❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby winged-backpack » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:11 am

Have any of you started writing something that turned out larger than you had originally planned on?

Actually, the short story I started yesterday that was going to be 4/5 pages long is turning out to be nearly twice that so yeah.

Do you tend to have detailed side characters, or just ones with vague personalities? How much effort goes into the story of your non-mains?

I'll tell you when I find out. So far I haven't added any side characters to my book (and there's only 2 so far in my story). I think that it will depend on how important the side character is to the story. For example, I'm probably going to put a lot of detail into the doctor in my book, but not a lot into the assassin (both side characters, Maddie and Starla are my mains)

What's the last thing you researched for a story?

Genetic alterations and genes in general. I knew a little from my science classes, but I was interested in seeing what genotypes affect what phenotypes and how the baby born with 3 parents was made. I looked a little at human chimeras (really weird, mixing human and animal genes) and stuff like that. It was a lot of fun really, and I recommend reading up on some of it if you're interested.

Which parts of worldbuilding do you tend to focus most on? (Geography, culture, language, religion...)

I tend to set my stories on earth, so I would say geography in terms of really getting the reader to understand just where on earth they are. I set most of my stories in cultures that I'm familiar with (so generally western cultures), and I've never really looked at creating a language. There may be a little about religion in the short story I'm working on (it was a really strange nightmare so please don't psychoanalyse me if you read it when I'm done) which will be entirely fictional because I don't want to offend any religion.

By the way, welcome to the thread Badger!
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:30 am

Do you tend to have detailed side characters, or just ones with vague personalities? How much effort goes into the story of your non-mains?
It depends on how long they're in the story. If they show up briefly and don't do much more than that, then I don't tend to do much on them; but if they hang around I'll grace them with being properly developed or try to lol

Go Sparrow! You defy that brain, good on ya! XD (hope your hand gets better soon! ohmygoshInearlyTypedBrainInsteadOfHand)

When/if you make up a language, do you just whip it all up as you go, or do you take already existing words and mix them up with other words (made up or not)?
I've just been creating them randomly, lol. I have taken a lot of inspiration from Maori, though, because it's the only language I know fairly-decently-ish but I'm learning more! And it's awesome! fiiiiiinaaaaaallyyyyyy

Rini wrote:
Hi everybody! It's my first time here, so I'm a little late on discussions.
You all seem lovely! <3

Do you tend to have a lot of characters in a story, or just a few mains?

Personally, I choose to have a few main characters... you couldn't tell by the number of OCs I have though.
I swear it's just because I can't finish a story and keep starting new ones

Btw, I saw a discussion earlier about making comic / manga pages. That's an idea that's been going through my mind for the past few days... every time I do something remotely comedic I'm tempted to draw it up into a page of panels. Like standalone pages, or a series lol. But god forbid my laziness....
Kia ora, welcome along! Good to see you here~ c: Looks like the others warned you about the evil C-root, so I won't bother c;

badger., wrote:➥ marking!
i always loved writing, and i think this thread will be great for me !
nice to meet y'all <3
Welcome along! c: Watch out for carrots ! o.o

Have any of you started writing something that turned out larger than you had originally planned on?
I'm not sure if I've added to stuff way past what I'd originally planned my brain isn't working, did that even make SENSE?? *cries* but several dream-stories have turned out longer than I'd expected... Because I didn't dream in any filler, so I had to add it manually... Thanks a lot, lazy brain. lol

BucketORandomness wrote:@Ranger, love the new Google. You get really great results with this new update! ;)
I know, eh. I didn't get pages and pages and pages of contradicting results, and the responses were interesting! :o

Which parts of worldbuilding do you tend to focus most on? (Geography, culture, language, religion...)
Culture first, language second. I think... It really depends, actually. If I'm creating kingdoms or something I'll do geography first, so I know where boundries and towns are, but if someone's exploring the... unexplored regions, then cUltUre! Cultures are super interesting ;D

*Bad Wolf* wrote:What's the last thing you researched for a story?
Umm.... aside from Doctor Who character wiki pages? Probably trying to find a flower. I found a really cool one... Can't exactly remember what it was like tho... can you Ranger?
Umm... Was it... a lily? Or something? You wanted a happy memory, but it meant something sad... or something... right? Or was it the other way around?
No. XD No, I can't XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby anxious ghost » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:20 pm

@badger welcome! Stay away from carrots.

Not really.

