Vulture Culture Thread!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

Vulture Culture Thread!

Postby RosyWindFox » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm

Hihi! I'm Rosy and vulture culture is one of my special interests! Just ask my mom who is not happy about the freezer full of dead things.

What is vulture culture? Vulture Culture refers to a community of people with an interest in collecting various forms of remains. This can include feathers, bones and pelts!

Why? People are in the community for different reasons! Some people hunt for food and wanted to learn to preserve pelts too! For some people it's part of their religious or spiritual beliefs (a lot of Wiccans for example) and for some people it's just fascinating or fun! Someone might be drawn to collecting a specific group of species such as birds, a particular type of vc such as wet specimens and they might enjoy making specimens or collecting them more!

What does vulture culture include? Vulture culture commonly includes taxidermy, insect pinning, articulations, bone collecting, diaophonized specimens and collection of various other animal parts such as porcupine quills or bird feathers.

Rules:
NO gorey images
NO illegal specimens
No discussion of illegally collecting any animal materials.

Unfortunately a lot of people in the vulture culture hobby especially newer people don't realize dead things are heavily regulated in a lot of places! Laws vary by country, state, county and city. For instance did you know in the U.S. you're not allowed to own any part of a native bird? This includes bones and pelts but also nests, eggshells and feathers. There is an exception for game birds you hunt with proper permit though. This is due to the MBTA and you can get a nasty fine or even jail time.

So please make sure all your specimens are legal and you're buying and collecting legally and responsibly.
It is YOUR responsibility to check laws and make sure your collection is legal. Illegal specimens are sold everywhere, online, etsy, expos, etc. A lot of people only think of like black market tiger pelts but the reality is a lot of people will illegally sell specimens in broad daylight and even without you knowing!

And some species like bats are not sourced ethically (even if a seller claims they are) so it's super important to research!

Anyways with that out of the way I want to hear about and see your collection! or maybe the coolest piece you've seen. Or something you'd love to have. Or a specimen you're working on!
RosyWindFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Vulture Culture Thread!

Postby *JACKAL* » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:45 am

When I was young I had a couple of bones and teeth from animals, but only a few, and a long time ago. I wanted to possibly dig up my old pets skeletons and have them on display, but there is a lot of boiling and baking (if that's right) and plus I don't want to disturb them. Plus I'm not a taxidermist, so wouldn't know how to pin them together again.

Kinda naf I know. I do like to collect ornamental skulls, but they're not real.

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Staple_tApeworMs » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:35 pm

Ive thought about preserving my pets remains too. Same problems as you, Im pretty sure I wouldnt know what to do once they were dug up and then the risk of damaging them is just too much. I have a couple deer skulls and a raccoon tail from local antique and taxidermy shops! One of my skulls I got cause it still has fur on its skull cap and I dont see that all too often.I used to have a red eared slider skull but somehow it got lost.
·:*¨༺ ♱✮♱ ༻¨*:·

hi! u can call me staple '^'
nonbinary adult <3 i use it/they/she prnouns !!
open for trades/art requests!
Staple_tApeworMs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RosyWindFox » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:43 pm

GummyRatKandi wrote:Ive thought about preserving my pets remains too. Same problems as you, Im pretty sure I wouldnt know what to do once they were dug up and then the risk of damaging them is just too much. I have a couple deer skulls and a raccoon tail from local antique and taxidermy shops! One of my skulls I got cause it still has fur on its skull cap and I dont see that all too often.I used to have a red eared slider skull but somehow it got lost.

If you do really want to try you can always join some communities! That's how I learned almost everything I know, there are also people who do pet commissions with articulations if you'd be more interested in that <3
Lmk if you want a link to the vc server I'm in :)
RosyWindFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby I ♡ Vultures » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:51 am

Make it a club I wanna join dis..I got teeth, bones, heads, taxidermy, feathers, pelts, butterflies & arachnids u accepth me??????! My spides r curled though I haven't learned how 2 pin them
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    ゚。 bury me inside your ♡
     ゚・。・゚

I ♡ Vultures

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asterlie » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:07 pm

I'm very new to vulture culture, but I do find some of it very fascinating! My most recent thing has been watching people do taxidermy, and it's really made me appreciate how these people need to understand the anatomy/structure of an animal to a different extent than I do as an artist. I think there's a special kind of art and beauty that comes with taxidermy and I've learned to truly appreciate the work and dedication that goes into a lot of it.

With that being said though, I don't find myself ever really doing taxidermy - it feels a bit over my head tbh. I do like the idea of collecting some bones and furs (ethically, of course) since I find those similarly fascinating. My collection is currently just one coyote skull, though lol. I've named him Greg and he makes for a great reference for my art ^^
~ A s t e r l i e ~
-- -- -- -- --

Toyhou.se
Dragon Cave
DeviantArt
All Art Credit
-- -- -- -- --
Asterlie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery