Dear mods: Please lock.

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Dear mods: Please lock.

Postby BucketORandomness » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:39 am

((Hello, everyone! If you find this story, I hope you enjoy it. Please understand, though, that I am currently deactivating. Should you desire to continue this story where I left off, please do so! I enjoyed writing it while I did, but if you look at the "news" section, it's been years since I updated it. To all my old reader, I sincerely apologize for not being able to give you a continuation of this story. If I ever try this again, it will definitely be a different story posted in a different place, so I don't mind leaving this here. If you miss me too much, I'll still be posting things on deviantart under the same username. I would link, but DA isn't exactly something that the mods here would approve of. If you do come find me, I'd love to hear from you again >^.^<))

The war everyone feared had finally struck. But when? The world had grown tired of holding back and eventually unleashed its atomic fury. Some of the more wealthy countries pooled their resources to protect their suddenly dwindling populations. This was called "Project Anti-Atom." The project modified humans in ways to possibly counteract the side effects of the atomic explosions that covered the globe's surface. It was meant to be the savior of the surviving humans who had fled underground to escape the radiation. What happens when, thousands of years later and without the war for which they were made, these projects begin to think on their own?

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Welcome 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 News 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

10 July 2017~ Chapter 10 posted
    7 July 2017~ Chapter 9 posted
    3 July 2017~ Chapter 8 posted
    2 July 2017~ Chapter 7 posted
    1 July 2017~ Chapter 6 posted
    23 June 2017~ Thread created
    24 Dec 2016~ First chapter written
xxxxxxGreetings and Salutations! This is a thread all dedicated to the story Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature ((PTEN)). This is a really important project to me, so first off, I just want to say thank you for reading it >^.^< Advice and feedback are always welcome, whether here on the thread or via PM.
xxxxxxIn other news, this is completely my brain child, but if you ever want to do anything with this, like make a character or write your own story in the world, let me know! I would love to know what else goes on in this world, and it would be cool to see what you think happens elsewhere >^.^<
xxxxxxI've finished setting up now, thank you for your patience. Feel free to post as well now >^.^<

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 Warning 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

PTEN is not set in a conformist world. Many of the characters have different views on the same issues since they come from different environments, and these views are written in context with the character's opinion. They are not my opinions, but simply keeping in character. Please keep this in mind when reading PTEN, and thank you for understanding
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 20 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Not disclosing gender or age
Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....Periodic Tales of an Elemental Nature
....More by Bucket
Open to making new friends!
It's my sig, but not my images
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Directory

Postby BucketORandomness » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:44 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🝣 Directory 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 Chapters 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 Character Files 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 Other Links 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

Last edited by BucketORandomness on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:22 am, edited 21 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Codes

Postby BucketORandomness » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:47 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Codes 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

Code: Select all
[color=#0000FF][size=200]┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3493408#p110243107]┃[/url]🝣 title here 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
[/size][/color]

[color=#800080][size=150]┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
┃🜻 title here 🜻
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
[/size][/color]

[color=transparent]xxxxxx[/color]

[center][size=150][color=#00FF00]𒃽[/color][color=#00FFFF]🜤[/color][/size][/center]

[center][size=150][color=gray]🝢[/color][/size][size=175][color=#FF0040]🜢[/color][/size][size=150][color=grey]🝢[/color][/size][/center]
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 1

Postby BucketORandomness » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:48 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Copper I 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

xxxxxx"Copper! What are you doing?! This isn't like you!" A voice cries out beside me as I drag the stumbling Noble along. He tries to stop. To pull back. To let go. I refuse, and I feel the metal around me coming alive at my touch and tying his hand to mine. "Please, Copper! Let's go back to Camp!" He isn't running. Why isn't he running?!
xxxxxx"I am going to see the sky, Noble!" I cry, heaving him forward once more, "I'm not going back to that prison!" Finally! I have enough metal! As we run, I begin constructing a framework of living metal spread out in a web-like pattern. Artificial lighting flies by as the metal starts to get the idea and begins running, Noble and I bouncing inside.
xxxxxxSirens blare behind us. I glance back through the artificial night and my flying green and blue hair. I really should have tied it before running! "IB.11-29, release your hostage, VIIIA.18-2! You are surrounded!" I look at the weight on my arm as Noble starts trying to reason with me again.
xxxxxx"Fine, Commander!" I call over my shoulder. I kindly smile at Noble for the last time and drop him as I jump. My metal becomes a springboard that catapults me towards that dark dome so far above. Shots fire beneath me. My metal becomes a shield instead. It quickly loses contact and falls toward the ground now far, far below. A lifeless slab.
xxxxxx"Noble!" I cry. It's falling right toward Noble! I have no more time to think, though. I hit the dome. The metal support beams come alive at my touch. Soon, we have rent a hole large enough to escape through, though the chase isn't over yet. Cries and gunshots follow me as I escape through the wasteland surrounding Camp, gathering the bits and pieces of scrap metal from the ground as I flee. Oh! I hope Noble is alright!

