HOMEWORK help center ||HWH||open!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What's your least favourite subject?

Languages
12%
Mathematics
47%
Sciences
9%
World history/geography
21%
Other
11%

Total votes : 793

Re: HOMEWORK help center ||HWH||open!

Postby Scottish9 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

la-baguette wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: biology
YOUR QUESTION: A grey cat and a yellow cat produce 16 offspring. How many are grey, how many are yellow, and how many are calico? Both traits are co-dominant. I'm not really sure how to set up a punnet square with 16 boxes??.. Thank you if you can help ^-^!

What are the parent's genotypes? If one is GG (gray) and one is G'G' (yellow), then all sixteen kittens would be GG', or calico.
So, I am no longer really playing. I am sticking around to collect pets which I will exchange for art. Please only contact me about art or if you need some advice or a listening ear.
Scottish9

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm

sadurday. wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION:(answer here e.g.. Math, sciences) Reading
YOUR QUESTION:(write here)
How can you determine the main idea and enhance your vocabulary?

Might sound weird but this is a type of skill with determining main idea is a huge struggle, sometimes I get confused with details and not sure if they are even important or not. The vocabulary is just a minor, but I really would like my vocabulary to enhance better so it helps me understand more. Thankts to whoever helps. ♡

Usually writing follows a pretty regular format: introduction, discussion, conclusion. Read the beginning. What does the paper seem to be introducing to you? Read the discussion. What's the common theme that the points come back to? Read the conclusion. What idea is the conclusion re-introducing you to? What was the common theme throughout the paper? What did it keep telling you about? That's probably the main theme.
Examples: https://www.landmarkoutreach.org/strate ... main-idea/
How to find a main idea: https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-find-t ... ea-3212047

As for vocabulary, read more! Reading (honestly nothing in particular, just whatever interests you), not only introduces us to new vocabulary, it introduces this vocabulary with context, thus making it more memorable and having it be easier to understand. Just make sure you're actually paying attention to what you read. Sometimes when we don't know something, we skim over it or skip it, which isn't going to make an impression on our brain.
Other than that, another way to enhance vocabulary is - you guessed it - studying a dictionary. Read and review it often. Test yourself. Just tackle small chunks at a time. ^^

la-baguette wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
YOUR QUESTION: A grey cat and a yellow cat produce 16 offspring. How many are grey, how many are yellow, and how many are calico? Both traits are co-dominant. I'm not really sure how to set up a punnet square with 16 boxes??.. Thank you if you can help ^-^!

It's been a while since I did a problem like this, so if anybody has any other advice or way to solve this problem, please speak up! I answered what I thought, but perhaps you know better. <3

Break this problem down! A 16-box punnet square definitely sounds too complicated, when a typical punnet square (or what we usually see with one set of two-component alleles, which is what I'm guessing you have) gives you four boxes. But what do those boxes give you? A statistic. A percentage you can apply to calculate how many cats of each the offspring are expected to be.

Set up your regular punnet square, then do some math. ;3
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CᴀɴᴅʏNᴜᴛᴍᴇɢ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Scottish9 wrote:
la-baguette wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!

What are the parent's genotypes? If one is GG (gray) and one is G'G' (yellow), then all sixteen kittens would be GG', or calico.

Following up from this, you don't need a Punnet square with 16 boxes, that's just the number of kittens produced. Use a typical 4-box square, with GG on one side, G'G' on the other, and cross. You'll get 100% calico, because the traits, being co-dominant, mix into black+yellow/calico. If there was more than one option for the resulting genotype, you'd need to multiply each percentage by the total number of kittens to find the number of kittens of each color - I'm guessing that's why they gave you the litter size, so you could use the technique for future questions. c:

Edit: Pfft, got ninja'd, looks like we've got telepaths in the topic today.

BuddyMaltese wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION:Art History/Art Appreciation
YOUR QUESTION:Could I just please have someone proofread my learning log?
Sorry if it seems silly, I'm just having trouble concentrating on things again cx
[XXX]

Did you just want a spelling and grammar-type check, or a full flow analysis? (I'm not sure how picky you wanted someone to be, but here goes.)
    Current quotes in italics.

