Wild and Captive Whales/Dolphins Discussion

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Wild and Captive Whales/Dolphins Discussion

Postby magnapinna » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:30 am

rancidram wrote:-snip-

As far as i know, this has been going on for quite a while now. Shouka with fish
I believe its for enrichment? but i’m not completly sure.
as for orlando? i have no idea. haven’t been up to date on news recently

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 am

keiikoa ! wrote:
rancidram wrote:-snip-

As far as i know, this has been going on for quite a while now. Shouka with fish
I believe its for enrichment? but i’m not completly sure.
as for orlando? i have no idea. haven’t been up to date on news recently

well im glad they have some sort of enrichment like live fish. kalia and makani seem to enjoy it from what ive heard.
╔══════════════════════════════════════╗
r a n c i d r a m
black lives matter • empty the tanks • feminist
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
╚══════════════════════════════════════╝
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 am

new news regarding the situation at the ”whale jail” in russia.
whilist the orcas and some belugas has been released, the remaining 50 belugas may need to spend the whole incoming winter in the pens because of the companies refusing to sign a agreement to release the remaining belugas.

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 am

So just the other day, a pod of melon headed whales was driven into the Taiji cove. 3 were selected to live in captivity and the other 37 were slaughtered. This has ended the 24 blue cove day streak. The Dolphin Project also got drone footage of the banger boats driving a pod of dolphins into the cove and the Japanese are hiding the slaughter by dragging the dolphins underneath tarps.

On the other hand, the 50 remaining belugas in the russian whale jail have been/are being released sometime this month. And it seems that the orcas that have been captured have been doing good in the wild. I am unsure if they have been reunited with their family pods.

Miami Seaquarium appears to be renovating Tokitaes tank. There was a brief moment where people were unsure if Tokitae was alive or not since MSQ never mentioned anything about revamping her stadium and supposedly not even some of the employees knew how she was doing (this was heard from someone who went to MSQ and asked about her). This kind of worries me as dolphins have very sensitive hearing and construction is not quiet at all.
r a n c i d r a m
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:24 am

o.o They should really be renovating their Orca tank but I guess lolita being blind is a problem since she would most certainly freak out and attack anyone renovating her tank. Hopefully they can find a way to do so though.

You know in japan sadly dolphins are pests apparently to fishermen. Which is a shame cause they are highly intelligent.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rancidram » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:o.o They should really be renovating their Orca tank but I guess lolita being blind is a problem since she would most certainly freak out and attack anyone renovating her tank. Hopefully they can find a way to do so though.

You know in japan sadly dolphins are pests apparently to fishermen. Which is a shame cause they are highly intelligent.

they really should be...at least provide some shade for her or an addition to her tank. the measurements are illegal and i have no clue how she hasn't been forced out of the tank.

also, all the belugas in the whale jail have been set free! however, apparently china may be able to rehunt them...i hope this isn't the case.
r a n c i d r a m
most likely inactive
ImageImageImage
rancidram

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Her tank was grandfathered in so despite it being illegal it was made before the laws stating it had to be this wide or deep didn't exist.

She also can't be moved due to her being blind and in ill health as well as a protected species act stating that she can't be returned to the wild.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:Her tank was grandfathered in so despite it being illegal it was made before the laws stating it had to be this wide or deep didn't exist.

She also can't be moved due to her being blind and in ill health as well as a protected species act stating that she can't be returned to the wild.

not really a excuse if you ask me, i get not releasing her but justifying the small pool size is,,, :/

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

It's sadly a legal issue that is out of our control. Not many people care enough to change the laws to require them to change the tank size. Unfortunately it isn't an excuse it's legit why they aren't doing anything about it. A court ruled that Lolita was a protect orca and thus cannot be moved. So laws prevent them from doing anything and they won't bother with it for some unknown reason. Another thing is it's Florida theres legit rules about everything on the water which is where the aquarium sits. So it may be that the city won't permit them to do anything or they may need building oermits the city won't give them.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby magnapinna » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Captain Thomas Lasky wrote:It's sadly a legal issue that is out of our control. Not many people care enough to change the laws to require them to change the tank size. Unfortunately it isn't an excuse it's legit why they aren't doing anything about it. A court ruled that Lolita was a protect orca and thus cannot be moved. So laws prevent them from doing anything and they won't bother with it for some unknown reason. Another thing is it's Florida theres legit rules about everything on the water which is where the aquarium sits. So it may be that the city won't permit them to do anything or they may need building oermits the city won't give them.

ah sorry, misunderstood your message

-pfp by lifora
magnapinna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me