History, probably. A little geography. Some religion.
╔════════════════════╗
ghost // they/it
nonbinary // queer
ghostkin // otherkin

just a gay lil ghost
not very active anymore

sig by me
╚════════════════════╝
anxious ghost

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BucketORandomness » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Does setting in general count? I like playing in fantasy worlds, so I have to decide time, place, and the physical aspects of a lot of different areas. That's almost my favorite part about writing for worlds that don't exist >^.^<

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

It's nowhere near ready for posting on or starting, but what do you guys think of this? c: Does it look interesting? Do you have questions or concerns or ideas, or anything? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to reply on this thread not sure if it's exactly on-topic *oops*
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DeMaizu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Kalopsian wrote:What's the last thing you researched for a story?
Names of flowers. I decided to name all the characters in my latest story after flowers, then decided the world it's set in has no concept of gender. These are perfectly reasonable decisions on their own, except for the small problem that it's really hard to name characters who aren't female after flowers, and since none of the characters are female, I need to find non-gendered flower names. For every single character. No matter how minor. This was a terrible plan but I refuse to go back.

Ooh, that reminds me of a thing I did a while back where there are genders, but there aren't any gender-typical/specific clothes. There's a whole buttload of gender-typical jewelry, but other than that, clothes don't really say much about you. Gender-wise, anyway.

Dude, *snorts* I never plan ANYTHING. They're always way longer than I mean for them to be, and they're also way shorter at the same time.

*whispers* Cultuurreee . . . .
Seriously, though, that's like my go-to. Second to that would be religion, I think, or language - or both at the same time. Then geography, because fudge maps. You know what I use for maps? The white stuff on top of tea. I ahve a picture of one somewhere, too, I can prove it. I don't know what that white stuff is called, but I don't think it's steam. Foam?
DeMaizu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AriDeZu » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm

Mostly language and geography. I suck at drawing maps, but I like to get the general idea for the layout. Kinda like what Bad Wolf said. Or I just don't draw them because I have the perfect image in my head. Language has always interested me, so I want to feature at least some words in a different language in my stories somewhere. If not my own original language.

When/if you make up a language, do you just whip it all up as you go, or do you take already existing words and mix them up with other words (made up or not)?

Well, most of the time I'll pick a root language and then smush them together or make up different words, add some pronunciations, and make a list. For example, in one of my stories I made a language called Retemen, and the word for "give" is "sukta" "I" is "ore" and like that. The root language I chose there was Japanese.

Ehmm, not really. I always have a really big picture in my head when I start a story and I expect it to go on for a long time. If anything, I start things that turn out smaller than I planned on.

Do you tend to have a lot of characters in a story or just a few mains?

I think I have a fair amount of characters in my stories, but I focus more on the mains. That makes it easier for me to write out the story and then go back and add things here and there.

That depends on what role the non-main has in the story. If they are just there to deliver a message or something and they only show up a few times, then they will be kinda vague. But if they provide shelter or food, or a place to recover, then I will make them a little more detailed.
Hi there! I love anime and manga. Mainly Fairy Tail, Psycho Pass, From Far Away, SNK, Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime, and Akatsuki no Yona.
I really like talking to other people so feel free to pm me :)
I'm open to most trades, so again, feel free to send me one :)
Image Image

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sparrow; » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 pm

With Minds of Clockwork, yes. Not only is it bigger than I expected it to be (I tend to get bored with stories after 2 or 3 chapters) I also originally planned to have 20 chapters. Now I'm writing the 15th, and I'm less than halfway through.

Whatever interests me. It really just depends on what I've been reading, studying and thinking about recently. I don't tend to focus on one thing, and things always connect with eachother. For example, the language I create depends on the geography, which will change the culture, which in turn will impact the religion. It's hard to just do one thing for me.

Badger - Welcome, and remember to avoid carrots at all costs!

Ranger - Thanks c: Honestly, my brain probably does need more help than my hand...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text
text text text text text
text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
link goes here | link goes here
link goes here | link goes here
signature credit
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
text text text text text text text text text

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparrow;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Worst Username » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:11 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
It's nowhere near ready for posting on or starting, but what do you guys think of this? c: Does it look interesting? Do you have questions or concerns or ideas, or anything? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to reply on this thread not sure if it's exactly on-topic *oops*

Ooh, it does look interesting! The only problem I can see is that it's super specific; there's not a big writer community here, and even fewer writers who would actually do it. After all of those people submitted their photos, then the challenge would be over--so it might last no more than a week. You could edit it and ask people to take a new picture every week/month that represents a certain thing, then others could write one-shots based on those photos. Does anyone have other ideas to add onto Ranger's?
yeet
The Worst Username

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SilentMelody » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:16 am

sometimes i've thought about writing a novel on chicken smoothie for people to read but...
    one, i'm not very good at coming up with ideas, and the ones i do have are pretty lame.
    two, i don't know if people would be interested or read them anyways.
    three, i'm pretty lazy and have a lot of other things to do.
    then again, it is summer and hopefully i'd have enough time to start a few chapters.
mel | adult | she/her | bi

toyhouse - silentmelody
admin/staff for dcay on cs

RBT in ABA therapy for autism
B.S. in psychological sciences

low activity, but i still check my pms!
SilentMelody

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes