Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Winstalgia » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:03 am

@love, muse
It's fine and honestly not that late, I have all day <3
Well, we aren't getting the cat my Dad decided, but it's nice to know this information if we ever do get another one so I still appreciate the help!
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:09 am

short explanation
my cat is fat, help me.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nev » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am

Keighan. wrote:short explanation
my cat is fat, help me.

Is the cat still healthy? If so, do you like him/her being a big ol' chub?
My mom's cat is fat too, but he's perfectly fine- so I know what it's like having a fat cat XD
If he/she is healthy and you want them to not be as chubby, I'd suggest getting an approved diet food for your cat.
If they aren't healthy, you might want to take them to the vet and see what they decide is best for the cat.
nev

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm a huge advocate for keeping your pets in shape, so i feel bad for letting him get overweight.
He's overweight, Meaning he is unhealthy, But its not hurting him. I just don't want it to get any worse. He has scheduled feedings and everything i just don't know how to increase his activity level.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bitters » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Keighan. wrote:I'm a huge advocate for keeping your pets in shape, so i feel bad for letting him get overweight.
He's overweight, Meaning he is unhealthy, But its not hurting him. I just don't want it to get any worse. He has scheduled feedings and everything i just don't know how to increase his activity level.

This happened to my kitty after she was dewormed and her kittens were weaned. She kinda just stayed lethargic and became obese even though I was feeding her just the recommended intake.
I kept buying her toys to try and engage her but nothing worked. A craft pom pom fell out of my sewing supplies one day and she fell in love. Ever since, she has become happy and active and will chase it all day. Maybe finding the right stimulation could help.
v Help me with my hoard? β™‘ v
Bitters

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Topsy Turvey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am

Speaking of overweight cats, our family cat named Ash is obese and has been the majority of his life.
He's now getting old and has never been hugely active or playful although with being in a slightly more exciting environment that is slowly changing, which I'm more than happy about! However he has for a very long time had an obsession with food, for a while we lived in a place where he couldn't get out of the house and he would sleep and the second we would go anywhere near the kitchen he would start screaming at us like his life depended on it and that was all he ever did. He didn't particularly like us (we hadn't bonded much as at the time he was still supposed to be my sister's) and so he wasn't interested in pats and refused to play, all he cared about was food. And he still does. I have no idea what to do about it, any suggestions? c':
(He's currently on a diet (and has been for a year c':) but it's made no difference as he steals other cat's food. I desperately want him to learn that there's more to life than just food but he's a cat so I can't exactly explain it to him, any suggestions on what I can do to help?

╔═════════════╗
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
Topsy ❅ She/Her ❅ Bi

A high key anxious mess~
Sorry if I take a while to reply,
I get overwhelmed very easily.
Feel free to poke me if I'm
taking a while!

Art links to my FR profile.
Credit: Cellar x Elijah
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘
β•‘

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

❄
❄
❄ Character Clear-Out!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 am

Topsy Turvey wrote:Speaking of overweight cats, our family cat named Ash is obese and has been the majority of his life.
He's now getting old and has never been hugely active or playful although with being in a slightly more exciting environment that is slowly changing, which I'm more than happy about! However he has for a very long time had an obsession with food, for a while we lived in a place where he couldn't get out of the house and he would sleep and the second we would go anywhere near the kitchen he would start screaming at us like his life depended on it and that was all he ever did. He didn't particularly like us (we hadn't bonded much as at the time he was still supposed to be my sister's) and so he wasn't interested in pats and refused to play, all he cared about was food. And he still does. I have no idea what to do about it, any suggestions? c':
(He's currently on a diet (and has been for a year c':) but it's made no difference as he steals other cat's food. I desperately want him to learn that there's more to life than just food but he's a cat so I can't exactly explain it to him, any suggestions on what I can do to help?

Find ways to prevent him from stealing other cats food. Like feed other cats in separate rooms/in places where he can't reach and don't leave their food out. If he's going to neighbors for food, consider not letting him out.
Use treats to engage him with toys or activities, like getting a cage ball where you can put some treats in and make him engage with it to get the treat.
There's really no way to teach an animal that there's more important/other things out there than food, but you as an owner are able to control the food that he does get.
It's also worth talking to your vet about that. If a diet isn't working, it's possible there might be something else at fault.
xxxxx✦ xxxxxxxxxxxxxx✦xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ✦
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx
✦
x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx
✦
x
x
xxx
✦
x
xxxxxxx
✦
✦ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ✦
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
✦ xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx ✦
sig art ; avatar art
✦
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx
✦
x
x
x
x

✦xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx
✦
x

✦xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby triplethesix » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:58 am

can anyone pm me to talk about cat temperament? thank you!
triplethesix

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nev » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:45 am

Keighan. wrote:I'm a huge advocate for keeping your pets in shape, so i feel bad for letting him get overweight.

Maybe try playing with him often? If you're able to, maybe get him a harness and a leash and take him outside, I've seen people do that to help their cats stay fit and it seems to work, although you need to ease the cat into knowing the outside is not a bad place.
nev

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 am

Topsy Turvey wrote:Speaking of overweight cats, our family cat named Ash is obese and has been the majority of his life.

maybe since he's so motivated by food, You could train him? set up a kitty agility course and have him jump around and such? Idk works for my dog
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me