Anyone else work in animal rescue?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Anyone else work in animal rescue?

Postby Madel » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:58 am

Hello! I know there's lot of animal loves here. I started working at a local rescue for wild animals a few months ago, does anyone else volunteer/work at a place like that too? I'd love to discus with others about it!

Currently, HCAI (highly contagious avian influenza) has been a problem for us. Thankfully, none of our avians have tested positive and they're all in safe places. Because of this, we've had to shut down our hospital. We cant take any new animals in from the public until it dies down. It makes me sad for all the animals we cant help, but I'm glad our birds are safe

╔══════════════════════╗
Mads | He/It | Adult
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Wildlife scientist working in
animal rehabilitation and
rescue. I'm often busy with
work but feel free to DM or
trade me regardless!
Always looking for
macaws, dragons, and wl pets.
Image Image
╚═════════════════════╝
Madel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Anyone else work in animal rescue?

Postby Mycorrhizae » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:45 am

I used to! We had to shut down because of HPAI too in spring, but the group has been able to reopen to avian patients. I think they have a separate area for flu patients now. I might look at volunteering with them in the future but kinda depends on where life takes me
hi i like birds
Mycorrhizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby snakesinspace » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:22 pm

I haven't worked rescue but I've worked in other animal professions so I understand the stress of contagious diseases. I think inclusion body disorder is the worst because it's HIGHLY contagious and always fatal. Parvovirus is also super scary, but at least the puppies have a strong fighting chance with treatment.
I have so much respect for anyone who can cope with doing jobs like that. I couldn't handle losing animals, particularly dogs, I quit my last animal job a little over a year ago.
Follow my DeviantArt
Here
snakesinspace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ChunkyChad » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:29 pm

Hi I also work at a wildlife rescue^^ HPAI has been a huge problem for us, luckily we were able to create a quarantine area in our hospital to continue taking in animals. I have to say its an awful disease, I worked more so on the rescue side of things and some of the birds I've caught were just in awful shape from it. Seriously such a bad disease, hopefully it's not as prevalent next year
©

She/Her, in university

Wildlife rescuer

Studying animal science

my art <3

Big pigeon fan

PMs open^^

Down to do a gift war👀

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _44_ people.
I have received _48_ gifts.

mr freddy fazebear?

ChunkyChad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mycorrhizae » Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:56 am

snakesinspace wrote:I haven't worked rescue but I've worked in other animal professions so I understand the stress of contagious diseases. I think inclusion body disorder is the worst because it's HIGHLY contagious and always fatal. Parvovirus is also super scary, but at least the puppies have a strong fighting chance with treatment.
I have so much respect for anyone who can cope with doing jobs like that. I couldn't handle losing animals, particularly dogs, I quit my last animal job a little over a year ago.

It's definitely hard and not for everyone! It helps a little sometimes with wild animals. We don't spend time petting them and bonding with them or anything. In fact, we do the opposite where the animal should hate us. And then we just send 'em to to wild and hope to never see them again. So it sucks when they die, but I rarely got attached to a rehab patient.
hi i like birds
Mycorrhizae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ChunkyChad » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:31 pm

Mycorrhizae wrote:
snakesinspace wrote:I haven't worked rescue but I've worked in other animal professions so I understand the stress of contagious diseases. I think inclusion body disorder is the worst because it's HIGHLY contagious and always fatal. Parvovirus is also super scary, but at least the puppies have a strong fighting chance with treatment.

It's definitely hard and not for everyone! It helps a little sometimes with wild animals. We don't spend time petting them and bonding with them or anything. In fact, we do the opposite where the animal should hate us. And then we just send 'em to to wild and hope to never see them again. So it sucks when they die, but I rarely got attached to a rehab patient.

Yeah I also think it's a bit different with wild animals cause like you said there is that lack of bonding. Though I will say in my experience sadly very few of the animals I've preformed rescues for maybe less than 20% actually made a recovery, so you do become very I guess wary when you get a new animal not to become attached which I feel also creates that detachment with wildlife rescuers/rehabers. I don't what the survival rates for companion animal rescues are but hopefully higher than that.

With that being said being part of any animal rescue is so tiring and taxing, in my experience the cases involving human causes just boil my blood so much, though are some of the worse cases to deal with, especially if you have to talk to the person that caused it bleh
©

She/Her, in university

Wildlife rescuer

Studying animal science

my art <3

Big pigeon fan

PMs open^^

Down to do a gift war👀

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted _44_ people.
I have received _48_ gifts.

mr freddy fazebear?