Forum rules
Reminder: Copying another person's art without permission to reproduce their work is a form of art-theft!
Click here to see the full Art Rules!

Kingdom of the Meneli - Adopts Open by Kitty~.

Artist Kitty~. [gallery]
Time spent 2 hours, 9 minutes
Drawing sessions 1
11 people like this Log in to vote for this drawing

Versions of this drawing that people have created recently

Kingdom of the Meneli - Adopts Open

Postby Kitty~. » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm

The sand beneath your toes is wet and squishy, and the waves that roll across the sand quiet, calmed by last night's ferocious storm. With a languid sigh, you stretch, slowly making your way around the debris on the beach to prevent any injuries, and peering closer to some objects as they catch your intereast. Suddenly, from the corner of your vision, there's a bright flash of a navy and red tail and you turn rapidly, catching sigh of fins before the vanish beneath the sea's surface. What was that? You question yourself in wide-eyed shock, before quickly racing down the beach, keeping the flashing fins in your line of sight as the creatures ducks above and below the sea's surface. Before you know it, the end of the beach is already coming up to you - the large rocky cliff arch that seperates the beach and is practically impassable, even to those daredevil rock climbers that you see on t.v. However, the tide's exceptionally low today, and for the first time you catch sight of a small path, winding it's way close to the rocks and leading to the other side of the cliff. The tail beckons you, almost as though it's calling, and you glance back down the beach worridly before you follow after carefully. What meets you on the other side takes your breath away - a small cove, filled with a sparkling collection of large rock pools that were illuminated by faint beams of sunlight that shine through the stone roof. And in those rock pools lie...Creatures. You don't know what they're called, but they kind of resemble humaniod fish and you're frozen in shock until the navy and blue tail you were chasing pops up on a rock next to you and lifts her nose in the air, a cocky smirk dancing on her lips as she takes in your astonishment.

"Welcome to the Meneli Cove."

Oh! Hello there! How are you?
    I see you've stumbled across Viv. Silly Meneli, we've told her to stay out of the humans' way before, but has she listened to us? Not once!
    Well, I suppose there's not much we can do about it now...-sighs- Honestly Viv, you should be more careful!
    What's that? You want to try and talk to a Meneli? Well...I don't know. You'll have to find one that wants to talk to you first! Most Meneli are scared of humans, you'see, so it's pretty hard for us to get close to them. Although I'll let you in on a secret - if you can impress a Meneli, usually they'll decide you're worth their time, and they'll stay around you a lot. But that's only if you can impress them! And trust me - it's not as easy as it sounds. Meneli are picky folk...

But to impress a Meneli, I suppose you should have some more about them, huh?

Meneli wrote:The Meneli are creatures of the ocean who are closely related to fish and are rarely seen by humans, perferring to stay out in the open depths than come close to where the ocean meets the shore.
However, occasionally a Meneli will desire to see the human world and will come up here, to the Meneli Cove. You're pretty special, you know. The water protects it's own, and humans can only find the grove if they enter by the sea or during low tide.

Meneli closely resemble sea creatures such as fish, eels, jellyfish and starfish.
      Meneli live in large kingdoms, or clans, spread throughout the known world.
      Meneli can grow from between 30 centimeters to 5'8 in height, depending on both how old they are and what type of fish they are.
      Most Meneli rarely come up to the human world, perferring to stay in their underwater kingdoms, but if you can impress them, a Meneli may decide to spend thier time with you.
      There are two different types of Meneli - the fish Meneli, which are the most common, and the Demimari, who take after Dolphins, Sharks and Whales. Demimari are pretty rare though, so you probably won't meet one very often...

Meneli are owned by kitty~. and ThunderStarStorm. Do not use the linearts without permission, and do not attempt to take as your own work.

