Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Livid-Silver » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 am

honeybears wrote:Alright I started riding lessons and I'm hooked now.
The health scare i had turned out to be really minor so I've been cleared to do whatever I want exercise wise, including riding.
Because I work at the stable and my boss likes me she lets me ride for free all the time, I only pay for two lessons a week. I'm about to start leasing one of the horses and I'm so in love. I feel so connected to her. I've talked to my boss and as I get the money for it I'll be able to start setting up my own corner of the tack room (theres a tack room for leasers/boarders called the tack room and another for school tack usually called the school room). Just went online and bought a brush set to use on the horse, as well as heart shaped apple treats. All the brushes are purple so I think next I'll buy a purple saddle pad, and eventually my own saddle. (Suggestions for the saddles? I do english dressage. I've been told wintec is the best brand for beginners but holy cow they are expensive).
Yeah I'm really excited I know I sound like a noob right now :lol:

I would agree with not buying a saddle just yet and I'd also recommend saving up for a nicer saddle than a wintec. They are a lower-end saddle and I personally prefer saving for a nice 2nd hand saddle over a wintec. They tend to put riders into a chair seat and I don't particularly care for the tree they are built on. The main thing people like about wintecs is that they are cheap and they are relatively adjustable (gullet can be changed without the need for special tools), but most other saddle brands offer this feature. A good saddle will last you a lifetime, its worth saving up and buying a good quality one :) There's lots of other things you could buy for your school pony instead- matchy matchy sets, saddle blanket, boots (jump, exercise ect.), a good set of brushes just to name a few!
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:31 am

@Honey

If you are dead set on buying your own saddle (though I would agree with everyone else who says WAIT- there are loads of other supplies to invest in before needing a saddle, especially if you are only taking lessons on a lesson horse) try to contact saddle brand reps in your area. Most decent stable owners will have contacts they can help you get in touch with. Reps can help you try many different saddles and will often help you find a saddle that fits both you and your horse!

The brand you end up with will depend a lot on you. Things like price and your body type can steer you in different directions in terms of saddle fit. Both of my saddles are Devoucoux, but I bought them second hand from the brand rep.

Again, I totally agree with others about Wintec saddles. To put it bluntly, they suck. They are built cheaply and with poor construction. They're just not great saddles. Some brands I would look at: CWD, Devoucoux, County (not sure exactly how i feel about them), Equipe, Prestige
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Kestrell wrote:@Luzien

I'm DROOLING over those resources rn- I didn't even think of endurance riding as a resource omg! Thank you so much

nice that i could help a little :)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sforzando. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Hime wrote:
honeybears wrote:Alright I started riding lessons and I'm hooked now.
The health scare i had turned out to be really minor so I've been cleared to do whatever I want exercise wise, including riding.
Because I work at the stable and my boss likes me she lets me ride for free all the time, I only pay for two lessons a week. I'm about to start leasing one of the horses and I'm so in love. I feel so connected to her. I've talked to my boss and as I get the money for it I'll be able to start setting up my own corner of the tack room (theres a tack room for leasers/boarders called the tack room and another for school tack usually called the school room). Just went online and bought a brush set to use on the horse, as well as heart shaped apple treats. All the brushes are purple so I think next I'll buy a purple saddle pad, and eventually my own saddle. (Suggestions for the saddles? I do english dressage. I've been told wintec is the best brand for beginners but holy cow they are expensive).
Yeah I'm really excited I know I sound like a noob right now :lol:

I would suggest not buying your own saddle. And Wintecs are actually very cheap in terms of saddles, if comparing prices of brand new saddles in general. ^^; The thing with saddles is that priority number 1 is that the saddle fits the horse it's used for, and NO saddle in the world is one-fits-all kind. Unfitting saddle can cause all sorts of problems for the horse, and even if only used couple times a week certain horses are very sensitive to ill fitting saddes and will not move correctly with one. So really buying a saddle is not really so much about picking one you like and can afford, but more so what is good fit for the horse with riders needs coming second.
Only scenarios where I would say it's wise to buy your own saddle is if you own a horse (obviously) or if you regularily ride one certain horse and that horse's saddle is not right for you to the point where you have hard time riding (like the saddle puts your in chair seat or is too big/small for you).

