❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby Arya22 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:16 am

@everyone that helped me

Thanks everyone!
I'll see what I can do, then of course I'll show you guys first so you can see what you think.

I still have no idea for a plot. Oh well...
Bookworm | she/her | bi & demisexual
I am Arya22 and I'm a female who likes reading
Pm me to chat about anything at all!
Signature coded by Amburned. Thank you!!
Arya22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:18 am

@CJ Like pretty much everyone else, I'll try - but I can't promise mine will be any better than your placeholder *shrugs* :D

Question;
Code: Select all
[b]How do you work around writing a character that's completely different from you (Or even a little bit different, something along those lines)?[/b]
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:19 am

How do you work around writing a character that's completely different from you (Or even a little bit different, something along those lines)?
Well, I make a big long list of characteristics, personality traits, what they might do when impatient/upset/angry/pensive, that kind of thing, and then kinda pretend that those describe me so I become the character? If that makes any sense at all. c:

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arya22 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am

How do you work around writing a character that's completely different from you (Or even a little bit different, something along those lines)?

Not quite sure what you mean with that, but I quite enjoy writing with different characters.
Sometimes what I wish I was like, or what I like in other people...
For example I love the kind of 'independent, Stubborn, strong willed' personality, and although I am very far from it, I use it quite a lot!
Arya22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:26 am

I tend to find it quite difficult. I've never been very good with empathy, so understanding how other people act and think is really difficult for me which is why I try to make most of my characters very similar to me or to people I know quite well. For example in my novel, Starla is very similar to me (introverted, shy but happy around those she loves); Maddie is very similar to my best friend (extroverted, loud and confident); and Sean will be similar to my brother (cocky and very sporty).
I think I have to know people in real life who have the specific traits to write the characters well.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Klain » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:45 am

I'm really bad in it, but I have some storys (one lol) where it turns out pretty good. I'm so proud of this story. But when I tried it in others it doesn't turn out pretty good. I mean: I CAN'T EVEN WRITE FROM A MALE VIEW XD
Klain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arya22 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 am

@klain
Don't worry, it's exactly the same. All my heroes in my stories are female, I basically only roleplay females too. I just can't do males.
Arya22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CJClaire » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am

Arya22 wrote:@claire
They didn't have any stories before I joined, do I can't exactly look at those.

But I'm horrible at writing humor!
I prefer action, fantasy... Would students prefer something in a normal high school for example or something in an invented world?
Thanks anyway!

For the story title, I need to read the story or at least know what it's about!

Ahh, that can be hard, yeah! And yeah, humor is hard. I think that you can probably do a mix of both things, like one week write a fantasy setting, and the next write a realistic setting? If you are the first doing it though, you probably have freedom to do whatever you want really!

I would definitely ask people what they are interested in seeing though! But also write something you like writing!

And thanks everyone! I just wanted to ask before I posted a big summary. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Here's an overview:
Ben was born with magic, and he finds out when his uncle tells him that he is magical as well. But his mother doesn't like magic, so he starts learning in secret (which is hard because his only resource is his uncle, who he only sees once a year). Anyway, his mother finds out and yells at him, so Ben (being stubborn and rash) runs away to live with his uncle in the city.
From then on, Ben finds out that the city was a lot different then he imagined, and that a lot more people had magic than he thought. He learns about the fae, and his uncle warns him of them, especially of the sidhe lord of the big fae court in the city (The High Court)
Anyway, Ben's an idiot so he manages to get himself into a debt with the High Court and is saved by a selkie named Rin and her court of fae. There's essentially a big conflict between the two courts and Ben's uncles' Circle of witches, and Ben managed to get himself in the middle of it all.

That's kind of the summary of the whole story (sorry that its so long) but also very very vague because there is a lot going on haha!

My current title is The High Courts, which I feel doesn't really match the story as much as I'd like, and also sounds kind of boring...

Any suggestions would be nice!! Thanks everyone!!
Hi! I'm CJ! I use she/her pronouns. I'm an adult.
I play ice hockey!
i'm working on publishing a YA urban fantasy novel, and am looking for beta readers, lmk if you are interested :3

toyhou.se
artfight
Art Shop
art instagram
CJClaire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:15 am

All of my characters have at least one trait that they share with me, so...
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 am

So, so much research! I'm one of those people who loves characters more than anything else in my writing and the writing of others, so I try to make everyone as realistic as possible. If I'm writing someone of a marginalized race or ethnicity, I'll follow blogs by people of those races/ethnicities, study their history, et cetera--this is often more of an excuse to not write than anything else, though.

Are you better at writing silly or serious things?
    Serious things, definitely. When I try to translate my bitter, pessimistic sarcasm into writing, I start to sound like some wannabe Kurt Vonnegut. Plus, I get much more involved in my serious stories than my funny ones.

Tea wrote:only because I want Sergiu to flirt in his native
tongue just to confuse people, it would be really funny.

M'lady, this is flipping hilarious and I hope you go through with it.

Arya wrote:Alright, I need some real help now.
I'm in my school's journalism club since a week, and we publish a small journal every month or so.
And I'm supposed to be writing short stories for them.

What kind of things interest students aged 12-17?

What is a 'newspaper story' writing style?

A "newspaper story" writing style? I think it's really succinct--short sentences, very little description, no droning. I'm not sure you should ask us what interests kids 12-17--ask the people who will be reading! Or just observe. What do the Black girls talk about as opposed to the White girls? What interests "the average girl"; what interests "the average boy"? What genres of books and movies do most people see to be reading/watching?
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me