Story

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Story

Postby Nebullama » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:50 am

Hello, and welcome! Below is a story written by me and used as part of a tryout for this guy. Feel free to post your opinions!

Satriya took a deep breath, peeking through a break in the curtain. As expected, over a hundred people and kalons had come, chattering happily as they waited for the performance to begin. There were hardly any people he recognized other than his family, which meant most had come for whoever else planned to participate in the contest. He was scared, but knew it would be worth it if he won. He eyed the polished wooden chest, embedded with swirls of gold and blue, with glee. That prize had to be his – not just for the love of shiny items he and every other kalon possessed, but for his family.
“What’cha thinkin’ about?” The voice nearly scared the daylights out of Satriya. He spun around, sighing with relief as he recognized the source – his little sister. “Sorry I can’t be your assistant this time. Ibu said I’m too sick.” The young kalon let out a frustrated little sigh, which made Satriya chuckle.
“It’s fine, Mawar! Just – take it easy, okay? I’m doing this for you.” He grinned, then, winking at her as he flicked his shiny tail towards the stage, where a kalon was performing his act. “Isn’t that guy cute?”
Mawar giggled. “Ew! Stop that, your gayness is making me even sicker.” Satriya grinned again as she continued. “I just wish I could help you out. I w--“ Satriya’s name was called. It was his turn to perform already? The booming pre-recorded voice answered his question.
“CREATURES OF ALL SIZES, PLEASE WELCOME SATRIYA THE POWERFUL!” The audience applauded the kalon as he did his classic colored-smoke introduction. The show continued as he showcased trick after trick, grinning at his family in the seats below after each one. His fur sparkled in the spotlight as he performed, and the stage floor was littered with thrown roses once he finished.
“Thank you, thank you!” He called, bowing multiple times before finally being shooed off the stage. Now to wait. After what seemed like hours, which it very well could have been, the awards were called. Satriya spaced out, listening to the booming voice call out name after name.
“SECOND PLACE GOES TO…SATRIYA THE POWERFUL!” The kalon snapped back into reality at the sound of his name. Second place? He beamed, stepping back onto the stage. Everyone was clapping and whooping. He met Mawar’s gaze, and smiled. But when he was presented with the prize, his heart fell. It was less than half the size of the first-place prize. It would help his sister for a little while, but it wasn’t enough. “AND LASTLY…THE FIRST PLACE PRIZE GOES OUT TO…” As he walked offstage, the announcements were drowned out by the excited chatter coming from the contestants. Satriya stared at his paws as he walked down the corridors, and didn’t get far until he collided with something. Someone, actually. The magician looked up and recognized him immediately as the kalon he had pointed out to Mawar earlier. He blushed, standing up quickly.
“Are you okay?” the kalon asked. His voice was rich with a thick Australian accent. “Hey, are you Satriya? I, uh, heard about your sister. You can have a portion of my prize if you want.” It was then Satriya noticed the chest behind him. The first-place chest.
“You’re the winner?” He asked, his eyes widening as the kalon opened the chest and held out a fraction of the money.
“Here.” Satriya blushed again, taking the money.
“Thank you…thank you…thank you,” he repeated over and over again, unable to express his gratitude in words. His sister would be okay.
Image Image Image
Nebullama

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me