INDEX
r u l e s + w a r n e d & b a n n e d
s t a f f + a r c h i v e s
f e a t u r e s
r e a d o p t i o n + n u r s e r y
a f f i l i a t e s
F A Q
n e w s
OUTDEX
a r t i s t . c o m p - not open
a r c h i v e s
n u r s e r y - not open
Last edited by Kitty~. on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitty~.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Rules

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Every artist, mod, adopter, archivist and even the general populace of Chickensmoothie deserve your respect - this thread will be no different! If anyone finds any user being overly cruel to another person or being mean about their Meneli/Demimari, then I'm afraid you will be put on the banned list.
      This thread operates on a three-strike system - aka, three strikes against anyone and you're on the banned list, which means you cannot post on this thread! If you have one strike, you cannot post on here or any adopts for 48 hours. Two strikes and you can't post for 78 hours. Three strikes and you're on the banned list.
      Please do not steal anything on this thread! Wheter it be forms, coding or the lineart itself, both kitty~. and I have put copious amounts of work into creating this, and the people who try and adopt have also worked hard and done as much as they can. If you are caught theiving, no matter if you claim that you didn't know, I'm afraid we will put you on the warned list.
      When you adopt a Meneli or a Demimari, you have sworn to protect them! You may not sell them or the design, and you must tell us if you'd like to put them up for readoption.
      Please do not guilt trip any artist or those who enter the comps by telling them, 'oh, I have no chance now that I've seen your form', 'oh, its obvious you'll win, you have such beautiful art in comparison to mine' - for one thing, it makes people feel terrible! For another, it's quite horrible for an artist to come back to a Meneli adopt and realise that someone has been mean to them about their choice.
      Guest artists will be chosen by kitty~. and myself, and will make a total of four adopts before they will have to - sadly - leave our ranks.
      Custom Meneli or Demimari are not avaliable at this time - they are only for the permanant staff right now, or for those Kitty feels deserving of the gift.
      In total, you may own three Meneli or Demimari and staff may own three plus their personal custom.
      For artists - please try and post at least one new design every two weeks or so (more is always appreciated!) and make sure you close the adoption comp on time! If you make a promise about judging - 'I'll have them judged by tomorrow', or 'this contest will close on the 28th' or, 'your form must have at least one piece of drawn art, commisioned by or drawn by you' than you must follow that promise! If you set rules when making an adoptable, you must follow them! Give everyone a fair chance to win the Meneli of their dreams! ^u^

None so far - shall we try and keep it this way~?
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Staff & Archives

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Ⓐⓡⓣⓘⓢⓣⓢ

Image Kitty~. ;; Head Artist - Lineart Creator

Mimi911 ;; Artist - Mod

Guest Artist Application:
        Code: Select all
         [[center][b] [size=150]I'd like to be a Guest Artist please![/size] [/b]
        [b]Username:[/b]
        [b]Design Examples:[/b]
        [b]Why Do You Want To Be An Artist?:[/b]
        [b]Anything Else:[/b][/center]

Ⓜⓞⓓⓢ

Image ThunderStarStorm ;; Head Mod - Occasional Artist - Archivist

Mimi911 ;; Artist - Mod

Mod Application:
         [center][b] [size=150]I'd like to be a Moderator please![/size] [/b]
        [b]Username:[/b]
        [b]How often are you online?:[/b]
        [b]Anything Else:[/b][/center]

Ⓐⓡⓒⓗⓘⓥⓘⓢⓣ

Last edited by ThunderStarStorm on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Features

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Meneli wrote:Image

Meneli wrote:
Colours/Design

Meneli are desinged after fish and other sea creatures like star fish, eels and jellyfish.

Their design and colours usually match the colour and design of the fish.

Meneli wrote:
Markings

The more markings, bracelets, piercings or tattoos a Meneli has, the higher they are in rank in the kingdom.

Simillairly, the closer the fish they are designed after are to the bottom of the ocean, the higher they are in rank, and the closer to the surface, the lower in rank.

Markings/Tattoos can come in any colour, created from different underwater plants and fish scales that have been found.

Bracelets, peircings and the like are usually created with pearls, shells, pieces of smooth broken glass, shiny pebbles or - occasionally - fish bones. However, most Meneli quite like fish, and see using them as part of their markings quite barbaric.

Meneli wrote:
Tails, Fins & Hair

The Meneli's tail and fins look like the fish they are fashioned after. They do not have pericings in their tails and only very rarely in their fins, as it is very sensitive.

A Meneli's hair is usually quite long and drifty - even for the males - as they quite like it when other Meneli will braid it and spend time with them, but most Meneli will usually have it pinned back slightly so that it doesn't get caught on anything. The usual length is around shoulder-blades or shorter.

Meneli wrote:
Friendships & Clans

The Meneli are a very close group of creatures - although generally sorted via Fish (eg. Goldfish Meneli with other Goldfish-based Meneli) - they all will usually live in close kingdoms around the Mid-Atlantic and Mariana Trench areas.

There are many smaller kingdoms of Meneli spread throughout the world, the third largest being the one of the coast of the Great Barriar Reef in Australia, however most kingdoms don't interact very often as the change in temperature for them is as deadly as it is to their fish breathen.

Meneli are rarely solitary creatures - most need at least one friend around them, or will grow quite lifeless and sad.

Demimari wrote:Image

Demimari wrote:
Colours/Design

Demimari are incrediably rare, and are much more human looking than the Meneli - they are what originally started the mythology of Mermaids and Mermen, and usually take after creatures such as Dolphins, Sharks, Whales and Porpises.

Their design and colours usually match the colour and design of their creature, be it shark, dolphin, sea snake or anything along those lines.

Most Demimari have dark skin, but it all depends on where they live and what creature they're closest to.

Demimari wrote:
Markings

A Demimari will always have multiple tatoos, piercings and braclets as they are both rare and very high up on the social ladder. Most Demimari are close to royalty.

Demimari tattoos are generally inked onto their skin in dark blue and are usually dark-skinned.

Bracelets, peircings and the like are usually created with pearls, shells, pieces of smooth broken glass, shiny pebbles or - occasionally - fish bones.

Demimari wrote:
Tails, Fins & Hair

Demimari tails are much stronger and more durable than Meleni tails, as they aren't usually fashioned after sea creatures with scales. A Demimari is also usually bigger than the Meneli, and have no problems eating fish if they're very very hungry.

Demimari do not have fins like the Meneli do - they have ear fins, and occasionally will have webbed fingers, but other than that Demimari only have thier tail.

A Demimari has large gills on the sides of their stomach and small gills on their necks that help them process air better than the Meneli, and can stay above surface for longer than a Meneli.

Demimari wrote:
Friendships & Clans

Demimari do not form friendships very easily, as most are noble born and usually interact within their own social circles. As well, Dolphin Demimari and Shark Demimari are the most common, and both eat fish, which the Meneli don't particularally like.

Demimari clans are more seperated than Meneli clans, their creatures usually being enemies with one another and as there are only four main clans (The Dolphins, The Sharks, The Whales and The Porpoises,) they generally stick together.

All Demimari belong to a clan - if they don't, then they have yet to form a clan or they've been kicked out of their old one. A Demimari who has been banished from their Clan is usually a betrayer, and will often either have braclets/peircings removed or gain a tattoo on their back or arm that mark them as a traitor.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Nursery and Readoption

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Ⓡⓔⓐⓓⓞⓟⓣⓘⓞⓝ
      If you don't wish to take care of your Meneli anymore, then please say so! I'll inform the artist of your descion, and we can re-open a contest for them - although instead of the artist choosing the winner of the Meneli, you will have to decide which will be best for them!

Any Meneli up for readoption will be listed here, so be sure to check and see if you like any here!

Ⓝⓤⓡⓢⓔⓡⓨ
      At this point in time, the nursery is not open, however once the Meneli are up and running, if we have enough requests for child Meneli and can create the lines, then we'll see what we can do!

Nursery wrote:
      Forms wrote:
      When a Meneli is first born, they stay inside fish eggs around the size of a young human's palm. After approximately two human days, a small baby Meneli is born - as Meneli don't ever know their parents, they are adopted by other sea creatures to protect them - that creature is usually the one the Meneli is designed after.

As a Meneli grows, they start to take on a more humanoid appearance and thier guardian will gather materials for them to have thier first bracelet - a small fish scale from them that a Meneli will usually keep for a majority of thier life. This fish scale, although not worn on every occasion, is very precious to a Meneli. This takes three human days after a Meneli is first hatched.

When a Meneli is fully grown - after around eight human days from when they have been given their fish scale bracelet - they will create their own tattoo design and this signals their transition from child to adult.

Peter Pan Syndrome wrote:Sometimes - though no-one really understands why - a Meneli will be born undersized and will stay that way for a vast majority of thier life. These PPS Meneli usually bond with different sea creatures to protect them, like Baracudas, sea snakes, squids, octopus, jellyfish or other dangerous creatures.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Affiliates

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

If you wish to be affiliated with the Meneli, please just ask! ^u^ I'm not very likely to say no. :3

[url=http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2016784] [img]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/286/0/2/bubbles_by_thunderstarstorm-d6qa5gz.png[/img] [/url]

Last edited by ThunderStarStorm on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

How do I adopt a Meneli?
      To adopt a Meneli, you merely need to either check the archives and search for one that you like, or look above at the artist panels for designs that you want. Please be sure to check if the Meneli hasn't already been adopted, however!

How do I adopt a Demimari?
      Demimari are exceptionally special - they have different line art, and most Demimari don't like humans very much, so they'll only come and vist us sometimes. If a Demimari appears, then it's the same as adopting a Meneli, however you must not already own a Demimari and the contest will usually be harder.

How many Meneli/Demimari may I have?
      At this point in time, all those not part of the staff may only three Meneli or two Meneli and one Demimari. Staff are allowed to own three Meneli and their own personal custom -

Can I have/make a custom Meneli?
      No you may not - at this point in time, custom Meneli are not for sale, and the only one who get them are members of kitty and I's staff. For Mods who don't wish to design their own Meneli, if you ask one of the artists, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Will Runner-up Meneli be given to those with good forms?
      Not unless the creator of the Meneli decides to give them a runner-up Meneli. And even then it still has to be run past Kitty and I, just so we can see if they're truly deserving of a Meneli. (Don't worry! We're both really nice - chances are, if the artist says that you deserve a runner-up, you probably do! ^u^)

How do I breed my Meneli?
      Meneli do not have a set breeding cycle - at this point, no Meneli will be bred. However, there are always orphan Meneli showing up in our Nursery, so make sure you check it out!

Can I change my Meneli's design?
      Certainly not! Meneli design are fashioned from the artist's mind - if you don't like the design of the Meneli, why are you trying out for it? Wait until you find the perfect Meneli for you! ^u^
      If you want to add more piercings and stuff like that, then that's okay - but remember, the more piercings a Meneli has, the higher they are in status - so if your Meneli is a fighter fish like Viv, then they won't have very many peircings as they have a low status.

How do I become an artist/mod?
      To become an artist or a moderator, first you must check and see if the artist applications are open - if they are, then just post your form on the thread or PM it to ThunderStarStorm, and we'll see if you have what it takes to become a permanant Meneli artist! Generally, Guest artists are decided once we have around 5-10 forms, and if we like your GA designs, occasionally kitty and I will invite you to stay as a permenant artist.
      To become a mod is the same thing as becoming an artist - fill in the form and post it on the thread. At this point in time, I belive that I'll only need one other Mod to help me keep things running smoothly, so it's both a matter of first in first served and how well I believe you'll do the job.

For any other questions, please feel free to leave a message on the thread or PM ThunderStarStorm - she's always glad to help! ^u^
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

News & Updates

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

13/10/13 The Meneli are officially open! The first adopt should be up soon.

17/10/13 Two adopts have been made, and the guest artist apps + mod auditions are open if anyone would like to try out. I just have to get kitty to change the first post. ^u^
Last edited by ThunderStarStorm on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Events

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Reserved
Last edited by ThunderStarStorm on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThunderStarStorm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Open

Postby ThunderStarStorm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Kingdom of the Meneli is now open!
      ^u^ Feel free to post~
Last edited by ThunderStarStorm on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT
                DO YOU
                    DO
                WHEN ALL YOUR DREAMS
                HAVE GONE
                    W R O N G?

DO?
                WELL,
                YOU DREAM OF A BETTER
                    DREAM;
                THAT'S WHAT YOU DO.
              ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