The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: The Cavy(Guinea Pig) Lovers Club

Postby little rowzerz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:36 pm

I have a question with 2 male guinea pigs: Is the only threat of two male guinea pigs housed together that they will may pick on eachother? Or are there other threats that make it so you will want to get females and house them together instead of males? Please pm me the answer incase I forget to visit this thread again! :)
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
THANK YOU so much, Depressed Shadows for my dreamie!!
My biggest gift: 137 pets(all wish list) and 53 items(all wish list)! :D
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Elorwin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 am

Awesome - its nice to see people who love giggle pigs. I used to have one, a little white chubby lady named Pippin. She lived to be around 6 and even though I have a hamster now I still love Guinea pigs :)
Elorwin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Please look at my question I made a thread for, I haven't asked it in any other threads before. Right now it's at the front of the page and hopefully it will remain there if I bump it and other people keep posting.
Please check out my goat thread in the Animal Chatter forum, it has a poll for extra fun: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1765712
Jesus <3ImageImage
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~Serenade~ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

little rowzerz wrote:I have a question with 2 male guinea pigs: Is the only threat of two male guinea pigs housed together that they will may pick on eachother? Or are there other threats that make it so you will want to get females and house them together instead of males? Please pm me the answer incase I forget to visit this thread again! :)

Both a pair of males and pair of females both have their perks and drawbacks. Both have an equal chance of not getting along, I run a rescue and have had just as much success bonding males as I have females. In fact to be honest I've had more success thus far with males. Males in my opinion tend to have better personalities than females, I just like males better. However males need a bit more taking care of, let me try and word this in a way that's CS friendly...Their "Manly bits" need to be cleaned and sometimes boar glue has to be cleaned off their cage mates, wash around their grease glands, and they can also get impaction. On the other hand females can get a common thing called ovarian cysts which can be extremely costly, when females go into heat they can sometimes injure cage mates. Females also tend to smell a bit more than males in my experience.

So anyway, there are pros and cons to both males and females though in the end I feel they are about even. I've had both females and males (I rescue, not breed) and I find them to both be equal since they both have pros and they both have cons.
~Serenade~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Methalis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:29 am

I got my little baby Lint back. Currently being quarantined away from Sherbs, shall post pics soon.
I’m pretty much inactive these days.
Methalis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:34 pm

I just got a female longhair today! I was planning to get another male to live with my other male guinea pig when I was looking at the many different pet stores. I fell in love with a longhaired ( her hair isn't all the way down to the floor right now but when it gets like that or near that I will groom her ) female guinea pig with a very calm personality. She doesn't squirm when you hold her or take her out of her cage and she will just let you pet her. She is so sweet!
Jesus <3ImageImage
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Oh, and ,yes, they are in different cages so the female won't get pregnant.
Jesus <3ImageImage
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:31 pm

If you have an intact male and female you'll have to be really really careful that neither escapes or manages to reach the other one. Male guinea pigs can try very hard to get to ladies. :P
Having babies can be really dangerous for a guinea pig, especially if they're above a certain age when they first get pregnant.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Methalis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Love at first sight? ^,^
I’m pretty much inactive these days.
Methalis

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby little rowzerz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:31 pm

stargazerkitsune wrote:Love at first sight? ^,^

Yep. :)

The female guinea pig- I haven't decided a name for her yet- has a 40" Large x 22'' Height. That's enough for 2 guinea pigs! I have ordered a cage a few inches bigger in length for my male guinea pig, Carmel. That way they will have plenty of room to run around in! And if I decide I want to get another guinea pig ( not likely, I think I have enough ;) ) I will have the room and I will just have to buy a few more items, like another hidey hut for the other guinea pig. :)
Jesus <3ImageImage
little rowzerz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me