you've done all you can just leave them now blablahblahblah bullcrap continues etc.', even when I know there's more I could be doing, and guess what? The birds always die! Woah! Who could have guessed that?!
Me.
If they gave me one bloody chance and I turned out to be wrong, then who cares! The bird was gonna die anyway! But they never give me that chance! It's always nooo, we're not going to try something that might work! We're going to keep going with the thing that fails every. single. time. because that's obviously the best bet they have!!
BULLCRAP ARE YOU FOR REAL

Some people just don't understand that the eggs are no different than a human baby, if you or the parents don't take care of them then they'll die.

How about you don't listen to them for once? Tell them to let you TRY and incubate the eggs and see what happens. If the baby dies then the egg was doomed but if they hatch then you'll have proven them wrong.

I hope that you can incubate any future clutches. (even if you have to do it in secret, though that's probably not a good idea if your parents are that adamant about not letting you)

22tabby wrote:Did you actually touch the eggs when getting the eggshell? From what I know, a bird will abandon their nest if people touch them? But those are like... completely wild birds so this could be different.

This isn't actually true, its a myth to ensure that people don't disturb nests belonging to wild birds. The parents will return to the egg (or the baby) even if it was touched by a human, however that doesn't mean people should be going around touching and handling wild bird hatchlings and eggs.

However, it may hold true depending on the personal behavior of the parents.
🐦 ♥ Rest in peace my sweet little Rainbow ♥ 🐦
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AuraDragoness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 22tabby » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 am

Oh! I wasn't aware that wasn't true. It held true with a bay squirrel I saved, at least. His mother even came up to him (he was still hairless and unable to even walk well) but when she was close enough to sniff him she like ran off with a very strange threatening noise.
being a sheep leads to boredom, being a wolf leads to loneliness. one must choose their fate carefully.

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
No one will change the person
I am. The person I've become.
And none should try to. Ever.

──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

x
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────
Coding by косатка.
──────────────────
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
██████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──────────────────

x

"what i do is temporary, but what i leave behind is forever." - Markiplier
22tabby

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me