I'm also gonna suggest not buying a saddle - it sounds like you're already riding without your own so don't spend money on getting a saddle for a horse that isn't yours. chances are, the owner already has a saddle that sits perfectly for their horse.
I personally wouldn't buy too much for a lesson horse - I've taken lessons at farms where you would have a lesson horse for a week, and then the horse would change and you'd have a different horse the next week. plus, you don't know what exactly can and will happen. in a worst case scenario, after buying a ton of tack for a horse, he/she might colic and die, or might get super bad arthritis and has to be retired.
I leased a horse at a farm before the one I do now, and I got two months into the lease, bought saddle pads, fly masks, boots, the whole sha-bam, and the owner cancelled all leases, and it turns out they moved to a completely new state halfway across the country. now, that's highly unlikely to just happen, but in my state where lessons and leasing is rare to find, it's stressful spending a few hundred dollars on a horse and never knowing if you'll use that stuff again yknow
I splurge a little more than I should on my lease horse now as if I'd never learned my lesson before LOL
but that's my two cents ^^ I personally would look into saving the money and using it to lease a horse!
elder scrolls instagram acc.
ImageImage
central time. not very active anymore. 911 dispatcher irl.
sforzando.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby vash ♡ » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:07 am

its been a suuuper unnecessarily slow process breaking my little mare because of my health declining (what we suspect might be POTS) but i took her on her second trail last night and she handled it beautifully, very proud of how she’s handled my inconsistency, she’s been a trooper. im hoping i can catch the tail end of rodeo season at the very least for some fun and maybe a hunter show, and then next year hopefully ill have her going with eventing if all goes well at the new cardiologist and they listen to me and help me maintain my health. :^)

════════════════════════════════════
she • adult • audhd & chronically ill
struggling equine nutrition student, im barely on here.

════════════════════════════════════
fell in love with a pisces moon,
now i'll follow you wherever you go.
vash ♡

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 am

Its been ages since I've posted here, I honestly can't remember when I last posted properly :lol: I think I chipped in once about a saddle post, but that's pretty much it. Uni life has me busy more often than not, but I do miss chatting on this thread! Not sure how many of the original crew are even on here anymore, but I'd love to hear how everyone's horses/ponies/equine adventures are going :)
My three are doing pretty good, don't have much to complain about really. Miles had a surgery back in October of last year to remove a bone chip from his fetlock which was not fun, but he seems to have recovered really well and subsequent x-rays have been good. He's rocking some serious winter-woollies at the moment but has kept his condition pretty well and is almost as tall as Cleo! I've given him a few sessions long reining when the weather permits and he's taken to it really well. Straight lines are still little bit of a mystery, but turning is good, forward is good and breaks are good too, so he's not bad overall. I think he needs a few more sessions with a leader, just to get a better feel for going straight for extended periods of time, but I'm in no rush. I'd only started because he was getting bored sitting in the paddock and kept pestering Cleo :lol: Miles seems to think its all a big game, so I don't think he minds working for 10 minutes every so often, if you can even call it work :lol: He gets his teeth done again in September and I'm interested to see if he's gonna end up with wolf teeth. Usually, they would have erupted by now, by Miles might be a late bloomer. There are two bumps on his upper jaw that the dentist and I are suspicious are wolf teeth, but opted to leave them and see if they erupt or not. I'm hoping they show up, cause digging for teeth is not fun!
Cleo has been well too, after giving me bit of a scare earlier in the year (for those who don't know, Cleo is my broodmare and I thought she had placentitis early on), but we seem to have gotten it under control for the most part. Been getting monthly check ups from the vet and antibiotics once a week every month. Everything has been checking out fine and there hasn't been any more discharge, so I'm really really hoping its all under control! Vet doesn't really seem concerned, but I'm always paranoid until I've got a healthy foal in front of me when it comes to broodies :lol: In a more mundane tone, Cleo did not grow a winter coat this year, which is gonna be great fun come September :roll: Winter has been pretty mild, which is fine as long as we still get spring 'on time'. The weather has been really strange and its been a relatively dry and warm winter, with spurts of actual winter weather. Maybe Cleo knew something I didn't before winter started, who knows lol
Reggie has had some residue soreness I can't really figure out, but he's been pretty super! He comes back from a break feeling fantastic, but then the soreness shows up and he gets a bit spooky/shuffly in his gait and I can't figure out what's causing it. So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it! At the moment, doing lots of walk work, massage and going to try adding magnesium to his feed. He's a bit fat this winter (I can't really find his ribs :oops: ) so I wouldn't be surprised if something is lacking in his diet, but I don't want to feed him up too much cause then I'll have more issues come spring. The grass has been ridiculously good quality this year and all the horses are keeping condition on basically nothing. I've also got them all on really nice rye grass hay which has helped heaps! Definitely pays to spend that bit extra and get good quality hay. Reg and I got to have a play with an urban/mountain trail course last week as well which was really fun! There was water obstacles, a seesaw, a hanging bridge and all manner of mounds/climbing things. We couldn't concur the water box (its like a box that starts dry and then water spurts up as they step on it), so I'll have to give that another crack at a later date. His favorite obstacle was the hanging bridge, he loved it once he realized it was safe to stand on!

