{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby minimire » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:23 pm

comments are welcome on the thread (:

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:56 pm

hey do u guys have any idea how to like... get your inspiration to write back

i've tried like prompts and stuff but nothing's really Clicked?? i havent written since 2015 i think when i wrote a 70page thing for nano,
    realised at the end how bad it was, kinda lost all confidence and i've only written one short story since then

i've tried entering writing comps but i'm afraid of failure bc like...i've only entered one in my life and came 2nd out of a lot of entries and i don't wanna like break that i guess

i know i should just Write but it's kinda difficult and i really don't feel like doing anything but i'd love to write again (whenever i try i end up writing the same intro 20 times and giving up)
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fg05281 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 am

acaycia wrote:

i've tried like prompts and stuff but nothing's really Clicked?? i havent written since 2015 i think when i wrote a 70page thing for nano,
    realised at the end how bad it was, kinda lost all confidence and i've only written one short story since then

i've tried entering writing comps but i'm afraid of failure bc like...i've only entered one in my life and came 2nd out of a lot of entries and i don't wanna like break that i guess

i know i should just Write but it's kinda difficult and i really don't feel like doing anything but i'd love to write again (whenever i try i end up writing the same intro 20 times and giving up)

What works for me is to read other people's work. I read one line and it gives me enough to write. Also, i find that writing on a computer works for editing, but to write paper pencil for a first draft. I dont know why, but i think that it is because it makes you not want to go back and edit so much. That can really mess you up. But thats all i got for you, sorry.
fg05281

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby starstuff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:10 am

acaycia wrote:

First things first, don't lose faith in your ability to write. You will only pull yourself down! What I would do to gain inspiration is read other's work whether it be poetry, short stories, etc. See if that can spark something in your mind and adjust that idea to be able to write it! I know, I am making things seem simple but this helps me get inspired on what to write and I hope it helps you too.

Another way of getting an idea to write again is to think of stories you have read in your past. I can name a whole bunch right now: the Harry Potter series, The Hobbit, Percy Jackson, books by John Green. And those are only a speck of the heap of books I have enjoyed reading. Do this from what you have read and think about the storylines. Do you like a happy ending, a tough journey of a hero, an adventure, or perhaps a sad tale? See what kind of story you feel like creating. There are so many things to write about. And keep in mind it doesn't have to be a short story! Writing poems, songs, or other things is still a way to express your creativity.

I really hope this helped! Happy writing <3
ミ☆ she/her, art student, enfp
starstuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 am

@Py
    Thanks for linking them!

acaycia wrote:

You don't need inspiration to write; you just need to stop thinking about the quality of my work. I used to hate everything I wrote. I'd stop halfway through, delete it, and hate myself for being such a terrible writer. Once I decided that it wasn't getting me anywhere, I started writing again. I wrote, and I didn't look back at any of it. I still hate my writing, but now I finish things.

Just write. It doesn't matter what. Describe the chair you're sitting in or write about the strangest thing that's happened to you recently, find writing prompts online or script an episode to a cheesy sitcom. Create the one story that's been in your head for ages, but you're too afraid to try writing it. It might be hard. That's because writing is hard, but trust me: if you work at it, you will write something that you are proud of.

Write and don't look back.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 am

acaycia wrote:

I wrote up a reply last night but then my computer crashed and it was like twelve-am so ahaha let's see if I can remember what I said Heyo, welcome along! c: Have you tried listening to music? I've found that that really helps me, when I want to write -- and I believe Py has a writing-music playlist somewhere around, right? *pokes Py* c: Secondly, JUST DO IT! MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!! lol. If you want to write, don't let anything stop you, or else it's never going to happen. And lastly, maybe you could try sharing some of your writing? See what feels best to you (sharing or keeping it private) and focus on that feeling when you're in a I-want-to-write-but-don't-want-to-write-mood XD
Hope that helped at least a little, and Good Luck, fellow writer-with-arms! omgosh sorry not
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
acaycia wrote:

I wrote up a reply last night but then my computer crashed and it was like twelve-am so ahaha let's see if I can remember what I said Heyo, welcome along! c: Have you tried listening to music? I've found that that really helps me, when I want to write -- and I believe Py has a writing-music playlist somewhere around, right? *pokes Py* c: Secondly, JUST DO IT! MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!! lol. If you want to write, don't let anything stop you, or else it's never going to happen. And lastly, maybe you could try sharing some of your writing? See what feels best to you (sharing or keeping it private) and focus on that feeling when you're in a I-want-to-write-but-don't-want-to-write-mood XD
Hope that helped at least a little, and Good Luck, fellow writer-with-arms! omgosh sorry not

DID SOMEBODY SAY WRITING MUSIC
Here is the mentioned playlist if you need it:)

