{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Do you hold a particular character close to your heart? Why/why not?
All of the main characters for one of my stories. Because I've just been with them so long and I just am constantly turning them over, putting them in new situations, learning about them but knowing about them too. They're one of the few things I actually have control over.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NopesaurusRexx » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 am

Greenleaf wrote:Hello, everyone! :) Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before? I'm interested in taking a look at the genre but don't really know where to begin. I've heard there are some programs out there to help one write in the format, but I don't believe I've ever actually met a writer of that genre before.

I have written a few for class and will be writing two more this fall for a class. Trelby is a great program to use for it. It was actually suggested in my screenwriting class.

I have a couple that I do. One is Ylva, a wolf I came up with in 2008, so she has been with me for a long time.

"You wanna make yourself useful?"
"Not particularly."

ALL PETS IN THE GROUPS MARKED TRADE GROUP ARE CURRENTLY FREE
NopesaurusRexx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 am

My iPad refreshed and deleted my whole post, so let's try this again, lol.

Thank you all for your answers! I might be attending a scriptwriting course this summer so I'm pretty excited to learn a new style of writing. :D

@Ranger: That's really well-written! The last line really rings true. War is so often romanticized in literature and the media to a really sad extent.

I'm fond of my OC Aihua simply because I've had him for a long time and he's developed a lot. One of my Warriors OCs, Swanpaw, has also been with me for a good few years and he's probably my most used roleplay character, so I'm pretty fond of him, as well, lol.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Casifer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:49 am

Hiya! If you could review my story on wattpad @ maya_bee_so that'd be really cool! It's not the most original, YET! *rubs hands together* but just wait
Casifer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bee buzz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Heyo friendos.

So, my writing tends to lend itself to an older audience - mid/late teens to adults. But I'd like to try my hand at a book series focusing on younger teens (think like Baby Sitters Club). Have you guys ever stepped out of your comfort zone in writing? How did you approach it?

Also, thought I'd say something about it, but I found this really nifty little app for smart phones called Character Planner that really helps to lay out characters and worlds and stories. idek it's s00per cool

twitter || TH
not presently taking art commissions!
add me on ACNH: SW-8547-7624-6980
add me on duolingo: beezare

I speak English || я говорю по-русский

bee buzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Megaguirus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi, I know I don't post often, but I'd like to share a short story I conjured up last night. It's been rewritten once, and edited a little. I'd like some critique on it, if you don't mind. Just don't be too harsh, this story is very close to my heart and based on truth.

The Visitor
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Greenleaf wrote:~snip~

@Ranger: That's really well-written! The last line really rings true. War is so often romanticized in literature and the media to a really sad extent.

~snip~
Thank you so much! :D Hehehe. Yeah, and I have a really bad bad? maybe. Idek. problem with doing that in my own head, tbh... It always sounds like a good idea to charge into battle guns blazing... Anzac Day is kinda spent with me trying to work through everything, ha. That's also what this was ^^ I figure that maybe if I put a character through living hell like that I'll understand a bit better c: cx

Megaguirus wrote:Hi, I know I don't post often, but I'd like to share a short story I conjured up last night. It's been rewritten once, and edited a little. I'd like some critique on it, if you don't mind. Just don't be too harsh, this story is very close to my heart and based on truth.

The Visitor
I'll check it out! c:

Also, guys, I think my lil sister would really appreciate some reads/comments on her story over on Writers' Haven, if you don't mind taking a few minutes to do so! c:
(her profile on CS is here, too)
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Musicality » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:11 pm

So... I really want to write a short heartbreak story (Like a fight and break up thing) to relieve some of the events of today but I can't figure where I want them to be or anything like that..'''

Edit:
I'm going to try my best to go through and read and critique (maybe) some of the stuff above and actually get some writing done. However, it's almost midnight and I've had a long day..
❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
I adore cats, musicals (esp. If/Then),
singing, and chatting it up with new people!

Hey everyone! I'm Musicality!
I used to be "The Succulent Queen". <3

❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊❃❊
Musicality

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:34 am

deer-spit wrote:Heyo friendos.

So, my writing tends to lend itself to an older audience - mid/late teens to adults. But I'd like to try my hand at a book series focusing on younger teens (think like Baby Sitters Club). Have you guys ever stepped out of your comfort zone in writing? How did you approach it?

Also, thought I'd say something about it, but I found this really nifty little app for smart phones called Character Planner that really helps to lay out characters and worlds and stories. idek it's s00per cool

I'm a younger teen with little experience writing; I don't have a defined comfort zone yet. I think I'm in the age group you're trying to write for (younger than 15?), so maybe I could tell you a bit about what people in my English class are reading.

-Read books written for the age group you're trying to write for, e.g., the Divergent series, Hunger Games, Selection series, Matched series.
I hate them, but a lot of the girls my age like them. If you're going for the biggest audience, these are books worth studying.

-What is your target audience reading?
I'm not sure which age the Baby Sitters Club series was written for, but I read it between the ages of 6 and 8. Dystopia and realistic fiction seem to be popular with my age group. Some of us, however, are reading Vonnegut, fewer are reading Orwell, and about two people have read Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns). The "advanced readers" aren't outliers--we make up maybe a quarter of the class--but you should probably ignore us when trying to write teen fiction.

-Try looking for blogs and online polls on what younger teens are reading; think about diversity in your writing.
As I said, lots of formulaic dystopian fiction and some less formulaic realistic fiction with sub-par character development. Most of our books, if not all, feature straight, White, privileged, cisgender, teenage girls. This seems to be the reason why a lot of the Black/Latinx girls and boys in my classes don't like reading--lack of representation--so at least consider writing a POC protagonist.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:28 am

Pretty much any super old character of mine. The first character I ever made was a German shepherd named Ranger (lol) and even though he's very, very retired nowadays, I still have a special place in my heart for him. He was my first lil babie.
Others include a ridiculous Mary Sue elf named Eli and her love interest, another Mary Sue elf named Brent XD I still write one shots with them from time to time, albeit in their upgraded, non Mary Sue form.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me