the amu-het - - - - - - valley of kings

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Postby zoocyte » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:47 am

prompt C12

sahved is the pride powerhouse. her form is impressive and intimidating; she's one of the largest lions the pride has ever seen, boasting a broad and well-muscled body and a pelt strangely plain of any large scars - a testament to her skill as a fighter. not to mention the blood-colored stripes that crisscross all over her body, an unsettling allusion to some of the most violent gods of war the pride knows of. her very visage is enough to send enemies running for the hills, which makes her tally of actual, full-blown fights much shorter than others may think it to be.

there are whispers too, of her past. strips of gossip from various prides in the valley string together a murky history, one of unbridled savagery, violence and death, of a whole family of huge, brutish lions like herself who have had no qualms against reaping scores of victims in vicious conquest. sahved never entertains questions about the rumors, always refraining from confirming or denying anything.

sahved has walked her years carrying this bloodstained image the society holds of her. fear, revulsion and mistrust are the expressions she has grown to know and familiarize herself with, and as far as her pridemates can tell, she has accepted her lot in life (for all the dominion and misery it offers her).
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:05 am

prompt P28 - - - ilset

ilset is known among his peers as the 'guy-whose-heart-has-been-broken-so-hard-that-nobody-can-mend-it' or the 'jilted-lover-far-too-bitter-and-jaded-to-ever-love-again'. whenever the topic of romance comes up, he firmly establishes he has no interest in engaging in it and he is confident he will never want for it. whether he actually believes that is up for debate, as for the most part he does it out of fear of falling into the same trap, of loving and coming out of it feeling betrayed, resentful and alone.

he had eyes for a prince in his old pride. despite ilset's status as a commoner, the prince treated him as an equal and as someone worth caring about. that feeling of being wanted, especially by someone who seemed perfect in every possible way, was one that made ilset happy in a way that no other person had been able to. he was led into believing that there was a chance the prince felt the same way he did, and that hope became his downfall.

the prince had no qualms against using ilset's blind loyalty to forward his plans. when those plans went awry, the prince threw all blame on ilset. suddenly made out to be a violent, unstable criminal, ilset was cost his image, his home, his family, and his dignity. the person he had given his all to discarded him without a sliver of conscience.

ilset has not cared for anyone again in the way he did the prince. he has convinced himself that love isn't real and is just a ploy for others to use him for their own purposes. however, as much as he tries to deny it, there's still a small part of him that hopes he will find happiness with someone who loves him sincerely and wholeheartedly.

if he were to develop feelings for such a person, he'd be afraid to open up to them completely at first. after a great deal of trust is established, ilset will be happy to bring down his walls and dedicate himself fully to them.
Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:44 am

prompt D2 - - - lhan & markelle (currently NPC)

markelle rests under the roof of a rocky overhang, his body darkened by the shadows of the afternoon sun. the overhang is narrow, verging on crevice more than cave. it's a wonder how the old lion slides himself in with such ease. ease born of practice.

"sha markelle. good afternoon." lhan addresses him respectfully as he approaches. his neck awkwardly bends down to level with the laying elder. he feels a prickle of discomfort having to look down at a lion so clearly his senior. had they greeted in any other circumstance, a slight crouch in gesture of deference would have been appropriate.

shadowed eyes open in the darkness, nearly blending with the dim if not for a stray beam of sunlight offering a thoughtful glint to them.

a gravelly voice answers. "good afternoon, amun-sa-het. what brings you here?"
      markelle does not move from his spot, but looks up to meet lhan's eyes. lhan blinks slowly, glances away, then returns the eye contact.

"i apologize for waking you from your nap. there’s been...a matter with ithca and sahved again. something happened on patrol, but they refuse to talk about it. there was a fight.”

the fresh scratch on his torso aches pointedly as he flashes back to the incident. sahved returning to the stones alone from the hunt, and ithca returning an hour later. both empty-mouthed, and both bristling at the sight of each other. he remembers the bared teeth, the clawed blows exchanged...and lhan right in the middle of it.

dust at the mouth of the overhang stirs as the older lion lets out a huff.

markelle eases himself out of the overhang, almost slithering. he shakes the dust off his pelt, his markings now painting him more vividly in the warm glaze of the sun. the sun gave light to his dark gaze, but it did not lend the black waters its warmth.

”are you leader of this pride, lhan?”

i founded it. that doesn't mean i am fit to lead it. lhan felt the guilt of a scolded cub coiling in him. ”yes, sha.”

”then assert your will as one. you cannot keep coming to me as your crutch when things get difficult.”

lhan lowers his eyes. markelle’s stare remains fixed.

"you will punish them, of course - even ithca. they must learn this kind of behavior coming from adults is not acceptable." markelle scowls. "spilling blood over petty squabbling, the nerve of these two! had it gone any further..."

suddenly, there is a faraway look on the old lion's face - rekindling some faded memory.

voice a tone softer, markelle says, ”i will go with you, but i will not speak for you. think of what you have to say and the matter will pass.”

lhan is relieved he will not face the ire of his pridemates alone, not today at least.

two lions are walking back to the singing stones, one young and unsure, another old and weary.
Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 am

prompt P2 --- idrie

positive traits
    • charismatic
    • spontaneous
    • confident

negative traits
    • selfish
    • dishonest
    • unreliable
Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 am

prompt P2 --- sahved

positive traits
    • vigilant
    • calm
    • pragmatic

negative traits
    • intimidating
    • ruthless
    • proud
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:02 am

prompt P2 --- ilset

positive traits
    • loyal
    • diligent
    • caring

negative traits
    • mistrustful
    • stubborn
    • improvident
Last edited by zoocyte on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:04 am

prompt P2 --- zekele

positive traits
    • clever
    • innovative
    • friendly

negative traits
    • self-serving
    • erratic
    • lazy
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:30 am

prompt P33 --- idrie

Idrie makes promises on the fly. She makes them as more of a reassurance to whoever poor soul is naïve or desperate enough to put their trust in her. She ensures she says her promises with conviction so that at least, in the moment she binds herself to them verbally, the person asking will have a moment of relief or security. Her intention to follow up on and fulfill the promise wavers depending on her mood. If she feels like she owes the person asking or if she feels guilty enough, she may have enough motivation to spur her to action. Otherwise, she lets promises go over her head, especially if they’re simple and unimportant, like asking her to run this or that small errand.

It’s an irritating habit that deters her pridemates from relying on her too much. She’s gotten into some trouble because of her lack of commitment to keeping her word, but not enough that she knows the gravity of how she affects others that way. When confronted, Idrie will give excuses, like how she was too tired to do it, or how she got distracted doing something for someone else, or how her memory was faulty and how she’s so, so sorry she forgot to do it but next time she is absolutely sure she will not disappoint.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:35 am

prompt P9 --- zekele

Zekele values his life over everything else. Any indication that his well-being is in serious danger is enough to get him to skip and skedaddle out of wherever he is, even if his companions beckon him to stay. Their usual lax, carefree attitude can drop to a chaotic, terrified paranoia in an instant if things start to look really, really bad for them. Death and injury are some of Zekele’s greatest fears, and they’re stubbornly set on avoiding them no matter the cost. This unbridled terror he experiences any time his life is on the line makes him flaky and unreliable when his pridemates might need him most.

Zekele is both self-preserving and an opportunist. His loyalty to others is based on how useful they are to him; therefore, it is quick to break if such connections mean he is obligated to risk more than he bargained for. Those risks include being expected to engage in battle for his pride, being expected to risk his life for his pridemates in some way and being thrown into threatening situations as a result of his connection to the pride. His first instinct in these situations will always be to flee or avoid danger in whatever way is most convenient.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoocyte » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 am

prompt C14

some pride members see zekele as more a skittish nuisance than a help to the pride. their allegiance to the heart-tongues is tenuous at best. they brush off hard labor and important missions when they can, usually with the excuse that they're too tired, their body's just not strong enough to keep up with the rest, there are better suited tasks for them, or they'll do more harm than good. the very moment his pridemates take their attention off him for just a second, he will have scampered off to hide out in some secret nook or cranny only he knows of, to return only when the matter has passed.

the heart-tongues know that despite the cool exterior zekele projects, there's a lot of fear coiled up deep down that paralyzes him from acting for the benefit of anyone's welfare but his own. whatever it was in his past that hardwired him to avoid risks at all costs, it evidently affected him greatly and far beyond his control. his pridemates try to be more understanding of him at lhan's request, but it doesn't stop them from looking down on the pride's most flaky member.
zoocyte

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me