HOMEWORK help center ||HWH||open!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What's your least favourite subject?

Languages
12%
Mathematics
47%
Sciences
9%
World history/geography
21%
Other
11%

Total votes : 793

Re: HOMEWORK help center ||HWH||open!

Postby WastedSpace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Burrito Bunny wrote:I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: Chemistry
YOUR QUESTION:
We did an experiment where first we heated water in a beamer, and then placed a rock into that beaker for 3 minutes. After taking the temperature of the rock while I'm the hot water, we removed the rock and placed it into a calorimeter, tracking the heat until we found the temperature the heated rock and room temperature water within reached equilibrium. Here's some data:

Mass of water in the calorimeter: 97.87g
    Mass of the rock: 113.74g
    Initial temperature of the rock (in the hot water): 84.6°C
    Initial temperature of the water in calorimeter: 22.0°C
    Final temperature of rock and water in calorimeter: 34.2°C
    ΔT of water in calorimeter: 12.2°C
    ΔT of rock: 50.4 °C
    Specific Heat (Cp) of rock: 0.86 J/g °C

Soooo, I'm having trouble with this final problem. It asks me to show math but I'm not sure how to get to the answer. Here's the question:

The specific heat (Cp) of lead is 0.13 joules/g°C.
    If you had used 50g of lead instead of the rock in this experiment, would the temperature of the water be more or less than you found? Explain why! (Show your calculations).

I'm pretty sure it wants me to use the equation Q = m • Cp • ΔT. But...i seem to be missing Q and ΔT so I'm not sure how to find the missing variable! I thought maybe I was supposed to assume the initial temperature of the rock and the lead were the same, but even then I'm not sure of the final temperature so I'm unsure of ΔT' s value.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

I'm a little confused at the bolded because you straight up have a ΔT recorded in your data? I think you might be overthinking this bit a little. o.o And if you're just missing Q, then you can solve for Q.

Just looking over the question, let's use a little logic first. The specific heat of lead is much less than the specific heat of rock (way less than half), while the proposed amount of lead used is half of what you used for the rock. That's two of your multiplication variables that have just decreased, so it stands to follow that if you're solving for Q, then the temp of the water of should be less than what you found in your experiment. Right?

Even if you can't complete a calculation, write down your thoughts and reasons - a lot of teachers will give you partial credit for knowing a solid portion of what you were supposed to do, even if you couldn't complete it!

Someone else who comes along might have done chemistry more recently than me (eugh, it's been a year now), though, and have a more helpful answer.
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm

WastedSpace wrote:
Burrito Bunny wrote:I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: Chemistry
YOUR QUESTION:
We did an experiment where first we heated water in a beamer, and then placed a rock into that beaker for 3 minutes. After taking the temperature of the rock while I'm the hot water, we removed the rock and placed it into a calorimeter, tracking the heat until we found the temperature the heated rock and room temperature water within reached equilibrium. Here's some data:

Mass of water in the calorimeter: 97.87g
    Mass of the rock: 113.74g
    Initial temperature of the rock (in the hot water): 84.6°C
    Initial temperature of the water in calorimeter: 22.0°C
    Final temperature of rock and water in calorimeter: 34.2°C
    ΔT of water in calorimeter: 12.2°C
    ΔT of rock: 50.4 °C
    Specific Heat (Cp) of rock: 0.86 J/g °C

Soooo, I'm having trouble with this final problem. It asks me to show math but I'm not sure how to get to the answer. Here's the question:

The specific heat (Cp) of lead is 0.13 joules/g°C.
    If you had used 50g of lead instead of the rock in this experiment, would the temperature of the water be more or less than you found? Explain why! (Show your calculations).

I'm pretty sure it wants me to use the equation Q = m • Cp • ΔT. But...i seem to be missing Q and ΔT so I'm not sure how to find the missing variable! I thought maybe I was supposed to assume the initial temperature of the rock and the lead were the same, but even then I'm not sure of the final temperature so I'm unsure of ΔT' s value.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

I'm a little confused at the bolded because you straight up have a ΔT recorded in your data? I think you might be overthinking this bit a little. o.o And if you're just missing Q, then you can solve for Q.

Just looking over the question, let's use a little logic first. The specific heat of lead is much less than the specific heat of rock (way less than half), while the proposed amount of lead used is half of what you used for the rock. That's two of your multiplication variables that have just decreased, so it stands to follow that if you're solving for Q, then the temp of the water of should be less than what you found in your experiment. Right?

Even if you can't complete a calculation, write down your thoughts and reasons - a lot of teachers will give you partial credit for knowing a solid portion of what you were supposed to do, even if you couldn't complete it!

Someone else who comes along might have done chemistry more recently than me (eugh, it's been a year now), though, and have a more helpful answer.

Thank you! I probably am over thinking it. But, is the ΔT of lead the same as the ΔT of rock? I think that's what's tripping me up. @_@

I'll probably write a bunch of my thoughts down and hope that the teacher takes something lol.
Burrito Bunny
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Burrito Bunny wrote:Thank you! I probably am over thinking it. But, is the ΔT of lead the same as the ΔT of rock? I think that's what's tripping me up. @_@

I'll probably write a bunch of my thoughts down and hope that the teacher takes something lol.

Unless there's an equation or substitution you're missing, you have to be able to cut down your unknown variables to answer the question, so I think it's okay to make the assumption that you measure the lead's temperature as the same of the rock's in order to find the temperature change for the water. JMO ^^
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:34 pm

@WastedSpace

Yeah, that makes sense! The problem does have to be solvable lol. Thank you so much!
Burrito Bunny
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cloud cover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 am

I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: math
YOUR QUESTION:The endpoints of AB are A(3,-4) and B(11,b). The midpoint of AB is M(n,3). Find the values of b and n.

I'm stuck on how to start with this question, thank you!

────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
┌───────────────────────┐
ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ
-
ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅs

└───────────────────────┘
────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
jo | she/her | infj | university
student | 🇨🇦

────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────

cloud cover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 am

raelyn wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: math
YOUR QUESTION:The endpoints of AB are A(3,-4) and B(11,b). The midpoint of AB is M(n,3). Find the values of b and n.

I'm stuck on how to start with this question, thank you!

You've got a midpoint formula, right?
x = (xA + xB)/2
y = (yA + yB)/2
To find the midpoint, you add together the beginning and end coordinates and simply divide by two. Pretty simple, right?

So let's fill in what you know and see where that gets us.
x
n = (3 + 11)/2
y
3 = (-4 + b)/2

You only have one unknown in each of those formulas, so you should be able to easily isolate the variable (already done in the case of finding n, even) and solve the equation. Voila, that should be your missing coordinates, which you can then graph and make sure they indeed make a line.
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cloud cover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 am

@WastedSpace

Thank you!! It makes a lot more sense now :)

────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ
-
ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʟᴏᴜᴅs

────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────
jo | she/her | infj | university
student | 🇨🇦

────────────────────────
┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅┅
────────────────────────

cloud cover

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hannur » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm

I HAVE A QUESTION!
TYPE OF QUESTION: English
YOUR QUESTION:
Would anyone that's read 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' by Shakespeare be able to help me? I left the play in my locker and am going on a camp for the next few days, and my school computer has blocked 'No Fear Shakespeare' and other sites that do the same. (very sorry for that wordy sentence)

1. Does Oberon admit to Titania that he was responsible for making her fall in love with an ass?
2. Does Titania find out that Oberon initiated the idea and Puck put the love juice in her eyes?
3. Do they specify how long she was in love with Bottom for?
4. How did Hippolyta and Theseus find the four teens?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate any help.
Last edited by hannur on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
hannur

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:44 am

bil wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
YOUR QUESTION:
Would anyone that's read 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' by Shakespeare be able to help me? I left the play in my locker and am going on a camp for the next few days, and my school computer has blocked 'No Fear Shakespeare' and other sites that do the same. (very sorry for that wordy sentence)

1. Does Oberon admit to Titania that he was responsible for making her fall in love with an ass?
2. Does Titania find out that Oberon initiated the idea and Puck put the love juice in her eyes?

That wasn't one I ever had to read, but: do you have a local library? They may not have blocked sparknotes type sites. Or, if you use a proxy site to try and enter such sites, then it may work on your computer. Just be careful, as proxy sites can be a hub for viruses.
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Burrito Bunny » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 am

bil wrote:
I HAVE A QUESTION!
YOUR QUESTION:

You can probably find the full text online. Shakespeare is in the public domain. Just search "a midsummer night's dream full text" and pick the one you like best.

You could also probably download an app like Amazon Kindle. It may be free there. You may even be able to purchase a study guide for it on Amazon, that you could then read in the app.
Burrito Bunny
General Helper

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me