Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Dragonling Adopts by Duskshine

Artist Duskshine [gallery]
Time spent 4 hours, 36 minutes
Drawing sessions 13

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Dragonling Adopts

Postby Duskshine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

RULES:
-This is a closed species
-At least for now, I am the only person allowed to make individuals of this species
-In order to adopt a dragonling, look at its individual thread. Each will have its own contest created by the artist. Some may be the same, some may be different.
-If you submit a form on a thread but do not get the dragonling, you will gain +1 token which can be put towards a custom later on

NOTICES:
Eventually I will have an artist contest so I won't be the only one making these. However, I have written up somewhat complex rules for this species with regards to breeding and new-dragonling-generation, so I'm holding off on that until I have them written out clearly and concisely. In the meantime I will be creating new ones for adopters in order to show off the many possible traits of the species.

I am still writing posts to explain everything about Dragonlings, but everyone is welcome to post questions or comments. All criticisms are welcome so long as they are constructive- that doesn't necessarily mean positive, but no unnecessarily mean ones. If you have suggestions for improvements or additional traits, by all means suggest.
Last edited by Duskshine on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:44 am, edited 14 times in total.
Duskshine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Species Information

Postby Duskshine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:44 pm

Dragonlings are, as the name suggests, relatives of the dragons. However, these quasi-intelligent* creatures are much smaller, at about 3-5 feet at the withers (the joint between the back and neck). On occasion you will come across one that still has useable dragon wings: these, however, are extremely rare, statistically occurring less than 5% of the time. This is because they were genetically engineered as an experiment, crossed first with house cats and then with lions to achieve the highly variable species that exists today. See the bottom of this post for traits common to every dragonling.

Dragonling Intelligence and Happiness wrote:*They are considered sentient, but their language is limited, they cannot be taught to speak human language, and unless very carefully educated rarely achieve reasoning skills above the average eight-year-old. They are quite easily trained from hatching and make friendly pets if never taught to hunt for themselves. Larger ones may be taught to pull light traps (small carriages) and might be raced, while smaller ones are more commonly house pets. Some use them like hunting-dogs, though often these dragonlings are unhappy as they perceive that they are being used as tools. They enjoy the hunting aspect, but since it often makes them unsuitable for being pets they lose half of their social lives and unless kept among other dragonlings become despondent. This sociability is what makes them great pets, and also what makes the ones that pull and race happier, as their hunting instincts are not "activated" so to speak. This is further explained at the bottom of this post.

Dragonlings may be scaly, furry, or simply have a thick, tough hide. Some traits are only compatible with a certain skin type- for instance, you will never find a furry dragonling with a raptor tail or a scaly one with cat ears, but below are all of the trait possibilities for dragonlings thus far. More may be added later. Not all have varying rarities.
_
_
_

Possible Traits:

Head Traits:
Common: Lion's mane|Cat ears|2 or 4 Horns|Small webbed ears
Uncommon: Dragon Whiskers|6 Horns|Large webbed ears|Biceratops horns|Nose horn
Rare: Triceratops horns|Head shield

Tail type:
Raptor tail|Lion tail|Cat tail|Fluffy cat tail|Dragon tail

Back traits:
Common: Mane|Straight sail|Back fin
Uncommon: Spines|Plates

Wings:
Common: No wings
Rare: Dragon wings
Tongue type:
Short|Long|Forked

Muzzle type:
Square|Tilted|Pointed

Skin type:
Scales|Hide|Fur

Pupil shape:
Common: Round
Uncommon: Slits
Rare: Diamond

_
_
_

Dragonling bodies and behavior:
Dragonling bodies are thin and light, shaped similarly to a greyhound's, though marked by large paws, longer necks, and shorter heads. On their paws are retractable claws, three on the hind and four on the front. The fourth toe of the front paws can, with a little difficulty, be used as a thumb, though this feels unnatural to the dragonlings and they don't like doing it for long.

They walk like cats and have the same lithe flexibility, particularly the furrier and smaller ones. As a rule they like humans, though like cats sometimes their love can manifest in strange ways. Sometimes they love being petted or scratched and couldn't get enough attention from their families, and other times they like sitting in small or high places and seem to almost ignore their families. They are all truly excellent jumpers and fences can't keep them in.

