Lets talk about houseplants!

For topics which don't fit anywhere else! Discuss the weather, your mood, hobbies and interests. Remember, keep it child-friendly :)

What type of houseplant do you prefer?

Cacti / Succulents
52%
Big & Tall Tropical
6%
Big & Fat Tropical
6%
Hanging / Vining plants
27%
Itty Bitty plants
9%

Total votes : 33

Re: Lets talk about houseplants!

Postby pippy1994 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 pm

In my bedroom I have a Poinsettia named Patricia and a Chinese Money Planet named Penny.
I'm currently growing other plants in my bathroom, I've had a lot more success growing them in there rather than outdoors. Won't be planting them outside until they're a decent size. I left some seedlings outside while I was not home and the local Magpies thought it'd be fun to destroy my Chamomile, luckily that was the only one they touched and I was able to salvage most of the seedlings.
pippy1994

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweet creature » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 pm

seems im reviving a long dead thread here but I just want to mark/bump this for the useful websites linked incase I need them!
unfortunately I am a culprit of collecting more and more plants whenever I find myself in a garden centre.. recently got a monstera and Swiss cheese plant and it seems they dont like the loads of sun my room has so I may have to move them ): succulents and cacti seem to be the only survivors of my south facing room (and the smallest parlour palm sprout and the ivy hiding in the corner)
sweet creature

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodclot » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm

i was gawking at this arrangement at the farmers market one day and my mom came home with it. lets hope i can keep these alive : )
Image Image
bloodclot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

houseplant discussion

Postby bloodclot » Wed May 03, 2023 10:37 am

im not sure there is a houseplant discussion yet but i would love for there to be one. all about propagation,
prop-lifting [ ;) ], and plants living in your house.
Image Image
bloodclot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: houseplant discussion

Postby Cerestes » Wed May 03, 2023 3:29 pm

I want to get into houseplants but I am so afraid of killing them, so following lol
I almost bought a beautiful purple fuzzy plant yesterday <3
ImageImageImage
Cerestes

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kitsukami » Thu May 04, 2023 1:09 am

ooo houseplants i’d love to get more into keeping them as a hobby!

right now i’m trying to grow some pothos cuttings i harvested from my mothers’ plants outside. they’re quite low maintenance and i’ve been told they don’t perish so easily.
it’s been 2 or 3 months since i’ve let them grow in a vase full of water and their roots look pretty healthy! i hope to move a few of the cuttings soon in some pots full of soil, but i have yet to get some so they’re just marinating in the water for now.

i tried growing some succulent cuttings i got online prior but they’re long gone by now lol
                x
                please call me alex
                not cooking 💯 ️‍🔥

───────────────

x
                my umas • she / they
                toyhcurrent ♫vid

░░░░░░░░░░░

kitsukami

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodclot » Thu May 04, 2023 4:28 am

Cerestes wrote:I want to get into houseplants but I am so afraid of killing them, so following lol
I almost bought a beautiful purple fuzzy plant yesterday <3

wsh i could give u advice, though im kinda a beginner myself. the longer you have your plants, the better you know them. theyre kinda like pets, or babies to me. if i were you, i'd start with one you like, and research it's care needs while you take care of it. some plants like less water than others (like succulents). maybe i can recommend, a jade plant? it is a succulent, they dont require frequent watering, and they'll do great if you put it on a window sill lol .

i got my first jade plant back in january, it wasn't in great condition, but i slapped it in a sunny window, water every 2-3 weeks, and its thriving . when first got it, it was dropping leaves. so i just sat the leaves on soil and the leaves grew roots, which than grew babies. jade plants prop like crazy. i decided to experiment with it and take a cutting off, which i let to callous and slapped in a little pot. didn't water at all until it grew roots, but it eventually established itself.

my jade plant like two days after i got it lol [mid jan]

my jade plant now
the branch on the left could be a bit fuller, but it's definitely grown more compact/branched off since i first bought it.

the fallen leaves from said jade plant in mid jan.

four of the leaves decided to prop! only three shown here
i admit, it could've been watered a little more when mama leaves started to shrivel, so i think the babies are a bit smaller than they should be.

jade cutting before it rooted [march]

jade cutting after it rooted, about a week ago
Image Image
bloodclot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spaceinmyhead » Fri May 05, 2023 2:22 pm

Hey guys, looks like there is indeed another houseplant thread! I'll be merging this thread with the other larger one to consolidate all these posts under one thread. Hope y'all understand.

Edit: These two topics have now been merged, all messages have remained the same, but are now just on one thread for easier navigation. Feel free to continue your conversation about plants!

I wish I had like, one brain cell...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
pfp by: @kaisisles
Spaceinmyhead
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodclot » Sun May 28, 2023 3:19 am

i have so many plants and props i wanna share here ahhhhhghggg but ill share my newest edition instead!
variegated ? elephant bush!!!

taken in my car, so im sorry it's not too scenic, but at least the plant is pretty <3
also got some mixed cactus seeds i am incredibly excited to plant.

i don't know if you can notice, but there is also a mystery leaf in the pot with it o,o can you guess why?
it was... prop-lifted o,o

can we talk about prop-lifting here? like, picking up fallen leaves and branches that are just gona get swept away at lowes or home depot anyway? not actually taking them right off the plant which is definitely not what we should be doing when we prop-lift!

i just stick it right in the pot with the plant i buy, or ill carry it an ask an employee if i can take it. they always say yes, sometimes confused. but it's just trash to them, so thats understandable

at a garden or nursery, they're smaller businesses, they can profit off of those fallen pieces. so typically i just stick them back in the plant when i find something nicely intact on the ground.
Image Image
bloodclot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby riftintime » Mon May 29, 2023 8:34 am

bloodclot wrote:i have so many plants and props i wanna share here ahhhhhghggg but ill share my newest edition instead!
variegated ? elephant bush!!!

taken in my car, so im sorry it's not too scenic, but at least the plant is pretty <3
also got some mixed cactus seeds i am incredibly excited to plant.

i don't know if you can notice, but there is also a mystery leaf in the pot with it o,o can you guess why?
it was... prop-lifted o,o

can we talk about prop-lifting here? like, picking up fallen leaves and branches that are just gona get swept away at lowes or home depot anyway? not actually taking them right off the plant which is definitely not what we should be doing when we prop-lift!

i just stick it right in the pot with the plant i buy, or ill carry it an ask an employee if i can take it. they always say yes, sometimes confused. but it's just trash to them, so thats understandable

at a garden or nursery, they're smaller businesses, they can profit off of those fallen pieces. so typically i just stick them back in the plant when i find something nicely intact on the ground.

lol whenever i go to lowes to buy plants i always wear stuff w pockets so i can rescue the succulent leaves i find on the ground. i have a little pot w my succulent props that i just throw them in. i love succulents but i hate how long they take to grow. but some of mine are flowering rn!! if i remember i will have to post pics bc they are v pretty and i love them sm
def agree tho abt the small businesses! if you want to take them id ask first bc they might use them to grow more plants.
• any pronouns • infp • college student •

trades welcome / DV: riftintime #1396 / FR: riftintime

riftintime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me