Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Ritsu » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:21 am

I've never tried dried catnip for my cats. If someone else has, do your cats seem to like it?
    My cats usually only get catnip during the summer, since I grow it in my garden, but recently it hasn't been growing very well. Do you think it would be ok for them to switch over to a different type of it? If so, are there any certain brands that are better than others?

One of my cats really loves catnip, and since he goes outside he will destroy parts of my garden to eat it. The other cat doesn't really care for it unless I bring some in for cat #1.
Ritsu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 am

Maisie is only interested in catnip when it's in a toy, otherwise she won't touch it. She'll play with a catnip filled toy for hours but if I put down some loose catnip it's suddenly the most boring thing in the world.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TranquilKitty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:01 am

I have rubbed catnip on various scratchers and toys in the past and my cats still go crazy for it months later. When purchasing catnip, be sure to review the ingredients and check for any "filler" products such as straw. Many specialized pet stores won't even carry catnip that incliudes these added ingredients.
Research brands and be wary of cheap catnip or catnip toys.
Nope
TranquilKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby KeiOfTheWolves » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:26 am

Vagabond wrote:
    I've never tried dried catnip for my cats. If someone else has, do your cats seem to like it?
    My cats usually only get catnip during the summer, since I grow it in my garden, but recently it hasn't been growing very well. Do you think it would be ok for them to switch over to a different type of it? If so, are there any certain brands that are better than others?

One of my cats really loves catnip, and since he goes outside he will destroy parts of my garden to eat it. The other cat doesn't really care for it unless I bring some in for cat #1.

My cats usually have a bigger reaction to dried catnip. You might consider drying some yourself, it's very easy. That's where mine is from, I always collect enough during the summer to last for a few months.

When buying dried catnip, just check the ingredients. I've never seen any that contain anything other than "dried catnip" or "catnip," but it's always good to be sure.
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 22 people.
I have received 15 gifts.
KeiOfTheWolves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 pm

It's funny; Spike is one of those cats that has no interest in catnip at all. But maybe he's just too young.
My parents' cat, Neo, loves dried catnip though! Its easy to come by too, and inexpensive. You should give it a try, Vagabond.

Speaking of Spike, I took some new photos of him today. He has gotten so big already! He just turned 14 weeks and he's getting neutered on Wednesday.

| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ritsu » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:36 am

Thank you guys so much! I went out and got dried catnip. It turns out that the person in charge of my local pet store actually grows and dries her own catnip, and she let me have some to try for my cat. (the perks of being friends with a pet store owner!)
    I put a little bit on my cats' scratching post, and the one who usually doesn't care for it went crazy over it.
Ritsu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby collapsing » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 am

cute cat
collapsing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gaykittens » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:11 pm

some-rad-dude wrote:My cat, Zuko, is at the vet and has to stay there for a few days because he just had surgery to remove his blind eye. But he's doing ok. I've been checking on him.

He's finally home and doing well. And I have a "thank you" card for the vet staff.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (171.05 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Captured.PNG
Captured.PNG (349.88 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Gaykittens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gaykittens » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Zuko ripped a stitch slightly today and bled a little so he has a cone again but he's ok
Last edited by Gaykittens on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gaykittens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm

I'm glad your kitty's surgery went well! He's a handsome cat!

I was wondering what you guys thought of this food? I recently transitioned Spike to this food because it is a pretty good deal for the ingredients (about 6.80 for 3lb bag locally).
I know cats don't really need those vegetables as they're obligate carnivores, but I supplement his dry food with cooked chicken or fish once a day.

He seems okay with this food, but its a Walmart brand and I'm a nervous cat owner so I wanted some more opinions.
Thanks!
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me