And I agree with pretty much everyone else that ultimately, you have to just write. You don't have to like what you write, you don't even have to read over it or edit it or anything. Just write and write and write, even if you hate what you're writing, even if you're writing something nonsensical that you'll never give a second glance. It might not feel like it's helping, but I find that eventually, your mind just sorta snaps back into writing mode and you realize all of a sudden "woah I actually enjoy this and I'm proud of what I've written".
Also, something that helps me is watching writing related videos on YouTube, especially writing vlogs where people talk about their writing process, current works, etc. It inspires me, maybe it would help you too:0
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Aha, there we go! Thanks, Py; I have it saved on my computer, but not on my phone XP

I found a cool video last night: toodle-oo
I found it rather encouraging. So yeah~ c:

Also, I wrote a thing last night~!
So... you have no back-story, no idea who these people are, no idea what's going on (I think), and I haven't looked this over yet, haha... But anyways, it's from the same guy who 'wrote' invisible bunny-ears the small piece at the start of this post. Um. So I hope you can make heads or tails of it enjoy it, and... I'd appreciate feedback, but yeah?? Very much a WIP lol. and I still don't know if the end makes proper sense, so this is going to be fun lolol XD

xxxxxHe waited outside — for how long he didn't know — scuffing his boots in the dehydrated dust. Heat beat down rhythmically, almost forcefully, on his exposed neck. And the stillness was stifling. Uncharacteristically, the camp was hushed and quiet. Stunned and in shock. Only the sound of soft weeping broke through the thick fog in his mind.
xxxxxFinally — finally — Jerry emerged from the tent. His eyes were hollow and bloodshot; haunted; his face an icy white. As his mate walked by without a word or a glance, a stab of pain ricocheted through Jared's heart. The world was suddenly too large.
xxxxxSteeling himself, he brushed the tentflap aside and forced himself into the tent, launching forward almost too fast to stop himself.
xxxxxThe low, ragged stretcher stood alone, bearing a single body. Blood soaked his arm and chest; sweat stood out against his deathly-pale skin, and a bandage wrapped his forehead.
xxxxxThe soldier stumbled forward, dropping unsteadily to his knees and clasping the other man's limp hand in his as his eyes blurred.
xxxxxWhy did life have to be this way? It wasn't fair.
xxxxx“You'll be right, Frank,” he murmured brokenly, squeezing the limp hand. “You'll be right, I'll get you home — I'll get you home to Emmie again.”
xxxxxSuddenly Frank's eyes shot open, bleary and wild as they rolled in his head; Jared straightened, pressing an arm against the other's chest to keep him still.
xxxxx“Sh, sh, sh — you're alright. It's alright, Frankie,” he murmured soothingly, pain and fear and hope tightening his throat. “You'll be alright.”
xxxxxFrank's unfocused eyes landed on his comrade's, and he opened his mouth a few times; no sound came out.
xxxxx“Red?” he gasped finally, voice gurgling sickeningly. “That-that you, mate?”
xxxxxJared nodded and sniffed, realising only as he squeezed the feebly-twitching hand that his cheeks were wet.
xxxxx“Yeah — yeah, it's me,” he affirmed gruffly. “It's me, mate; it's me, Frankie.” A brief, watery smile worked its way across Jared's face before wavering away.
xxxxx“I-I need — I did — I-I drew — you need to — promise me!” Frank's throat and lungs sounded full of phlegm, and Red felt his heart sink like a stone to the toes of his boots.
xxxxx“Of course — anything, mate — anything.”
xxxxx“I — I need you — to — to-to-to — to — ” Frank's hands scrabbled desperately at his jacket-pocket and Jared lunged forward, restraining his friend.
xxxxx“Hang on, mate, I'll get it for ya.” It was hard — so, so hard, to sound cheerful; to be reassuring; to not sink in the swamp of pain and grief and bitter hatred. Bitter everything. And hold himself together. But he had to. And he was.
xxxxxAll he found in Frank's pocket was paper — but it was worth a-thousand times its weight in gold.
xxxxx“T-take it — for... me. To... to — to Gerald — Geraldine Mcmill...”
xxxxx“A new one, huh, Frankie?” Red grimaced in amusement. “But 'Mcmill' — that's not a name; Geraldine who?...” The words died in his throat as he glanced at the other man.
xxxxxExpressionless. Cold. White. Blank.
xxxxx“Frank-Frankie? Frankie, no! NO!” Not another one — another childhood buddy —
xxxxx“Doctor!” Jared screamed — then instincts took over; the rush of adrenaline before a charge. “Medic! MEDIIIIC!!
Last edited by Ranger of the North on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby horchata » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 pm

okay thankyou sososo much for the advice everyone, will def follow through with that once busy school period is over

and @ranger of the north, yeah that's exactly what i did for the only story i've written lately! very loosely based off a song, i might post it later on?? the pacing is a bit weird though

and @pyjaks thank you so much for suggestion! bookmarked n listening rn i really like it
a gardener told me some plants move
───────
libra - hufflepuff - infp
forum game!

───────
but i could not believe it

horchata

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes