The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What type of rodents do you have?

Rats
27%
Hamsters
17%
Gerbils
5%
Mice
11%
Guinea Pigs
15%
Chinchillas
2%
Degus
1%
None :(
15%
None, but getting some soon!
7%

Total votes : 338

Postby w0ah » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:54 am

unfortunately, i lost one of my mice just a week or so ago .. however, this is something to expect from three year old mice. my last girly, sybil, is doing great so far. i need to get on-top of things and clean her 20 gallon tank, but it's been crazy-hectic settling back in after vacation.

i am worried about her, though, as i have heard that losing a companion to a mouse can be detrimental to their health, mentally and physically. i've been trying to keep more of a close eye on her, but since she is without her friend i've also been trying to spend more time with her outside of the tank and such.

after sybil passes away, i don't think i will be capable of owning anymore mice for quite some time. the upcoming years for me are going to include lots of change and moving-around, so i don't think that would be a stable environment for a pet. mice have always been my passion though, so i do hope i will come to a point when i can bring another into my life.
w0ah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread! V2

Postby womp womp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:30 am

w0ah -- i'm so sorry for your loss of one of your mice, i bet she enjoyed their life in the time that you owned em <3 i'm glad to hear sybil is doing well though. i don't really know much about mice, but i do hope sybil can still live well even without a companion, best of luck to both you and sybil! <3 that's understandable though ! :0c

daisyfang -- rodents are some interesting escape artists yknow lmao, but i mean at least you didnt have to deal with any escapees ^^;; glad to hear they're doing well! C:

mierose -- they grow up so fast ;^) and the emergency evacuation kit actually seems like an extremely smart idea! :0c truth be told i've never thought about making one for my own boyo, but that sounds honestly pretty handy! <'3 i'm glad that they're loving their detolf!

drift -- congratulations !! :0c i took a peek at their instagram and god they're so adorable <33 give em kisses for me, and those doggos are so cute too im dead ;^;;

anyhoW, my own kid myself, barley, is doing pretty well! for the past few months before summer break my kiddo has been waking up awfully late in the night, to the point were i barely got to interact with him for more than maybe 10ish minutes despite anything i've tried to get him to wake up earlier :'< but now that i don't have to worry about sleep hAA, i've been bringing him out of his cage more frequently and for longer periods of time :^0c still gotta worry about the waking up problem though when break is over, so if anyone knows of ways to get a hamster to not wake up deadly late at night, i'd love to hear! i've always felt bad with other methods i found because i don't wanna disturb his sleep too much r i p

besides that, i've maybe though about upgrading his cage to one of those christmas tree storage bins when they do come in stores, but that'll probably take a while :'v maybe an ikea detolf though instead? i'm not sure it would comfortably fit in where i currently have barley's cage oops, but we'll see! currently i feel like recently barley has been getting a bit bored of his current cage, even after switching things up but i dunno i'll poke around to see!

aaaaand that's the end of my ramble
womp womp

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Tea Rain » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 am

Your hammy boi couldn't be waking up later because of the change in light, could he? I'm not sure much about hamsters or how late is late at night, but maybe because it's summer and it's lighter for longer, he's sleeping longer so he just wakes up in the dark at 'night'? Maybe try blocking out/dimming the light at sevenish?

Also, I just walked in to my gerbil laid on her back, lil feeties in the air, nibbling on her lil bridge bed (quite adorably and amusingly actually :0) she then stood up and gave me a little wink, and I have her a treat and she went on nomming happily away. But aren't they meant to hate laying on their backs? :0
Image⦅Lemon⦆Image
◤~ ImageLemon • any • <3! ~ ◥
Image Image Image
◣ ~ ImageFeel free to pm :D~ ◢
Lemon Tea Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:17 pm

@mierose- ah wow! That is such a good idea. We’re constantly having strong winds and trees falling on power lines so an emergency kit for the rodents is an amazing idea. I’ll probably our one together before I leave on vacation. I’m so glad you mentioned it!

@daisyfang- uuh I know how you feel.. I feel so exhausted in the evening but I know the little guys need some attention despite being tired or not. Hang in there! I had two gerbils before and they just weren’t right for me, so cutos to you for being able to care for a lone gerb :>

@lucien- heyo, welcome! There are quite a few of us who have rattos as well so if you need anything feel free to stop by the discord or this thread and ask away! ;>
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spiderfish » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:21 am

UK based hamster owners, what do you feed your hams?

Currently feeding Natures Feat, but my dwarves are picking all the muesli bits of of it, and leaving the nuggets. And my usual methods for preventing selective feeding haven't worked :? Lola, my syrian, eats anything, so I was thinking of keeping her on Natures Feast & switching the dwarves to Burgess Dwarf, but apparently its been discontinued, so that plans out. Don't want to switch back to Selective, because hardly anywhere stocks it, neither me nor my hams like it as much since they changed it, and I fear the piece may be too big for my teeny girls. Not sure what else there is, aside for P@H nuggets & Harry Hamster, neither of which I'm a fan of.

I'm also almost out of food, so I need a plan quick.
-wip-
-wip-
-wip-
spiderfish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 am

supreme selective and harry the hamster are the most common for hamsters here in the uk,
      and having tried both of the brands, it's already a struggle to find other alternatives. i could
      either suggest solely purchasing your hamsters food online, or using harry the hamster as a
      base. uk-based pet youtuber, 'erinsanimals' does this, and quite frankly creates a picture-
      perfect diet for both her syrians and dwarves.
      for a quick meal if you can't get out and grab a bag of hamster food, here's a link to the hamster
      forums where you should be able to find some tips on the percentages of hamster foods and talk
      about your experiences with selective feeding : link

i can't really tell you what brands to use, as your hamsters are unique. are they overweight/
      underweight? what's their age? what are the brands you've tried? have you used them as a base
      or use them as a whole diet?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:52 am

My mouse had her babies!! There’s 7-8 of them, one seems to be a runt but I didn’t get a very good look at them. She did eat one but that’s normal :shock: I’m really excited for their colours to come in.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:08 am

congratulations on your new arrivals! :)
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:57 am

Here they are, 3 days old. They’re already very wiggly, very opinionated about being held. 3 does and 4 bucks judging from size.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:41 am

how sweet! hope we get pictures of their development !
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me