- the artistic styles of Rococo and the ones depicting the concepts: I'd change "the ones" to "those" - it shows comparison better, and flows more.
    - When you compare “Fete in a Park” to “"A Rake's Progress,”: double quotation marks.
    - However, this soon changes when he suddenly finds himself...: consider "his character soon changes..."? You use "this" often in that section, and it's somewhat unclear - what's "this" referring to?
    - ...show no such remorse.All around...: no space.
    - ...who should not be viewed with the esteem that Rococo artists such as Watteau paint them with.: it's technically fine to use this, but it sounds awkward. I'd use something like "...who should not be viewed with the esteem in which Rococo artists such as Watteau paint them."
    - I don't know your topic or either painting, but I did a search, and the artist's name should be William Hogarth - you've got "Rogarth" in there twice.
    - Again, don't know your topic, but in the last sentence of the first section, you note that Watteau says money and power corrupts. Earlier, you mentioned that Watteau's paintings show nobles in a positive light - is the shift intentional?
    --
    - ...we can see a philosopher lecturing students on what is presumably issues...: maybe "...we can see a philosopher lecturing students on, presumably, issues..."? If you choose not to change that, "what is" should be "what are" due to the multiple discussed issues.
    - ...education, experimentation, and the pursuit of education...: I wanted to suggest "pursuit of knowledge" because that's more precisely what the students are seeking, and "education" being used twice sounds off, but "knowledge" is in the next sentence... -squibble- Perhaps "...learning, experimentation, and the pursuit of education..."?

Everything's constructive enough, I hope, I always feel like I'm nitpicking when proofreading. Your overall style is great, I love the analysis that went into it. (I can't judge others' art past "is it pretty?" to save my life.)
.......I'm CᴀɴᴅʏNᴜᴛᴍᴇɢ,
...... nice to meet you.
........ImageImage........
Science nerd..........
___...............
Image Image Image Image...ImageImage
CᴀɴᴅʏNᴜᴛᴍᴇɢ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby dovah » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:28 am

I HAVE A QUESTION!

TYPE OF QUESTION:
chemistry
YOUR QUESTION:
can someone just.... explain to me how to do stoichiometry oof

here's a sample problem:

CH₃COOH + NaOH -> NaCH₃OO + H₂O
How many mL of 0.200 M CH₃COOH are needed to react completely with 70.00 mL of 0.155 M NaOH?
dovah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

dovah wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!

TYPE OF QUESTION:
chemistry
YOUR QUESTION:

here's a sample problem:

How many mL of 0.200 M CH₃COOH are needed to react completely with 70.00 mL of 0.155 M NaOH?

Since you asked for general, I'm actually gonna link you to some tutorials:
Written: http://www.learnchem.net/tutorials/stoich.shtml
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfATaoubzA
Written: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... ichiometry
Video: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/che ... ichiometry
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BuddyMaltese » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 am

CᴀɴᴅʏNᴜᴛᴍᴇɢ wrote:
BuddyMaltese wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION:Art History/Art Appreciation
YOUR QUESTION:Could I just please have someone proofread my learning log?
Sorry if it seems silly, I'm just having trouble concentrating on things again cx
[XXX]

Did you just want a spelling and grammar-type check, or a full flow analysis? (I'm not sure how picky you wanted someone to be, but here goes.)
    Current quotes in italics.

- the artistic styles of Rococo and the ones depicting the concepts: I'd change "the ones" to "those" - it shows comparison better, and flows more.
    - When you compare “Fete in a Park” to “"A Rake's Progress,”: double quotation marks.
    - However, this soon changes when he suddenly finds himself...: consider "his character soon changes..."? You use "this" often in that section, and it's somewhat unclear - what's "this" referring to?
    - ...show no such remorse.All around...: no space.
    - ...who should not be viewed with the esteem that Rococo artists such as Watteau paint them with.: it's technically fine to use this, but it sounds awkward. I'd use something like "...who should not be viewed with the esteem in which Rococo artists such as Watteau paint them."
    - I don't know your topic or either painting, but I did a search, and the artist's name should be William Hogarth - you've got "Rogarth" in there twice.
    - Again, don't know your topic, but in the last sentence of the first section, you note that Watteau says money and power corrupts. Earlier, you mentioned that Watteau's paintings show nobles in a positive light - is the shift intentional?
    --
    - ...we can see a philosopher lecturing students on what is presumably issues...: maybe "...we can see a philosopher lecturing students on, presumably, issues..."? If you choose not to change that, "what is" should be "what are" due to the multiple discussed issues.
    - ...education, experimentation, and the pursuit of education...: I wanted to suggest "pursuit of knowledge" because that's more precisely what the students are seeking, and "education" being used twice sounds off, but "knowledge" is in the next sentence... -squibble- Perhaps "...learning, experimentation, and the pursuit of education..."?

Everything's constructive enough, I hope, I always feel like I'm nitpicking when proofreading. Your overall style is great, I love the analysis that went into it. (I can't judge others' art past "is it pretty?" to save my life.)

Thank you so much for the help!
I appreciate it a lot, you caught some pretty significant errors too which I'm so grateful for <3
x
x

| Graphic Design Student | Adult | Vegan |
| Certified oatmeal connoisseur |
Listening to: [x]
---
Hello! I've been taking a break from CS.
If you'd like to contact me, though, feel
free to PM me as I check in
every few days.

BuddyMaltese

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby inkyy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 pm

dovah wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!

TYPE OF QUESTION:
chemistry
YOUR QUESTION:

here's a sample problem:

stoichiometry is basically just ratios! so for this question you need to
-balance the equation - to find out the ratio/relationship between the chemicals
-figure out the number of moles of the substance you have the details of (for this question - number of moles = concentration x volume) (i've never worked in mL, so you might need to convert to litres or whatever you've done before)
-figure out the number of moles you need of the other reactant. so if its a 1 to 1 ratio you need the same number of moles of each one, so the number of moles of the other reactant would be the same as the one you just worked out in the step above. if its a 1 to 2 ratio you need to double it ect ect
-figure out the number of mL you need by doing v = number of moles divided by concentration
hope this helped! if you need more detail/info, let me know

live long and prosper!
pfp by millionfish

inky / they / adult
toyhouse flight rising
trade thread
inkyy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ELDER » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:06 pm

I HAVE A QUESTION!

TYPE OF QUESTION: English

YOUR QUESTION: I need some help making my theme statement flow better and stand out more.

So we have a thematic essay about how 3 short stories share a common theme. The theme I chose relates to selfishness.

This is my theme statement right now: In of these three short stories, each author illustrates that if selfishness is used to prove a point or to achieve personal goals, relationships with others will eventually fall apart and result in self-regret.

I feel like it's really lacking. I need some pointers on how to reword it better so it doesn't sound so awkward, especially in the last segment of the sentence. Any examples could help out a lot! This essay is due on Tuesday so I have plenty of time.

Edit: V Thank you Wasted for the help. I think I understand how to structure/word it better now. The 'Frankenstein-ing sentences' method really opened my eyes. I feel a lot less stressed now.
Last edited by ELDER on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
wip
ELDER

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:06 pm

King-Rat wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!

TYPE OF QUESTION: English

YOUR QUESTION: I need some help making my theme statement flow better and stand out more.

So we have a thematic essay about how 3 short stories share a common theme. The theme I chose relates to selfishness.

This is my theme statement right now: In of these three short stories, each author illustrates that if selfishness is used to prove a point or to achieve personal goals, relationships with others will eventually fall apart and result in self-regret.

I feel like it's really lacking. I need some pointers on how to reword it better so it doesn't sound so awkward, especially in the last segment of the sentence. Any examples could help out a lot! This essay is due on Tuesday so I have plenty of time.

Just general flow/words: In of these three short stories, each author illustrates that if selfishness is used to prove a point or to achieve personal goals, relationships with others will eventually fall apart and result in self-regret.

Tips for fleshing this out a bit: list the three stories OR three authors, explain the connection between selfishness and personal goal (you could list an example from one of the stories), explain why this causes relationships with others to fall apart

Tips for awkwardness: "others" is kinda generic and vague. Did these character's relationships fall apart with everyone? Close friends? Family? Coworkers? Replace "others" with something more specific. "Eventually" is also a weak word. Like, most relationships fall apart "eventually". Try to be more specific. "close relationships will fall apart as a direct consequence of being selfish to achieve a personal goal or prove a point" or something.

General tips for improving a sentence: when you're stuck, pick the parts of a sentence apart and list your main points:
-name the three stories
-selfishness causes relationships to wither and die
Then start from scratch and completely re-write the sentence. You can also Frankenstein your sentence and re-order it, then fix the flow and see if you have the start of something better.

^^
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:40 pm

yondu wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION:
english
YOUR QUESTION:
i’m writng a research paper on the school to
prison pipeline, and it’s pretty much done.
i was wondering if someone could give it a read
and critique it. it’s located here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/106L ... cVxfBweGzQ

Here you go! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mtD ... sp=sharing It's really good: you executed adding citations in a very seamless manner. I can see you actually did research and care about the subject, rather than just sticking random facts in to be able to meet some reference quota. I would suggest reading this out loud to yourself, though. Your most common mistakes were ramble-y sentences that ran on too long so the beginning was disjointed from the end and a lack of consistency. Watch what you capitalize, hyphen, and type or write out (numbers) and then do that consistently throughout your document!

It's good to see a paper on such an invasive topic that is sadly not heard when it's talked about.
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me