𒃽🜤

xxxxxxThe day was warm and the sun was bright as it shone through the protective webbing of the Living Orb. It seemed to Sirius that the web was a little stiffer than normal today, and he wondered about the phenomenon as he gathered in the nuts that had recently fallen from the trees at the Orb's base. Reverently, he pushed a spare piece of metal into the huge column connected to the Orb. There was some resistance at first, but then the column gave way, and it felt as if Sirius was suddenly pushing through water.
xxxxxxWhen his ancestors had first found the Orb, they had attempted to remove it from their herds' pasture. Their bullets were just absorbed, and even one of their guns became part of the Orb. Soon enough, though, another herdsman appeared and tried to fight for one of the last places left for animals after the War to Destroy Worlds. Apparently, way back then, people had bombs that could hurt long years after detonation, and because so many of them went off in the war, things on the surface were just now becoming what the history books said the world had once been.
xxxxxxParents always told their children of the terrors of too much too quickly, though most people around most of the world still thought of it as a fable. Sirius and the others in his community, though, had the Living Orb as proof of what could happen if things got too out of hand. The Orb ate metal and absorbed some other substances, then turned the concoction into a living...thing that seemed to have a mind of its own. Looking up once more at the Orb, Sirius contemplated what it could have been designed for. Probably not this, since the War had made the Orb, and all it did now was protect a valley and the surrounding mountains.
xxxxxxThe Living Orb really was a sight to behold. Supported by the main column in the center of the valley, the Orb was suspended high into the air, with large spoke-like beams of metal jutting out of it and into the surrounding mountains. Somewhere between the beams and the mountains rose a web-like wall of living metal that seemed to reach through the very heavens.
xxxxxxSirius shuddered slightly at the memory of a daring outsider who had tried to fly over the wall. The Living Orb had given off a strange whistle, the wall had bent, and a terrified pilot and been gently let down the wall, screaming something about his plane dissolving. Sometimes, the wall shudders, and more strange plastic-like scraps are found at the base of the wall as testament that more goes on beyond the clouds than what can be seen.
xxxxxxWith a quick glance around, Sirius placed his gathered supplies at the base of the main column and readied himself. Today would definitely be the day! After backing up for a running start and another cursory look around, Sirius ran at the column and leaped. He made it higher than normal, but the slick metal was impossible to get a grip on, and he soon fell to the ground below.
xxxxxxThe second try at climbing the column ended much the same way. So did the third. Sirius was about to give up when the ground vibrated briefly, and a set of rungs appeared on the column. Dumbfounded, Sirius grabbed one and tested his weight. Small metal tendrils hesitantly reached out for his hand, but they pulled back when he did. How strange.
xxxxxxA quick contemplation was not entirely forgone as Sirius climbed the ladder the Orb itself had created for him. What in the world could this mean? As far as he knew, the Living Orb had never interacted in such a way as it was now. A little more than curious, Sirius climbed. Though it was a long way up, he seemed to make it to the top of the column in no time at all. Had the Orb been helping him?
xxxxxxExhilarated as he was, Sirius now felt stuck. When he looked down, there were no more rungs to climb down, but there was nowhere left to climb when he looked up. It was in his growing panic that the Orb chimed softly above his head. A tendril snaked out from the Orb proper and cautiously felt his hand once more. Sirius knew he had no choice but to wait if he didn't want to fall to his death.
xxxxxxA moment of exploration led to a gentle but insistent pull on his hand. The rung he was holding on to began to move on its own, and the tendril gently tied his hand to it. More tendrils came out, and before he had even thought to be terrified, he was kneeling on one of the beams radiating from the Orb. The metal was still wrapped around his hand, though it felt more securing than confining.
xxxxxxCautious of sudden movement, Sirius leaned over and placed his hand carefully on the Living Orb. His eyes widened as the Orb vibrated softly, then began to give way. Was it going to eat him?! The thought made him stop his hand's movement. The metal around his skin began to heat up, then it began to flow. It wasn't the easy water consistency of absorbing metal, but more akin to syrup on a hot day.
xxxxxxTo his amazement, once the metal made it to his wrist, he felt nothing but empty air inside the Orb. When he thought he couldn't get any more surprised, something very warm and very familiar held his hand, exploring his fingers like a child. With surprise, he realized there must be a whole body on the inside of the Orb. What if they needed help and couldn't get out?!
xxxxxxThe next time those curious fingers met his, he grabbed at them and tried to pull them out. The Orb vibrated a panicked tone as the hand inside pulled itself away, and the next thing he knew, he was on the ground once more, gathered nuts in hand, and facing distinctly away from the Living Orb. What had that been about?

𒃽🜤

xxxxxxWhat had that been about? It had felt kind of like a bear ran into my--
xxxxxxA shudder passed through my living metal once more, and I stumbled slightly. A third time? Was something trying to tear down my metal? Maybe...I told the metal beneath me to see if the thing running into my metal wanted to climb. It was the only reasonable explanation I could think of for the thing down below to keep at it. If, of course, the thing could reason.
xxxxxxA slight tug on what I assumed was the ladder caught my curiosity. This grip was strong! The being at the base of my metal began to climb, but it was taking so long, and my own curiosity had been piqued. Quietly, I pulled the rungs up as the being climbed. I also told the rungs below to sink back in and help me move the creature. What would want to climb my metal so badly as to run itself into my metal multiple times?
xxxxxxWhen the thing reached my protective orb, I paused. Last time I had let someone in was...I can't even remember the last time I did this! My confused curiosity was echoed by my metal, and the resulting chime was something almost soothing. I stretched out once more to explore the thing hanging by my cocoon of safety.
xxxxxxMy metal moved before I thought I knew what I wanted, and I hurriedly moved the metal closest to the being outside to cradle it onto a more secure surface. It was much bigger than I had anticipated, so I kept my metal carefully tied to it in case something happened. What the creature outside actually did was quite surprising to say the least.
xxxxxxMy metal wanted me to let this creature push its way into my protective sphere, but I hesitated as memories filled me with doubt.
xxxxxx"Keep going! We must penetrate the barrier created by IB.11-29." So many voices. Grinding. Invasion! Danger! "The experiment is going better than planned, Commander!"
xxxxxxA sudden stop. A hand. Soon, a face. "Noble?" I ask. The face smiles gratefully and offers me a hand out.

xxxxxxNoble? Could it really be Noble? I grudgingly let the hand through, careful to keep the rest of the being outside. Cautiously, I reached out and touched the fingers, one by one. They definitely felt real! But, these fingers...they were too dark for Noble. Could he have gotten tanned? I tried putting my hand against theirs for a size comparison when the hand suddenly grabbed at mine!
xxxxxx
"Copper! What are you doing?! This isn't like you. Please, Copper! Let's go back to Camp!"
"I'm not going back to that prison!"

xxxxxx"No!" I cried, and I pulled away frantically. Not again! They can't have found me!
xxxxxxMy metal responded quickly, sounding a wavering alarm that made me anxious. I quickly made a net with my metal and dropped the person outside to the ground. Another wavering tone, and my metal worked on its own and brought the human something, spun it, and retreated with a calming tremor.
xxxxxxI sat, huddled in my orb and surrounded by the cords of my metal. "Noble," I whispered, and only then did I realize how wet my face had become.

𒃽🜤

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 2

Postby BucketORandomness » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:08 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Copper II 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

xxxxxxSirius attempted to climb the column of the Living Orb for many days after his incident. No matter what he did, however, the metal seemed to slip and slide under his hands and run away from him. It confused him to no end. Why would a person be inside that orb, yet not want to come out? That, and how in the heavens someone could survive inside the Orb was beyond him. Maybe that person inside was what powered the Orb? Sirius shook his head emphatically. That reason made even less sense. No person could survive out here from before the air was safe and still be alive today!
xxxxxxHe gave up and traversed back to the main square of his small city. Apparently, outsiders had come today while he was at the column, and everyone was busy making gifts and goods. A spoon here, a small statue there. Really, those outsiders were messing up the small city. Nobody ever made frugal things like they were now before the traders came from across the wall. What kind of traders carried no goods to find customers in the middle of nowhere?
xxxxxxSirius was coerced into carving statuettes for the trade, and he resigned himself to his fate. Time seemed to move at once too fast and too slow. Talk and stories went around circles of similar and worn out topics. Rumors of these traders and their metal bits rotated amidst the groups, and it was to these whispers that Sirius listened most intently.
xxxxxxHis comrades said that the outsiders had brought large machines they were willing to trade for, and that all they were really looking for in return was a special ore. Something stronger than the typical magnesium alloy used in the War. These claims of a mysterious ore sounded implausible, especially to the older members of the small city.
xxxxxxSirius sighed and looked at his creation. It hadn't turned out as expected. Instead of the bird he had been attempting, it had turned into more of a stylistic arc. After a moment of contemplation, Sirius slipped the failed bird into a pocket and rose from his sitting position. A few excuses later, and he was quickly jogging his way to the main column of the Living Orb. He paused along the way and brought out his carving knife. Maybe he could go with the arc theme. Sirius, now walking, began to carve a few more details into what was becoming a swirling pattern on the arc. He stopped at the base of the column and looked at the piece of wood in his hand. Would this even work?
xxxxxxDubiously, Sirius stepped up to the pillar and pushed the carving into the column, as if it were a piece of metal for the Orb. The metal absorbed the carving like it would metal, but it didn't stay there. Sirius chuckled softly as the carving was hesitantly pushed out again, as if to say, "Excuse me, but are you sure you meant this thing?"
xxxxxxSirius gripped the carving and once more pushed it into the column, gently moving his hand in a tossing motion as if he were throwing the carving up the column. His movement was slowed to the same syrup consistency from his time with the Orb proper. The carving left his hand, though, and it didn't come out again, so Sirius took that as a good sign. He left with a smile and a quiet tune humming on his lips.
xxxxxxA figure rustled in the leaves around the clearing, and when they were sure that Sirius had returned to the city, they followed. Rumors spread about at the figure's return about an emissary who could contact the Orb and declare its intentions to those living within its protection. However rampant and hushed these new rumors were, there was always more work to be done. The rest of the day was spent getting ready for a trade attempt through the wall. Sirius was somewhat doubtful that anything would go through the Orb's wall, especially those metal bits and pieces the outsiders were offering as payment.
𒃽🜤

xxxxxxI started slightly at the introduction of a new, quiet rumbling through my metal. Slowly, I uncurled myself and watched, perplexed, as a foreign object made its way through the floor of my orb. I was confused why my metal would chose to bring me this. It was obviously not metal or something to eat, but the substance was familiar in some strange way. Where had I seen this before? I tried to put my finger on that specific memory as I observed it further. The swirling designs caught the attention of my exploring fingers, and I smiled at their simple beauty.
xxxxxx"A gift for you, Copper! I hope you like it."

xxxxxxMy smile widens, and I gently fasten the small arching gift to my hair with delicate strands of metal from my sphere of protection.
xxxxxxA quiet time passed in which I had too much time to think. Should I go look for Noble? Maybe I could find him and get him away from Commander. The thought amused me, and I imagined how I would go about saving Noble. I always got through the "invading the headquarters and locating Noble" parts, but I was still stuck on what to do after that. Could I even find Commander and the rest of them?
xxxxxxA sudden chime in my metal woke me from my dreaming, and I was instantly filled with alarm. What was going on?! My metal kept sending warning signals, and I could sense anxious shifting towards the outermost parts of my metal. Could it be?!
xxxxxxI hurriedly sent all my spare metal to the area and sealed up the web I had made. This new metal tasted disgustingly familiar.
xxxxxx"Touch it! Make it come alive!" More orders from the men in white robes. I don’t want to touch this metal, though. It's oily, and it hurts when I try to move it. And these white robes are annoying! Why can’t I just play with the nails in the lunchroom like I used to? Nails are much friendlier, and they don’t bite back. “IB.11-29 is not responding, Commander.” Commander is here?! I spin and try to see through the shaded glass to look at the observers. Could Noble be with them now? I reluctantly reach out and touch the metal weapon on the table before me.

xxxxxxI screamed in my little protective sphere of metal and grabbed at the things holding that familiar weapon, carefully keeping my metal away from the oily surface. The trapped non-metals tried to pull away, but I held fast. This metal was not going to come inside my barrier! Ever!
xxxxxxOne of the non-metals let go of the disgusting metal, and I panicked. I pushed the other through my web so that the metal could drop outside my web, and then I made my wall so thick, nothing could possibly make it through ever again. They’d found me. Again. I lashed out at the metal surrounding me. How could this happen?! How come they couldn’t just leave me alone?!
𒃽🜤
xxxxxxSirius woke early the morning after preparations had been finished and slipped out of his house. A small wooden carving was secured in his pocket, and he had intended to visit the column and give the carving to the person inside the Orb. Unfortunately for him, someone else saw him, and he was dragged into coming along with the trading party. He kept his grumbling to himself as the group traversed to the wall and waited for the outsiders to arrive, eventually giving into his cautious curiosity.
xxxxxxWhen the group arrived, Sirius had to look twice. The outsiders were all much taller than anyone from the city, and they all seemed to wear some strange form of white cloak, even though it wasn’t the cold season yet.
xxxxxxThe group outside silently brought out a metal box and an important looking man with a steel gray beard made to push it through one of the larger holes in the webbed design of the wall. Sirius was unceremoniously pushed toward the wall, and he cautiously reached out and grabbed the box. He was prepared for the wall to simply absorb the metal, or for the box not to fit through the hole. What he was not expecting was an ear-piercing screech. His head whipped around to look at the Orb, and he saw something he never thought he would.
xxxxxxThe Orb was glowing a cherry red, and steam was rising from its surface. The beams radiating from the Living Orb shrank dramatically, some even disappearing altogether. Sirius took a step toward the Orb, now precariously perched on a thin column, only to find himself stuck in the wall itself. The wall had become thicker, with the gaps in the webbing now too small to pass a hand through. The gray-beard on the other side seemed to be stuck, too, but his face held a chilling smile.
xxxxxx“ Weha vefou ndy ou atla stproje ctIB.11-29,” the old man seemed to growl. To Sirius, it seemed as if a large predator had been introduced to their peaceful valley. The party on the inside of the wall scattered and made for any metal they could find in hopes of appeasing the Living Orb. The outsiders muttered to themselves and backed away from where the old man and Sirius were still trapped within the wall.
xxxxxx“Have you heard of the AA project?” the old man asked in a strange accent. Sirius quavered under the gaze leveled at him through the wall. The old man bared his teeth in a cruel smile and did something within the wall. Sirius was then pulled by the wall almost up to his shoulder, and in his surprise, he dropped the metal box outside the wall. “Unt il weme eton cemo re,” the old man said as the webbing finally became a solid sheet of metal from the Living Orb.
xxxxxxSirius was left in his predicament for a while, his feet growing tired and his arm going slowly stiff. An idea struck him after some kind soul from the city brought him some food, and he pulled out his carving. It looked almost like a sun, and he carefully placed it against the wall still holding him captive. It was still metal connected to the Living Orb, so maybe he could send his carving this way. Maybe, if the person in the orb knew he was down here, it would let him go.
xxxxxxThe wall grudgingly accepted the carving, then the metal around his arm seemed to vibrate slightly. A small net of metal reached out from around his arm, and soon Sirius found himself lifted into the air. The metal net caught him and carried him across one of the only remaining beams in a sort of swing. When Sirius reached the Orb, his sun carving emerged and was hung in front of him. What was he supposed to do now?
xxxxxxCurious, Sirius wrapped his hand around the little sun carving. The metal around his hand quickly moved toward the Orb until his fisted hand rested against the warm metal. Understanding came in little increments, and Sirius pushed his hand and carving into the orb in front of him. The metal net he was sitting on swayed as he leaned closer, but some of the strands caught hold of the Orb as well and anchored him there.
xxxxxxAt first, it felt like Sirius was pushing into a wall. Nothing gave, and he began wondering if this was the course of action he should have taken. Before he could pull away, though, a small indentation began to form around his hand. Then, the metal began to slowly flow around it. His hand was stopped at the wrist, and Sirius carefully pushed no further. The last thing he wanted to do was spook whoever was inside again and have to start over.
xxxxxxCautious fingers touched his, and he slowly opened his fist. A delighted chime sounded from the Orb, though it felt dampered by something. Sirius felt the carving lift from his hand, and the metal around his wrist began to creep slowly up his arm. It was a disconcerting feeling, but he had nowhere to run to, so Sirius endured it.
xxxxxxThe hand inside the Orb tentatively touched his palm. Sirius resisted the urge to grab at that hand, and was rewarded when a gentle grip held his hand. He slowly wrapped his fingers around the surprisingly small hand and simply held it. For a moment, nothing happened. Then, a slight pull came from inside. Sirius at first didn’t move, then carefully pushed his arm deeper into the Orb. The pull became an insistent tug, and the metal around his arm suddenly turned to the consistency of water as Sirius was unceremoniously eaten by the Living Orb.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 3