Miles
Miles again. I couldn't decide which photo was nicer lol
Miss Cleo
Reggie and his bridge!
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MidnightDuchess » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:28 am

Twistytal wrote:
Hello all,
I've recently been having some trouble riding and would really appreciate any advice on how to improve. I've started cantering in the last few weeks and have struggled with constantly losing my stirrups- I've been told to push my heels down, yet the stirrups still seem to slip out from beneath my boots several strides later. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing. I would also love any overall tips for cantering as I do feel quite out of control when doing so.
Thanks in advance ♡♡

Not super sure if you will see this since you posted a few days ago however I have felt your exact pain and struggled with losing stirrups at the canter.

What I believe it is:
What you are doing sub-consciously is pinching/gripping your saddle with your knees which brings your leg up just enough that your weight pressure leaves your stirrups allowing them to fall out. Its a long struggle for those who just started cantering. Best thing you can do is have someone lunge you at the canter while you focus just on your seat and legs. Second best thing you can do is lots of two point at the canter. This wont help immediately but the biggest issue I believe is that cantering can be a little nerve wracking and that is what is causing some of the nervous leg gripping to the saddle.

I personally wasn't able to get lunged at the canter ever so I did lots of two point and boy did I find it helped tremendously after a few weeks and months later (I used to ride 5 days a week also, it may take less/more time depending on how often you ride)

Cantering just takes practice to relax to, especially when it results in lots of dropped stirrups which are your "safety" a lot of the time.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about nerves. Might be leg strength or balance if its not nerves, mine was nerves I do know that.
MidnightDuchess

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks all for the advice! It was actually a bit on foreshadowing- The horse I was leasing couldn't walk one day and we came to find she had thrush infecting one of her hoofs far below the surface so it wasn't seen while she was being groomed.
She is alright now, the infection is still being treated, but she can't do anything faster than a slow trot (so no cantering, which is what I was working on). My lease moved to another horse in the barn, a little marshmellow of a horse, named Napolean. I've come to find he is way sweeter than the other horse personality wise and responds better to me in the saddle as well. So I might stick with him even if the mare recovers soon.
As for saddles, I'm still saving my money for it on the side but it will be a far off thing i'm paying for, not soon at all. I'm interested that most of you guys didn't like Wintec saddles. Napoleans saddle currently is a Wintec, and a lot of the more experienced riders at my barn have suggested wintec (to me, at least). It could just be one of the more easily available brands in our area or something. We live in a "Western state" so English tack is hard to find and I have to order pretty much everything online.
A lot of people are really sweet and have been giving me old stuff so I got a plastic box for my tack, and lots and lots of Mrs. Pastures horse cookies (seriously everyone seems to buy the 5 pound bags of them).
Napolean has a more sensitive back so he usually uses a half pad. The ones at the barn are falling apart (its kind of gross) so if I invest in anything expensive right now it will be a half pad. I might also get a color themed saddle pad :)
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 am

honeybears wrote:Thanks all for the advice! It was actually a bit on foreshadowing- The horse I was leasing couldn't walk one day and we came to find she had thrush infecting one of her hoofs far below the surface so it wasn't seen while she was being groomed.
She is alright now, the infection is still being treated, but she can't do anything faster than a slow trot (so no cantering, which is what I was working on). My lease moved to another horse in the barn, a little marshmellow of a horse, named Napolean. I've come to find he is way sweeter than the other horse personality wise and responds better to me in the saddle as well. So I might stick with him even if the mare recovers soon.
As for saddles, I'm still saving my money for it on the side but it will be a far off thing i'm paying for, not soon at all. I'm interested that most of you guys didn't like Wintec saddles. Napoleans saddle currently is a Wintec, and a lot of the more experienced riders at my barn have suggested wintec (to me, at least). It could just be one of the more easily available brands in our area or something. We live in a "Western state" so English tack is hard to find and I have to order pretty much everything online.
A lot of people are really sweet and have been giving me old stuff so I got a plastic box for my tack, and lots and lots of Mrs. Pastures horse cookies (seriously everyone seems to buy the 5 pound bags of them).
Napolean has a more sensitive back so he usually uses a half pad. The ones at the barn are falling apart (its kind of gross) so if I invest in anything expensive right now it will be a half pad. I might also get a color themed saddle pad :)

Just adding on, standing/two point at trot is really good for developing a solid lower leg! Its harder to do than two point at a canter, so if you can improve that at the trot, the canter should improve as well. Another thing to think about is to 'lead with your belly button'. So instead of moving your shoulders back and forth, it will help you think more about what your hips are doing and everything else should fall into place (eg. you're hips can't be leading if you're tipping forward). Pushing your heels down can actually make you grip more (forcing your heels down tenses your leg), so instead, it might be helpful to think 'toes up'. Its much harder to force your toes up the same way you can drive your heels down, so that should help with leg position. Also also, keep your toes pointed forwards or 'towards the horse's nose' (they won't actually be, but they should be forward.) This helps keep your calves off the horse and your leg relaxed. I find, if I'm having trouble keeping my stirrups, its because I've gone duck footed and have my toes pointing out. This can become a habit particularly if the horse your riding isn't quick off the leg and you're needing to use a lot of leg to get them going. Who woulda thought leg position would be so complicated :lol:
Sorry to hear your first lease came down with thrush! Hopefully they can get it sorted quickly!
Good to keep saving for a saddle- they aren't cheap! With Wintecs, there are just plenty of other, nicer brand available, but a lot of people like Wintecs as a 'starter saddle'. I personally find them uncomfortable and they tend to put riders into a 'chair seat' and encourage bad position. I think this is due to how the tree themselves are made (stirrup bars too far forward?) but it will differ from person to person. I wouldn't say they are made from the best materials either, but they are very cheap saddles and often readily available. I'd recommend having a sit in as many different saddles as you can and deciding your favourite from there, when the time comes. I've had good luck with the collegiates in the past but I really really love my Pessoa saddle. Its a dream to ride in, but they are pretty pricey new. Luckily, they can be picked up 2nd hand pretty cheap! My dressage saddle is a Bruce Smith that I adore, but they are an Australian exclusive brand and I'm assuming you are in America (from the western state comment. We don't really have western states over here, that I'm aware of anyway lol)
A half pad sounds like a really good purchase! You can get them in some really cool colours and there are so many types! I think you can even get saddle blankets with half pads already stitched in now a days as well, but you can't go wrong with a nice sheepskin half pad :)
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sunny*days*ahead » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 am

Ahh! I've found my people! For some reason I'd never posted in this thread before... I guess I generally stay out of the forums unless it's CS related. But it will be nice to have a community of fellow horse lovers as well!

A little background on me for anyone curious:
I own two horses, one retired cutting APHA mare, solid sorrel. She's been with me through so much -- parades, carried the flag at rodeos, trail rides long and short distances, I gave western and english lessons on her for several years, and taught her to jump little one-one half foot jumps. She's the best horse in the entire actual universe. ;D She is so incredibly spunky, you'd never guess she was 28 years old! I don't do anything more than occasionally sit bareback on her now--she's earned her retirement tenfold!

and Superman, a suspected Paint horse as well (chestnut tobiano) but I bought him from a lady who had previously rescued him, so he has no papers. He's fat as a tick, rowdy but never actually puts anyone in harm's way, just a general turd. I love him, though! He has the absolute goofiest personality I've ever had before. He listens best to those who ride him often - aka me, otherwise you can stick a kid up there and he will only move if you lead line him, which makes him an awful lesson horse lol. I just trail ride with him, nothing fancy. (:

I ride Western and English, kinda done a little bit of everything, mastered nothing haha! I've done cutting, reining, western pleasure, hunt seat over fences, the tiniest bit of dressage, and I used to show Western Horsemanship and Hunt Seat Equitation on the flat. I was in 4H in high school, where I competed with my team in horse judging, horse bowl, and hippology. Currently working at a Western Horsemanship barn with the occasional pleasure or hunter horse thrown in. It's a blast, and I work directly with the trainer so he's ended up teaching me a TON. I'm very thankful!
_
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."- Proverbs 16:24

sunny*days*ahead

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me