Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Naeco » Tue May 22, 2018 5:06 am

appology wrote:I took a break from CS and I'm back for my dogs. So, my youngest (we got him at 16 weeks in February) is currently being targeted by my eldest (there's only the two of them). He isn't violent or anything, but he keeps sniffing his rear end. Now, occasionally, this would be typical dog behaviour, as a greeting or trying to remember scents for a later date. But he is constantly doing it. My eldest (Pippin) has epilepsy and gathers ticks rather easily, such as shaking as though he is wet, or lifting his head and biting the air. We are worried because he keeps on doing it, for hours a day. He will stop had we make him.
Is it hormone change in the youngest (Atlas)? My mom was wondering if we should get him fixed (Pippin isn't fixed. Any high-emotion would cause a seizure, and so breeding isn't an option if we ever considered it) but I know there are a few cons and such in regards to that, isn't there?

It could very well be a hormone change in the younger pup. Neutering has some pros and cons. It may or may not fix the problem at hand. Also, you have to consider the age of the older dog and how the surgery will impact his epilepsy.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tipsy » Tue May 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Hey, popping in real quick with a question.
Is it possible for a dog to lose weight without changing its eating habits?
She has access to food 24/7 and also loads of table scraps.

I'll try to add picture later she's SUPER fat, We've already walked 9.3 miles in the past two days.
Wub.

Tipsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Tipsy wrote:Hey, popping in real quick with a question.
Is it possible for a dog to lose weight without changing its eating habits?
She has access to food 24/7 and also loads of table scraps.

I'll try to add picture later she's SUPER fat, We've already walked 9.3 miles in the past two days.

Yes, but usually not nearly enough to make a valuable difference. First step is to cut back on table scraps and and stop free feeding. Feeding should ideally be done only in a puzzle toy or doled out during the day through training.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm

my two turds. ❤️
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eolian » Tue May 22, 2018 10:06 pm

My family and I are moving yet again, now I've traveled with our eldest dog, who's 11 this year, before and the longest he's been in the car is like 5 hours with like a few breaks but now we have my puppy who isn't used to the car and probably moving in general. She just got used to living here too. We'd be moving to the country and it's probably gonna take maybe 4 hours with majority of it being on a highway or freeway so has anyone moved with a puppy before and like have any tips for moving with a puppy? Also if anyone wants to know why we're moving it's because our rent just sky rocketed to an unreasonable price that my family and I won't be able to afford long-term.
eolian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 am

I had O out on the long leash the other day while taking photos of my piggies and she got wrapped around this thistle 😂

Naturally because I’m horrible I took photos before freeing her lol. Nothing pokey was touching her so I decided to use it as a photo op before I rescued her 😂

Tipsy! I noticed I haven’t seen as much Swizzy this year, hopefully you can figure out the weight thing! You may need to check her thyroid?
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Wed May 23, 2018 2:56 am

Naeco wrote:
appology wrote:I took a break from CS and I'm back for my dogs. So, my youngest (we got him at 16 weeks in February) is currently being targeted by my eldest (there's only the two of them). He isn't violent or anything, but he keeps sniffing his rear end. Now, occasionally, this would be typical dog behaviour, as a greeting or trying to remember scents for a later date. But he is constantly doing it. My eldest (Pippin) has epilepsy and gathers ticks rather easily, such as shaking as though he is wet, or lifting his head and biting the air. We are worried because he keeps on doing it, for hours a day. He will stop had we make him.
Is it hormone change in the youngest (Atlas)? My mom was wondering if we should get him fixed (Pippin isn't fixed. Any high-emotion would cause a seizure, and so breeding isn't an option if we ever considered it) but I know there are a few cons and such in regards to that, isn't there?

It could very well be a hormone change in the younger pup. Neutering has some pros and cons. It may or may not fix the problem at hand. Also, you have to consider the age of the older dog and how the surgery will impact his epilepsy.

The older dog isn't that old, coming seven soon, but his tablets have worn him down a lot. I don't think we would want to neuter him but what would be the pros/cons of neutering the puppy?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ » Wed May 23, 2018 2:59 am

@.Middy.
Even when stuck, your dogs are super photogenic. How do you do it? O is so cute <3
ᴍᴀᴏᴄɪғᴇʀ

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed May 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Dog breeds that aren't bully breeds but are often mistaken for them? And go!

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Chloe didn't get a great report from the cardiologist the other day. Her murmur is a 4/6 and her heart is more enlarged and one of the strings that help the mitral valve had broken. He wants to start her on medication. He also heard some crackling in her lungs which could be the beginings of COPD. He said it is just the natural progression of her heart disease, but it is still upsetting.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me