Postby BucketORandomness » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:59 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Copper III 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

xxxxxxIt took Sirius three consecutive moments to comprehend at least slightly what was inside the Living Orb. The first moment was used trying to pick himself up off the curving floor of the Orb. The second moment was used to grow accustomed to the relative dimness of the Orb’s interior. The third moment was spent staring at the girl he saw.
xxxxxxThe interior of the Orb was more spacious than Sirius had imagined, with plenty of room for him and the girl. He stood on the sloping floor of the Orb while she seemed to hover on the other side. Her skin was a pale cream, and she wore a simple white shirt with pants as gray as the metal around them. Around her radiated cords and tendrils of metal, all disappearing somewhere beneath her long straight hair. That hair seemed to shimmer and dance in the light that somehow found its way into the Orb, and the color faded between a bright green and a cerulean blue as it cascaded down her back. Up by the strange girl’s ear was something distinctly not metal to hold some of the hair back from the girl’s eyes. With a start, Sirius recognized it as the first carving he had sent up the column.
xxxxxxFor the first time, Sirius looked into the eyes of this strange girl. They were a green so bright, they rivaled her hair. Her freckled cheeks turned a slight pink, and her head tilted in an adorable way. Sirius wondered where this girl could have come from. She looked to be a teenager, but Sirius knew he would have remembered a girl this stunning had she ever been in the city.
xxxxxx“Y oua ren otNob le,” the girl said, the question and disappointment evident in her voice. Sirius was transfixed as she appeared to float to him. This strange girl, with her strangely familiar language. She was taller than he had anticipated, and when she stood directly in front of him, they were almost eye-to-eye. The girl seemed to pause, then she carefully said, “Y oua ren otfamili ar.”
xxxxxxWith painstaking slowness, Sirius realized he knew this language. “Do you know that old guy from the trading group?” he asked suddenly, bright eyes searching hers. He immediately regretted the question as she backed up with wide eyes. “Sorry, sorry,” he said quietly, trying to take a step back as well to show he meant nothing by the question. The curved walls of the Orb were hard to walk on, though, and he slipped to the bottom in a spread-eagle mess.
xxxxxx“Sorry,” he said again, sheepishly this time, and his response was met by a light tinkling of giggles and chimes. The strange and beautiful girl sat beside him on the floor of the Orb, her smile lighting up the whole space. Sirius wanted to talk with this girl more and make her smile. He decided to start simple, hoping that he could gain her trust at least a little. “My name is Sirius,” he said, putting a hand on his chest, “Sirius.” He waited, wondering if his message had gotten through.
xxxxxxAfter a moment, the girl responded with squinted eyes, “Sirius.” The named man smiled broadly and nodded his head. He sat up and paused. What was he going to do next? “Sirius,” the girl said, pointing to his chest. He nodded once more, and she pointed to herself, “Copp er.”
xxxxxxSirius smiled and tried to hold in his excitement. He pointed from himself to the girl and said, “Sirius. Copper.” He winced as he butchered the name, knowing he had messed up on the inflection. “Cop per,” he tried again, then, “Copp er.” The girl’s eyes lit up and she pursed her lips.
xxxxxx“Copper,” she said, pointing to herself, “Copp er.” To Sirius, it looked like she was trying on different clothes with the ways she said her name. The two of them sat inside the Orb for a long time, sometimes communicating, other times just repeating random words at each other until they were blue in the face. Sirius enjoyed his time with the strange girl in the Orb, but eventually, something had to happen.
xxxxxx“Unt il weme eton cemo re,” she said sadly, carefully placing the sun carving in Sirius’ hand.
xxxxxx“Unt il weme eton cemo re,” Sirius replied, having had practice with the inflections a bit. He wasn’t entirely sure what it could mean, but it seemed to make Copper smile. Sirius smiled in return and held on tightly to the carved sun as the Living Orb gently lowered him down the center column and into the half-light of evening.
xxxxxxSirius walked back to his house in a kind of half-daze, starting to doubt that he had actually been inside the Living Orb and talked with a beautiful girl all day. His neighbors were all surprised that he had not only freed himself from the wall, but also come home from a completely different direction. As he laid his head to rest that night, more and more rumors spread of the boy who moved with the wall, the boy who could talk to the Living Orb.

𒃽🜤

xxxxxxI rampaged at the metal around me. Why couldn’t they just leave me alone?! At some point, though, my rampage turned into more of a desolate quietness. Everything was still, and something somehow felt off inside. My chest felt heavier than normal, and my head pounded.
xxxxxxWithout realizing it, I had curled up into myself at the bottom of my protective orb. My metal would protect me, just like it always had.
xxxxxx”IB.11-29, your task today is to defend. Got that?” The man wears the annoying white coat. His smile is really annoying, too. Why do I have to do this? There are plenty of others modified like me. Why can’t they ask one of the others from the IB.11 bunker?
xxxxxxI am shoved outside into a wasteland. I try to turn back, to go to VIIIB.10-28 and complain like always, but the outside of the dome reflects something bright and blue. I look up to see what it is, and almost scream for my curiosity. What is up there?! It can’t be that big! Nothing could!
xxxxxxI focus on the ground at my feet and negligently tap the remains of a vehicle. The metal leaches out of it, and I wonder what could have eaten something like that. I most certainly do not look at the big blue thing above my head. It just can’t be there forever, right? I continue collecting metal, first creating an umbrella over my head, then eventually making a cocoon, and finally spreading out.
xxxxxxSomeone opens a door and screams something, but the sound doesn’t get through my metal in time. This is more metal than any of them had ever let me collect! It's wonderful! I sense something large and metal falling from above somewhere and reach my metal toward it. Maybe I can catch it and save it from scattering all its metal everywhere!
xxxxxxI touch it. At least, I think I do. It is hot. Really hot. I am boiling inside my cocoon. More metal! That will ward off the heat! More! More! It isn’t getting any cooler! Where can I get more?! I reach out. More metal! It has to be around somewhere! More! More!
xxxxxxIt works! My metal cools down. It isn’t so hot anymore. I wait. Is it still hot outside? I don’t want to get cooked. Something outside taps my metal, kind of like those people in white coats. Are they here to reward me? Sometimes they do, so I cautiously open a bit of my metal, wondering if something can really be out there in that heat.
xxxxxx“Commander! This one’s alive!” Someone is out there! I open more, wondering if it is a white coat person. I am greeted with a young face who looks at once surprised and happy. “Commander! It’s a girl, Commander!” Who is this Commander fellow the kid keeps yelling at?
xxxxxx“I’m project VIIIA.18-2, but my friends back at Camp call me Noble.” Noble, huh? That is a nice name.

xxxxxxMy metal was warm when I woke up, quietly reminding me that I was safe. For now, anyway. I sat up and stretched. A slight tug on my metal brought my thoughts down to earth. What was that? Something pressed against my cocoon. What?! An invasion? I tried to keep it out, whatever it was, but my metal vibrated quietly. Well...My metal seemed to trust whoever this was. Maybe I could, too?
xxxxxxI carefully let a little bit of whatever it was into my cocoon. It was that hand! The one from before! I stared at it a little in disbelief, then flinched back as it opened slowly. Was that a carving? Gently, I lifted the wood out of the hand without making skin contact. This carving was so beautiful! It looked like a swirling sun, like the ways the others used to draw fancy suns on papers back…home…
xxxxxxMaybe this hand belonged to a friend. I carefully touched the hand, ready to pull back if it tried to pull me out from my protection again. It didn’t, which surprised me, and I slowly wrapped my fingers around its large mass. I wanted it to belong to a friend, but I needed to see their face to be sure. Maybe if I pulled them in? They didn’t seem to not want to come in.
xxxxxxWhen I pulled a little harder, my metal decided to help, and I backed up to the other side of my orb in surprise. It was a boy. His hair looked like a rusty iron kettle whose warm coffee had spilled over and stained the rest of him. And his eyes! They were so warm, like the coffee had pooled there and they were just staring at her. Wait.
xxxxxxIt was embarrassing to be caught staring, and I think I may have blushed a little. I nodded in a kind of hello and looked at what the boy was wearing instead. His pants were ripped at the knees and a strange steel-blue color, and his shirt looked about as red as his hair. He was barefoot, like me, though he was a bit dustier than me.
xxxxxx“You are not Noble,” I concluded out loud. It was a bit disappointing, but that’s what I deserved for hoping the impossible would happen. I moved toward the boy, wondering if I did know him from somewhere. I pretended that it didn’t bug me, but the fact that he was ever so slightly taller than me was a bit of an annoyance. And he seemed to be older than me. How annoying.
xxxxxx”Everyone! We’re back!” Noble seems in high spirits as we enter a room with a lot more people than back at the IB.11 barracks. Where had all these people come from? “This is our new friend, IB.11-29. Does anyone have any good ideas for names?” What? Me, have a name? I wonder if it will be like Noble’s.
xxxxxxLots of faces go by, each introducing themselves and suggesting their own name for me. At some point, someone very familiar comes up and says they are called Nicki. The name she suggests sounds pretty nice, and Noble must have seen it on my face. “OK, everyone! Let’s call out new friend Copper!”

xxxxxxNo...This boy did not look like any of the others I know, and everyone had been at Camp. “You are not familiar,” I said, contemplating who this stranger could be. Suddenly, the boy leaned forward and said, “Do yo ukn owth atol dgu yfr omth etr adinggr oup?”
xxxxxxI was startled, and I quickly backed away from the boy. He seemed to realize this and backed up, too, but I suppose he wasn’t used to walking on curved surfaces. Whatever he muttered from the bottom of my orb sounded rather funny, and I found myself giggling at the way he spoke, my metal chiming with me in its parody of laughter.
xxxxxxHe couldn’t be too much of a threat down there on the floor, so I sat next to him, knees brought up to my chest. This boy was very strange, and his little mistakes were endearing in a surprising sort of way.
xxxxxx“My na meis Si rius,” the boy said suddenly, putting a hand on his chest, “Si rius.” I wondered what he could be up to, but he seemed to be waiting for something. Did he want me to repeat?
xxxxxx“Si rius,” I said slowly, hoping I wasn’t giving any permission for something. The boy seemed to brighten when I said that, but then his brow wrinkled. That expression really didn’t fit his face. “Si rius,” I tried again, pointing to the boy. He nodded, and I wondered what I had been saying. Was it his name? It seemed to make sense with the gestures, so I pointed to myself and tried my own name.
xxxxxxThe way Si rius said my name was strange, like there was some kind of rock in his mouth. Maybe it was a strange dialect? I tried my name his way and my way, wondering if they were really the same thing. My version definitely felt more familiar, but his seemed to have more confidence behind it. They both felt like me, and I wondered if I could live up to both. I also wondered about his name. Could Si rius be the same as Sirius?
xxxxxxWe sat for a while, only sort of having conversation. Mostly, we just repeated words back and forth until the sounds made no sense, but I definitely had fun. I may not have known him for very long, but I enjoyed Sirius’ company. Unfortunately, it was getting harder to reflect light through my metal, which probably meant the sun was going down. That meant my new friend had to leave.
xxxxxxReluctantly, I brought out the new carving he had given me. Maybe this could act as a kind of key? That way, I would know that it was Sirius next time my metal tried to introduce me to new people. Sadly, I put the sun in his hand. “Until we meet once more,” I said, sincerely hoping there would be a next time.
xxxxxxTo my surprise, Sirius said, “Until we meet once more.” We had been talking for a rather long time, trading words and such, but this was still a pleasant surprise. I carefully helped my metal lower Sirius down to earth when a thought struck me. That metal from earlier could come from anywhere around the perimeter, but I didn’t have enough metal to keep it out all the way around. I also didn’t want to leave my new friend unprotected if I tried to decrease my boundaries.
xxxxxxI thought a long time about how I could protect him and myself. My metal seemed to sense my mood, and I did my best to keep it stable. I wondered how to protect myself and Sirius. I had all this metal, maybe I could just carry it all here and make one big cocoon for us. If I did that, we’d both definitely be safe! The plan sounded fine, until I considered that maybe Sirius might not like not being able to see the sky. The big blue thing is important to see every once in a while, but once I made us a big cocoon of my metal, the sky would vanish for who knows how long. I had to come up with a better solution! Maybe, if I just pulled everything in a little everywhere and moved my center closer to Sirius. That way, the sky would still be there, my metal could make better walls, and Sirius would still be protected from the bad metal. With this new plan in mind, I spent some time moving metal and non-metal bits and pieces around. Hopefully Sirius won’t mind!
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 4

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Copper IV 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

xxxxxxFor the next day, and for many days after his initial meeting with Copper, Sirius developed a regular routine. Early in the morning, he would wake up and leave the house to escape the questions of the neighbors. They seemed to think he had all the answers to everything, now, which he thought was absurd. They asked him what to do about the strangers who kept calling over the wall. Everyone avoided the strangers since the Orb had reacted so badly to them, though the aversion didn’t stop them from trying.
xxxxxxAfter Sirius managed to dodge a couple of notoriously cantankerous grannies, he made his way to the center column. The walk seemed to Sirius to be somewhat quicker than the times he had come before his meeting with Copper. He attributed it to excitement as he came in sight of the enormous pillar. It towered above him, and he smiled in anticipation as he pulled the sun carving out of his pocket.
xxxxxxThe pillar took a moment to absorb the carving and his hand before creating the now familiar platform that took him up to talk with Copper. The ride was smooth, if a little strange this time. The platform felt somehow smaller, since it no longer went all the way out to his knees when he sat. Could there be something wrong? All worries left his mind as he was welcomed into Copper’s little sanctum. Her brow was wrinkled in something like worry, which didn’t fit her features at all.
xxxxxx“Hello, Copper,” he said, putting a smile on his face. Hers was a little slow in returning, but it was there. They talked like they normally did, conversing in Sirius’s normal inflection. He thought the way Copper spoke was strangely beautiful and almost exotic. They talked about what he had done the day before, the city below, the people living there. Sirius avoided talking about the outsiders for as long as he could, but his curiosity got the best of him in the natural silences of their conversation.
xxxxxx“Copper, why did the metal in the wall act the way it did when the outsiders tried trading through the wall?” he asked. His quiet question reverberated in the Orb for a short time, and he began wondering if he had asked something wrong. At least she had let him stay inside.
xxxxxx“My metal is part of me,” she said slowly. Her gaze had turned to her knees as they sat on the curving floor of the Orb. “What they offered . . . hurts. It doesn’t like being part of me,” the girl continued. Quickly, as though she had simply commented on the color of his shirt, she lifted her head and smiled brightly. “What about Jeha? How is the herdsman?” she asked smoothly.
xxxxxxSirius looked at Copper, confused for a moment. It had sounded like she knew what the metal was without needing to touch it. Refocusing on the question, he answered, “I told you about Jeha yesterday, right? He’s not normally this needy, but he’s been saying the best pastures have been disappearing. I think his age is finally catching up with him.” He grinned at the memory of the old man. Their conversation flowed for a little while longer, but Sirius could feel that it was time to go.
xxxxxx“Goodbye,” he said, waving to his special friend as he sank through the floor. The platform again felt a little small, but his descent was soon over. He stepped away from the column and stretched, enjoying the open space.
xxxxxx“Finished wit yer meetn’?” a creaky voice said from the bushes. Sirius turned quickly and saw a man sitting bent over a gnarled branch and surrounded by small, fluffy animals. His skin was dark, and dust caked in its folds. His gap-toothed grin was followed by a husky chuckle. “That thing you been doin’ in the Orb ain't easy t’hide,” he said, rising and shuffling over to the stunned Sirius.
xxxxxx“I thought I was rather discrete, Jeha,” Sirius muttered, looking at one of the man’s dusty sandals. He began to worry about others who might have seen him going to meet Copper. “You won’t tell, right? Or stop me?” he asked urgently. How would he tell Copper if Jeha told the city and stopped him from coming to visit her?
xxxxxx“Don’ worry yer footies. I’d only tell me flurries, though I may keep yer secrit if I knew what you been doin’ up there,” he said, suggestively leaning against his staff. The little fluffy animals amiably meandered nearby, some resting by his feet while the younger ones played games of chase.
xxxxxxSirius didn’t want to give up his special secret with Copper, but he really didn’t want the old man to blab about his visits. Finally, he relented to tell the herdsman at least a few details. “You better not tell anyone,” he warned before he launched into what he had been doing.
xxxxxxJeha listened with a small grin on his face as Sirius described Copper and how she lived inside the Orb. Sirius had only meant to explain the most minimal portions of his encounters, but Jeha had a way of listening that seemed to draw the details out of him like a thirsty man drinking water. Sirius explained how the metal was a living thing, and how it brought her food. He told Jeha about Copper’s strange statement and wondered out loud if she really did control the metal.
xxxxxxWhen the young man finished, Jeha chuckled. “I bet she’s as wonderful as you say she is. Wonderen’ now if I can’ meet ‘er,” the old man said, getting up from a comfortably seated position. Sirius wondered what Jeha had been talking about as he and his herd ambled away. Could Copper actually come down and meet the old man? He contemplated how he would ask her as he wandered back to the city and into a whirlwind of whispers.
𒃽🜤

xxxxxx“But, I don’t want to! That’s me!” I protest, pulling my tanned arm away from the extraction machine.
xxxxxx“Do you want to protect others from the bombs?” a familiar face asks.
xxxxxx“Yes, but the machine hurts. And whatever they do afterwards hurts, too. Why can’t I protect others myself? I’m not weak,” I say, turning my skin to metal. I am shiny, hard, cold, and strong. As my mentor tries to convince me more, the metal moves deeper. I feel strong, secure, dependable, and wanted. My muscles turn to the same shiny substance. My blood runs cold. My heart screeches on metal hinges in its new metal casing. I am strong.
xxxxxxI am moving! I slide out of shape and towards the wall. It hurts! It hurts! I resist! It feels like a magnet, pulling me in so many directions. “Stop it!” I cry. My mentor rushes over, and so do a couple white-coats.
xxxxxx“Cross-project, abort! Abort!” a white-coat says into a little metal earpiece. The magnet goes away, though it’s still there. The magnet is dull, but I reform my vulnerable shape. The metal is gone, the shiny defenses retracted. They had betrayed me. Who can I trust now?

xxxxxxI shivered slightly as the quiet knock on my Orb signaled Sirius had arrived. I let him in like normal and tried to smile at him, but I think he noticed how strained it was. Sirius always found a way to make me smile for real. The conversation flowed from topic to topic, and I found that I could understand his strange dialect without needing to think too much about what he was saying. It was another wonderful thing to add to our growing commonality.
xxxxxx“Copper, why did the metal in the wall act the way it did when the outsiders tried trading through the wall?” Sirius asked suddenly. The question caught me off-guard, and I fought back the memories.
xxxxxxI scream, resisting the pull of that magnet. It hurts! It hurts! “Stop it! Stop it!”
xxxxxx“Project VIIIB.10-28 resisting cross-project. Report on your end?” a dispassionate voice says from behind the screen of bodies. They hold me. They keep me. It hurts! “Reset cross-project. Resume again after both projects recover.” No!

xxxxxx“My metal is part of me,” I said slowly, mentally shaking off the memory. Why did I expect to find cargo pants instead of my gray sweats? “What they offered . . . hurts. It doesn’t like being part of me,” I finished. This topic was not the most comfortable in the world. I quickly thought of a good, neutral topic to talk about. “What about Jeha? How is the herdsman?” I tried, not looking at Sirius.
xxxxxxHe seemed to know what I was trying to do, but I was grateful that he did not try to push the subject. Our conversation did not seem to hold as much interest as it had earlier. I found myself thinking two things were true, even though they weren’t. I didn’t trust anyone, but I trusted Noble. And Sirius.
xxxxxxSirius was saying something about fields disappearing, which made no sense. Well, actually, it did, but I didn’t explain why. We kept talking about nothing until Sirius apparently noticed my mood. He made some sort of excuse I didn't listen to and said goodbye, which was the signal to let him down.
xxxxxxI asked my metal, and it responded. Why did everything feel slow and warm?
xxxxxxThe vehicle bumps over yet another uneven road. Why does every site always have this same smell? I coat my arms in metal. Now, we have to get out of the truck. We walk through dust, and all the warm air presses down on me. The magnet is still there, but I’ve learned to deal with it. My leg clanks as it kicks something metal, and I look in disgust at the two different metals. My metal moved deeper.

xxxxxxSomething definitely felt wrong. Whose legs were those? They didn’t look like mine. These don’t look like my legs.
xxxxxxMy metal shifted uncertainly underneath me, and I instinctively reached out and tried to steady it. It didn’t steady, though. It shifted more, and alarms suddenly screamed. It was the wall again! What was wrong? I sealed up my wall, screaming myself, now. What was going on?! Where was Sirius?
xxxxxxWhy is the magnet so strong?!

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 5

Postby BucketORandomness » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:10 pm

┏━━┉┉┅┅╍╍
🝣 Nickel I 🝣
┗━━┉┉┅┅╍╍

xxxxxxA subtle vibration runs through the floor. Then another one follows. Can the floor really feel like water? I’m pretty sure it’s a solid.
xxxxxxAn alarm sounds, and one of my friends cries out. Suddenly, warmth. Heat, pounding ever part of me. Burning, penetrating every molecule. An intense light, trying to incinerate me and my new friends.
xxxxxx“No!” I cry out. My defenses rise. I am metal. I am impenetrable. I am hot! I still burn! Cool shade. I feel strangely separate. I am cooling. This is nice. Why can't I feel my toes?

xxxxxxI woke with a start, sitting up straight in my travel cot as a terrible chill raised the hairs on my arms. I quickly turned that outermost layer of skin into a glossy silver surface. However childish it may have appeared, I always thought my armor could deflect even my bad dreams for a while.
xxxxxxI let the dream disappear as my foot hit the dirt that marked the floor of my tent. The magnet was still there, in and out of the dream, but I forcefully left that train of thought as I put on the familiar prosthetic leg that had become a part of my existence.
xxxxxxThe dull gray of morning sunlight filtered through the door at the front, and I made my way out to the bustle of camp. Projects ran every which way, and the common soldier-scientists collectively called “Menials” had frantic looks on their faces.
xxxxxx“You’re up! Commander has called a meeting,” I heard someone say. I turned to give them a blinding glare and discovered Noble. He was pretty chill, sometimes even ice cold, but all of the projects respected him. After all, he was Commander’s blind second, the most successful project during and after the War.
xxxxxx“Alright, alright. I’m coming,”I muttered, maneuvering my prosthetic leg almost casually into a jog. Menials jumped out of the way, and I even managed to trip one of the new projects on the mission. Stupid newbie. Noble kept pace confidently behind me, giving me the weirdest feeling of being watched.
xxxxxxThe tent Noble and I approached was a little more than just a tent. It had four distinct walls on the inside, and the peaked roof was much taller than any of the tents elsewhere in the camp. Two Hounds stood guard at the entrance, watching all passersby with cold, canine eyes. I glared back on our way through the entrance.
xxxxxxLarge furry beasts snarl and gnash their teeth on metal bars as I enter the training arena. “Hound 4. Not the strongest, but not a runt. Good luck,” a familiar voice says. They're tall, and they seem warmer than that Noble fellow. I prepare myself, favoring my new prosthetic leg. Hound 4 leaps at me, and the fight begins.

xxxxxxI stepped into the shade that was under the tent. Commander was there, along with a couple more Hounds and Alpha. Menials scuttled about as if trying to escape the collective gazes of the assembled projects. I lifted my chin and pretended to ignore them all.
xxxxxx“It is time to prove your worth once more,” a deep voice boomed into the empty space. It always struck me how effortless Commander made the weight of command appear. “The project we are currently pursuing defected back during the war. Our records indicate that it has an affinity for controlling metals,” he continued. I could feel the metal rise to my skin, then sink deeper and deeper. Had he found out?
xxxxxx“Since you can turn into a metal alloy, Nikki, we want you to infiltrate the barrier and make a gateway for operatives to penetrate to the core,” Noble said. The plan was dangerous, especially after… That.
xxxxxxI scream, resisting the pull of that magnet. It hurts! It hurts! “Stop it! Stop it!”
xxxxxx“Project VIIIB.10-28 resisting cross-project. Report on your end?” a dispassionate voice says from behind the screen of bodies. They hold me. They keep me. It hurts! “Reset cross-project. Resume again after both projects recover.” No!

xxxxxxThe other project had never recovered, though I still let a few drops of metal find their way to that other project in the protection of my tent sometimes. Noble had put a hand on my shoulder as Commander waited for a response. They both knew how likely it was I would lose myself in the barrier, but at least they were letting me decide if I wanted to do it willingly.
xxxxxx“Alright,” I said, almost laughing at the completely confused look on Alpha’s face. I had to do this. I had to prove my worth. “When does the operation start?” I asked, mainly to keep myself from turning into a statue.
xxxxxx“You should have offered it when we learned of the defect’s identification!” Alpha barked gruffly, recovering from his previous confusion. Commander lifted a silencing hand, but he did not contradict Alpha.
xxxxxx“I understand. I’ll be ready as soon as the other party members are,” I said, refusing to break eye contact. I was not afraid of any of them. Commander nodded slightly and I dismissed myself. It felt like my control was slipping again, so I took a walk around the camp, looking up at the imposing metal net I would have to become part of in order to complete the new mission.
xxxxxxCarefully, I let my blood turn to metal. I felt a drip fall from my fingertips and relinquished control of that small part. The drop quivered in the dirt before slowly creeping toward the ever present magnet.
xxxxxxI lie in bed, staring at the ceiling. There is a weird pulling sensation, like a magnet. None of the others who share my room understand the feeling. They don't have a cross-project partner like I do. It is nice at times like these. The magnet reminds me of the other project I am linked to, and also of how I am special. I am special, especially to my partner.

xxxxxxOn an impulse, I started to follow the drop as it calmly rolled through the grass. I knew I was just avoiding the thought of the mission, but I continued anyway. The small drop picked up speed, and soon I was jogging to keep up.
xxxxxx“Oh! Someone is excited to please Commander,” a voice like gravel teased. I immediately stopped jogging and looked up. Of course Cal was part of the team. She was nothing but a caustic mountain of muscle, but she was a senior member who followed orders well. What she had said finally registered in my head, and I looked around. The net was disturbingly close, and I quickly covered up a shudder with a layer of metal.
xxxxxx“If I’m excited to please, you must be more so,” I replied as haughtily as I could manage. It probably wasn't a good idea to provoke the clod, but Cal had started it, and I never backed down from a challenge.
xxxxxx“Like I’d try to please Commander! He’s about as pleased as a the ice caps are warm,” Cal scoffed. I resisted the urge to laugh, resulting in a slight twitching of my lip. “Oh, but I’m a fool! You're not here to impress Commander. Noble is much easier to please,” she said with an evil gleam.
xxxxxx“What? No!” I hissed. I wasn't trying to impress or please anyone! Why was it so hard to see that? Cal had just killed the humor in the air. My metal moved deeper in defense. “I am not so weak,” I growled, my voice coming out almost as guttural as Alpha’s.
xxxxxx“You're right. You are even weaker. A harvest project trying to play in the big leagues,” Cal taunted. I was about to launch myself at the offending oaf when a Hound burst in between us. I turned to where the Hound had come from, already knowing who would be there.
xxxxxx“I am not upset. Yet. Now, explain” Alpha said, turning judgmental and haughty eyes in my direction. I sniffed in disdain and turned my back on both of them. I didn't need to answer to either of these buffoons.
xxxxxx“No time for explanations. Nikki,” Noble’s voice said from behind Alpha’s form. With an explosive sigh, I walked forward and faced the protective net. I had been avoiding this, but now I could prove my worth.
xxxxxxI took a deep breath, then turned every last remnant of myself into metal. Cal hurried me to make the gate already. The magnet grew stronger. I let go of my human shape and left my prosthetic behind. The magnet was stronger. I interspersed into the wall.
xxxxxxA scream. My form! My mission! The magnet intensified. I stretched. Even more. Someone called. I pulled myself together. Stepped inside the wall. I fought the memories, and the magnet faded.
xxxxxx“Cross-project, abort! Abort!” The metal is gone, the shiny defenses retracted.

xxxxxxI stumbled to the ground as I resumed my normal form. I removed my metal to remove the magnet.
xxxxxx“Nikki, are you injured?” I heard someone ask distantly. I shook my head, then looked down at the grass, trying to balance myself on my leg until I could get my prosthetic from one of the others. My clothes had been cleaned yesterday, but now…
xxxxxxThere was a bright red everywhere I looked, slowly turning dull and dark as it dried. The net. Had the metal actually bled?
🝢🜢🝢
Last edited by BucketORandomness on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<

ImageImageImage
BucketORandomness

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Character File

Postby BucketORandomness » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 am

┏━━━━━┉┉┉┅┅┅╍╍
🝣 Project IB.11-29 (Copper) 🝣
┗━━━━━┉┉┉┅┅┅╍╍

⤳General
    Age: Appearance stopped aging somewhere in the late teens, even though many thousand years have passed
    Power: Creation of living metal at physical contact
⤳Appearance
    Hair: Straight, down, very long, fades from bright cerulean blue to vibrant neon green
    Skin: Pale, stretched, cold/clammy to the touch
    Face: Vibrant green eyes, small features, narrow jaw, large forehead
    Height: 5'7"
    Clothing:
      ↬Top--White T-shirt
      ↬Bottom--Gray military-issued cloth sweats
      ↬Shoes--Barefoot
    Other: Cables form at shoulders and connect to activated metal
⤳Personality
    General: Inquisitive, curious, cautious, talkative, survivor, hopeful
    Dislikes: Commander, the AA project, scientists, restrictions, Project IIA.2-20
    Habits: Turns metal into protective orb first, absorbs as much metal as possible, bites lip when frustrated
⤳History
    Pre-Development:
      Grown from a single human cell, Project IB.11-29 was the 29th attempt at Bunker IB.11 to create the perfect metal sensor. Scientists found that Project 29 could easily bend and mold metal with physical contact, and the cause was found to be in the new methods of modification used with the installment of a new head scientist at Buncker IB.11. Other projects modified in the same way have shown evidence of similar abilities.
    Development:
      Training regimes increased, as did Project 29's abilities. Project 29 could now absorb and modify metals created at other Bunkers involved in the AA project. Some resistance was measured with the new metal, but it was easily overcome. During a drill to test Project 29's abilities in the field, an enemy H-bomb was detected. Project 29 absorbed the metal of the bomb as it detonated. In response, the project absorbed all metal from nearby, including the protective dome from Bunker IB.11. Only three other projects from Bunker IB.11 survived, along with a visiting project from the VIIIB bunkers.
    Post-Development:
      Project IB.11-29 deactivated and went dormant for a number of years after the explosion. It was recovered and reanimated only when a team from Bunker Element arrived to investigate a lack of reports. Bunker Element took in the surviving projects of Bunker IB.11 and added the prefix to all identification codes, along with code names. Project IB.11-29 was code named "Copper" at Bunker Element. Training was resumed for the reactivated projects. Measurements of resistance from Project IB.11-29 increased in frequency, and reports of fights among the salvaged projects were filed. "Copper" took a hostage code named "Noble" and escaped through the protective dome. Search parties have been sent after the defective project, but the project went dormant and was never recovered. Some of the projects still in Bunker Element appear to be affected by Project IB.11-29's absence.
image.jpeg
Copper and Friends
image.jpeg (481.88 KiB) Viewed 342 times

𝕭𝖚𝖈𝖐𝖊𝖙

Yes, I role play
Hey, I write! Coolio!
....More by Bucket
Mind. Blown. >^.^<