Light Dapple Grey Overo-#84 by palindrome.

Based on Click to view
Artist palindrome. [gallery]
Time spent 26 minutes
Drawing sessions 3
3 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Light Dapple Grey Overo-#84

Postby palindrome. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:30 am

Username; ChilliGhost
Show Name; What Goes Around Comes Around
Barn Name; Calamity
Gender; Mare
Eye Color; Lavender
Height; 13.3

This pony has a bad attitude problem. She nips at humans and when she was in the pen with another horse, she hid behind them and stayed on the fence to avoid the people.

Rules and Breed Standards wrote:These guys usually range from 12.3Hh-14.2Hh (or .3 depending) and are strong little guys. They used to pul coal from mines, so they needed to have stamina of a quarter horse but power and accessibility- making them muscular and stout. So please when entering, enter by the standards of breed! Thanks all!<3
Last edited by palindrome. on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the birds work for the bourgeoisie

Area II Showjumpers
Resales, Retraining, Repurposing horses-
And drawing them when i get the chance (-:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
palindrome.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Light Dapple Grey Overo-#84

Postby Cardinal. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:44 am

Show Name; What Goes Around Comes Around
Barn Name; Calamity
Height; 13.3 hh

She's gorgeous <3
Last edited by Cardinal. on Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cardinal.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Important Tasks 3/8 - I have no life cx

Postby Cardinal. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 am

I had already driven miles in order to collect this horse, it's number #002. One of the first ones to come in. Just the thought of it was enough to keep my weary muscles going, the long drive was starting to take it toll. The clattering of the railer behind me was the only thing keeping me fully awake, apart of the excitement which welled inside of me. I had registered several months in advance. As far as I knew the operation wasn't very easy. I'd heard there were two groups of Irish War Ponies at the meeting point. One group was from abandonment and the other taken from an abusive home. I could never understand why people did such things... horses are trusting and amazing animals if you treat them right and give them the respect that they deserve. Taking a deep breath in and then out I stop myself from getting worked up and just in time as the turn into the encampment is up ahead.

Turning the vehicle along the corner, I can already see a few trailers parked with the back end open, ready for an awaiting horse. Just looking to the building, I can already see horse shuffling about in their separated container like stalls. Parking up, I walked to back, my jeans covered in dust from the drive; along with my purple jacket. Unlatching the horse trailer, I swing open both doors, creating a wide entrance the my horse enter into. "002...002...002." I kept repeating the horses number over and over. Not only to remember it but just to keep myself sure that it was definitely my horse. I am certainly one to doubt myself when it comes to remembering things.

Entering the building the musky scent of horse and dirt filled my nose, however, my eyes were immediately diverted to looking at the numbers. "#123...#121...#119..." Sighing gently I was at the wrong end of the big warehouse like structure but heading in the right direction. After about ten minutes of searching, I come across my horse. Number 002. My eyes widened, it was gorgeous. Looking at the tag it read; "#002 - Mare - Bites" I examined her carefully. By what looks to be a dapple grey coat and a few white markings, it was absolutely smothered in mud and dirt, in some places her mane and tail going green due to the mud being moist and in such a thick layer in some places.

Looking back at her body language, she was already in an aggressive pose. Ears pinned against her skull and head hanging low down, not to mention he had her body slightly turned so her rump was ready to turn quickly. She was going to be a difficult case. Just to test how difficult, I moved my hand within the confines of the enclosed area, her head launching out and narrowly missing my hand. Sighing gently, I walked over to a long table positioned near by, signed a few papers confirming ownership/adoption. Giving a warm smile to the man at the table, now I had to try and get the horse out and into the trailer.

With a little help and half an hour of time, a trail of metal barriers had been set up in a long trail. Reversing my trailer up so that the only possible way was into it. A tall man pushed the mare out of her enclosure and along the path. She galloped forward. At least that wasn't too hard but as soon as she saw the trailer, the small mare skidded to a halt and tried to turn back in which the men had already started moving another metal barrier towards her rump. The dapple mare kicked and bucked at it aggressively and with fear as it pushed her towards the trailer. Turning away, I felt bad for the mare. Having to go through such things after already begin traumatised by her previous home.

I refused to turn back around until I heard the harsh smashing of hooves against the metal grounding. Inside the large trailer, there was a reasonable amount of hay at the back, just as a little more encouragement. The loud clang of the doors shutting and the clack of the lock got me excited. She was officially mine and I was still yet to come up with a name, both for show and barn. I would think about it on the way home, for now I had to get driving. My horse was skittish, aggressive and afraid of human beings, yet seemed perfectly fine with the other horses at such close quarters. That gave me an idea.

The trip was long and arduous. I could hear the mare in the back gently pacing, but I wanted to know what she was thinking. Probably that she was going to be abandoned or abused again, I wasn't sure which background she arrived from. Twisting up a dirt and pebbled road; both car and trailer bounced along the road. I had already asked my family to set up a few barriers to guide the mare more than force her through. I felt that maybe a more relaxed approach should be taken rather than the more "Let be quick we have more to do" approach the men and woman had taken at the collection point.

Bringing the vehicle to a stop, I could see the barn doors already open, a row of empty stalls lining the structure. Its colour not the typical red and white but just the bare wooden walls. Sanded to give a smooth and glossy finish. Reversing slowly, the trailer turned awkwardly until it was facing the entrance of the barn. The car facing an odd in a seemingly unnatural position and angle. Cracking open the door, I stepped outwards, "You got the stall ready?" I called, receiving a few confirming nods from the rest of the workers, "A hay barrier by the open stall?" I asked, I had to make sure everything went perfectly. Again the nods arrived, almost in perfect unison. "Alright, now form a human wall, to guide this mare into the barn and hopefully into the stall." I explained, clearly. Nothing could go wrong... not now anyway.

I watched as the group lined up by the trailer, arms spread to form a barrier to the mare. I could see her fearful expression, yet she was also slightly curious. "Ready?" I questioned, opening the door and standing behind it. The mare was slow to come out, her first tentative steps onto properly solid ground. Dust flying up short distances as she stepped. Her head low to the group, nostrils flared and taking in the smell of her surroundings. I watched as she walked forward, her curious nature taking over it seemed. However, she stopped to stare at the people guiding her into her new home. Getting close to one person before spooking slightly and jumping away.

Several minutes passed, our arms were getting tired now, but eventually the mare stepped onto the wooden floors of the barn. Stepping off, unsure of the sound her feet were making against the new material. She smelt the wood again, her breath pushing dust and dirt away. Finally... she was walking in. A weight was quickly lifted from my shoulders. I might actually be able to do this. A smile and a light laugh echoed from me, causing the mare to stop and turn her head. "Great.." I thought. "Your alright mare." I said softly, taking a few steps back. The mare continued slowly into the depths of the barn, reaching the barrier of hay within a few moments. Not wanting to cause any more fuss, the mare turned slowly into the stall. Wary still. This space was smaller but another door in front was open, leading to a singular outdoor area all equines had access to all year round.

I walked quickly up the barn, being careful not to spook the mare. I slowed my pace as I neared the stall. It seemed the mare was quite happily exploring the outside area already. It looked like she preferred the outdoor space to the indoor one. A small smile creased its way onto my face, my hands reaching slowly to slide the stall door shut. The mare paced as soon as she realised she couldn't get out, her ears fell against her skull and not even the enticement of hay, a basic food source and not exactly very nutritious, could take her attention away. A few of the volunteers had come up behind me at this point, the mare lowering her head towards us as the group gathered. "We should leave her to calm down for a bit... let her settle in. At least she is safe, with basically clean everything." I explained to the group. "Agreed." One of the older female volunteers added, before taking some of the younger ones away to do some other evening chores.

It was a new day and barely got any sleep. We had gotten Calamity a few days ago, giving her time to settle in properly and allow her to get used to the daily routine. I had named her in the few days that we had had her, she had a barn name now all I had to do was give her a show name. However, I still had to wait to see if she could be trained to the point where she could be showed without spooking. I got dressed, had breakfast, brushed my teeth and did all my morning chores. I did rush them but there were only a few things left unfinished, one of the volunteers could finish them up, they knew how important Calamity was to me. Thank the lord for understanding people.

I stood for several hours, just waiting outside the stall. Allowing Calamity to come accustom to my presence, even though she did become distressed. I got the usual pinned ears and nipping actions from here but she soon calmed. "Only three hours." I muttered contently, looking at my watch. It read 11am. I couldn't believe I had been out here since eight this morning. If that wasn't dedication then I don't know what was. Putting my hand in slowly, I became distracted allowing the dapple mare to nip my hand. Bringing me back to the sharp reality. She still didn't trust me like the other equines, I couldn't just dangle limbs in her reach. Although I had learned the hard way, it was a step forward because afterwards she returned to doing her own thing. I was getting somewhere. I continued to do this for days. Brining treats every now and then; for example carrots, sugar cubes and various other bits and pieces. I couldn't yet hand feed here, so I simply threw the treats into the stall, a fair distance from me. I found she really liked the sugar cubes. "A sweet tooth huh?" I chuckled gently, only to receive a sidewards glance from the mare.

Another few days passed and I continued to repeat the same process to the point where I thought I could enter the stall with her. Sliding the door open, I stepped inside. Much to Calamity's surprise. She immediately became wary, although I had my secret weapon hidden in my pocket. Sugar cubes and lots of them. Stepping forward, I slowly pushed the mare out into the outdoor area. The weather was nice today and the outdoor area was slightly more spacious than the stall. I threw a few treats to the floor which she quite happily munched up. I smiled gently, stepping from the stall and into the outdoor area. Bringing us closer than he had ever been so I thought I would try something. Taking two sugar cubes I held them in the palm of my hand, I held my hand out flat.

Immediately I saw her eyes light up at the prospect of more sugar cubes but she was wary of me. I stood still and allowed her time and space to think about it herself. Her posture was unsure yet curious at the same time and interesting yet positive combination. I watched as Calamity took a few tentative steps towards me. I was half expecting her to smell my hand and ignore the sugar cubes and bolt away but no... she surprised me and lipped up the sugar cubes. She was an amazing animal. Although her dapple coat was dirtied, that could be sorted once I gained her trust.

I waited a few moments, watching her mouth crunch the sugar cubes into nothing. Moving my other hand slowly, I went to pet her face. I tried too soon. The mare bolted away and turned in a few circles, a few distressed sounds coming from her. I felt bad... I had pushed her too hard. So instead of forcing it, I continued up to that point for just under a week. Slowly gaining that trust... until I managed to place my hand on the bridge of her nose. Her fur was soft but could do with a good clean up. Moving my hand slowly I managed to pet her softly for a few moments before she pulled away. Now I was starting to gain some trust. I continued until I was able to pet her from any direction, within reason of course. I had finally gained the trust of this mare. Calamity was starting to realise no all humans were bad and harsh.

Today was the day I could remove the thick layers of dirt and grime from Calamity's coat. God knows how long it had been there, latching onto her dapple grey coat like a dead weight. I was excited about what I was going to unearth. The white patches on her face, the bottom of her legs and on the very side of her rump revealed to me there was something special about her coat. Calamity was not just a dapple grey, there was something a little more intricate about her coat. I walked at a slow pace towards her stall, the mare happily munching on the hay net placed in the back left corner of her confines. I had sugar cubes in my pocket, ready to gain her attention. "Morning Calamity." All I got in return was a blank stare as her head lifted to look in my general direction, ears fully pricked and listening. It was already clear, Calamity had no idea what I was saying to her.

Sliding open the stall door, Calamity stepped back cautiously. She still had her slight nervous disposition. I sighed gently, but I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. "Come on mare!" I called in a high pitched voice, beginning to walk away from her and down towards the shower block. The sound of clacking hooves signal she is following diligently, but they stop several times to investigate something but always start up again. It gets to the point where I must return to guide her using my hand gently placed on her head. Calamity always finds a way to get distracted.

Leading her into the shower block, Calamity steps back a few times. Her hooves clacking against the tiled floors, creating a slight and new echo, which extended half way up the wall, returning back to the bare wood with a glossy finish. The good weather and heat of the day should dry the wood quickly, avoiding any chance of water damage. Manoeuvring Calamity around, I take the hose into my hand and slowly run the water onto the floor. It may be the first time she has ever seen running water. To begin with the mare was startled and unsure, moving away from it, however, after a few minutes I was able to start running it over her body. My hand reaching up and removing the loose dirt easily. The water running a deep, dark brown.

The water was between cold and luke warm, so not to shock her body. I applied soap to the back, chest, flanks and legs, noticing her overgrown hooves which had been caked in mud. Touching her legs would prepare her for the farrier. She seemed fine with it to begin with but soon I got a nasty nip from her. Time to leave them alone, luckily I had already rubbed in the soap a decent amount there. I now focused on rubbing in the rest of the soap else where.

Mud was already pouring off her body and onto the floor and in my hands, much to my disgust. Good. The dirt was loose. Bringing the hose back, I lifted it gently, allowing the water to cascade down down her flanks and onto the floor. Only then did I think the sun baked mud could be removed. After sorting that out, I move to the mane and tail. The tail must have been heavy with several large clumps of mud rocks matted into the hair. Moss beginning to grow on both mane and tail. I reached up and began to pull and tug gently at the mane and tail, removing the moss and dirt at a snails pace.

"Finally!" I cry out, making Calamity jump slightly. Every bit of dirt is removed from her dapple grey coat, showing me overo markings. "She's beautiful." I muttered, standing and staring at my soggy mare. A smile quickly takes over my expression but not for long when I get a closer look at her body condition. Very thin and with sores on her flanks from laying down on hard floors and for long periods of time. I should get the vet out as soon as it can be arranged.

W.I.P

W.I.P

W.I.P

W.I.P

Cardinal.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me