Their relationships with their owners can sometimes be strange, given their unusual intelligence. They are intensely loyal to the family they live with, so if they change hands it is best that it happen young. They become despondent if maltreated or if their owner is ill. Even old dragonlings can bond with a new family, but it is difficult for them.

The more intelligent and educated ones enjoy intellectual stimulation like puzzles and games, and though they can't speak they can understand speech and writing, and find other ways to communicate. A couple subject to a scientific study in dragonling intelligence were able to write essays with keyboards modified for their paws, proving their sentience. They have the same rights as children, and though the most intelligent are fighting for more the majority aren't aware of their lack of citizenship and rather enjoy being pets most of the time, though this behave more like children than pets when they aren't being used to pull carts or hunt.

Speaking of hunting, the previous information on hunting instinct may not have been very clear. When dragonlings hatch, they are quickly socialized and, since they usually are fed by their human families, never develop the instinct to hunt. However, feral dragonlings and hunting dragonlings socialize their hatchlings to hunt food, and their sharpened desire to chase down animals makes them dangerous to have around people, other pets, and children. These dragonlings are still friendly and love humans, but are jumpier and may attack before thinking when surprised.

Dragonlings have no biological genders, but families usually assign the dragonling pronouns for ease of speech. Any two adults may breed. Each dragonling egg hatches in one week, and they take four months to reach adulthood. Every adult may breed five times in their lifetime, each time producing one or two eggs. Dragonlings need one month between each breeding before they can breed again.
Last edited by Duskshine on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
Duskshine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Breeding and Genetics

Postby Duskshine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 am

A brief explanation of dragonling genes:

Each dragonling has one of each kind of trait, except head-traits, of which each has three.
These three head-traits may be incompatible with each other or with the dragonling's skin type, because they are ranked in order of dominance. No particular trait has dominance over any other; it is entirely to do with the random generation or custom-making of the dragonling. A dragonling may have duplicates of the same trait or have no trait filling a rank, and while a dragonling may possess the genes for three different traits, not every trait may be expressed. For example, let's take hypothetical dragonling #1's case:
Hypothetical dragonling #1 has the following head-traits in this order:
1. Head shield
2. Large webbed ears
3. Nose horn

While this dragonling carries the "large webbed ears" trait and might pass it on to its offspring, you will not see any webbed ears on this dragonling because that trait is incompatible with the "head shield" trait. If the rankings were so:
1. Large webbed ears
2. Head shield
3. Nose horn

Then we would see the webbed ears and not the head shield. In either case, the nose horn would also be expressed because it is not incompatible with any skin type or higher-ranking head trait.

A brief explanation of breeding:
The likelihood of any particular trait being passed down to offspring depends entirely on how common the two possible traits are.

Common/Common, Uncommon/Uncommon, or Rare/Rare: 50/50
Common/Uncommon or Uncommon/Rare: 65/35
Common/Rare: 75/25

There must be at least 3 generations between to dragonlings and their common ancestor before they may breed together- that's 3rd cousins. Their common ancestor must be at least their great great grandparent.
Last edited by Duskshine on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Duskshine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Token accounts

Tokens are earned by applying to receive a dragonling unsuccessfully. Every time you enter a dragonling contest and lose, you gain 1 token which, when accumulated, can be used to pay for a custom dragonling. You must fill out the form in order to qualify for a token. If you don't want a custom, you can PM me to have your token account removed from the list below, and if you would like it back you can PM me again to start with a new, empty token account.

Custom costs:
3 tokens = dragonling with your choice of common traits (must be compatible with each other) and your choice of color scheme
each uncommon trait costs 1 extra
each rare trait costs 2 extra
See the traits post for rarities.

Many traits do not have rarities and may be chosen more or less freely, though certain restrictions apply. Some traits are incompatible with each other and I will write up a full explanation soon, I just want to get the adopts up and running.

Token accounts below:
None yet!
Last edited by Duskshine on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Duskshine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Strikes, bans, and sad stuff

Thankfully empty!
Simple rules here: Three strikes, you're out. Don't complain about not getting a dragonling, they're awarded as fairly as possible. Don't spam or harass. A ban doesn't mean you lose all previously adopted dragonlings, but you are banned from breeding your dragonlings and gaining new ones and I don't want to see you on the threads again. So- just be sensible. I'm not strict but I do get annoyed like any human and this site has rules.
Duskshine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Dragonling Archives

Postby Duskshine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am

Ownerless:

Owned: