{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby elizabethhher » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 pm

how do you write the death of a really good character?
    i hate writing death scenes for my mc's and the side characters that i like.
    when i do write them, however, i sort of make it quick, but i make them a bit confusing (not too confusing), but to the point where the reader doesn't know exactly what happened, but they understand the character died. then, i explain the death in full detail later on. sort of weird, but to the people who i've showed the death parts that i've written, it's different and they understand it.

How do you make it dramatic?
    i sorta explained that above cx
    but, like, if i some times draw out the deaths. like, you know it's coming, but you don't know when or how (and sometimes i don't kill off the character they think i will ^-^)

Quick you have ten minutes to write the death scene of your favorite character Tris!
    hahaha
    no.
    don't read this. like seriously, don't. > i see what you did there and i didn't like it one bit
elizabethhher

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby iWonder » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Speaking of death of good characters... I just finished the fourth chapter of my book and personally I wanted to cry.
If you felt anything of the sort let me know, this needs to be dripping with emotion. Here we go.

I am now opening Commissions and Art-Trades for a limited time!
PM me on DA for more info and offers!
I do: Anthro, Human, Portraits, Character Design, Fan Art,
Animals, Ponies, Species Design*, Contest Art*
(for adoptions on CS)
-Cheers, Tenna M. N.

** PM Machenza on Deviant Art for more info.

+++I Accept CS$, Deviant Art Currency and Art-Trades.+++
iWonder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ailurophile. » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Uhh hello here. I was lucky kitten but then I have cganged my username... So I'm just here to get this thread marked. c:
ailurophile.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WilloweWolf » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:29 am

I feel utterly lost...
➹WilloweWolf / Willowe, Wolf, WW / here / yes, always
(Dreamer is NOT for trade.)
For those who haven't read my interests, this is a shared account. My little sis is on more often than me, so don't be surprised if I don't know you.

The only thing I horde is LOTR stamps
Image Image ImageImageImageImageImage
WilloweWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sleipnir » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 am

I've got some questions!

So I'm trying to better develope my characters because I realized that more often than not, characters have NO LIVES outside the plot. Maybe that's just because people think you need to cut out everything not related to the plot, but to me that feels like it dehumanizes characters - even if they're doing something plot related, shouldn't outside interests show up?

So here's my thing. I'd like to start making lists of hobbies and other stuff my characters enjoy since I suffer this problem. It only occurred to me because one character of mine kept "accumulating" his own interests.

What kind of questions should I ask other than "favorite hobbies?" Any ideas?
Sleipnir

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shade. » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 am

Not a new member, but a new thread! (:
shade. / just call me Shade / Over Pm (it's not posted on cs) / Yes
she/them
writing is everything
shoot me a pm c:

░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║
░║

-
ImagexxImage
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
║░
shade.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:20 am

What kind of questions should I ask other than "favorite hobbies?" Any ideas?

I always find understanding a character's motivation and role in the plot helps. Good questions to ask are: what are their immediate motivations? And what are their long term goals? So basically, what are they trying to achieve throughout the plot? And the second question is asking what they hope to achieve after the plot. Maybe they want to go to school to be a doctor, but their immediate goals are to stop the zombie apocalypse from happening. XP Immediate motivations - ones that drive the plot forward, are usually the more important.

Also seemingly conflicting interests/hobbies/morals are always fun: I have a character who loves collecting and working with swords, but is a pacifist who would never hurt anyone - which is especially odd given his profession and the era he lives in. But having that inner conflict immediately creates interest and brings up further questions you can ask a character.

But I actually completely agree with you in that it should feel as if characters have a life outside the plot. As well as giving them hobbies, you can give them relationships. Who are the people they hang out with daily? Parents, friends, co-workers, etc. How do they feel about them? If possible, have them interact with a character they are familiar with, or if that's not possible, reminisce on one, or talk about one. Also if they aren't hanging out with their usual friends and family, have a reason why.

That's all I can think of for now. Hobbies and interests are a good jumping off point for making a character more then just a "blank slate". Don't be afraid to explore other tangents as you come up with them, such as figuring out how a character got into a certain hobby.
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby watermelon. » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:45 am

Please read the members list on the front page.

DO NOT POST FORMS YET.
[wear a mask] [she/her/hers]
[feel free to dm me]
watermelon.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby elf_of_the_hollow » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:18 am

Not a member *yet*, but couldn't resist posting

how do you write the death of a really good character?
Although normally I refrain from writing death scenes (with me it's 'presumed dead' scenes) I enjoy writing it with suspense, and maybe a quick change at the end where a different character dies instead of the one who was going to die.

how do you make it dramatic?
Adding a lot of little details, but not so many that it's too drawn on. Also, having another person there, family, friend, loved one, or even the attacke r can really heighten the drama.

Quick you have ten minutes to write the death scene of your favorite character Tris!

Cris wasn't quite sure what to do. Her little baby girl was dying...

"Mommy?" Swirl asked, as Cris wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Yes dear?" She asked back

"Will I see Phlox in heaven?" The sweet little child asked
After pausing for a few moments Cris answered

"...yes, of course you will. You'll see Phlox and her parents and..."
She paused again
"Your parents..." Cris finished, feigning a smile.

"Mommy..." Swirl started in a low whisper "I...love...you..."

The words were barely out when Swirl's heart beat slowed to a stop. Cris dropped her smile, her eyes swelling with tears, throwing herself halfway over the hospital bed to sob. She bolted upright as she heard the door click.

"Excuse me miss...they told me I could find my friend here. Swirl...Rainbow Swirl."

Cris walked forward, holding her tightly between her arms. She knew this was Phlox. She held on. She would never let go, ever again.
[ raine/elf ] • [ any pronouns ] • [ my kals ]
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
elf_of_the_hollow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dylan Klebold » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:21 am

So, since I'm plannin a writing project (which I will link later), what do you do to plan projects like this?

I write ideas for each chapter on a piece of paper uvu
Dylan Klebold

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me