{ INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: { INKLINGS v.4 } A Thread For Writers

Postby Megaguirus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 am

Pick some characters. What are their personality types?

Dante - ENFP-T
Nightshade - ISTJ-T
Dave - ISTP-A
Spiny - INFP-T

Huh, that was actually quite fun. The descriptions seemed to fit them, too. I knew Spiny would have my personality type, I created him out of a toy when I was just a kid, so we kind of grew up together. He's a little more of a leader, and a little less introverted, but we're very much the same. I also knew Dante would be an extravert, he's quite the friendly little bugger. Doing those quizzes were a little tricky though when we came to the cosplay bit or the email bits, which none of my characters could relate to XD.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am

@Thoughts
    I rarely include thoughts in my stories--I don't know, something about them just irks me for no particular reason--but when I do, it's always italicized.
Nitro Indigo wrote:On a related note, I don't like how some books, such as Harry Potter, don't format thoughts at all.

Yes! Especially when the thoughts are really long; it's so disorienting.
Moonblaze-Angel wrote:Thought coding helps. My biggest complaint, though, would be writing in a play style. It's awful and you can't get into the writing.

Ack, I've written scripts once or twice and it's quite irritating. It did teach me some lessons about dialogue/giving my characters unique voices, though!
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silverhart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:31 am

That stone is pretty, he thought.

Would be the correct way of conveying a person's thoughts. I have never seen it represented any other way in a modern publication.

Typically I use single quotation marks with italics if a character is speaking in a nonverbal way, but still communicating to another person, rather then holding an inner monologue. So for example, if a character is speaking telepathically, or expressing themselves with body language, I would write: 'That stone is pretty.'

I have seen single (and double) quotation marks used when a character is basically monologuing in their head for long paragraphs, or when the entire book is in the character's voice (because who wants to read paragraphs of italicized text?), but I've only seen this in older books. It doesn't seem many modern books use long monologues, so using quotation marks on short inner thoughts would only cause confusion in that case.

The most important thing is just for a writer to be consistent on how they represent inner thoughts. As long as you're consistent, and people can understand what you're saying, there's nothing wrong with bending the "rules".
Silverhart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello, everyone! :) Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before? I'm interested in taking a look at the genre but don't really know where to begin. I've heard there are some programs out there to help one write in the format, but I don't believe I've ever actually met a writer of that genre before.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scoopyfrog » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Greenleaf wrote:Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before?

I wrote a play that was sort of a reverse fairytale, about a princess who rescued a prince. It won a gold medal in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. I didn't use any special program, though, I just wrote it on Microsoft Word. The important thing is to make sure you note entrances and exits, scene changes, describe what's going on onstage, etc. Sometimes directors will change or write in things that aren't there, though.
I love collecting critters <3

- Magistream -
ImageImageImageImageImage

- Dragcave -
ImageImageImageImageImage
scoopyfrog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pyjaks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Greenleaf wrote:Hello, everyone! :) Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before? I'm interested in taking a look at the genre but don't really know where to begin. I've heard there are some programs out there to help one write in the format, but I don't believe I've ever actually met a writer of that genre before.

I'd love to see some answers to this!! I've never written any scripts but I have sooo much fun reading them.
Pyjaks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blackbird. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 pm

ah i feel like i've missed so much!

for thoughts, i use italics and single quotation marks: 'like so', i thought.

and before i talk about my characters, can i just say that i personally enjoyed reading about all of yours? i just find it so interesting!
      some of my characters:
        aliya - isfp/hufflepuff
        philipp - intj/gryffindor
        linh mai - esfj/hufflepuff
        eyden - istj/slytherin
      i actually haven't used aliya on this site before but she's the protagonist of my newest story which i'm working on now (and i hope to begin posting it soon!)

Greenleaf wrote:Hello, everyone! :) Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before?.

yes, actually, i have! last year a couple of my friends and me put up an original school musical production and i was part of the writing team for it. it was a really fun and enriching experience and if anyone is interested in that kind of stuff, i'd encourage it whole-heartedly! c:
blackbird.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Greenleaf wrote:Hello, everyone! :) Out of curiosity, have any of you ever written scripts or plays before? I'm interested in taking a look at the genre but don't really know where to begin. I've heard there are some programs out there to help one write in the format, but I don't believe I've ever actually met a writer of that genre before.

No. But I've been told I should write a skit, so the person could use it at a Bible program. But I haven't really had any ideas for such a thing.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 am

(Note that the only "play" I've ever made was for a third-grade puppet show; take any advice I give you on this with a grain of salt.)
I'm not what anyone would call a script writer, but you don't need a fancy program. Just do something like this:

Nia: oh look a dog
Hugh: wow I like dogs
Nia: dogs are cool
They walk across the stage and have a swordfight.
Nia: ow
They exit to the right of the stage; scene change.

Please don't write anything that terrible, but still: you could script an entire play on Chicken Smoothie if you wanted to.
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Hey guys! I wrote a little thing at a quarter past eleven at night last night! What d'you guys think of it? c:

xxxxxPeople seem to be of the mindset that war is heroic and noble---the age-old battle between good and evil fought by self-sacrificing soldiers.
xxxxxIn the movies, it's depicted in an almost dream-like state; during the first charge, time seems to slow. Explosions rock the camera, but the men push bravely on; a few comrades fall, but they fall knowing their sacrifice was for home. You watch as the heroes overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to win the day and return home beloved by all.

Let me tell you now, war isn't like that.

It's horrifyingly real.

Also~~~
Code: Select all
[b]Do you hold a particular character close to your heart? Why/why not?[/b]
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups