Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Click if you ...

Are scared of them
9%
Would own one
60%
Have one
19%
Know anyone who has one?
13%

Total votes : 998

Re: Thoughts about pitbulls/pit chat!

Postby gamorasass » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 am

He's wayyyyy more bully than dalmatian haha.

Also, Drax has been denied training for Service Dog certification on the soul fact that he's a bully breed. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement. I am sick of public ideals and their discrimination towards certain breeds. He's sweeter than my lab and has a bright future and ability to do the tasks I want of him, but because he's a bully breed, the program won't certify him even if I train him. I'm so done.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:27 am

Gamora. wrote:

Also, Drax has been denied training for Service Dog certification on the soul fact that he's a bully breed. To say I'm pissed off would be an understatement. I am sick of public ideals and their discrimination towards certain breeds. He's sweeter than my lab and has a bright future and ability to do the tasks I want of him, but because he's a bully breed, the program won't certify him even if I train him. I'm so done.

People get mad about this subject, but honestly I agree with service dog programs. They have no way of knowing if your dog is aggressive and that is a liability for them. A huge one because of your dog bites someone, the program is going to be brought up eventually and it will look horrible on them. Even if you train him yourself. Aggression runs rampant in bully breeds and you adopted one, no telling how he was raised. Programs use labs, golden retrievers and poodles for a reason.

Also what program? There is absolutely no legal service dog certification in the US. Probably a scam.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:29 am

Gamora. wrote:

If you are in the US, you can owner train. I know of many people with bully breed dogs as service dogs. They owner trained.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:37 am

Aggressive is common in working breeds as well, so it's foolish to discriminate based on that alone. I'm moving this topic along now away from that whole debate because I do not want to discuss it any further, I'm livid.

As for certification, in my Province in Canada, Service Dogs need to be provincially certified in order to be legal. I'm thankful we actually have legalities here for it. I'm looking into seeing if I can certify him without going through a program. Regardless, I'm going to be on the wait list awhile. I'm just annoyed they never told me this when I straight up told them he was a bully mix before adopting and they said nothing about it.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am

Gamora. wrote:
      Aggressive is common in working breeds as well, so it's foolish to discriminate based on that alone. I'm moving this topic along now away from that whole debate because I do not want to discuss it any further, I'm livid.

As for certification, in my Province in Canada, Service Dogs need to be provincially certified in order to be legal. I'm thankful we actually have legalities here for it. I'm looking into seeing if I can certify him without going through a program. Regardless, I'm going to be on the wait list awhile. I'm just annoyed they never told me this when I straight up told them he was a bully mix before adopting and they said nothing about it.

No reason to be livid, its the honest truth. I do agree that they should have told you beforehand. In your case, I would look for a breeder of Labs, Poodles, or Goldens.
Links
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Inkiing » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:51 am

Naeco wrote:
Gamora. wrote:

No reason to be livid, its the honest truth. I do agree that they should have told you beforehand. In your case, I would look for a breeder of Labs, Poodles, or Goldens.

you have all rights to be livid, if you look at it a handful of the bully breeds are not as naturally horrible as you think. its improper socialization, im assuming these breeds have more aggressive tendencies when incorrectly handled. I think of all things a dog already comfortable with you is more than perfect for a service dog. as for myself im from the US and a lot of places here have banned bully breeds,which is quite sad. agreed with Neaco they should have told you beforehand. As of right now my friend's brother currently has a golden lab which works great for him, and if you must look into a breed yourself i recommend them.
Inkiing "Ink"
he/him * adult player

Wanna Support My Art?
Deviant Art!
i do not handle any USD sales over CS, please refer to DA to do so

Custom Species Base!
Horse Genetics Guide
Inkiing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 am

Inkiing wrote:
Naeco wrote:
Gamora. wrote:

you have all rights to be livid, if you look at it a handful of the bully breeds are not as naturally horrible as you think. its improper socialization, im assuming these breeds have more aggressive tendencies when incorrectly handled. I think of all things a dog already comfortable with you is more than perfect for a service dog. as for myself im from the US and a lot of places here have banned bully breeds,which is quite sad. agreed with Neaco they should have told you beforehand. As of right now my friend's brother currently has a golden lab which works great for him, and if you must look into a breed yourself i recommend them.

Yes, I know not all bully breeds are. My aunt had rotties that I adored. This was on a pit bull thread so I assumed we were talking about a pit / pit mix. Pit Bulls are naturally dog aggressive which service dogs cannot be.
Links
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 am

Wrong. You can have a apbt that's no aggressive. I know several who adore the company of other dogs.
Last edited by cornspurrd. on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:16 am

Raleigh. wrote:Wrong. I have a pure breed american pit bull terrier who is a wonderful service dog, And he shows 0 agression and never did

Then you have an American Bully or mix of APBT

Links
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

No need to be mad, just the pure fact that most, if not all, bully breeds are not suitable for service work. And being sweet has literally nothing to do with being a good service dog. Also Dalmatian are very widely known for being extremely aggressive. No biased opinions as I own a purebred APBT, just facts.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me